Baghdad residents happy that Saddam is gone

Rick Middleton
09-24-2003, 07:49 AM
or are they?

Good old CNN, leading with a half truth:

Baghdad poll: Ousting Saddam 'worth it'

To quote the story

Almost two-thirds of Baghdad residents polled said they believed ousting Saddam Hussein was worth the hardships they have suffered in the months since the fall of the Iraqi capital, according to a new Gallup poll.

However, we go one to read that

But only 33 percent of respondents thought Iraq was better off now than before the U.S.-led invasion -- of those, 4 percent answered much better off and 29 percent said somewhat better off -- compared with 47 percent who said Iraq was worse off -- of those, 32 percent believed the country was somewhat worse off and 15 percent said it was much worse off.

An overwhelming majority of Baghdad residents --94 percent -- said the country was a more dangerous place since the invasion and 5 percent said it was safer.

Seems that 2/3 of Baghdad residents ain't too happy that the US invaded Iraq. Jeez, I thought they were supposed to be throwing flowers at the feet of their liberators?

The G Man
09-24-2003, 07:53 AM
I would probably agree. But the idea is that the only way it is going to get better was by ousting Saddam and that that would involve some hardships before things improve. I think that is what the poll reflects and which I think you'd probably agree.

The G Man
09-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Seems that 2/3 of Baghdad residents ain't too happy that the US invaded Iraq.
Neither the poll or the quotes you provided says that.

Rick Middleton
09-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Neither the poll or the quotes you provided says that.

Inferred that statement from

only 33 percent of respondents thought Iraq was better off now than before the U.S.-led invasion

If you don't think your country is better off after the invasion, is that not the same as saying that you aren't happy that your country was invaded?

The G Man
09-24-2003, 08:03 AM
If you don't think your country is better off after the invasion, is that not the same as saying that you aren't happy that your country was invaded?
I think you know its not.

IkeaMonkey*
09-24-2003, 08:05 AM
It's all because of the lack of security now.People are breaking into houses and there is no real police force to do anything about it.

Safir*
09-24-2003, 08:48 AM
It's all because of the lack of security now.People are breaking into houses and there is no real police force to do anything about it.

add the lack of electricity, clean running water, schools, hospitals and the danger of US soldiers searching your house, US installed governing counsel and so on. If those things aren't improving within the next 6-12 months the Iraq could be on the verge on becoming Afghanistan II with Al-Queda operating here.

Now you need to pay for your President blunders.

If my head of state would have done the things Bush has done, people would have chased him out of his office and right into the Spree.

Vyacheslav
09-24-2003, 10:32 AM
add the lack of electricity, clean running water, schools, hospitals and the danger of US soldiers searching your house,

Replace US Soldiers with hoodlums and add in cold weather, and you've got Detroit in the winter.

jfont
09-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Replace US Soldiers with hoodlums and add in cold weather, and you've got Detroit in the winter.
add in a crappy baseball team and you really have the 'detroit feel'...

Vyacheslav
09-24-2003, 11:40 AM
add in a crappy baseball team and you really have the 'detroit feel'...

Hey, you flip the standing around and all of the sudden Detroit will finish the year with over 120 wins. It's all a matter of perspective.