Rasmussen stepping it up on draws

Unthinkable
09-24-2003, 10:26 AM
http://tinylink.com/?jBXku8eJ35

Wednesday, September 24, 2003

By TOM GULITTI
STAFF WRITER

Eric Rasmussen may have found his niche.

The 26-year-old Devils' forward, who signed with the team as an unrestricted free agent July 25, knows that making himself valuable in any area could be his ticket to a spot on the team. And by showing he can win faceoffs in training camp and early in the preseason, he could fill one of the Devils' biggest needs.

After losing Joe Nieuwendyk to free agency and choosing to not re-sign Pascal Rheaume, the Devils are in need of at least one other center - besides John Madden - who can win draws. Nieuwendyk was their best faceoff man last season, and the Devils missed him dearly when he sat out the Stanley Cup Finals with a torn oblique muscle.

Rasmussen got off to a good start by winning eight of 12 draws in his preseason debut with the Devils on Friday night in Philadelphia. He attempted to build on that performance in Tuesday night's rematch with the Flyers - a 3-0 victory - at Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton.

"Anything you can do to help win and make yourself valuable in certain situations, anybody's chances [to make the team] improve then," Rasmussen said. "It's something you've just got to stay focused on and be ready to do. Whenever you get the puck, it's time of possession, wherever you are on the ice. It makes it a lot easier."

Dirty Core
09-24-2003, 11:56 AM
The Dirty Core is here! All your Devils questions can be answered by me! :handclap: :joker: :p :lol: :teach:

JimEIV
09-24-2003, 03:40 PM
"In order to win, not everybody is a goal scorer, not everybody is going to play 15 minutes," Rasmussen said. "Some guys have to play 10 minutes, some have to play 12 minutes, and I understand that. I think the big thing is everybody understands here it's about winning. It's about what you can do to make the team complete."

When you think about it, it is pretty incredible how Lou keeps finding quality people who buy into his concepts.

Unthinkable
09-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Sure didn't take him long at all to embrace the old Devils pride. Good to see him playing for the logo on the front of his jersey as opposed to the name on the back.