Logjam at forward position

eye
09-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Shane Doan, Chris Gratton, Mike Johnson, Krystofer Kolanos, Daymond Langkow, Jan Hrdina, Ladislav Nagy, Tyson Nash, Andrei Nazarov, Landon Wilson, Branko Radivojevic, Brian Savage, Mike Sillinger, Daniel Cleary, Jeff Taffe, Chris Ferraro, Peter Ferraro, Kiel McLeod, Fredrik Sjostrom, Erik Westrum are the forwads still in camp as of today.

20 forwards for what is likely 13 forward roster spots. With 14 veteran forwards and a couple more with NHL experience which vet is on the way out or on the way down? With 14 of these players likely on one way contracts someone is going to be making a lot of money to sit in the stands or play in the AHL.

I think most of us can agree on the first 4 or 5 forwards to be sent down but the last couple of decisions will certainly be difficult. Your input. Keep in mind line chemistry and roles that players can or cannot fill.

09-23-2003, 08:19 AM
Obviously Taffe, Ferraro's, McLeod, Sjostrom, Westrum are going to the minors, but I think Cleary could see some time there too.

That means we end up with:
Nagy-Langkow-Doan
Savage-Kolanos-Johnson
Hrdina-Gratton-Radivojevic
Wilson-Sillinger-Nash
Nazarov

I think Cleary will be around as a callup if they need it and he's earned it. Nazarov is around soley as a goon, with a decreasing role probably. I don't think it's that big of an issue though, because if we see different injuries throughout the season you'll see the 7 listed above come in for spot duty, and then we'll see how they look in an NHL preview before the CBA expires.

Straydog
09-23-2003, 10:40 AM
I think Nazarov is the one to go. Do we really need a goon? He hasn’t done much to impress me as a goon and doesn’t get that much ice time anyway. I guess (not sure) that Taffe has an attitude and needs to grow up a bit and Cleary has to work harder to impress everyone, but these guys have talent. Nazarov is 29, only good for 3 or 4 goals on the season. I’m not trying to rag on him, but we’ve added enough size to this team. As long as Cleary or Taffe don’t disrupt the locker room, one of them should stay.

09-23-2003, 11:02 AM
I'm not worried about Cleary staying, he can probably contribute, but I don't think we have high expectations of him to. Taffe only needs to be on this team if he's playing the top 2 lines, otherwise he is better suited for the AHL.

Light the flame!

XX
09-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Nazarov needs to go bye bye

Podlesak is a perfect fit for his spot

Koytez7_28
09-23-2003, 04:37 PM
I'd like to see Freddie stay....

PhoPhan
09-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Nazarov needs to go bye bye

Podlesak is a perfect fit for his spot
That couldn't be further from the truth. Nazarov is an enforcer, while Podlesak will likely shy away from most contact, at least for the time being. Nazarov has little offensive ability, while Podlesak seems to be a decent playmaker. Naz cannot be utilised in most situations, while there are only a few scenarios where Pods would work best on the bench. The only thing they have in common is size.

XX
09-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Id rather have Podlesak in Nazarov's spot so he can get used to the NHL, and he has some skill.

The only thing Naz brings, is 1 hugging match per game. a waste

_Del_
09-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Id rather have Podlesak in Nazarov's spot so he can get used to the NHL, and he has some skill.

The only thing Naz brings, is 1 hugging match per game. a waste

I'd rather have Podelsek play real minutes in Springfield rather than be the 13th forward here and watch have the games from the box. This is only common sense...

donpaulo
09-24-2003, 12:32 AM
I am sure that if they could find a taker for Mr October Savage they would do the deal. For a team watching their budget this guy is certainly the ODD MAN OUT. Plus it frees up a spot for someone such as Sjostrom.
Who knows the may actually a get a Dman back for Brian who they can use for the blueline I find somewhat suspect without Teppo.

_Del_
09-24-2003, 01:31 AM
I am sure that if they could find a taker for Mr October Savage they would do the deal. For a team watching their budget this guy is certainly the ODD MAN OUT. Plus it frees up a spot for someone such as Sjostrom.
Who knows the may actually a get a Dman back for Brian who they can use for the blueline I find somewhat suspect without Teppo.

The problem with this is that they'd have to find a taker for Savage. And with that nifty contract they gave him, they can't. Anything you might be able to Salvage in trade would not help the team right now, unless you pay some of the contract, and that kind of defeats the purpose. Really, they can probably just bank on him being injured, sadly. That would free up room for Cleary. I don't think any of the youngsters are recalled for more than a cup of coffee...