Rupp keeping things in the proper perspective

Unthinkable
09-24-2003, 09:38 AM
http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/106438173798870.xml

Devils: Rupp coming into focus on ice

Wednesday, September 24, 2003

BY RICH CHERE
Star-Ledger Staff
"I had a good game and a good time in the playoffs," Rupp said. "The way I look at it is I feel I was a part of the team's success and contributed. I had a taste of it and I want more now. But if I was a consistently dominating player, I'd have been here earlier than this.

He does have a flair for the dramatic. Rupp made his NHL debut on Jan. 13 -- his 23rd birthday -- and scored two goals. A third was disallowed. He wound up playing in 26 NHL games and scored five goals, including three game-winners, with three assists.

Burns said that to make a true impact, Rupp needed to keep his intensity at a high level for more than a game or two.

"I definitely think when I'm on top of my game I can make an impact," Rupp said. "It has been the case that I didn't play as well after two or three games, but those four games I played in the Finals, I played just as well in the fourth game as in the first game.

Unthinkable
09-24-2003, 10:00 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/24/sports/hockey/24devils.html
Mike Rupp, one of nine players in the lineup who played for the Devils in that 6-1 loss in Philadelphia, set the aggressive tone in the game's second minute. The 6-foot-5 Rupp shoved defenders out of the way as he whacked at a loose puck in the crease to create a good scoring opportunity. Moments later he threw a thunderous hit at Flyers defenseman Dennis Seidenberg along the boards.

On the next shift the Devils scored the first goal as Sergei Brylin slapped the puck past the stick of Flyers goalie Robert Esche at 2 minutes 13 seconds.

Not playing passively, the way they did on Friday, the Devils pressed their advantage with strong forechecking and scored two more times in the first period. Grant Marshall scored on a one-timer off a nifty pass by Scott Gomez from behind the net at 6:25, and Rupp crashed the crease to poke home a loose puck at 8:02 to give the Devils a 3-0 advantage.

Rupp, who scored the Stanley Cup-winning goal in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals versus Anaheim last spring, probably aided his bid to be on the opening-night roster with tonight's effort. Joining him in that department was forward Christian Berglund, who had an assist and created several scoring chances with his speed and willingness to drive to the net.