john tripp

_P_
09-23-2003, 07:48 PM
any word on how hes doing in camp?
is he guna make the team?

willie
09-23-2003, 07:54 PM
He has been getting positive reviews. Scored a goal in the first exhibition game.

Not sure if he makes it or not but with AM as coach, you never know. He could be this years Derek Bekar.

Scottkmlps
09-24-2003, 01:20 AM
He has been getting positive reviews. Scored a goal in the first exhibition game.

Not sure if he makes it or not but with AM as coach, you never know. He could be this years Derek Bekar.

Well, if the injurys keep mounting up, he could be skating on the 1st line come opening night :)

Vedder
09-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Love watching him play. Complete workhorse on the ice, both sides

_P_
09-24-2003, 10:28 AM
i like him too , i was upset when the rangers let him go

he played on night on a line with messier and lundmark
and got 2 assist ...after that he wasnnt givin a chance
i dont know why they didnt like him

i mean i know he cant skate but i like what i saw

jfont
09-24-2003, 11:18 AM

maybe because he can't skate? just a guess...

Grady41
09-25-2003, 10:47 PM
maybe because he can't skate? just a guess...

Thats what they said about Armstrong

Luc and Allison aren't the best skaters either but they do produce

Tripp looked realy good against the ducks I hope he makes the team

Grady41
09-25-2003, 10:53 PM
i like him too , i was upset when the rangers let him go

They said Armstrong was a poor skater too
But I love that guy

Luc and Allison aren't the best skaters either but they do produce

Tripp was great in the game against the Ducks I hope he makes the team.

By the way what was his number in New York a lot of people I know are complaining about his new # 66

Nobody seems to want to take a Tripp down route 66

I know its Mario's but its not retired league wide yet

Old Hickory
09-26-2003, 02:21 PM
They said Armstrong was a poor skater too
But I love that guy
Army's stint in Europe really helped his skating

IGM
09-26-2003, 04:38 PM
tripp really is the big suprise in camp this year. He does everything right. He is among the firts on the ice every time and the last to leave. He is also one of the "nighthawks". There are a few "guys" who come out and play every now and then with us mortals late night. Tripp was one of those guys before camp started and has made friends with of few of the guys. He is a salt of the earth kind of guy who always buys the beer. He also is one of those guys who just stands right up and tries his butt off after he gets hit. It doesn't matter how hard or if it is by one of our established vets. The kid just gets up and goes right back at it. Kind of a "I got nowhere else to go" attitude. I hope he makes it but not only for his attitude. The kid is all about his game and is better than Sim/Smithson and even Avery considering he uses his head more. I would compare him favorably with Army with the exceptoin that Tripp is tougher and plays with allot more speed and agression.

He is a keeper.

TubbyTerrion*
09-30-2003, 03:12 PM
that being said (IGM) , it is no surprise that he was one of the Manchester bound players. Tripp was signed to provide a dimension to the Monarchs that they were sorely lacking after they dumped Healey. A goal scorer who is not a small, finesse player. Tripp will see a LOT of ice time with the Monarchs, whereas if he had stayed in LA, would have been a healthy scratch or a 4th line guy. The casual fan sees a guy's name in the box score and assumes he's won a job. Those that truly think "big picture" understand how John Tripp's piece of the puzzle fits. I love the guy's attitude, and his work ethic, but the best thing for both the Kings and John Tripp is for him to be a leader in Manchester, as opposed to a benchwarmer in LA.

agentfouser
09-30-2003, 05:22 PM
that being said (IGM) , it is no surprise that he was one of the Manchester bound players. Tripp was signed to provide a dimension to the Monarchs that they were sorely lacking after they dumped Healey. A goal scorer who is not a small, finesse player. Tripp will see a LOT of ice time with the Monarchs, whereas if he had stayed in LA, would have been a healthy scratch or a 4th line guy. The casual fan sees a guy's name in the box score and assumes he's won a job. Those that truly think "big picture" understand how John Tripp's piece of the puzzle fits. I love the guy's attitude, and his work ethic, but the best thing for both the Kings and John Tripp is for him to be a leader in Manchester, as opposed to a benchwarmer in LA.

that's an interesting point you make.

do you mean that tripp would best serve the organization as someone who really will not make it to the big league but can lead by example in the ahl, as a career ahler? or do you see him as someone that simply needs more time to develop? or does tripp need to be there as someone for the more skilled players to pass to, someone upon whom opposing defenses can focus their fury, sparing blue-chippers from nightly physical punishment?

i was under the impression that eric healey was a 30 year old sniper who had never bothered to learn any other facet of the game; as such, he had no nhl contract despite scoring buckets of goals in the ahl. are you saying that a minor league farm team needs someone like that on their roster? i am not trying to put forward any other idea, but i am really curious as to why an organization would want its farm team to have anything other than prospects who would someday have a shot at the nhl.

TubbyTerrion*
09-30-2003, 11:48 PM
that's an interesting point you make.

do you mean that tripp would best serve the organization as someone who really will not make it to the big league but can lead by example in the ahl, as a career ahler? or do you see him as someone that simply needs more time to develop? or does tripp need to be there as someone for the more skilled players to pass to, someone upon whom opposing defenses can focus their fury, sparing blue-chippers from nightly physical punishment?

i was under the impression that eric healey was a 30 year old sniper who had never bothered to learn any other facet of the game; as such, he had no nhl contract despite scoring buckets of goals in the ahl. are you saying that a minor league farm team needs someone like that on their roster? i am not trying to put forward any other idea, but i am really curious as to why an organization would want its farm team to have anything other than prospects who would someday have a shot at the nhl.

Well, first off, I'm glad you didn't take offense to my post, as I've been a bit defensive today having been called out for my "know-it-all" board attitude (LGK)

Honestly, let's look at John Tripp's career to date:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=19364

drafted twice

first pro season, one goal in 70 games (that's tough to do as a forward)

four or five seasons later, still in the ECHL (Pensacola)

sixth pro season, a cup of coffee with a HORRIBLE Ranger team, and he scores in his first NHL game, and all of a sudden fans are calling him the second coming of (fill in the blank with a Hall Of Fame forward.)

eight more games and suddenly he is not even offered a Ranger contract.

The Kings, knowing they have a WEALTH of finesse (and smaller) forwards bound for Manchester (at the time, Aulin, Cammalleri, Clarke, Lehoux, etc.), realize that this is a guy who comes to play hard every game, and has proven he has a scoring touch in the AHL. They sign him with the invitation to make an impression in training camp (*which he did) but basically let him know that they need him to provide some muscle and some scoring, as well as some assistance for these younger kids.

Tripp realizes he's not going to walk into ANY NHL camp and be handed a top 12 forward slot (Hey, Healey walked, got signed by Atlanta, and he was one of the first to be shipped to Chicago (AHL) --- so these NHL talent evaluators know the difference between AHL and NHL talent.

John Tripp is there to score some goals, but ultimately provide an outlet for the Clarkes and the Lehouxs of the world. If they succeed, he succeeds, and vice versa. The investment in the kids is far greater than the investment in John Tripp, but like Steve Kelly... you never know when the call will come for a "plug in."

Charlie Simmer, perhaps the greatest "plug in" of all time, is someone who I had very little faith in when he made his Kings debut, but one day at a time, he hung in there and found some ultimate chemistry. Will it happen for John Tripp? Me thinks not, but years from now we will all laugh about how he scored in a pre-season game (anyone remember Jim Moxey?) and we all thought he was the second coming of Charlie Simmer ;)

As for why an organization would want to have anything other than prospects... you always need veteran leadership on a team, so that the youngsters road is paved with good intentions. Last year, Dane Jackson was one of those guys... this year he's an assistant coach. The reason the Kings made the Hnilicka trade was to assure themselves of a veteran (older) goaltender to help Chouinard along... be it Milan or Cristobal Huet, who despite being a 2nd year North American, is 27 and a veteran of international hockey wars. The reason the Rulliers and the Seeleys of the world are still there... they know the drill, and though they are quickly falling from prospect to suspect, they, along with Jason Holland, will be asked to help the Gleasons and the Grebeshkovs prepare for their lives as NHL players. Because of that, the Kings will always look out for the best interests of the fringe guys who help them with their master plan. If they see an opportunity for a Rullier, a Seeley, a Kelly or even a Tripp, outside of their organization, they will embrace that chance for them with open arms.

Anyway, that's my ramble for the night... I'm all Tripped out.

TT

IGM
10-01-2003, 07:46 AM
you are leaving out the part where different players develope at different rates. You are also making assumptions as to what the Kings think about Tripp.
I am not saying that you might not be right, I am saying that you could also be wrong.

I can give you a ton of examples of players who weren't drafted that eventually not only made the NHL but had great careers as well. Just because Tripp took way to long to develope doesn't mean that he will never be a solid NHL forward.

Know it all.

;)

TubbyTerrion*
10-01-2003, 09:26 AM
you are leaving out the part where different players develope at different rates. You are also making assumptions as to what the Kings think about Tripp.
I am not saying that you might not be right, I am saying that you could also be wrong.

I can give you a ton of examples of players who weren't drafted that eventually not only made the NHL but had great careers as well. Just because Tripp took way to long to develope doesn't mean that he will never be a solid NHL forward.

Know it all.

;)

Yeah, I'm a know it all... and the only reason I "know it all" is because I ask questions of people who make decisions. For this reason, I assure you I am not "making assumptions." Perhaps some people whose paychecks are signed by Phillip Anschutz are, but I'm stating some facts as I know them.

By my citing Charlie Simmer, I assure you that I am well aware of the different rates at which NHL players develop, but there is enough evidence to support the theory that Tripp is probably never going to be a "solid NHL forward."

I reserve the right to eat leather in a couple of years, but we can run down a list of dozens to hundreds of prolific AHL, IHL, ECHL, etc (minor league) goal scorers and point producers that could never effectively crack an NHL lineup. Most of the time it has to do with the shift from being a top 6 or a top 3 guy in the minors, getting 20 minutes a game, to being a fill in on the fourth line and playing with dead weight NHL linemates. Rarely will you see a journeyman minor leaguer called up and given the same responsibilities he's had on his previous team.

If John Tripp is put on a line with Allison and Deadmarsh when (if) he is recalled... then you get a MUCH clearer picture on his NHL upside. Will that happen? Maybe for the occasional shift, but more than likely you'd see some Tripp/Brennan/Chartrand/Flinn/Sim/whatever combo 7 or 8 times within a game. Then he could play eight or nine pointless games for the Kings and add to his unimpressive NHL stats.

(*imagine if I DIDN'T like the guy ;) )

IGM
10-01-2003, 09:52 AM
The thing is that you seem to be unwilling to accept the possibility that he MIGHT still be able to develope into a solid NHLer. I too am around the team and "ask questions of people who make decisions". I would bet that if you went and asked them if there was a possibility that Tripp MIGHT be a serviceable NHLer (I think third liner who can contribute with some O but wouldn't rule out him having a remote shot at more) that you could find someone who thinks that he m i g h t.

I have recently and was told that everyone is impressed with him and that there weren't many people who thought he would be as capable (I think that was the word but I might be wrong) as he appears to be. I was told that he might earn himself a shot at playing with the Kings sometime this season if he can keep it up. Of course, who knows if what I was told is the perfect truth as I have been told things before only to have them not happen for allot of reasons.

I am not saying you are wrong, in fact, I think you are more than likely right. I just think that for every guy you can list that should have been great in the NHL based on their minor league accomplishments that didn't pan out, that I can give you a list of guys who made it after they were written off by everyone or weren't even drafted.

Oh, and you know I was kidding about the know it all thing, right? I went to LGK and read allot of what you had written and have an opinion on why people responded to you the way they did. I have found that most people are just waiting for an excuse to take a shot at you even if it is without cause. You have done a fantastic job at LGK and written some solid pieces. (That is the strength of LGK in my opinion, it has had some MAJOR contributions from some very intelligent hockey minds over the past few years) A real boon to that site. I think though that everytime anyone starts doing well there that there are people who, for no good reason, become jealous. Maybe they are bitter about their lifes. Maybe they need to cut others so they can feel good about themselves. It seems that it is always easier to believe the worst about someone then it is to know the truth.

Look at what happened to Piston as the perfect example. He has done nothing but great things for not only Kings fans but for allot of hockey fans in general. The guy gets a little over zealous about some of the attention he was getting and everyone and there brothers had to take a shot at him. It has happened to the best of them over there. Allot of the people who used to post there without whom LGK would still be "rinkrats letsgokings fansite" are no longer there because of this. The problem with LGK is that, while there are rules, they are rarely enforced and when they are it is usually after it is too late.

I was happy to see in your case that the offending thread was deleted. You are only human and only acted out of anger. You had your reasons. The difference between there and here you will find is that you would have been hammered for your response only if the original post had even enough time up on the boards for you to respond to it. In other words, you probably wouldn't have even seen the post on the boards. HF would have pulled it and suspended the poster (or warned them as they are a first timer) before you had a chance.

I am glad you are here, it is an even playing field with rules and your insight is appreciated. I have a feeling that you will get a run for your money as far as Kings trivia is concerned here, there are allot of long time fans that post here.

So again, I was kidding about the know it all statement and hope that you understood that.
;)

TubbyTerrion*
10-01-2003, 09:55 AM
Don't get me started on Piston...

Sorry, he's a complete buffoon.

(and I can back up my opinion with fact. but that's a conversation I would not even begin to debate on an internet message board. I'd rather PM you my phone number if you wanted to hear my rant... grin.)

IGM
10-01-2003, 10:01 AM
That is the propper way to handle it and you might know something about the situation that I don't. (as is very possible) I was only making the point from an outsiders position on what it looked like might have happened.

TubbyTerrion*
10-01-2003, 10:09 AM
The thing is that you seem to be unwilling to accept the possibility that he MIGHT still be able to develope into a solid NHLer. I too am around the team and "ask questions of people who make decisions". I would bet that if you went and asked them if there was a possibility that Tripp MIGHT be a serviceable NHLer (I think third liner who can contribute with some O but wouldn't rule out him having a remote shot at more) that you could find someone who thinks that he m i g h t.

I don't know if it's "unwilling to accept." I just think the guy did all he could do to make the team (hustled, hit, scored) and still truly wasn't of the caliber that would warrant him being there. You think this team is THAT good that they can afford to send people down who can put the puck in the net? I have asked if Tripp MIGHT be a serviceable NHLer, and I think I have a recorded answer on tape that indicates he most probably would not... but that he'd be a guy you could recall for short periods of time and get some use out of. He's probably not going to HURT the Kings if he's put in the lineup in small doses, but he's also probably not going to be more than say Chris Schmidt was last year... a bunch of non-descript games with equally non-descript linemates.

I am not saying you are wrong, in fact, I think you are more than likely right. I just think that for every guy you can list that should have been great in the NHL based on their minor league accomplishments that didn't pan out, that I can give you a list of guys who made it after they were written off by everyone or weren't even drafted.

Definitely... the lists can be long on both sides, but once you're playing back in the E, five years after turning pro, the odds have to be stacked more towards MY list than yours :) (concede that point?)

Oh, and you know I was kidding about the know it all thing, right? I went to LGK and read allot of what you had written and have an opinion on why people responded to you the way they did. I have found that most people are just waiting for an excuse to take a shot at you even if it is without cause. You have done a fantastic job at LGK and written some solid pieces. (That is the strength of LGK in my opinion, it has had some MAJOR contributions from some very intelligent hockey minds over the past few years) A real boon to that site. I think though that everytime anyone starts doing well there that there are people who, for no good reason, become jealous. Maybe they are bitter about their lifes. Maybe they need to cut others so they can feel good about themselves. It seems that it is always easier to believe the worst about someone then it is to know the truth.

Yes, I knew you were kidding... I saw your winky-emoticon. I had a meltdown and called some girl's post moronic. It was her first post, and the title was "avs suck" -- and frankly, I take issue with people who post anti-other team stuff just to think that this includes them into the "family." See, I happen to not dislike the Ducks, the Avs, or any other NHL team (well, maybe not the Flyers) just because they are "rivals." Being a fan for so long, I tend to appreciate when the opponent gets good. Of course, being a Kings fan for so long, how can you NOT appreciate when the opponent gets good. Anyway, I try NOT to stoop to the level of the first time poster, but I had a momentary lapse of sanity, and got skewered for it. I'm human. I try to do my best to moderate fairly over there, but it's not my board, and the "owner" (although a good friend) will occasionally overrule a decision or two :)

I am glad you are here, it is an even playing field with rules and your insight is appreciated. I have a feeling that you will get a run for your money as far as Kings trivia is concerned here, there are allot of long time fans that post here.

I look forward to any run for my money :) I moved to LA in Jan, 1976 and only missed 6 games between then and 1983 when I moved back to NY. Those were my formative Kings years! Long live Don Howse!

TubbyTerrion*
10-01-2003, 10:11 AM
That is the propper way to handle it and you might know something about the situation that I don't. (as is very possible) I was only making the point from an outsiders position on what it looked like might have happened.

HAHAHAHA... I am often railed on at LGK for correcting people's spelling errors, but I have to tell you, if you did not know...

Piston's last name is PROPPER... as opposed to the "proper" way we would spell it within the context of the post.

That, my friend, is EXCELLENT!

(and I base my piston opinions on his behaviour outside of LGK)

IGM
10-01-2003, 12:06 PM
I will concede that point. The odds are stacked against him for certain. In fact, if I consder your point it would shorten my side of the list without a doubt, but still, it isn't impossible that he could make it. I concede that point.

I have a shakey memory on the circumstances that we recieved Kontos under but I remember him as being out of hockey when he first came to us. He had to be in his late 20 and while I could be wrong I remeber him being a freind of Robbie Fets and when he was brought to the team there was allot of talk in the locker room about the only reason he was there was due to that friendship. It was toward the end of the season when he became a King and he did a great job for us. Of course we know that he ended up playing in Tampa for a little bit and never really made an impact in the league but he did make it and it could be argued that he became a "solid NHL player". I am only using him as an example to point out that while highly unlikely, it isn't impossible for a player that most would consider to be washed up as being able to find a niche and make an impact in the NHL.

Unlikely, but possible. I think Tripp is a bit like Army (only in this sense) that what held him back the most has been what allot of NHL people have seen as a lack of dedication, not talent. Army went to Euro, worked on his skating and came back a solid third liner. (we could argue the solid part) I think that Tripp might just have grown up enough to realize his need to impress certain people that he has grown up and is ready to truly begin to dedicate himself to his career.

TubbyTerrion*
10-01-2003, 12:37 PM
Kontos was a first round draft pick who was rushed to the NHL by the Rangers before his 19th birthday, and couldn't withstand the pressures put on him in the Big Apple. He bounced between them and their AHL club for a few years, spent a half season in Finland, was dealt to Pittsburgh and arrived in LA in Feb, 1988 in a trade for Butsy Erickson. However, at the time the trade was made Kontos was essentially ticketed for New Haven, which had been a Ranger farmteam in his years with the Blueshirts, and was now a Kings farmteam, so he was going back to a city he had played a lot of his hockey for. Yes, he had 12 points in 6 games in LA during the regular season, and No, he was not given a contract to return the following year, so Yes, he was out of hockey, but he did end up re-signing for the stretch run, and that amazing nine goal playoff effort. The next two years were spent predominantly with Kings farm teams both in New Haven and Phoenix, before he began his sojourn with the Canadian National Team and his moment in the sun in Tampa Bay, where in one season he scored half of his final NHL goal total.

Weird dude, Kontos :)

IGM
10-01-2003, 01:44 PM
It all came flooding back. Thanks for the reminder. I have an interesting and true back story to this. I was at Culver (back where the Kings and others used to practice) shortly after that trade happened. I had talked to Butsy a few times before and after watching the Pens practice I walked outside to see him, Mario and another player sitting on that planter that holds up that marque. I said something like "Hey Butsy, sorry to see you go. How do you like it so far"? He said something like "whats not to like, we are all about winning the cup here and look who I get to play with". He pointed his thumb at Mario and for some sophmoric reason it struck me as funny. I laughed when he said it and he said "take it easy" of course Mario was his stoic self and just sat there laughing too.

Of course we all know what happened with Brian Butsy Erickson but he was right, he did go to a team that was close to the cup. I had forgotten that it was the Butsy deal that we sent him for. I do remember that Kontos was one of those guys that couldn't cut it and went to euro to find his game. I guess he could work as an example to support both of our arguments though. I actually went to a New Haven NightHawks game in 89. I thought that Connect the dots was all going to be this wintery wonderland where hockey ruled the day. When I got to New Haven I was treated to a "tour" of its ghetto. One of the most scarry places you would ever want to see a hockey game at. Too bad I have such a spotty memory, I should have remember all of the Kontos deal.

Thanks for the memories, on Kontos that is.
:)

TubbyTerrion*
10-01-2003, 01:50 PM
I've been to many Nighthawk games, having lived in my home and native NYC from 83-93, and from 95-00. (I shuttle back and forth... United Van Lines LOVES me.)

There are a whole bunch of Nighthawk gameworns available for sale via their old trainer Mark DeCola, including a Daryl Evans, a Brock Tredway, a Warren Holmes and a couple of others. I am trying to negotiate a bulk deal :)