Next great Canadian NBA player?

leafaholix*
03-28-2005, 07:09 PM
There was a feature on a grade 9'er who plays in Georgia named Olu Ashaolu, he's from Brampton, Ontario and his coach said he's the best grade 9 basketball player in the US.

The coach said he has "LeBron James-like talent" or something like that and that Olu will be good enough to jump to the NBA out of high school, but will likely go to college.

They showed some clips of him and he's very talented. At 15 years old he's 6'7.

He said he missed home (Brampton) and they mentioned he played for grassroots Canada last year I think. This guy may be the next great Canadian prospect.

I'm happy with what's been coming out of Canada lately.

soya_sauce_chicken
03-28-2005, 07:32 PM
i haven't heard anything over here in the US about him so i doubt he is that good just yet..
plus by the time he finishes HS they might have enforced the age limit... because i know they are trying to do that now..

anguscertified
03-28-2005, 07:41 PM
There's a grade 10 and Handsworth (I believe) a high school in BC who is 6 foot 10 and has amazing skills...I read something in the Vancouver Sun a month or so ago about him.

leafaholix*
03-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Profile: http://memphis.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=23285&sport=2
Dunk: http://www.georgiaelitemagazine.com/OluHelicopter.htm
Clip: http://www.thescore.ca/video/151.asx
Top 2008 HS'ers: http://www.socalhoops.tierranet.com/wwwboard/messages/23574.html

leafaholix*
03-28-2005, 07:54 PM
There's also another guy named Theo Davis.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=141&p=8&c=1&nid=450636

Hopefully Davis goes to Syracuse, that's where Leo Rautins' son has committed to, he's also Canadian.

Leafs_Fa_Life
03-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Jevohn Shepherd from West Hill has committed to the University of Michigan next year. I think his teammate at West Hill, Nathan Skinner, will end up playing Division 1 ball in the NCAA too.

Hockeycanada*
03-28-2005, 08:12 PM
What about Juan Mendez(sp?) from Niagara. He put up huge numbers in this his senior year. Do you think he will make it in the NBA?

monster_bertuzzi
03-28-2005, 08:15 PM
There's a grade 10 and Handsworth (I believe) a high school in BC who is 6 foot 10 and has amazing skills...I read something in the Vancouver Sun a month or so ago about him.

Rob Sacre. 6'11'' 15 year old that goes to Handsworth secondary - already being scouted by American schools.

Leafs_Fa_Life
03-28-2005, 09:08 PM
What about Juan Mendez(sp?) from Niagara. He put up huge numbers in this his senior year. Do you think he will make it in the NBA?

Maybe. Somebody might grab him in the second round.

monkey_00*
03-28-2005, 10:57 PM

I can see maybe the Raptors going for him as a bench player and he would also be good PR for the team being Canadian and all.

leafaholix*
03-28-2005, 11:15 PM
I can see maybe the Raptors going for him as a bench player and he would also be good PR for the team being Canadian and all.Maybe as a free agent... though I'd like to see them use that Miami 2nd on him.

Douggy
03-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Top 2008 HS'ers: http://www.socalhoops.tierranet.com/wwwboard/messages/23574.html
The number 1 guy on that list is 5'4!

:handclap:

TVanek26*
03-28-2005, 11:22 PM
There's also another guy named Theo Davis.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=141&p=8&c=1&nid=450636

Hopefully Davis goes to Syracuse, that's where Leo Rautins' son has committed to, he's also Canadian.

There are no scholarships left,and anyway Andray Blatche is a much higher priority.

On Juan Mendez,I don't see him being drafted.He's a good player playing in a weak conference.

leafaholix*
03-28-2005, 11:48 PM
There are no scholarships left,and anyway Andray Blatche is a much higher priority.

On Juan Mendez,I don't see him being drafted.He's a good player playing in a weak conference.I don't expect him to get drafted, but competition wasn't the only reason Mendez did well.

The guy was a superb NCAA player, I don't think it'll translate to much in the NBA.

leafaholix*
03-28-2005, 11:49 PM
And by the way, Andray Blatche will very likely declare himself for the NBA draft this season, for personal reasons. That's what I've read.

TVanek26*
03-29-2005, 12:31 AM
And by the way, Andray Blatche will very likely declare himself for the NBA draft this season, for personal reasons. That's what I've read.

He'll likely only declare if he's guaranteed a 1st round pick.If he's not a 1st rounder,he'll go to Syracuse.

Edler Statesman*
03-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Sean Denison

leafaholix*
03-29-2005, 12:53 AM
He'll likely only declare if he's guaranteed a 1st round pick.If he's not a 1st rounder,he'll go to Syracuse.
Makes sense, since he's really looking for the money and 2nd round picks aren't guarenteed a contract.

TVanek26*
03-29-2005, 01:52 AM
Makes sense, since he's really looking for the money and 2nd round picks aren't guarenteed a contract.

Yeah,character wise I'm not too fond of Blatche...but he's a hell of a baller.

Doomsday Device
03-29-2005, 01:58 AM
In addition to Theo Davis, Ryan Wright (committed to UCLA) is also a top 50 recruit this year.

Hockeycanada*
03-29-2005, 01:13 PM

On Juan Mendez,I don't see him being drafted.He's a good player playing in a weak conference.
PLaying Oklahoma he scored 22 points, 15 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 2 steals in the NCAA tournament.

ObeySteve
03-29-2005, 02:04 PM
i haven't heard anything over here in the US about him so i doubt he is that good just yet..
plus by the time he finishes HS they might have enforced the age limit... because i know they are trying to do that now..

There isn't going to be an age limit. NCAA basketball doesn't really want it, and most of the NBA owners don't.

Belgian Fan
03-29-2005, 02:14 PM
I can't believe Dustin Rose hasn't been mentioned. Alhtough I'm hearing he might opt for a professional career in either Hockey, soccer, Football or table tennis in stead of an NBA career. But he's got the body, quckness and skills to make the NBA, no doubt...

Talk about Lebron-like potential...

Cerebral
03-29-2005, 04:56 PM
There isn't going to be an age limit. NCAA basketball doesn't really want it, and most of the NBA owners don't.
Where do you get that from? I've heard numerous division 1 coaches complain about the loss of talent to the NBA. Likewise, why would the NCAA spurn the opportunity to market these star players and make some coin.

Many of the NBA veterans are reportedy willing to cave in on the age limit (younger players means less veteran jobs) and a number of individuals have said that it is very likely under a new CBA. Most of the owners want it in place so that they can watch these guys play better competition and eliminate the Desagna Diop and Kwame Brown selections.

I personally think it is a great idea and it will help increase the quality of play in both leagues. It will be nice to actually watch some of the guys that are getting drafted play for a couple seasons and I'm sure the NBA scouts will relish the opportunity to properly scout these guys.

FearTheFlyers
03-30-2005, 07:13 AM
Kirk Hinrich

Ironchef Chris Wok*
03-30-2005, 07:28 AM
What happened to that Kyle soemthing from Surrey or one of the suburbs in BC? He was supposed to be good, but then he got his gf pregnant or something...

Doomsday Device
03-30-2005, 07:46 AM
What happened to that Kyle soemthing from Surrey or one of the suburbs in BC? He was supposed to be good, but then he got his gf pregnant or something...

That's Kyle Wilson. He played the last few years in the NCAA, first for UMass and then for San Jose State. But, I guess he didn't like his experience because he's forgoing his final year of eligibility to come back to Canada and play for Simon Fraser.

Habsfan 32
03-30-2005, 09:08 PM
I can't believe Dustin Rose hasn't been mentioned. Alhtough I'm hearing he might opt for a professional career in either Hockey, soccer, Football or table tennis in stead of an NBA career. But he's got the body, quckness and skills to make the NBA, no doubt...

Talk about Lebron-like potential...

He's certainly one of the best basket ball prospect around but he's so busy he does not have time.