Possible for Crosby to make the U20 WJC?

Ford Prefect
09-23-2003, 01:00 PM
Is it possible that Sid can make team Canada? I guess the question is more if it is likely that he make the team. I don't recall him being invited to the Junior camp last month. If he continues on the path he's on, it would be pretty hard to leave him off the team.

MartinStLouis
09-23-2003, 01:07 PM
I think from what i am hearing is he wasnt invited because he was at the U18 Tourney so he could not do both at once, of course this statement could be totally false. But most likely he will play for the U20 team, he was one of the leading scorers if not the #1 at the U18 so it would be stupid not to place him at the camp at least.

Canadian
09-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Jason Spezza and Jay Bouwmeester weren't invited to Summer Developmental Camp in August when they were 15/16, but they were still invited to the Selection Camp in December. Crosby will be invited if he continues his pace and if he doesn't get injured. If he doesn't, I don't know what Blair M. is thinking.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
09-23-2003, 01:11 PM
How can I put this nicely...he has under a 5% chance of making the U20 team this year.

Vincent_TheGreat
09-23-2003, 01:37 PM
How can I put this nicely...he has under a 5% chance of making the U20 team this year.

Yeah, why is that. Don't throw **** your ass can't cash!!

Hitman*
09-23-2003, 02:09 PM
If he keeps playing the way he does, they wouldn't have an excuse not to send him. Especially if some of the top eligible juniors make it to the NHL (mainly Horton and Staal).

He could even make an impact if he goes.

canucksfan
09-23-2003, 02:12 PM
If he keeps playing the way he does then he'll make it.

Mike8
09-23-2003, 02:30 PM

Don't expect a response. It's typical Tuomo Ruutu's Ego behaviour to drop by with an obnoxious comment, fail to give the statement any basis, and never make another appearance in the thread.

As for the original question, I don't see why he wouldn't be given consideration so long as he keeps up his current pace. And that's a fairly big 'if'.

Anfernic
09-23-2003, 04:24 PM
It's simple, right now, Sidney is better than Jason Spezza was at his first under 20 so don't be surprised if he is invited.

Now he is already one of the top players in the Q

Epsilon
09-23-2003, 06:03 PM
It's simple, right now, Sidney is better than Jason Spezza was at his first under 20 so don't be surprised if he is invited.

Personally I don't really think so, I was more impressed by Spezza at the same age. I also think his chances of making it, while not zero, are lower than when Spezza made it because it seems in the last few years the Canadian team has made a point of bringing more experienced, mature players. Last year's team would be a good example of that philosophy (which I think is a good one).

RyanM
09-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Sid will maken it and at worst be a 2nd line player on that team. Thats my prediction. Another 1+1 tonight.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-23-2003, 06:26 PM
He has a chance to make the team.

Erngueva
09-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Another 2 points for him tonight 1 goal 1 assist against Cape Breton . 11 points in 5 games.

BCCHL inactive
09-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Sid will maken it and at worst be a 2nd line player on that team. Thats my prediction. Another 1+1 tonight.

Any 16 year-old making that team is a 4th liner (or 7th defenceman for D-Men). Spezza and Bouwmeester got very little playing time when they made it at 16, and they had just as much hype as Crosby does.

Dr.Sens(e)
09-23-2003, 07:04 PM
He definitely has a chance to make the team, and it's a lot more than 5%. He has already made an impression in international play, and if he is close to the league lead in the Q in scoring, then he will be all but guaranteed an invite to the evaluation camp. Especially given the pressure Hockey Canada will feel from the public (at least for the invite).

And if he's invited to the camp, then he obviously has the opportunity to make the team.

Keep in mind that while they do like older players on the WJC, they often like to have at least one young player on the team who might play at the WJC for a couple of years. Getting Crosby some expose at the WJC this year - even as the 13th forward - will be valuable for him in future WJC as he takes on more of leadership role. Of course, if he continues to progress, his draft year will probably be his last in WJC play.

JasonMacIsaac
09-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Spezza doesn't have this type of hype, Spezza had the Cherry's hype, Crosby has the Great One's Hype going for him. I will make another bold prediction. I say he leads Canada's under 20 team in points.

Zine
09-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Spezza doesn't have this type of hype, Spezza had the Cherry's hype, Crosby has the Great One's Hype going for him. I will make another bold prediction. I say he leads Canada's under 20 team in points.

Crosby's definately good enough to make the team, but let's not get carried away. Crosby won't lead the U-20 team in points.

canucksfan
09-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Crosby's definately good enough to make the team, but let's not get carried away. Crosby won't lead the U-20 team in points.
Yeah I agree he won't lead tournament in scoring and he won't lead Canada in scoring. I think he has a good shot to play on the fourth or third line.

JasonMacIsaac
09-24-2003, 08:41 AM
He is playing with leeches now and still getting 11 points in 5 games, no matter who you play him with he will score. Save this thread.

Capt Tuttle
09-24-2003, 10:11 AM

Now he is already one of the top players in the Q

Some people forget how good Spezza was at 15/16/17. He had 71 points in 67 games as a 15 year old in the O (a year younger than Crosby) and played for the Canadian National that same year as a 16 year old. He was also named as 1 of the 3 all star forwards in the WJCs at the very young age of 17. Relative to his earlier years, Spezza has "struggled" his last couple of years. I believe that to be because of his lanky build, he has only now grown into his body.

Having said that, I agree that Crosby looks like he may even be better. Despite the negative posts about how he may become another Fogarty, Daigle, whoever, simply put, the kid is awesome. Everywhere he has played up he has dominated on the scoreboard similiar to Gretzky. (No, I am not saying he will be as good or better as Gretzky). However, based on his play so far, his performance compares as close to Gretzky's as any other player I can remember.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
09-24-2003, 12:34 PM

A) Canada is a very deep country talent-wise, they have players who are as skilled or better, that are older and more mature.

B) Crosby is only 16 years old. Refer to point A).

The odds are definantely against him making the team, he has a low percent chance of making it. Sure, he might make it, but he will really have to go above and beyond to do it. He will need a brilliant training camp, not just a regular one.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
09-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Don't expect a response. It's typical Tuomo Ruutu's Ego behaviour to drop by with an obnoxious comment, fail to give the statement any basis, and never make another appearance in the thread.

Well well well, looks like I proved you wrong. Please think next time before you open your pie hole little boy. Typical to drop by with an obnoxious comment? Right...I'm sorry I can't spend multiple hours a day in front of a computer screen replying to all you people. I have a life outside of this message board, and if I read the comments and didn't reply it was because I had nothing to add. Sorry, but I don't post pad, if I have nothing to say, I have no need to post a message to it.

Would you like me to reply every time you reply to my posts saying "ok, I read it"? Would that give you a great deal of satasfaction?

If you can't handle my posts, don't read them. But don't ***** and whine like theres no tomorrow.

Alex126
09-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Crosby will definitively make the Canada Team for the next U20 tournament. He's simply a phenomenon. For his teamate it's like he's from an other planet. They have difficulties to understand the way he plays and they are unable to supplement his plays. We are very lucky in Rimouski to have him because he's something to watch.

Hitman*
09-24-2003, 02:32 PM
A) Canada is a very deep country talent-wise, they have players who are as skilled or better, that are older and more mature.

They may be older, but you can't say they are better. Look at canada's team last year. Do you really think that Derek Roy is better than Eric Staal? Age does not equal skill.

His age should have nothing to do with the selection process and it most likely wont. Its not like Canada doesn't take 16 year olds (Spezza and Bouwmeester). And he's proving to be one of the best players around already.

SpezNc
09-24-2003, 03:36 PM
I think that every fans rooting for Canada want to see him in the team.. If team canada fails, Team Canada will be critizised by all the fans if he did not made the team..

I expect to see him at the december camp..... and after, it's to Crosby to prove he deserve a spot.. and more than the extra attacker..

I think he will be the 3rd line center.... or the 4th...... and some time on the PP.... Like C.J did with Spezza when he was 16 yr old.....

reffree
09-24-2003, 04:55 PM

Russia have a lot more deep than Canada last year and Zherdev and Ovechkin make it... it's pretty simple, take the best player in the country and Crosby is one of those, that's it !

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
09-24-2003, 05:37 PM
They may be older, but you can't say they are better. Look at canada's team last year. Do you really think that Derek Roy is better than Eric Staal? Age does not equal skill.

Oh please. Derek Roy played for the most part as the 4th line, energy center. Eric Staal is not an energy center. The line of Roy, Paille and Tootoo was there for a reason, to get the crowd into the game and throw hard hits.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
09-24-2003, 05:39 PM
I think that every fans rooting for Canada want to see him in the team.. If team canada fails, Team Canada will be critizised by all the fans if he did not made the team..

I expect to see him at the december camp..... and after, it's to Crosby to prove he deserve a spot.. and more than the extra attacker..

I think he will be the 3rd line center.... or the 4th...... and some time on the PP.... Like C.J did with Spezza when I was 16 yr old.....

:joker: Please don't generalize, I don't want to see this 16 year old flopping around out there in December. He has no place in this tournament, he wasn't even the top scorer at the U-18, why would team Canada be criticized for not taking Crosby if they lost? We all know that since he couldn't do dittle squad at the U-18, that he will impress at the U-20 if he is selected to go. Watch out, all the U-20 records are in jeopardy of being smashed with this kid around! :lol:

Stanger31
09-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Well well well, looks like I proved you wrong. Please think next time before you open your pie hole little boy. Typical to drop by with an obnoxious comment? Right...I'm sorry I can't spend multiple hours a day in front of a computer screen replying to all you people. I have a life outside of this message board, and if I read the comments and didn't reply it was because I had nothing to add. Sorry, but I don't post pad, if I have nothing to say, I have no need to post a message to it.

Would you like me to reply every time you reply to my posts saying "ok, I read it"? Would that give you a great deal of satasfaction?

If you can't handle my posts, don't read them. But don't ***** and whine like theres no tomorrow.

Someone is *****ing and moaning but i'm not gonna imply who. And the only reason you responded was because he said you wouldn't.
And your reasoning for why he wouldn't make the team is irrelevant. He's got enough talent to be on the team, and he's dealt with more pressure and maturity than almost anyone that is gonna make the Canadian World Junior team. Try being compared to Gretzky and not feeling pressure, he's very mature if you ask me and would be the type of guy I want in the gold medal game against russia when we can't score a goal to get back into it.
Remember he didn't ask to be called the next Gretzky or coin himself the next Gretzky, he just goes with the flow and tries to do his best. Don't count him out for being young, or say he isn't mature because he is young. That is closed minded and ignorant.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
09-24-2003, 05:45 PM
Russia have a lot more deep than Canada last year and Zherdev and Ovechkin make it... it's pretty simple, take the best player in the country and Crosby is one of those, that's it !

Good grief. Russia is deeper than Canada? Umm, no. Sorry, but who has the most NHL calibre players? Oh yeah, that's right, Canada does. We dominate the hockey world at every level, U-18, U-20, Women's, Men's, we do it all. We might lose the odd year or two, but we medal in every most every year in the U-20, olympics etc.

And Zherdev plus Ovechkin were both 17 year olds this year if I remember correctly. And Crosby will be a 16 year old. There is no comparison. Zherdev was 2003 eligible, Ovechkin was 2003 eligible + 2 days(so 2004 eligible, but really just as old as all the 2003 eligibles). Sidney Crosby is clearly a 2005 eligible player.

But how do you know that Crosby is one of the best players in the country? You must be a professional scout or something, because the average fan wouldn't be stupid enough to claim someone was good enough without seeing all the competition he is up against. I can say I am the best player in Canada, doesn't make it true. You can say Crosby is the best player in Canada, that's just ridiculous. Staal, Horton, Fleury, Coburn, etc. - Crosby is better than all these players? Please tell me you were joking...

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
09-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Someone is *****ing and moaning but i'm not gonna imply who. And the only reason you responded was because he said you wouldn't.

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion, I am entitled to mine. You think I would take time out of my day to show some internet yahoo that I don't just make obnoxious comments and leave? Good lord, you really must be joking. I have nothing to prove to anyone on these boards, I came and responded because I read threads I reply to.

reffree
09-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Good grief. Russia is deeper than Canada? Umm, no. Sorry, but who has the most NHL calibre players? Oh yeah, that's right, Canada does. We dominate the hockey world at every level, U-18, U-20, Women's, Men's, we do it all. We might lose the odd year or two, but we medal in every most every year in the U-20, olympics etc.

And Zherdev plus Ovechkin were both 17 year olds this year if I remember correctly. And Crosby will be a 16 year old. There is no comparison. Zherdev was 2003 eligible, Ovechkin was 2003 eligible + 2 days(so 2004 eligible, but really just as old as all the 2003 eligibles). Sidney Crosby is clearly a 2005 eligible player.

But how do you know that Crosby is one of the best players in the country? You must be a professional scout or something, because the average fan wouldn't be stupid enough to claim someone was good enough without seeing all the competition he is up against. I can say I am the best player in Canada, doesn't make it true. You can say Crosby is the best player in Canada, that's just ridiculous. Staal, Horton, Fleury, Coburn, etc. - Crosby is better than all these players? Please tell me you were joking...

you probably forgot who win the last gold medal game between the two... and probably forgot than if we exchange Fleury and Medvedev in goal Canada look out of place... I have the game on tape if you want to have an other chance to see it...you look to miss something

and hmm don't think I said Crosby was the best player in Canada...I say he is one of the top 12 forward... and YEAHHHH Fleury is right now a lot better than Crosby great affirmation... but I simply don't know how it affect Crosby presence in the team :dunno:

BCCHL inactive
09-24-2003, 05:58 PM
He is playing with leeches now and still getting 11 points in 5 games, no matter who you play him with he will score. Save this thread.

But he is doing this in the QMJHL. You are calling for him to do the same against the top junior players on the planet in a U20 world championship. Big difference.

We might lose the odd year or two, but we medal in every most every year in the U-20, olympics etc.

We do medal most years, but keep in mind that the U20 used to be all Canada, and sometimes Russia/Soviet Union...and it was proven with the five straight U20 championships. Since then (1997), however, Canada has 3 silver and 2 bronze medals in the last 6 tournaments. We simply don't dominate the entry level scene like we used to.

JasonMacIsaac
09-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Van I know he is doing it in the QMJHL, but look at his linemates, everything he touches turns to gold. Give the guy Horton, Pouliot, Stall.. or any other guy that makes team Canada and I think he will put on a scary show.

JasonMacIsaac
09-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Not this year but the next will boast a really strong team canada.

BCCHL inactive
09-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Van I know he is doing it in the QMJHL, but look at his linemates, everything he touches turns to gold. Give the guy Horton, Pouliot, Stall.. or any other guy that makes team Canada and I think he will put on a scary show.

You are only thinking about who he is playing with, and not who he is playing against.

While he would be playing with better players on the 4th line of Team Canada than he is in Rimouski, he will also be playing against the best players the world has to offer at the U20 level. The guys he will play against there are 10 times better than what he is facing now.

Slay
09-24-2003, 06:32 PM
We do medal most years, but keep in mind that the U20 used to be all Canada, and sometimes Russia/Soviet Union...

Hm sometimes?

<TABLE width=626 border=0 align="center" cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=1
bgColor=#a7a7a7 class=scorechartbkg>
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ceccc4>
<TD width="46"> <DIV align=center><B>Year</B></DIV></TD>
<TD width="205"> <DIV align=center><B>Site</B></DIV></TD>
<TD width="123"> <DIV align=center><B>Gold</B></DIV></TD>
<TD width="122"> <DIV align=center><B>Silver</B></DIV></TD>
<TD width="124"> <DIV align=center><B>Bronze</B></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TR vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#f7ede0>
<TD> <DIV align=center>2003</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><B>Halifax, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Russia</font></strong></DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><B>Canada</B></DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Finland</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TR vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#fbf4ea>
<TD> <DIV align=center>2002</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Pardubice, Czech Rep.</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Russia</font></strong></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>2001</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Moscow, Russia</strong></font></DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Czech Republic</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>2000</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Skelleftea, Sweden</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Russia</strong></font></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1999</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><B>Winnipeg, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Russia</strong></font></DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Slovakia</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1998</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Helsinki, Finland</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Switzerland</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1997</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Geneva, Switzerland</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>United States</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1996</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Boston, United States</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Sweden</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1995</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><B>Red Deer, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1994</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1993</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Gävle, Sweden</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Czechoslovakia</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1992</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Germany</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>CIS</strong></font></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1991</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Soviet Union</font></strong></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1990</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Soviet Union</font></strong></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1989</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Anchorage, United States</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Soviet Union</strong></font></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1988</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Moscow, USSR</strong></font></DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Soviet Union</strong></font></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1987*</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1986</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1985</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1984</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1983</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Leningrad, USSR</font></strong></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1982</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Rochester, United States</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1981</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1980</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1979</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Karlstad, Sweden</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1978</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><strong>Montreal, Canada</strong></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1977</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Banska, Bystrica</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1976</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Turku, Finland</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1975</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><strong>Winnipeg, Canada</strong></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1974</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><strong><font color="#FF0000">Leningrad, USSR</font></strong></DIV></TD>
</TR>
</TBODY>
</TABLE>

JasonMacIsaac
09-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Maybe so but as opponents get better so do teamates, I know where you are going but I still think he is that dominant.

canucksfan
09-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Hm sometimes?

<TABLE width=626 border=0 align="center" cellPadding=0 cellSpacing=1
bgColor=#a7a7a7 class=scorechartbkg>
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ceccc4>
<TD width="46"> <DIV align=center><B>Year</B></DIV></TD>
<TD width="205"> <DIV align=center><B>Site</B></DIV></TD>
<TD width="123"> <DIV align=center><B>Gold</B></DIV></TD>
<TD width="122"> <DIV align=center><B>Silver</B></DIV></TD>
<TD width="124"> <DIV align=center><B>Bronze</B></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>2003</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><B>Halifax, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>2002</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Pardubice, Czech Rep.</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>2001</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Moscow, Russia</strong></font></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>2000</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Skelleftea, Sweden</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1999</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><B>Winnipeg, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Slovakia</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1998</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Switzerland</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1997</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Geneva, Switzerland</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1996</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Boston, United States</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1995</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><B>Red Deer, Canada</B></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1994</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1993</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Gävle, Sweden</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1992</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>CIS</strong></font></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1991</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1990</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1989</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Anchorage, United States</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1988</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><font color="#FF0000"><strong>Moscow, USSR</strong></font></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1987*</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1986</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1985</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1984</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1983</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1982</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Rochester, United States</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1981</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1980</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1979</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Karlstad, Sweden</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1978</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><strong>Montreal, Canada</strong></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1977</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Banska, Bystrica</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1976</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center>Turku, Finland</DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1975</DIV></TD>
<TD> <DIV align=center><strong>Winnipeg, Canada</strong></DIV></TD>
</TR>
<TD> <DIV align=center>1974</DIV></TD>
</TR>
</TBODY>
</TABLE>

Canada didn't put it's best junior players in until 1982. That's why the USSR has all the medals in the 70's and early 80's.

BCCHL inactive
09-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Maybe so but as opponents get better so do teamates, I know where you are going but I still think he is that dominant.

He won't dominate from the 4th line. And that is where he will play if he makes this team. He won't get any more ice time than Spezza and Bouwmeester did.

JasonMacIsaac
09-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Spezza never did good at the WJC anyway so that goes out the window. What does the 4th line get at the WJC most years. 10 min a game ?

Slay
09-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Canada didn't put it's best junior players in until 1982. That's why the USSR has all the medals in the 70's and early 80's.

Good excuse but anyway it doesn't prove that Canada would win it. Now my excuse ;) I can say that Canada won 5 champs in a row in the middle 90s only because Russia had huge economical crisis.
Anyway in 1978 Gretzky played for Canada, I suppose he wasn't the best eh

canucksfan
09-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Good excuse but anyway it doesn't prove that Canada would win it. Now my excuse ;) I can say that Canada won 5 champs in a row in the middle 90s only because Russia had huge economical crisis.
Anyway in 1978 Gretzky played for Canada, I suppose he wasn't the best eh
Greztky was 16 at the time. Canada sent the team that won the Memorial Cup not the team with the best players on it. Russia still has a horrible economy and they are winning.

BCCHL inactive
09-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Spezza never did good at the WJC anyway so that goes out the window. What does the 4th line get at the WJC most years. 10 min a game ?

More like 3-4 minutes a game...just like a 4th liner on any other team.

And how does Spezza as a 17 and 18 year-old not doing well throw his 4th line status as a 16 year-old out the window? Crosby is at the same point in his career right now that Spezza was as a 16 year-old....and Spezza had a full Major Junior season under his belt to boot while Crosby played US Prep School hockey as a 15 year-old.

Slay
09-24-2003, 07:14 PM
Russia still has a horrible economy and they are winning.

Just want to let you know that you don't know much about Russia and present economic situation in Russia ;) it is not even comparable to 90s

BCCHL inactive
09-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Greztky was 16 at the time. Canada sent the team that won the Memorial Cup not the team with the best players on it.

This has to be wrong.

First of all, Wayne Gretzky never played in a Memorial Cup Tournament, nevermind winning one.

Secondly, how do you think that would have worked...sending the Memorial Cup champions to a tournament at Christmas time, during the season?

Hitman*
09-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Secondly, how do you think that would have worked...sending the Memorial Cup champions to a tournament at Christmas time, during the season?

I think there might be a few complaints from the Imports when you said they were playing for Canada :p

Johnny
09-24-2003, 07:53 PM
This has to be wrong.

First of all, Wayne Gretzky never played in a Memorial Cup Tournament, nevermind winning one.

His general point is correct with regards to Canada not sending it's best until 82, just lacks specifics. You are right that Gretzky never played in a Memorial cup tournament, let alone won one.

A brief Summary from 73-82, from the 2000-01 Canadian hockey magazine.

"1973-74 Representing Canada was the Peterborough Petes, showed well against national teams to earn a bronze medal but lost 9-0 to the Soviets.

1974-75 Representing Canada was the Western junior all-star team which included Trottier for the event in Minnesota and Manitoba. Canada took the silver medal, losing only to the Soviets 4-3.

1975-76 The Sherbooke Beavers finished second, again by way of loss to the Soviets.

1976-77 This was the first eight-nation, official world junior tournament and the bolstered Hamilton Fincups took the silver medal. Again only loss to the Soviets.

1977-78 the tournament was in Montreal, Hull and Quebec City. An all-star team represented Canada, including Gretzky, Vaive and Ramage. Canada finished third losing to the Soviets and Czechoslovakia.

1978-79 the New Westminer Bruins were fifth in Sweden, missing the medal round.

1979-80 The Petes missed the medal round, finishing fifth.

1980-81 The last Canadian club team in the world tournament, the Cornwall Royals finished seventh in Barvaria.

1981-82 Dave King coached the first true Canadain national junior team in Minnesota. The Canucks gave the Soviets their worst beating 7-0, then tied Czechoslovakia to clinch the country's first title."

canucksfan
09-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Just want to let you know that you don't know much about Russia and present economic situation in Russia ;) it is not even comparable to 90s
I know that it isn't as bad as the early 90's but it is really bad right now.

Slay
09-24-2003, 09:01 PM

The phrase " it is really bad right now" is really makes me think of how do I survive (lol) here in Siberia ;)Well the answers is easly! I am sure it is not harder than to survive in British Columbia lol ;) Simple as it is!
The economical situation in Russia one of the best among all East European countries.

PS: yeah yeah I know a bit off topic :)

target
09-25-2003, 03:58 AM
:joker: Please don't generalize, I don't want to see this 16 year old flopping around out there in December. He has no place in this tournament, he wasn't even the top scorer at the U-18, why would team Canada be criticized for not taking Crosby if they lost? We all know that since he couldn't do dittle squad at the U-18, that he will impress at the U-20 if he is selected to go. Watch out, all the U-20 records are in jeopardy of being smashed with this kid around! :lol:
"Couldn't do dittle at the U18" Crosby was top scorer for Canada as a underage, and finished top 5 in the entire tourney. No place in the tourney... what are you talking about.having an opinion is one thing, but you opinions sound more personal than anything...Hmmm

Capt Tuttle
09-25-2003, 04:29 AM

He was the all-star centre at the 2001 WJC as a 17 year old.

Triple Klutz
09-25-2003, 04:58 AM
Further to Canada's junior reps in the 1970s. They would send the Memorial Cup champion to the world juniors the year AFTER they won the Memorial Cup, so the best players from the championship team would usually have moved on to the NHL or minors. Also, the '78 team with Gretzky on it was the only true Canadian all-star team from that era. The national team program didn't begin until 1982.

Pwk
09-25-2003, 09:47 AM
Crosby = Daigle

Triple Klutz
09-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Crosby = Daigle

They're not even remotely similar as players.

target
09-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Crosby = Daigle
Did you think of that all by yourself? Why do think that?

Slats432
09-25-2003, 10:16 AM
Crosby = Daigle
Bravo, you win the price for most useless post of the day. Here is your prize....

http://www.anyfun.net/pics/pics/sport2.jpg

Epsilon
09-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Crosby = Daigle

Yawn, you really exercised your grey matter to come up with that didn't you?

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
09-25-2003, 11:04 AM
you probably forgot who win the last gold medal game between the two... and probably forgot than if we exchange Fleury and Medvedev in goal Canada look out of place... I have the game on tape if you want to have an other chance to see it...you look to miss something

and hmm don't think I said Crosby was the best player in Canada...I say he is one of the top 12 forward... and YEAHHHH Fleury is right now a lot better than Crosby great affirmation... but I simply don't know how it affect Crosby presence in the team :dunno:

Canada's only chance was Fleury? Haha, right. Please lay off the pipe. Medvedev is no slouch, he is almost as good as Fleury in my opinion. Fleury might have stolen a game or two, but others came through big as well. It wasn't just Fleury and a bunch of no-namers.

And way to backpeddle. You said, in your broken english all be it, that Crosby is the best player in Canada. Not that he is one of the top 12 forwards. I was giving examples of players better than Crosby that will make the U-20 team. If you don't have a clue about the things you put in your posts, maybe its best you just don't post at all. You said Crosby was the best player in Canada, I said Fleury was better. I never said Fleury making the team would have an effect on Crosby making the team. :rolleyes:

Genghis Keon
09-25-2003, 12:17 PM
And way to backpeddle. You said, in your broken english all be it, that Crosby is the best player in Canada. Not that he is one of the top 12 forwards. I was giving examples of players better than Crosby that will make the U-20 team. If you don't have a clue about the things you put in your posts, maybe its best you just don't post at all. You said Crosby was the best player in Canada, I said Fleury was better. I never said Fleury making the team would have an effect on Crosby making the team. :rolleyes:

Let's recap:

it's pretty simple, take the best player in the country and Crosby is one of those, that's it !

So reffree says that Crosby is one of the best players in Canada (his present stats are empirical evidence of his league dominance right now, and the scouting reports which describe his talent are appeals to authority that says his numbers aren't a fluke), and you twist his words into saying that he is the best player in Canada. Then, when reffree rightly said that he never called Crosby the best in Canada, you accuse him of backpeddling and say that he doesn't have a clue about things he puts into his posts. It appears that you don't have a clue what he's putting in his posts, or you feel you need to make strawmen to make your point.

BCCHL inactive
09-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Crosby = Daigle

I would respect your opinion if you actually bothered to elaborate.

Since you didn't....

:lol:

Slats432
09-25-2003, 01:42 PM
I would respect your opinion if you actually bothered to elaborate.

Since you didn't....

:lol:
Maybe my Kung-fu Skate Kick of Undeniable Death scared them away...for that I would apologize, but then again...maybe not.

Hitman*
09-25-2003, 01:55 PM
And way to backpeddle. You said, in your broken english all be it, that Crosby is the best player in Canada. Not that he is one of the top 12 forwards. I was giving examples of players better than Crosby that will make the U-20 team. If you don't have a clue about the things you put in your posts, maybe its best you just don't post at all. You said Crosby was the best player in Canada, I said Fleury was better. I never said Fleury making the team would have an effect on Crosby making the team.

You gave about 5 examples of players that are "locks" to make the team provided they don't make their NHL clubs or are released for the tournament. Are there only 5 players on the team now? Out of the 13 forwards that go, you think that Crosby isn't better than any of them? Is Jeremy Colliton better? Johnathon Filewich? Should we take role players (like last year), or the best players (like the drive for 5 days)?

moosefan
09-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Crosby = Daigle

spoken by someone who has never seen him play IMO. I have seen Daigle play many times as Ottawa played here before and of games I have seen in Ottawa, also I seen him play in the lock out year of the NHL and Digle played for Victoriaville for half that year and played two games here in Halifax. I have also seen Crosby play countless times and though Daigle had talent which you could see, his drive was not there or dedication on the ice, Crosby has more talent IMO and is very dedicated to being better and to being the best he can be. Your assumption is way off, seems like some people just don't like to give credit where it is due :dunno:

Zine
09-25-2003, 05:45 PM

The fact of the matter is in the 90's the RSL was so underfunded it almost went bankrupt. This equals poor player development and no WJC golds for a while.
Now the RSL is very economically stable to the point where some RSL players earn more than NHL players. Because of this, player development has improved and they've won 3 out of the last 5 WJC golds.

Pwk
09-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Bravo, you win the price for most useless post of the day. Here is your prize....

http://www.anyfun.net/pics/pics/sport2.jpg

Ha ha... I'm just sick of the Crosby post. You would think he's the only prospect on this board some days. You would whipe his @ss if given the chance I bet.

BCCHL inactive
09-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Ha ha... I'm just sick of the Crosby post. You would think he's the only prospect on this board some days. You would whipe his @ss if given the chance I bet.

I swear sometimes that some people have no concept whatsoever of good taste.

moosefan
09-27-2003, 05:33 AM

so why not post about a different prospect yourself then, instead of reading into Crosby posts which seem to be bothering you???????????????? :dunno:

It is funny how some people think as Sidney is on track to possibly being one of the best prospects to come along since Mario Lemieux and you are sick of seeing his name on this PROSPECT post board?????????????