09-24-2003, 04:14 AM
read it here...

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,365263,00.html

LaVal
09-24-2003, 06:31 AM
just because most of the Canucks are Swedes... doesn't mean the fans are :p

Belgian Fan
09-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Don't know about the average 'Nuck fan, but I understand little of Swedish...

I did understand the general tone of the article, but the nuances escaped me.

Jewelly
09-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Translation? :confused:

Salming
09-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Do I look like an information desk clerk?

Spiffy
09-24-2003, 08:04 AM
I can do a translation tomorrow. To busy right now.

Riddarn
09-24-2003, 08:28 AM
Well he basicly just says that Keenan is an @sshole..

Darth Vitale
09-24-2003, 08:36 AM
:lol:

Big surprise there....

Heimy
09-24-2003, 09:05 AM
I remember reading awhile back that Keenan almost dealt Naslund for next to nothing and was only prevented by an injury. Would someone that recalls the details of that story please re-post it?

Thanks

btw, Mrs. Heimy and I spent some time in beautiful Vancouver over the summer and fell in love with the place.

Peter Griffin
09-24-2003, 09:24 AM
I remember reading awhile back that Keenan almost dealt Naslund for next to nothing and was only prevented by an injury. Would someone that recalls the details of that story please re-post it?

He was almost dealt to the Sens for a mid-round pick, but Todd Bertuzzi got injured and the Canucks had to keep Naslund because they didn't have enough forwards.

Mr. Canucklehead
09-24-2003, 09:33 AM
^4th Round Draft Pick, to be precise. We would have looked as foolish as Pittsburgh. The deal was all but done when Todd Bertuzzi took an Adrian Aucoin slapshot to the leg and was done for the season. Naslund was kept around due to a shortage of NHL ready wingers on the Canucks team.

It would have been a typical Keenan thing to do.

~Canucklehead~

Freudian
09-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Rough translation:

He is the coach that scares his players, that sends talents to the farm team just to ***** with them. And that hates swedes.
"Mike Keenan likes to scare guys and humiliate them just to elevate himself" Markus Näslund has to say about the most feared coach in the NHL.

Näslund is not known as a loud mouth who says negative things about others but there is one person he can't stand. Mike Keenan. Iron Mike. "He used to go after us younger and less established players and after a while I was sick of it" Markus says.

Mike Keenan had his breakthrough when he in less than a year turned Rangers from a loserteam to SC-champions 1994. From then he has wandered from team to team and scaring players but not won any more titles.

Keenan - now in Florida - is infamous for his rock hard work methods , that often turns into pure personal attacks on the players. Brutal coaching. Or Management by fear. "If you grew up in Sweden with the security we have here it is totally different having Keenan as coach" Näslund says.

The list of swedish players that has had problems with Keenan is long.

Keenan and Näslund immediately was on a collision course when Iron-Mike arrived in Vancouver. The 98-99 season the swedish goalgetter started in the press box. Sent there by Keenan. He just wanted tough players. "It was a very hard period. Luckily for me players got injured and I got the chance. That turned things around for me and I am glad I was able to get through it" Näslund says with a sigh.

Despite the fact that it was under Keenan Näslund got his breakthrough he is still bitter. "His ways really got to me. A person that has to degrade others is a small person" Näslund says.

Spiffy
09-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Rough translation:

He is the coach that scares his players, that sends talents to the farm team just to ***** with them. And that hates swedes.
"Mike Keenan likes to scare guys and humiliate them just to elevate himself" Markus Näslund has to say about the most feared coach in the NHL.

Näslund is not known as a loud mouth who says negative things about others but there is one person he can't stand. Mike Keenan. Iron Mike. "He used to go after us younger and less established players and after a while I was sick of it" Markus says.

Mike Keenan had his breakthrough when he in less than a year turned Rangers from a loserteam to SC-champions 1994. From then he has wandered from team to team and scaring players but not won any more titles.

Keenan - now in Florida - is infamous for his rock hard work methods , that often turns into pure personal attacks on the players. Brutal coaching. Or Management by fear. "If you grew up in Sweden with the security we have here it is totally different having Keenan as coach" Näslund says.

The list of swedish players that has had problems with Keenan is long.

Keenan and Näslund immediately was on a collision course when Iron-Mike arrived in Vancouver. The 98-99 season the swedish goalgetter started in the press box. Sent there by Keenan. He just wanted tough players. "It was a very hard period. Luckily for me players got injured and I got the chance. That turned things around for me and I am glad I was able to get through it" Näslund says with a sigh.

Despite the fact that it was under Keenan Näslund got his breakthrough he is still bitter. "His ways really got to me. A person that has to degrade others is a small person" Näslund says.

That's a good translation.

SedinFan*
09-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Do I look like an information desk clerk?

yes

Jewelly
09-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Do I look like an information desk clerk?Well, you are the one that posted the foreign article so yes I was kind of hoping for a translation of some sorts. :p

nucks2001
09-24-2003, 11:05 AM
A lot of people rag on Keenan and dislike him. Which is understandable. But lets face it. This team would not be where it is now if it wasn't for Keenan. Pat Quinn had a tendency to hang on to his veterans too long as he was very loyal and as a result this team went down the tube. Keenan came in and cleaned house. Were we successful under Keenan? no, but getting new blood in here was needed. He moved fan favourites (probably why he is hated). Guys like Gelinas, McLean, Odjick, Linden and the list goes on. Not all of the trades were great of course but it still brought new blood in either by trade or by young players from the minors. And of course there was the Linden to the Isles for Bertuzzi, McCabe and a 3rd which was Jarkko Ruutu.

Spiffy
09-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Well, you are the one that posted the foreign article so yes I was kind of hoping for a translation of some sorts. :p

Don't expect too much from Salming ;)

Salming
09-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Just like the people of Iraq, I'm shocked and awed.

Spiffy
09-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Just like the people of Iraq, I'm shocked and awed. yeah.... you didn't see that coming :rolleyes:

C'nuckleHead
09-24-2003, 05:09 PM
That's the most vocal Naslund has been on the Dark Prince. Wonder if he thought it would never cross the Atlantic?

AJ11
09-24-2003, 06:14 PM
I'm wondering if anyone can remember the name of the Canucks coach for about a half season- he was the former coach of the Kamloops Blazers?? I think it was Bill Laforge or something but anyway he was just like Keenan with the exception that Keenan is a much better politician- Keenan knows where to pick his battles- not surprising at all to hear that Keenan abuses some of the younger and less established players on his team.

I'd bet though that he was kissing Bouwmeesters ass from day 1 last year (Bouwmeester having a certain amount of power)- Keenan is imo a complete and total fraud who was lucky enough to coach a team (one that didn't need a coach with much actual hockey knowledge or leadership) to the cup.

He may have gotten lucky with one trade but some of the guys he traded were pretty decent players who had quite a few good years after being dealt- the guys he got (except Bertuzzi) didn't. That's the way I remember it. Can anyone here post his trades in detail so as to prove me wrong?

As a coach he'll be ####canned out of Florida within 2 years- he's not that good- in fact pretty bad if you base that just on his yrs. in Van.- a team that needed a good coach.

Peter Griffin
09-24-2003, 06:23 PM
I really don't see why Florida hired him. He's the last coach you want when you have a very young team. If you have a team full of prima donnas who are underachieving, he can be of use, alebeit little use...

ehc73
09-24-2003, 07:50 PM
I really don't see why Florida hired him. He's the last coach you want when you have a very young team. If you have a team full of prima donnas who are underachieving, he can be of use, alebeit little use...

Worked for the Rangers...

Peter Griffin
09-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Worked for the Rangers...

They weren't a young team.