Ontario Election Leaders Debate

Jellybean
09-23-2003, 05:35 PM
Who won? IMO Eves got his message across most effectively, but it probably won't be enough to make up any ground on the Liberals.

Vyacheslav
09-23-2003, 05:45 PM
I hope the Lizard Man won.

Douggy
09-23-2003, 06:26 PM
I think McGuinty OWNED the other two.

Hampton had some good points but was stuttering too much.

Eves constantly accused McGuinty of dodging questions, while he himself was doing it too, just doing a worse job of it. Also: what was up with him constantly praising Paul Martin??

McGuinty was flawless, IMO. Totally honest on where money was going and where it wasn't. Clear on the fact that taxes weren't going up and that certain areas would get more money, while certain areas wouldn't.

Epoch
09-24-2003, 02:29 AM
no one cleary one. Eves was interrupted many times by Hampton, McGuinty,etc.

Moose Head
09-24-2003, 03:16 AM
Hampton. He was clearly head and shoulders above the two Bizknobs. As for who was second, IMO Eves was better able to convey his perverted evil message much better than McGuinty.

DJyellow
09-24-2003, 04:40 AM
Somebody please help me. I moved to Ontario from Quebec not too long ago, and I don't know much about the parties here. Could someone please give me a brief objective summary of what each parties' stands are.

thanks

habfan4
09-24-2003, 04:55 AM
:rolleyes: Nice job concealing bias on the part of the poll creator!!

My vote - No clear cut winner.

Eves answers were the usual a mix of completely disingenuous and stay the course retorts. The “personal attacks have no place in a campaign” soliloquy he delivered with a surprisingly straight face at the outset of the debate was pure gold.

McGuinty looked like his usual stiff self. His performance could be likened that of an Olympic boxer – hit people with the white part of the glove often (repeat “change” mantra) and avoid getting knocked out.

Hampton was active and on the offensive treating McGuinty and Eves like piñatas. His answers/message were all carrot and no stick, the mere mention of lower automobile insurance premiums resonates with just about everyone. Is it just me or does the thought of the NDP attempting to appeal to masses seem just a little peculiar.

nordique
09-24-2003, 05:15 AM
Ernie Eves has the most grating voice ever. However, even though I'm a Liberal and I disagree with a lot of PC policies, I thought Eves was the most effective of the three last night - but that smile at the end was just creepy as hell.

Tuomo Ruutu's Ego
09-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Dalton McGuinty is the biggest fool I have ever seen. Oh I won't raise your taxes but won't lower then, blah blah blah, health care, etc etc. What a pile of crap. He can talk the talk all he wants but he won't be able to walk the walk if he is voted in. I guarentee it. TAXES go to our education system, health care, etc etc., how is he going to improve all these things if he doesn't increase TAXES? TAXES are the backbone of our infrastructure, and he has never even been the Premier of Ontario. Oh Ernie Eves did bad on the SARS, power outage, etc. Dalton McGuinty is a twit, he can criticize all he wants, but IF he gets the win this October 2nd, he won't be able to follow through with all his promises. He doesn't know the boundaries of the job, he doesn't know all the things that could have been done in say the power outage. He criticizes them now, but if he gets into office he will be like "oh, ernie did do the right thing".

I think it is time for a change, a fresh face, for the Premier's post in the Ontario legislature. McGuinty is a twit, Eves holds the job now, so I think Howard Hampton is the lesser of the three evils. But of course, I am not of legal voting age, so I won't be voting.

Puck
09-24-2003, 12:09 PM
As a citizen of Ontario, I thought the Superman vs the Silver Surfer threads or the DC Comics vs Marvel superheroes on HF, had the best arguments I've heard all year. Anything the politicians could come up with just pales in comparison. Ontario elections have always been the most boring events on the face of the planet. They could put a monkey in as Premier of Ontario and it still wouldn't change a thing...oh wait, they have already tried that with ******* (insert your choice of past Premier here)...that was the voter participation segment of this post....

DJyellow wanted a brief objective summary of what each parties' stands are...they just want to get elected DJ...that about sums it up...but supposedly the Conservatives are right wing, the Liberals at C and the NDP are at left wing... no D or goalies allowed here....

Jellybean
09-24-2003, 12:19 PM
:rolleyes: Nice job concealing bias on the part of the poll creator!!

Thank You :p

Epoch
09-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Dalton McGuinty is the biggest fool I have ever seen.

That's why his first name really is DOLTon McGuinty!:D;)

Jellybean
09-24-2003, 12:22 PM
Personally I'm still waiting for McGuinty to answer one question, just one question that was posed to him. The other two were also evasive, but McGuinty was ridiculous.

Douggy
09-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Notice he is currently winning this poll?

FearTheFlyers
09-24-2003, 02:04 PM
It seemed to me Eves had the better answers last night

monkey_00*
09-24-2003, 02:25 PM
That's why his first name really is DOLTon McGuinty!:D;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: ..

HABitual
09-24-2003, 02:27 PM
I would say Hampton but I'm afraid that, once again, the NDP doesn't have a fighting chance in an election so I'll have to go with McGuinty's Liberals.

monkey_00*
09-24-2003, 02:27 PM
I think nobody won between these three.............

I also think if they had Larry, Curly and Moe in their place it wouldn't have made much of a difference or improvement......................

.................on second thought...............

DJyellow
09-24-2003, 03:18 PM
As a citizen of Ontario, I thought the Superman vs the Silver Surfer threads or the DC Comics vs Marvel superheroes on HF, had the best arguments I've heard all year. Anything the politicians could come up with just pales in comparison. Ontario elections have always been the most boring events on the face of the planet. They could put a monkey in as Premier of Ontario and it still wouldn't change a thing...oh wait, they have already tried that with ******* (insert your choice of past Premier here)...that was the voter participation segment of this post....

DJyellow wanted a brief objective summary of what each parties' stands are...they just want to get elected DJ...that about sums it up...but supposedly the Conservatives are right wing, the Liberals at C and the NDP are at left wing... no D or goalies allowed here....

thanks, i suppose it does not really matter in the end who gets elected in Ontario from what I understand..

Douggy
09-24-2003, 04:41 PM
I went to a debate at my school today... interesting to say the least. The candidates were:
Dianne Cunningham (PC - Current Minister of Colleges and Universities)
Deb Mathews (Liberal - Current PhD Candidate at UWO)
Rebecca Coulter (NDP - Current Prof and Associate Dean in the UWO faculty of Education)

Needless to say much of the talk was about Education and its cost, and needless to say, Cunningham got worked. If she wins this riding I'll streak through my campus in January, because there were a LOT of people POed about tutition. Coulter played up the "I'm mad too guys, lets stand together" persona, while the Liberal Matthews was more friendly and open.

Every Debate I go to makes me want to vote more Liberal, but I'm probably going to go with the Greens.

Moose Head
09-25-2003, 09:43 AM
Vote NDP. Even if you can't stand them, a vote for them is a vote for a minority Liberal or PC government, which IMO is the best possible outcome next week.