How the players fared in tonights game. (Sept 23)

Peter
09-23-2003, 09:03 PM
Was at the Flames/Canucks tilt tonight (4-1 for Flames) and thought I would pass on to you MY OPINIONS on some of the Canuck players.

The Good:

1) SLEGR: Played a great defensive game. Steady. Always in the right position. A huge improvement on Baron.

2) KESLER: The kid looks ready for the NHL now. Hard to move him off the puck, good positional hockey, nothing outstanding but would make a great 3rd line center if we needed one this year. Many Fame fans around us were impressed by him.

3) AULD: Didn't face as many shots as Moss but the shots he did face he h andled very well. He is the goalie of our future.

4) H.SEDIN: Was the most dominate Canuck on the ice and was at his t tonight. Got the only goal. He looks to be ready to take the #2 center job by the horns.

The Bad:

1) ARVEDSSON: My goodness, he couldn't do anything right tonight. Crawford had him with Federov and Ruttu quite a bit and was out of position a whole lot and gave away the puck way, way too many times.

2) SALO: Again, I am glad this is the preseason because Salo literally stunk out there tonight. He is capable of so much better but I think playing with different defensive partners really threw him for a loop.

The Ugly:

1) BAUMGARTNER: I hope to heck Crawford is not even close to considering him for the 7th d-man spot. He just plain stunk!! Horrbile, horrible player who looked like he would barely be able to play for the ECHL. He was honestly that bad.

2) MOSS: I know he faced more shots than Auld but he should have had 2 of those goals easily. Really glad that Hedberg is our back-up. He took a stupid delay of game penalty with only 2 minutes late and was very deserving of it...bad, bad play. Dropped his stick on a few occasions and misplayed the puck a couple times too. That said, he did make a pretty amazing save late in the game.

Looking Good:

1) Grenier: My vote to take the #7 d-man's job. Nothing fancy with this guy but very, very solid all around.

2) Mojigsz: Is close to making the club but was easily knocked off the puck and was lost sometimes as to where his teammates were. But he looks to have a bright future someday.

3) Kean: I hate to say it, becasue I really don't want him, but he played a good game. Didn't hurt us at all.

**I know we got alot of penalties called against us but looking at the replays on the jumbotron most of them were warranted. Some really undiscipled penalties by our young guys...lots of hittingfrom behind and elbowing stuff.**

MVP
09-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Thank you for the review

nucks2001
09-23-2003, 09:54 PM
well Shorty and Larscheid said Baumer was the Canucks best player tonight and Salo was close behind. No offense but i'm going to take their opinion over yours in that regard.

Peter
09-23-2003, 10:02 PM
well Shorty and Larscheid said Baumer was the Canucks best player tonight and Salo was close behind. No offense but i'm going to take their opinion over yours in that regard.

No offense taken. I said it was my opinion. As well as the opinion of those I attended the game with. And those sitting around us. We had some really good chuckles about Baumer's play espcially....was quite hilarious at times. I have nothing against the Canuck's play by play guys at all but they both are quite "homeristic" from time to time about the Canucks. And well they should be...it is their bread and butter to call their games.

Broda
09-23-2003, 10:03 PM
I didn't think salo played that bad... i was at the game... he wasn't there second best player, but i dont think baumer was either...I didn't really have a favorite tonite... there wasn't any flow because the flames best player... the ref ... kept giving out stupid penalties to both teams... it was rediculous... and for those fedorov fans out there he sure did a whole lot of nothing.... every time he got the puck he either lost it on a foolish pass or ... i think he had two maybe three very weak shots right at the goalie's chest....

Peter
09-23-2003, 10:10 PM
I didn't think salo played that bad... i was at the game... he wasn't there second best player, but i dont think baumer was either...I didn't really have a favorite tonite... there wasn't any flow because the flames best player... the ref ... kept giving out stupid penalties to both teams... it was rediculous... and for those fedorov fans out there he sure did a whole lot of nothing.... every time he got the puck he either lost it on a foolish pass or ... i think he had two maybe three very weak shots right at the goalie's chest....

Sorry, have to disagree with you on the refs. Most, not all mind you, but most of the calls were warranted. All the hitting from behind, the holding of the stick, the elbows to the heads...all Canuck penalties...were warranted when you watched the replays on the Jumbo Tron. There were one or two calls that were questionable for both teams. But let's be honest, the Canucks, like last season, played a very undiscplined hockey game and their penalites cost them again. This got them into heaps of trouble last year and it looks like it may happend
again unless they watch out. The only upside to this is the fact that only 8 regular Canucks were playing tonight. The rest of the players were either rokkies or AHL polayers fighiting for spots.

Have to agree with you on Federov though. Didn't wow me at all. Two other guys that I was hoping to see more from was King and J. Morrison but really they didn't do much either.

kmad
09-23-2003, 10:13 PM
2) Mojigsz:

thats the most interesting way I've seen it spelled so far

Waveburner
09-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Interesting that your review was the exact opposite of CKNW's on most players...now I'm wondering who was right :)

cyrisweb
09-23-2003, 11:41 PM
I have nothing against the Canuck's play by play guys at all but they both are quite "homeristic" from time to time about the Canucks. And well they should be...it is their bread and butter to call their games.

Sure.. but when Canuck players do badly they have no worries about yelling at them and calling them on their terrible play. I trust them to give an accurate desciption of who played well and who didn't.. it doesn't serve any purpose at all for them to dream about how well certain players did.. they will tell it as it is..

Castor Troy
09-24-2003, 12:23 AM
The Good:

4) H.SEDIN: Was the most dominate Canuck on the ice and was at his t tonight. Got the only goal. He looks to be ready to take the #2 center job by the horns.

The Bad:

1) ARVEDSSON: My goodness, he couldn't do anything right tonight. Crawford had him with Federov and Ruttu quite a bit and was out of position a whole lot and gave away the puck way, way too many times.

Anyone else find it slightly ironic that we all worried in the offseason about Burke needing to find a linemate for the Sedins so that they'd elevate their game, and then when Burke finds someone to try beside the twins, they are the ones who seem to be stepping it up?

Now that being said, I realize most people (myself included) don't see Arvedson as being the solution to our secondary scoring problem. I also realize it was preseason, Arvedson needs to get used to our system, the change in scenery, etc. However, I believe that this is the year the Sedins "break out" and carry their own line. In my opinion, too many people are too quick to dispel this as a possibility.

It looks like Burke is prepared to enter the season with the current lineup, which means that he sees this as a chance for the oft-mentioned "improvement from within". The way the Sedins have been playing in preseason, and having come to camp in great shape, I have no problem with this. They've said the right things, done the right preparation, and are starting to show they are ready to execute. Bring on the season! :yo:

Avery4Byng*
09-24-2003, 06:07 AM
sounds like Grenier is making a good bid on the #7 spot. I would love to see him in there, we could use his toughness back ther.

galiano
09-24-2003, 06:20 AM
Interesting that your review was the exact opposite of CKNW's on most players...now I'm wondering who was right :)

I gotta go with Shorty and Tom. After all, these guys have seen a whole lot of games. Both said Baumgartner was the best Canuck on the ice.

orcatown
09-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the Review. From what I heard seemed like Lindgren played well. Yet that is probably not a very informed opinion. Also I don't really trust Larshied's opinion. I think he tends to pick favourites, and sometimes is to close to the team to give critical comments.

Burke's Evil Spirit
09-24-2003, 08:57 AM
I didn't catch any post-game analysis by Larscheid or Shorthouse, but throughout the game they were ragging on Salo for taking himself out of position to make the big hit...and then not making it. I'd tend to believe he was one of our worse players.

Peter
09-24-2003, 10:21 AM
I didn't catch any post-game analysis by Larscheid or Shorthouse, but throughout the game they were ragging on Salo for taking himself out of position to make the big hit...and then not making it. I'd tend to believe he was one of our worse players.

Salo was bad but like I said in my original post we all know what he is capable of. We have to remember he wasn't playing with his usual defensive parnter too. But he was pretty bad last night.

As was Baumgartner. I am trying to find anyone else who thought Baumgartner played wll last night but can't find anyone. In an interview after the game Crawford was quoted as saying that "in the third, our entire defence let us down but espceically a couple of guys who should be working really hard at not making mistakes."

From what I saw of Baumgarnter I would have to say Crawford was directing some of those comments his way.

Mr. Canucklehead
09-24-2003, 10:26 AM
Anyone else notice that Shorty seems to pronounce Mojzis' name a different way each night?

I'm not a big fan of Baumgartner, and I think there's plenty of players who should be ahead of him on the depth chart. Kinda sucks to hear about Salo and Arvedson, though.

Nice to hear Hank was dominating though.

~Canucklehead~

Waveburner
09-24-2003, 10:34 AM
From listening to CKNW, these players were good:
Baumgartner
Salo(aside from missed hits)
Lindgren
H. Sedin

these were bad:
Slegr
Mojzis
Fedorov
King
Reid

Like I said, pretty much opposite :p

ping
09-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Two different opinions. Neither is "right" nor "wrong". They're just different views on what happened. Everyone has biases. Stop ragging on Peter.

I feel a little sorry for Baumer. The guy signs on for the 7th defencemen role and doesn't play any really last year. This year he has the chance to rotate in every once in a while to prove himself and then the Canucks aquire Slegr. Now players like Jokela (Who I really like) and Grenier, and Mozjis, etc are stepping up.

Good to hear about Henrik though.

SopelFan*
09-24-2003, 03:14 PM
They said on the radio that Slegr was fighting the puck...

Peter
09-24-2003, 06:01 PM
They said on the radio that Slegr was fighting the puck...

From where I was sitting Slegr looked really good but that said, I don't disagree with the comment that Slegr was "fighting the puck". Like I said in my original post he was playing really good defensive hockey and was hardly ever out of place (unlike Salo) but Slegr had zero offensive chances are even tries. As a replacement for Baron I think he is an upgrade at least on the defensive side.

We have to remember that even the " best players" on the ice were still crappy. Canucks played a horrible game.

PecaFan
09-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Anyone else notice that Shorty seems to pronounce Mojzis' name a different way each night?

That's because he mentioned on the pre-show that Tomas told him it was pronounced "muh-wee juice" or something like that.

Tom.H
09-24-2003, 11:07 PM
Shorty and Larscheid said something about Fedorov showing up out of shape and seemingly disinterested.
If that is the case, inspite of his potential, I don't think he should play another game at the NHL level. Let him earn his playing time down on the farm and only when he shows a steady improvement let him be rewarded for it, but not before then.

Jewelly
09-25-2003, 06:24 AM
"muh-wee juice" Yes, that's exactly how he pronounced his name at one point; sounded different every time though. Just when I thought I finally had it right... he'd pronounce it differently. :lol: