Devils vs. Flyers in Trenton

MattNJD
09-23-2003, 12:46 PM
I'll be there baby!!! yea!!! Can't wait!! Anyone else going????? I live close to the arena so I'll make sure I have a post game report up as quickly as I can, once I'm back home. Lets Go Devils!

Uncle Hump
09-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Could you check how Greg Crozier plays if he suits up tonight? Thanks!

I'll be there baby!!! yea!!! Can't wait!! Anyone else going????? I live close to the arena so I'll make sure I have a post game report up as quickly as I can, once I'm back home. Lets Go Devils!

Unthinkable
09-23-2003, 03:55 PM
...according to the Flyers website. NHL.com isn't updated yet, but ESPN's scoreboard reflects the same score.

ratsgirl
09-23-2003, 03:58 PM
try the USA today site, they give more details:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores103/103266/20030923NHL--PHILADELPH0.htm

MattNJD
09-23-2003, 06:27 PM
I'm back everyone! Yes! a very very good game for the Devils fans in Trenton tongiht!! a 3-0 domination. A few things stuck out:

*Suglobov. Ok, this guy had me downright GIDDY! I can promise you this. Suglovbov WILL... *ABSOLUTLY WILL* be playing in NJ this year. I'm not saying he's gonna play a lot. I'm saying that at least, he will be an injury call up from time to time, hopefully a lot more. This guy has offensive powerhouse written all over him. He's crafty, he's shifty, and he's fast. I'm very excited about him. He's gonna light up the AHL.

*Philman is gonna need a little more time. He' looked ok, but not amazing. He'll need at least a year in Albany before he's ready for the big time. He has a very big frame... very tall. Once he really grows into it, he's gonna be a ball of terror.

*Hale & Martin got paired together pretty much all night. Both saw PP and PK time. Both have good qualities. Martin has a nasty wrist shot but he's another guy who needs to bulk up. Add 20 pounds to him and we'll talk, till than he's gonna need AHL time. Hale can hit, but again AHL time ain't gonna kill him.

*Giroux and Brown were both solid. Brown's a tough customer. Not a great fighter (Brashear murdered him) but he get's his nose dirty.

*Marty was sharp for 2 periods and Clemmensen was good on the 3rd. I think Clemmy could challenge Ari for the majority of the playing time in Albany. Not sure though becuase I have acutally never seen Ari play, just going on what I have seen of Clemmy in Voorhees and Trenton over the past few days.

*The only glaring weekness I saw was our fighting. Devils got in 3 fights and got absolutly killed in all of them. I mean, not even close. Brashear made Marshall and Brown look like punching bags. and Cam Jannsen got knocked around too. I'm starting to wonder if losing Jim McKenzie might be a bigger deal than many of us made it out to be. Who is our real muscle on the team?? Neither Marshall nor Brown are "real" fighers. I think this issue might need to be addressed by Lou. The Devil don't need to get pushed around by moron fighters when we can get a good one for a 9th rounder.

*Finally, this team has me very excited. Our D is solid. Our forwards looked good. Marty was perfect. Be happy boys and girls this is gonna be a fun season. Albany is gonna be nasty, and so are the Devils. Lets get this season started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MattNJD
09-23-2003, 06:32 PM
Could you check how Greg Crozier plays if he suits up tonight? Thanks!

Sorry Uncle Hump, he didn't play.

JasonMacIsaac
09-23-2003, 06:39 PM
I heard him and Gomez had pretty good chemistry, and I got flamed for thinking him on a line with Elias and Gomez was a good idea. How was balmochnykh.

MattNJD
09-23-2003, 06:44 PM
How was balmochnykh.

He didn't play tonight.

JasonMacIsaac
09-23-2003, 06:46 PM
he had an assist on Brylin's goal, this is scary lol

Blackjack
09-23-2003, 06:46 PM
by "him" I'm guessing you mean suglobov? I'm sorry I didn't get to see him at camp yet. It's really unbelievable, wasn't he wasting away on some 4th line in Russia just a year ago? It seems like all our prospects decided to mature in the last 6 months :dunno:

JasonMacIsaac
09-23-2003, 06:49 PM
All russian prospects waste away on 4th lines out there, some are so good they can prduce with little time. I don't care about RSL, I know he got selected to the WC team and got 3 goals, you need skill to do that.

And yes I was talking about Suglobov. lol

Blackjack
09-23-2003, 06:52 PM
And Balmocknikh is another one. When we traded for him last year Ducks fans told us he was retired. Now he's scoring assists from the press box? I mean seriously, I know the Devils are supposed to be good at developing talent, but holy Christ this out of the blue!

JasonMacIsaac
09-23-2003, 06:57 PM
I expected it, remember my hf thread.....youth invasion or something like that. I have to find it now.

Unthinkable
09-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Great to see Brodeur picking up right where he left off. Also good to read the news about Brown and Giroux being solid in addition to Suglobov showing more flashes of offensive talent.

MattNJD, the fighting thing really doesn't concern me all that much as the NHL has been increasingly distancing itself from the same league that used to promote its fights better then its goals and saves. I don't care if we lose every fight this season to be honest as it has so little bearing in todays NHL. Lou and Pat both realize this and its further evidenced by the kinds of players we drafted this summer. Speed and finesse will be a bigger factor from game to game then having a Donald Brashear type in the lineup every night (and yeah maybe Brashear is a bad example because he's proven he can score goals in the past but you get the idea). The real war is fought in the corners, in the crease, in the slot, and on the scoreboard as much as I can appreciate a great fight every now and then. No need for Lou to waste an entire roster spot with an offensively limited player whose soul purpose for the team is to fight the other teams designated goon from time to time. Our team toughness should be sufficient. The reluctance to instigate fights will hopefully give us a ton more PP opp's this season as well.

Blackjack
09-23-2003, 07:08 PM
I expected it, remember my hf thread.....youth invasion or something like that. I have to find it now.

You probably won't find it because of that woman Zoidberg.

JasonMacIsaac
09-23-2003, 07:09 PM
DAMNIT....snif...snif

DevilMinder
09-23-2003, 07:12 PM
I was at the game as well matt. Wasnt the Jannsen fight comical? He doesn't belong in the NHL. Between the sad hits he tried (borderline charging) he was almost crying for the Refs to break up the Vandermeer fight after HE threw the first couple of punches.

I agree on the rest of your notes. Suglobov looked very nice, hope he can finish more of his chances by the end of camp and he might just sty up.

Unthinkable
09-23-2003, 07:12 PM
You probably won't find it because of that woman Zoidberg.

Did anyone ever hear the whole story on what the hell happened with regards to having the entire HF database trashed aside from the user info? How did that happen and what happened to all the backups?

JasonMacIsaac
09-23-2003, 07:14 PM
I know the story but I'm not going to say anything about it, I was told not too. The guy who did it is real sorry though, trying to move files a different way and then the data goes.

Unthinkable
09-23-2003, 07:26 PM
I was at the game as well matt. Wasnt the Jannsen fight comical? He doesn't belong in the NHL. Between the sad hits he tried (borderline charging) he was almost crying for the Refs to break up the Vandermeer fight after HE threw the first couple of punches.

http://customwire.ap.org/photos/TN10309232206-small.jpg

This is kinda painful to look at. :joker:

Blackjack
09-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Good God, yet another photo that Flyers fans are going to ram down our throats for the next 10 years. :rolleyes:

JasonMacIsaac
09-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Man, its not his fault, its Burns for putting him in the lineup when he isn't ready. I feel sorry for the guy.

Unthinkable
09-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Only the 2nd game of the preseason for us. You don't know what you have until you see them in actual game conditions J-Mac. Now I realize why MattNJD was so concerned though.

Blackjack
09-23-2003, 07:40 PM
Actually, I'm glad this happend to Janssen, now he know where he stands and what he has to work on. I'm just dissapointed about how that picture came out.

Unthinkable
09-23-2003, 07:49 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030924/capt.1064365721.flyers_devils_tn102.jpg

New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur, left, covers the puck in front of Philadelphia Flyers' Tony Amonte and Jeremy Roenick during the second period of a preseason game at The Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton, N.J. Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2003.
(AP Photo/Brian Branch-Price)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030924/capt.1064362294.flyers_devils_tn101.jpg

New Jersey Devils' Jamie Langenbrunner, left, raises his hands after assisting on a goal against Philadelphia Flyers goalie Robert Esche during the first period of a preseason game in Trenton, N.J., Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2003. Mike Rupp, background right, scored the goal.
(AP Photo/Brian Branch-Price)

DevilFisch
09-23-2003, 07:49 PM
Actually, I'm glad this happend to Janssen, now he know where he stands and what he has to work on. I'm just dissapointed about how that picture came out.

A few years later, maybe we'll see Janssen do the same to Vandermeer.

Well, maybe not.

gmdevils
09-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Flyers fans are going to ram down our throats

Maybe you could've chose a better phrase???

:)

Devils Unseen Hand
09-23-2003, 11:55 PM
*The only glaring weekness I saw was our fighting. Devils got in 3 fights and got absolutly killed in all of them. I mean, not even close. Brashear made Marshall and Brown look like punching bags. and Cam Jannsen got knocked around too. I'm starting to wonder if losing Jim McKenzie might be a bigger deal than many of us made it out to be. Who is our real muscle on the team?? Neither Marshall nor Brown are "real" fighers. I think this issue might need to be addressed by Lou. The Devil don't need to get pushed around by moron fighters when we can get a good one for a 9th rounder.

This is way I said we need to call up Skrlac for games like this. I don't care how much fighting is down, this is one of the ways we lose players for the long term when they aren't decent heavyweight fighters.

We can win all we want, but we cannot be paper tigers if we plan to contend for a title! Flyer fans will remind of us of this game for a little while....that's for sure!

Unthinkable
09-24-2003, 09:28 AM
http://www.thnt.com/thnt/story/0,21282,815956,00.html

THIS AND THAT: A third-period fight left Devils coach Pat Burns upset. New Jersey's Grant Marshall and Philadelphia's Donald Brashear exchanged swings before Marshall tumbled to the ground. Brashear continued throwing punches at his opponent while Marshall was on the ground. "I've never seen that," Burns said. "Good fighters respect those things." For his part, Marshall kept throwing punches while flat on his back. "It was probably my own fault," Marshall said. "That's the way it goes. The big thing is we won." New Jersey defenseman Sean Brown went after Brashear later in the third, making quick pals of his new teammates. . . . Martin Brodeur was sharp in his first outing of the preseason. He stopped all 14 of the shots he faced during the first two periods, and was pulled before the start of the third. Scott Clemmensen kept the shutout in tact with five saves in the third. . . . Marshall, Sergei Brylin, and Mike Rupp scored on three of New Jersey's first five shots to give the Devils early breathing room... The Devils will be honored for their Stanley Cup Championship season with a visit to the White House on Monday. Devils coach Pat Burns said he's looking forward to it. Individual game tickets for the regular season go on sale the same day.

Unthinkable
09-24-2003, 09:35 AM
This is way I said we need to call up Skrlac for games like this. I don't care how much fighting is down, this is one of the ways we lose players for the long term when they aren't decent heavyweight fighters.

We can win all we want, but we cannot be paper tigers if we plan to contend for a title! Flyer fans will remind of us of this game for a little while....that's for sure!

You can lose players for the long term when they screw their hands up making contact with injection molded helmets or they go down hard twisting an ankle or pulling a muscle trying to be "the man" just the same though. If your skill players get drawn into the fighting and they somehow injure themselves whether they are sticking up for teammates or not, its a loss for the team no question about it. Paper tigers or no, the Devils won the Stanley Cup last season without icing a bunch of rough necks looking to constantly initiate big fights. Its still a part of the game of hockey, but who really cares who won the fights at the end of the night as long as the team keeps winning and the team isn't humiliated?

Unthinkable
09-24-2003, 09:46 AM
http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/106438173798870.xml
After Flyers winger Donald Brashear dropped Ray Giroux with a third-period hit, Devils defenseman Sean Brown challenged Brashear to a fight. When both dropped their gloves, Grant Marshall stepped in and took some punches from Brashear while lying on the ice as Brown and Jim Vandermeer tangled.

"I just know the rule is you never punch somebody when they're down," Burns said. "Brashear was smashing his face on the ice. I never saw that before. A good fighter respects those things."

Marshall, who received an instigater penalty, said, " I wanted to fight Vandermeer because he slashed Brown from behind. Brashear went after me and I didn't respond. When you have that big guy on you, I'm fighting for my life."

Brown and Brashear finally did fight with 1:21 remaining. "You want to show you'll be there for your teammate," Brown said. "I think Brashear took advantage of Marshall on the ground."