Anyone want to take a new crack at the top 10 prospects?

Mizral
09-23-2003, 10:00 AM
What the hell, I'll give it a quick shot:

NOTE: This list is based upon three criteria. 1 - Potential, 2 - Age, and 3 - How close they are to being NHL players

1 - Ryan Kesler
2 - Tomas Mojzis
3 - Alex Auld
4 - RJ Umberger
5 - Brandon Reid
6 - Jason King
7 - Kirill Koltsov
8 - Tyler Bouck
9 - Nathan Smith
10 - Mikko Jokela

Close but no cigar: Rob McVicar, Brandon Nolan, Fedor Fedorov

That'd be a good rough draft I'd say.

Hi-wayman
09-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Same criteria as above only I'll do 21 because I think all 21 have a reasonable chance to make the NHL. The future looks bright:

1 - Ryan Kesler
2 - Tomas Mojzis
3 - Alex Auld
4 - Kirill Koltsov
5 - Tyler Bouck
6 - Jason King
7 - RJ Umberger
8 - Mikko Jokela
9 - Nathan Smith
10 - Rene Vydareny
11 - Brandon Reid
12 - Evgeny Gladskikh
13 - Ilia Krikunov
14 - Lukas Mensator
15 - Brandon Nolan
16 - Fedor Federov
17 - M A Bernier
18 - Martin Grenier
19 - Justin Morrison
20 - Rob McVicar
21 - Jesse Schultz

RI Canuck
09-23-2003, 11:17 AM
In the order they will make the team-

1. Brandon Reid
2. Ryan Kesler
3. Kirill Koltsov
4. Alex Auld
5. Jason King
6. R.J. Umberger
7. Tyler Bouck
8. Tomas Mojzis
9. Rob McVicar
10. Nathan Smith

canucksfan
09-23-2003, 11:26 AM
1.Koltsov
2.Umberger
3.Kesler
4.Auld
5.Reid
6.Mojzis
7.King
8.Smith
9.Bouck
10.Jokela

Impossibles
09-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Shouldn't umberger be removed from that list?

Sounds like he won't sign and he will re-enter the draft.

canucksfan
09-23-2003, 11:45 AM

He is still Canucks property and until he gets traded he is still considered a Canucks prospect.

orcatown
09-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Mizral - I think we should hold off on this till the camp and pre-season is done. Right now if a player has one good game he shoots up the rankings. Say if FF scores a couple he's suddenly back on the list.

We need the dust to settle and get a more complete picture.

Also it will be important to see how players are assigned. This will reflect where the organization stands with the prospects which is probably the most important factor in determining the ranking of the prospects.

The one thing your post does reflect is the growing reality that the prospects list must be extentsively revised.

incawg
09-23-2003, 12:16 PM

There was an interview with his agent this morning on 1040 and apparently talks have started up again. Sounds like a deal may get worked out after all.

Mizral
09-23-2003, 12:27 PM
We need the dust to settle and get a more complete picture.

Also it will be important to see how players are assigned. This will reflect where the organization stands with the prospects which is probably the most important factor in determining the ranking of the prospects.

The one thing your post does reflect is the growing reality that the prospects list must be extentsively revised.

I am not looking for a complete and definative list. That can come later. Just some lists for the midway point of Preseason/Camp/Rookie Camp. I'm sure by the end of preseason, some changes would be made.

Impossibles
09-23-2003, 12:28 PM
There was an interview with his agent this morning on 1040 and apparently talks have started up again. Sounds like a deal may get worked out after all.

Good to hear.
Umberger's in a tough spot.

If he doesn't sign, he goes back into the draft not having played any high level of hockey in a year, and probably gets drafted in the 3rd (maybe 2nd) round, so gets a lower contract then the one he is currently being offered.

Rageinthecage
09-23-2003, 12:30 PM

Umberger can't re-enter the draft as he's too old. Can't play his senior year at Ohio State due to hiring an agent. He has three choices this winter:

1)Move to Europe and learn a new language and culture asap, while playing for a team in one of the many elite leagues. Watch trade value drop off the map in the process.

2)Sign what Burke/Nonis offer to him and enjoy the Manitoba weather and long bus rides in the AHL.

3)Sit on his ass at home and watch hockey on the tube this season.

galiano
09-23-2003, 12:46 PM
I think more than anything this tells us that the Canucks finally have excellent depth at most positions. It's been a long time since we've had a list of this many prospects that will likely play in the NHL. Heck we even have depth in goal !

1 - Brandon Reid - if they give him a real shot he will be a hell of a player

2 - Alex Auld - So cool. Can't miss in 2 years

3 - Tomas Mojzis - finally a pp quarterback ? We got him for Brad Leeb ? ! ? So much for Toronto scouting and the overrated Pat Quinn

4 - Ryan Kesler - 3rd line winger with big upside

5 - Tyler Bouck - Cookies clone only a lot tougher

6 - Jason King - a real sniper

7- Kiril Koltsov - prima donna ? let's hope not

8- Mikko Jokela - this guy will be ready soon

9 - Nathan Smith - underestimated offence

10- Rob McVicar - holy #*#@% this guy is big

PecaFan
09-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Umberger can't re-enter the draft as he's too old. Can't play his senior year at Ohio State due to hiring an agent. He has three choices this winter:

1)Move to Europe and learn a new language and culture asap, while playing for a team in one of the many elite leagues. Watch trade value drop off the map in the process.

2)Sign what Burke/Nonis offer to him and enjoy the Manitoba weather and long bus rides in the AHL.

3)Sit on his ass at home and watch hockey on the tube this season.

4) Go to a lesser school, and become a UFA next year.

I'm pretty sure his agent said that was a possibility.

maruk14
09-23-2003, 03:27 PM
4) Go to a lesser school, and become a UFA next year.

I'm pretty sure his agent said that was a possibility.

I am fairly certain in all college athletics if a player transfers schools they have to sit out a year, no exceptions. I don't think Umberger could just transfer to a DII or DIII, or even an NAIA school and not sit out a year. I don't think this is an option for him.

I think at the end of the day he will get a contract worked out, but if that happens he will be way behind everyone else and will have to first work his way into the lineup. He will then start slow and Canuck fans will say he is a horrible prospect who should get traded for a 5th rounder :p

Mr. Canucklehead
09-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Given your critera...

1. Ryan Kesler
2. Tomas Mojzis
3. Kirill Koltsov
4. Alex Auld
5. Brandon Reid
6. Nathan Smith
7. Rene Vydareny
8. Jason King
9. Mikko Jokela
10. Lukas Mensator

~Canucklehead~

Yammer
09-23-2003, 05:09 PM
(trying not to look at any of the previous posts)

prospect = did not stay with the club through last season. occasional callups included.

Ranked in order of potential contribution in the NHL, not how close they are to making it.

1 Fedorov
2 Koltsov
3 Auld
4 Umberger
5 Mojzis
6 Reid
7 Kesler
8 Bernier
9 Davidsson
10 Smith

Edler Von Gud
09-23-2003, 06:31 PM
(9 Davidsson

I hope you mean Niklas Danielsson, and not Johan Davidsson :D

Danielsson had 3 goals for Brynas in the exhibition season. The SEL starts up today, but I don't think Brynas is playing today.

Fedz
09-23-2003, 08:32 PM
7 - RJ Umberger
8 - Mikko Jokela
9 - Nathan Smith
10 - Rene Vydareny
11 - Brandon Reid

Reid behing all of them? you crazy...he actually played in the NHL before, in the playoffs, he has more potential than 3 out of 5 guys there, hes not very old, and hes the closest player in the canuck organization prospect wise to make the NHL!

PecaFan
09-23-2003, 11:44 PM
I am fairly certain in all college athletics if a player transfers schools they have to sit out a year, no exceptions. I don't think Umberger could just transfer to a DII or DIII, or even an NAIA school and not sit out a year. I don't think this is an option for him.

Yeah, I wish I had heard the interview more closely, it was on in the background during a visit. I know the agent was asked if he could go back to Ohio State, and he said no. But he did say he could go to X and work out, and then become a free agent. X was some kind of lesser school, where friends were.

He may have just been talking about actually attending school. I assume that's allowed. :)

cyrisweb
09-23-2003, 11:47 PM
7 - RJ Umberger
and hes the closest player in the canuck organization prospect wise to make the NHL!

I disagree.. Kesler is above him.

cyrisweb
09-23-2003, 11:56 PM
IMO the Canucks top 10 currently should be..

1. Kesler(Will probably make the NHL next year)
2. Koltsov(Obviously still has some work to do, but potenial is much better than any other Canuck prospect)
3. Reid(Will have a much harder time making it than Kesler)
4. Auld(Has potential but has a much rougher road than any other)
5. Umberger
6. Mojsiz
7. Jokela
8. Bouck
9. King
10. Fedorov/Smith/Vydareny(switch any in of the 3 in and out as per daily outcomes)

Steveorama
09-24-2003, 05:26 AM
These are the prospects who will have the biggest NHL impact (not necessarily the most talented right now).

1)Umberger
2)Kesler
3)Koltsov
4)Mojzis
5)Bernier
6)Reid
7)Auld
8)Fedorov
9)Nolan
10)King

Sticky*
09-24-2003, 05:36 AM
These are the prospects who will have the biggest NHL impact (not necessarily the most talented right now).

1)Umberger
2)Kesler
3)Koltsov
4)Mojzis
5)Bernier
6)Reid
7)Auld
8)Fedorov
9)Nolan
10)King

Auld should definitely be higher than that, no less than top 4. Has a ton of potential, and down the road I feel that the trade Burke made to get him will be looked upon as a great trade.

maruk14
09-24-2003, 05:47 PM
He may have just been talking about actually attending school. I assume that's allowed. :)

Assuming student athletes actually attend class :)

monster_bertuzzi
09-24-2003, 05:51 PM
IMO prospects that will make an impact in the NHL.

1-Umberger (size,skill, and attitude)
2-Koltsov
3-kesler
4-Mojzis
5-Auld
6-Fedorov
7-MA Bernier
8-Reid
9-King
10-Vydarney

thecanucker
09-24-2003, 06:04 PM
1. Ryan Kesler
2. Kirill Koltsov
3. Tomas Mojzis
4. Alex Auld
5. R.J. Umberger
6. Brandon Reid
7. Jason King
8. Tyler Bouck
9. Fedorov
10. Rene Vydareny

C'nuckleHead
09-24-2003, 06:47 PM
1 - Alex Auld
2 - Brandon Reid
3 - Ryan Kesler
4 - Jason King
5 - Tyler Bouck
6 - Tomas Mojzis
7 - Fedor Fedorov
8 - Rene Vydareny
9 - Kirill Koltsov

monster_bertuzzi
09-24-2003, 07:54 PM
1 - Alex Auld
2 - Brandon Reid
3 - Ryan Kesler
4 - Jason King
5 - Tyler Bouck
6 - Tomas Mojzis
7 - Fedor Fedorov
8 - Rene Vydareny
9 - Kirill Koltsov

Riiiight...and I guess Umberger is #17?

iceburg
09-24-2003, 08:44 PM
In generating this list I realized that I weight upside potential more heavily than "closeness" to the NHL. It also struck me that there may not be a future top six forward in the group (Umberger probably has the most potential to be a top six NHL forward followed by Kesler)

1 - Kirill Koltsov - most upside but a long way off
2 - Ryan Kesler
3 - RJ Umberger
4 - Tomas Mojzis
5 - Alex Auld
6 - Brandon Reid - closest to NHL but limited upside
7 - Jason King
8 - Tyler Bouck - close to NHL but no better than a 3/4 line defensive
9 - Fedor Federov
10 - Mikko Jokela
honorable mention - Nathan Smith

Aerolanche
09-24-2003, 09:03 PM
01 - Brandon Reid - Reid is the closest to making it to the big club and is still young with good potential.
02 - Ryan Kesler - May make the big club next year. Better potential and age than Reid though.
03 - Kirill Koltsov - Kirill's potential is through the roof, but as mentioned, he is far from his potential at present time.
04 - Alex Auld - In my opinion, Auld will be the future of goaltending for the Canucks. He is young, big, quick, and has a good all-around system.
05 - Tomas Mojzis - Future quarterback on the powerplay. Can't wait to see a powerplay with Jovanovski, Koltsov and Mojzis.
06 - RJ Umberger - RJ has size and skill, that ain't bad.
07 - Fedor Fedorov - Stupidest name ever, heh, but I have a really good feeling that Fedor will be good.
08 - Jason King - King will be a good sniper when he matures.
09 - Tyler Bouck - As mentioned, another Matt Cooke in the making with better size.
10 - Mikko Yokela - Trading Stevey Kariya for Mikko Jokela all-of-a-sudden looks pretty good. Yokela has looked strong sofar this preseason.

Tom.H
09-24-2003, 11:25 PM
I really don't want to say what my prospect rankings are at this time.
But to me, based on potential alone, Fedorov has to be number one.
However, because of his bad attitute at the moment, I wouldn't put him in the top 10.
WAKE UP FEDOR!!!

C'nuckleHead
09-25-2003, 06:23 AM
Riiiight...and I guess Umberger is #17?

Unless you know something I don't, RJ isn't a Canuck yet. :teach:

Hi-wayman
09-25-2003, 06:34 AM
7 - RJ Umberger
8 - Mikko Jokela
9 - Nathan Smith
10 - Rene Vydareny
11 - Brandon Reid

Reid behing all of them? you crazy...he actually played in the NHL before, in the playoffs, he has more potential than 3 out of 5 guys there, hes not very old, and hes the closest player in the canuck organization prospect wise to make the NHL!

1 - Ryan Kesler
2 - Tomas Mojzis
3 - Alex Auld
4 - Kirill Koltsov
5 - Tyler Bouck
6 - Jason King
7 - RJ Umberger
8 - Mikko Jokela
9 - Nathan Smith
10 - Rene Vydareny
11 - Brandon Reid

No, not crazy. Hey. I am a fan of Reid's, but I'm looking at our depth chart & I don't see an opening for Reid & the skills he brings to a team in the same way as I see potential openings, combined with talent levels, for the prospects I listed above him. I don't see Reid being an effective player unless he is on the top two scoring lines. I don't consider short call ups to see how he plays as making the NHL either. I think the Canucks will let Reid play on the Moose rather than have him sit in Vancouver & unfortunately for Reid, there are many more prospects than normal coming up behind him so he may be unfortunately passed by just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I hope I'm wrong, but I see King's or Umberger's scoring skills more interesting to the team than Reid's speed & playmaking skill. I see Kesler's, Bouck's & Smith's agressive, defensive play placing them ahead of Reid inorder to make the 3rd or 4th lines. Auld won't make the team this year, but he's still much more likely to be an NHL regular than Reid by the way he's playing & developing so far. Koltsev, as a defenseman, has the same potential & upside as Auld. Jokela is in my opinion NHL ready for a regular #6D possition right now & the skating & upside of Vydareny & Mozjis makes me drool. Reid has NHL level skill & he has NHL level speed, but his size & weight works against him if there is any bigger prospect around that the team is also keen on. Right now Reid is in a similar situatioin that Kariya was in. What he has to do is body build himself up to get to have similar weight & muscles like Ronning or Fleury have, combined with an exceptional year on the Moose. Small players can make the NHL provided they have the body & muscles not to be shoved off the puck, but they also have to prove it constantly.

As another poster commented, this number of good prospects who are not automaticly making the Canucks roster is a good sign as to how deep & balanced the Canucks are. Very similar to the Devils & their farm team's depth.

monster_bertuzzi
09-25-2003, 09:54 AM
Unless you know something I don't, RJ isn't a Canuck yet. :teach:

Wrong! he can still be considered one of the prospects.