NFL Draft Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rick Middleton
04-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Not trying to take anything away from Kryoptix, but the previous thread was getting so large that it was difficult to find information. Please post anything and all related to the NFL Draft here. For FA moves and signings, please use the other thread.

Big Bill
04-21-2005, 08:29 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3556808

Like the article says, they may not have enough bullets in the gun to pull this off after trading away the 2006 #1. I guess they could try to trade away #9 overall and #25 overall but then I doubt they can adress both receiver and cornerback. Interesting considering the Vikings-Dolphins trade talks. I have to assume the Vikes also are trageting Edwards and this could create a good situation for Miami and/or SF who both want to move out of the top two spots. Only two days to go!!!!!

Rick Middleton
04-21-2005, 08:32 AM
As of April 21st.

1. Mike Williams Jr. WR USC
2. Ronnie Brown Sr. RB Auburn
3. Braylon Edwards Sr. WR Michigan
4. Carnell Williams Sr. RB Auburn
5. Cedric Benson Sr. RB Texas
6. Alex Smith Jr. QB Utah
7. Aaron Rodgers Jr. QB California
8. Derrick Johnson Sr. LB Texas
9. Adam Jones Jr. CB W. Va.
10. Antrel Rolle Sr. CB Miami
11. Alex Barron Sr. OT Fla. St.
12. Carlos Rogers Sr. DB Auburn
13. Troy Williamson Jr. WR So. Car.
14. Dan Cody Sr. DE Oklahoma
15. Shawne Merriman Jr. OLB Maryland
16. DeMarcus Ware Sr. DE Troy
17. Travis Johnson Sr. DT Fla. St.
18. Marcus Spears Sr. DE LSU
19. Roddy White Sr. WR UAB
20. Mark Clayton Sr. WR Oklahoma
21. Marlin Jackson Sr. CB Michigan
22. Khalif Barnes Sr. OT Washington
23. Jammal Brown Sr. OT Oklahoma
24. Heath Miller Jr. TE Virginia
25. Erasmus James Sr. DE Wisconsin

Rick Middleton
04-21-2005, 08:34 AM
http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

Big Bill
04-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Foxsports radio reports the offer to SF from Washington was Ramsey, Gardner, #9 and #25 for #1. This is from SF message board as FOxsports so take it weith a grain of salt. But Gardner has no extension which really makes him little value on trade market. Seems like Miam is getting a better deal from the Vikes for #2 than SF is getting for #1.

http://mb4.scout.com/f49ersfansfrm11.showMessage?topicID=4299.topic

Dr Love
04-21-2005, 08:43 AM
If your team drafts T Richie Incognito, be scared. The guy was kicked off of Nebraska, that pretty much sums it up.

Tuggy
04-21-2005, 09:29 AM
What is the official start time?

Hockeyfan02
04-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Saturday: Noon EST.

Going Back to Cally
04-21-2005, 09:41 AM
If your team drafts T Richie Incognito, be scared. The guy was kicked off of Nebraska, that pretty much sums it up.

I think he also blew out his knee a week or two ago.

Dr Love
04-21-2005, 09:47 AM
I think he also blew out his knee a week or two ago.
That's the least of his problems.

Safir*
04-21-2005, 10:00 AM
The Vikings are looking to trade up to either the 1st or 2nd position to draft Edwards.

GKJ
04-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why Mel Kiper has a job? He is wrong. Every year.

Dr Love
04-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why Mel Kiper has a job? He is wrong. Every year.
Because ESPN has little reason to try harder, and they don't have anyone better. You want a better evaluation, try Mike Mayock of NFL Network. I like his analysis better, unlike Kiper he'll actually talk at length of a player's negatives. Listening to Kiper, it's like every player who will be taken in the first round is going to undoubtedly be a top NFL player.

GKJ
04-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Because ESPN has little reason to try harder, and they don't have anyone better. You want a better evaluation, try Mike Mayock of NFL Network. I like his analysis better, unlike Kiper he'll actually talk at length of a player's negatives. Listening to Kiper, it's like every player who will be taken in the first round is going to undoubtedly be a top NFL player.

I do like him better, Mayock that is. Kiper is a tool.

Rick Middleton
04-21-2005, 10:15 AM
I posted his list so people can go back to it and pick it apart. I'm certainly not a big Mel Kiper fan either. When you compare his work to that of Bob McKenzie come NHL draft day its no comparison. Bob might as well be sitting at each of the draft tables doing their selections for them. He's usually bang-on.

Motown Beatdown
04-21-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm listening to the Detroit Lions Pre Draft Press Conference with Mooch and Millen. How sad is it that they actually have one of these and it's carried live by both sports stations and i assume is on Fox Sports Detroit.

And ofcource they haven't said anything we didn't already know.

Safir*
04-21-2005, 10:25 AM
The Panthers have a lot of options:

- draft a WR like Troy Williamson or Mike Williams (if still on the table.)

- draft for some O-line help like Barron

- draft a RB (Benson, Williams)

- trade down for one or more lower round selections.

TazzMetal
04-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Foxsports radio reports the offer to SF from Washington was Ramsey, Gardner, #9 and #25 for #1.

Honestly, if that offer is on the table, the Niners would be silly not to take it unless a better offer comes from someone else. All drafts are a crapshoot but this year's seems to be even more of one than previous years in that the #9 guy might be just as good or if not better than the guy drafted at #1 overall.

At #9 the Niners could possibly get away with Derrick Johnson (although I see him going at #6 - maybe not to the Titans though) or be able to draft one of the top end CB's in Rolle or Pac Man or DE's in Ware or Spears. They can then use the 25th overall pick to fill another need. Or, if they truly coveit Aaron Rodgers, there's always the chance he could still be available at #9, although I doubt the Cards would pass up on him if he was still available at number 8.

In Ramsey, they would get an ok starter next season with some upside (albeit small), as I feel Ramsey is a better QB than Tim Rattay. It could also gives the Niners a shot at getting Leinhart next season (although that would be along shot) to set them at QB for the future. Then again, who knows, maybe Ramsey could flourish in San Francisco.

As for Gardner, he is a ok/good receiver. Unfortunetly, I do not know what his contract status is at the moment but as long as he is not in line for major money in the next season or two, he could be a welcomed addition to the Niners.

Hockeyfan02
04-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I like the picks, but I'd much rather have Smith or Rodgers than Ramsey who is already well on his way to being a bust. If that trade were to go through, I'd be praying that Antrel Rolle is still avalible for them at 9. I don't like Pac Man so at point if Rolle isnt avalible I'd like to see them take Johnson or Merriman. At 25, I'd like to get Luis Castillo. Sounds like the steroids was a mistake and the 49ers need a replacement for BY who is getting up there in age.

David A. Rainer
04-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Trades are starting to heat up. Raiders have already off-loaded Buchanon and Jolley to get back into the 1st round. Probably looking at OLB or rush DE at that spot. Maybe CB if Marlin Jackson falls this far?

USC Trojans
04-21-2005, 01:04 PM
If I were the Niners, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. They need a quarterback, but they're not going to find a franchise QB this year. There are still some good QBs that should be available in the 2nd round like Adrian McPherson.

Alex Smith is a good, athletic QB, but wouldn't be a #1 overall in a normal draft. I'm also not sure how he'd perform in a normal offensive scheme, although he has some football smarts. As for Rodgers, well, when was the last time Tedford had a successful QB in the NFL? He's great at grooming college level QBs, but so far none of them has really taken the next step in pros.

Motown Beatdown
04-21-2005, 01:08 PM
If I were the Niners, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. They need a quarterback, but they're not going to find a franchise QB this year. There are still some good QBs that should be available in the 2nd round like Adrian McPherson.

Alex Smith is a good, athletic QB, but wouldn't be a #1 overall in a normal draft. I'm also not sure how he'd perform in a normal offensive scheme, although he has some football smarts. As for Rodgers, well, when was the last time Tedford had a successful QB in the NFL? He's great at grooming college level QBs, but so far none of them has really taken the next step in pros.

I agree, i dont think Smith or Rodgers are worth the top pick. IMO the 49'ers should go with either Williams or Edwards with the #1 pick and take Campbell or McPherson in the 2nd round. Williams and Edwards will be very good to great players in the NFL. I dont know if Smith and Rodgers are as much as a sure thing. And McPherson has more upside than either of those guys.

Brodeur
04-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Honestly, if that offer is on the table, the Niners would be silly not to take it unless a better offer comes from someone else. All drafts are a crapshoot but this year's seems to be even more of one than previous years in that the #9 guy might be just as good or if not better than the guy drafted at #1 overall.

At #9 the Niners could possibly get away with Derrick Johnson (although I see him going at #6 - maybe not to the Titans though) or be able to draft one of the top end CB's in Rolle or Pac Man or DE's in Ware or Spears. They can then use the 25th overall pick to fill another need. Or, if they truly coveit Aaron Rodgers, there's always the chance he could still be available at #9, although I doubt the Cards would pass up on him if he was still available at number 8.

49ers have a pretty good LB corps if Julian Peterson is healthy. I'd have to think that Rolle would be the most attractive target at #9, unless Rodgers were available. The 49ers could trade up to #6 with Tennessee, but that'd cost at least a 3rd this year, and a future pick next year.

Ramsey might be attractive, but Gardner would be a non-factor in this trade. I'm not sure if it's that great of a deal if I'm the Niners, but they're a team that could use a little more quantity over quality. If they suck again this year, Leinart will be there next year.

Rick Middleton
04-21-2005, 02:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?page=2005mock

1. 49ers Alex Smith, QB, Utah
2. Dolphins Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal
3. Browns Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
4. Bears Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
5. Buccaneers Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn
6. Titans Antrell Rolle, CB, Miami
7. Vikings (from Raiders) Mike Williams, WR, USC
8. Cardinals Adam "Pac-Man" Jones, CB, West Virginia
9. Redskins Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn
10. Lions Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas
11. Cowboys Demarcus Ware, LB/DE, Troy St.
12. Chargers (from Giants) Shawne Merriman, LB/DE, Maryland
13. Texans Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
14. Panthers Alex Barron, OT, Florida State
15. Chiefs Marcus Spears, DE, LSU
16. Saints Thomas Davis, S, Georgia
17. Bengals Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina
18. Vikings Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
19. Rams Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
20. Cowboys Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
21. Jaguars Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan
22. Ravens Roddy White, WR, UAB
23. Seahawks David Pollack, DE, Georgia
24. Packers Travis Johnson, DT, Florida St.
25. Redskins (from Broncos) Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn
26. Raiders (from Jets) Fabian Washington, CB, Nebraska
27. Falcons Bryant McFadden, CB, Florida St.
28. Chargers Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington
29. Colts Matt Roth, DE, Iowa
30. Steelers Marcus Johnson, OT, Mississippi
31. Eagles Matt Jones, WR, Arkansas
32. Patriots Barrett Ruud, LB, Nebraska

Jared Ramsden
04-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Seahawks | Dyson Agrees to Five-Year Deal - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:51:44 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Seattle Seahawks have reached a five-year, $17.5 million contract agreement with free agent CB Andre Dyson (Titans) that includes a signing bonus of $3 million and a total of about $6 million in guarantees.

Rick Middleton
04-21-2005, 02:53 PM

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Seattle Seahawks have reached a five-year, $17.5 million contract agreement with free agent CB Andre Dyson (Titans) that includes a signing bonus of $3 million and a total of about $6 million in guarantees.
Wrong thread :p: :D

04-21-2005, 03:09 PM
49ers have a pretty good LB corps if Julian Peterson is healthy. I'd have to think that Rolle would be the most attractive target at #9, unless Rodgers were available. The 49ers could trade up to #6 with Tennessee, but that'd cost at least a 3rd this year, and a future pick next year.

Ramsey might be attractive, but Gardner would be a non-factor in this trade. I'm not sure if it's that great of a deal if I'm the Niners, but they're a team that could use a little more quantity over quality. If they suck again this year, Leinart will be there next year.

If that's the best deal they can get by draft day, I hope they jump all over it...I've always liked Ramsey's potential, just played behind a piss poor o-line and never got the time he needed, I think he's an upgrade on Rattay...I don't think they need Gardner, they're supposed to announce the signing of David Boston after the draft anyways...

If they do make that trade, i'm prying Rolle is still available, but I doubt he gets past the Titans, if so, Carlos Rogers should be the target, and with the 25th pick, they should address the defensive line, they need another big end or big DT for their switch to the 3-4...i'd rather they go into the second round and pick a QB like McPherson, or Campbell...maybe even Frye....

Hockeyfan02
04-21-2005, 03:27 PM
just played behind a piss poor o-line and never got the time he needed.

He'll be doing the same thing behind our o-line so it's not that big of a difference and with less weapons to work with.

04-21-2005, 03:32 PM
He'll be doing the same thing behind our o-line so it's not that big of a difference and with less weapons to work with.

It's not as bad, I think Jennings will shore up the left side, Heitman is decent although i'd prefer an upgrade (maybe David Baas from Michigan), Newberry is among the NFL's best centers, Justin Smiley has alot of potential, and Harris has disapointed since he was drafted, but he was also playing out of position, now he's going back to RT, a position he dominated in college, so they should be better this year, alot of injuries and lack of depth hurt them last year

Big McLargehuge
04-21-2005, 03:38 PM

Trust me, if Matt Jones is on the board there's not a chance in hell the Steelers are taking a ****ing tackle.

Dr Love
04-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Trust me, if Matt Jones is on the board there's not a chance in hell the Steelers are taking a ****ing tackle.
Anyone who takes Matt Jones in the first round is a moron.

Big McLargehuge
04-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Matt Jones = Jesus incarnate

I wouldn't even think about it if it weren't for the Steelers track record with these kinds of players though. Ward & Randle-El were both college QBs.

FlyersGuy69
04-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't take Matt Jones until the 3rd round at least but I think that someone will reach for him and take him higher.

Dr Love
04-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Matt Jones = Jesus incarnate

I wouldn't even think about it if it weren't for the Steelers track record with these kinds of players though. Ward & Randle-El were both college QBs.
Eat your heart out in the second round (where he'll likely go). Taking him in the 1st is lunacy though.

BiggMac99
04-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Here's my top 5.

1. Rodgers
2. Brown/Smith
3. Edwards/Williams
4. Benson
5. Williams

As a Bucs fan, the player I want the Bucs should draft is:

1. Mike Williams
2. Derrick Johnson
3. Ronnie Brown
4. Cedric Benson

Jared Ramsden
04-21-2005, 05:43 PM

Oops....I thought the other thread was gone...my bad

Mathletic
04-21-2005, 06:33 PM
great news for Canadians, TSN will present the draft from noon to 5:30

Mathletic
04-21-2005, 06:35 PM

1. Mike Williams
2. Derrick Johnson
3. Ronnie Brown
4. Cedric Benson

mine

1 - Derrick Johnson
2 - Ronnie Brown
3 - Mike Williams
4 - Antrell Rolle
5 - Braylon Edwards

... Antrell could become n'1 if Barber is traded before the draft

Jared Ramsden
04-21-2005, 06:43 PM
great news for Canadians, TSN will present the draft from noon to 5:30

I heard that too....finally get the full first round on TV....with no NHL playoffs, they've got nothing better to do....

USC Trojans
04-21-2005, 07:08 PM
1. Mike Williams

If you guys could get BMW, you'll love him. I've watched him play for two years and I have yet to see a college player be able to cover him. He's too quick for linebackers and he's too physical for corners. Just toss the ball in his direction and he'll make the catch for you one way or the other. Then he'd just manhandle the corners and safeties for an extra few yards.

Anthony*
04-21-2005, 07:08 PM
merrill hodge is absolutely destroying aaron rodgers on espn right now

Mathletic
04-21-2005, 07:34 PM
merrill hodge is absolutely destroying aaron rodgers on espn right now

I'm not high on this guy either

Dr Love
04-21-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm not high on this guy either
Me three, I'm also not high on Merrill Hodge.

Anthony*
04-21-2005, 07:47 PM
yeah hoge can be a little nuts at times, but his take on rodgers was pretty interesting

Unholy Diver
04-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Merril can be hilarious, hes a regular guest on some pittsburgh radio shows and he has some great stories but sometimes he makes you wonder just how many concussions he really had

ObeySteve
04-21-2005, 08:09 PM

1. Mike Williams
2. Derrick Johnson
3. Ronnie Brown
4. Cedric Benson

Is that based on everyone, or who you think will still be available? Edwards should be #1 or 2 on your list, and certainly higher than Williams.

If I were general manager for an NFL team with no specific needs, and was simply trying to make a board of the top 10 talents, this would be mine:

1. Braylon Edwards, WR
2. Ronnie Brown, RB
3. Carnell Williams, RB
4. Alex Smith, QB
5. Derrick Johnson, LB
6. Adam Jones, CB
7. Shawne Merriman, LB
8. Antrell Rolle, CB
9. Cedric Benson, RB
10. Troy Williamson, WR

Big McLargehuge
04-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Me three, I'm also not high on Merrill Hodge.

Me four, on both accounts.

I love Merril but he definitely has suffered brain damage from all those concussions.

clefty
04-21-2005, 09:11 PM
mine

1 - Derrick Johnson
2 - Ronnie Brown
3 - Mike Williams
4 - Antrell Rolle
5 - Braylon Edwards

... Antrell could become n'1 if Barber is traded before the draft
For mine:

Mike Williams
Derrick Johnson
Antrell Rolle
Braylon Edwards
Cedric Benson
Pacman Jones

I can't really make up my mind between Williams and Johnson. But yeah, Rolle becomes no. 1 if Ronde is traded.

ObeySteve
04-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Me four, on both accounts.

I love Merril but he definitely has suffered brain damage from all those concussions.

No, Merrill's just one of the many guys on ESPN who is paid to say semi-controversial things to get a rise out of fans of a particular player or team.

He intentionally will say outrageous things that gets people talking and gives the channel ratings because people will watch him say them. Him predicting the Eagles to not make the playoffs last season is a prime example of that.

Dr Love
04-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Him predicting the Eagles to not make the playoffs last season is a prime example of that.
His avoidance of owning up to a gentleman's bet with Glen Macnow was great, and by great I mean pathetic.

MontrealCruiser_83*
04-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Is that based on everyone, or who you think will still be available? Edwards should be #1 or 2 on your list, and certainly higher than Williams.

If I were general manager for an NFL team with no specific needs, and was simply trying to make a board of the top 10 talents, this would be mine:

1. Braylon Edwards, WR
2. Ronnie Brown, RB
3. Carnell Williams, RB
4. Alex Smith, QB
5. Derrick Johnson, LB
6. Adam Jones, CB
7. Shawne Merriman, LB
8. Antrell Rolle, CB
9. Cedric Benson, RB
10. Troy Williamson, WR
Mike Williams should definately not fall out of the top-7 talentwise. The top players are clearly Rodgers and Smith for QB. Carnell, Brown, Benson at RB. Edwards and Williams at wideout. And Johnson as the best defensive player. The only reason teams put Edwards ahead of Williams is due to Mike's year off.

1. Smith
2. Williams (Mike)
3. DJ
4. Edwards
5. Brown
6. Cadillac
7. Rodgers
8. Benson

Gibsons Finest
04-22-2005, 12:34 AM

Why the **** would the Colts take a DE? They need a MLB(Crowder), they could use a CB(Miller), unless they trade for Barber, of course, and their best defensive player is a freaking DE! It makes no sense at all.

chris_dub
04-22-2005, 12:37 AM

I was looking at this earlier today & shaking my head at #27. We're definitely going to snag DE Shaun Cody if he makes it to #27. CB is one of our needs, but not in the 1st Round. We'll grab one in the 2nd or 3rd.

Ensane
04-22-2005, 12:40 AM

Wow, Brown at #13...ish!

In other news...Fred Amey made the top 25 sleeper picks on many NFL mock draft sites :snide:

Dr Love
04-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Why the **** would the Colts take a DE? They need a MLB(Crowder), they could use a CB(Miller), unless they trade for Barber, of course, and their best defensive player is a freaking DE! It makes no sense at all.
Because Mel Kiper is an idiot. And he's got the Chargers taking OL in the first, they have more pressing needs than OL for the first round.

Hyped
04-22-2005, 07:55 AM
I heard that too....finally get the full first round on TV....with no NHL playoffs, they've got nothing better to do....

TSN has carried it every year that I can remember...

And here's the link to their 1st round projection:

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/feature.asp?fid=10119

Tuggy
04-22-2005, 08:41 AM

I would love to see their predictions play out. I am really hopin the Pats take McFadden.

Vic Rattlehead*
04-22-2005, 09:05 AM
21. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS - Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan
Though he might have been his best as a sophomore, before getting shifted to safety as a junior and back to corner as a senior, Jackson is an ***-around performer, willing in run support and had six tackles for loss among his 47 tackles to with one interception.

Sounds good.

TazzMetal
04-22-2005, 09:26 AM

Actually, if my memory serves me well, TSN only covered the draft from Noon to 14:30 PM last year and the year before as they were covering the NHL playoff afternoon game afterwards.

Great news that they will carry the whole first round this year.

Hyped
04-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Actually, if my memory serves me well, TSN only covered the draft from Noon to 14:30 PM last year and the year before as they were covering the NHL playoff afternoon game afterwards.

Great news that they will carry the whole first round this year.

Could be, I had to leave early last year so maybe I should have thought a little harder before I typed... :innocent:

Hyped
04-22-2005, 09:38 AM
I would love to see their predictions play out. I am really hopin the Pats take McFadden.

As a Fish fan, I hope they are way off base. I want them to select in the #2 spot and take Ronnie Brown. If they get a deal they can't pass up (say a trade with the Vikes and move down a few spots), then I'd hope they take Cedric Benson. I'm not sold on Carnell Williams...

Enoch
04-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Dolphins trade Patrick Surtain to the Chiefs for a 2nd round pick and swap of 6th round picks!!!

Big news if your a chief fan - they finally ponied up.

Hyped
04-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Dolphins trade Patrick Surtain to the Chiefs for a 2nd round pick and swap of 6th round picks!!!

Big news if your a chief fan - they finally ponied up.

Haha! I just posted this in the other NFL draft thread. I'll ask the same question here. Does anyone think that Auburn QB, Jason Campbell, will be around with that pick? I think he'd be a good candidate at that position (considering Miami takes a RB with their 1st)...

Brodeur
04-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Haha! I just posted this in the other NFL draft thread. I'll ask the same question here. Does anyone think that Auburn QB, Jason Campbell, will be around with that pick? I think he'd be a good candidate at that position (considering Miami takes a RB with their 1st)...

Apparently the Redskins traded for another 1st with the intention of taking Jason Campbell. The NFL Live crew on ESPN was digging into Daniel Snyder for letting so much information leak out.

Vic Rattlehead*
04-22-2005, 11:40 AM
TSN has Matt Jones being drafted a little to high, IMO.

31. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - Matt Jones, WR, Arkansas
The Eagles are looking to get rid of Freddie Mitchell and Jones would be a devastating weapon in his slot position. Jones is a freak of nature who runs under 4.40 consistently at 6'6 at 240 pounds. He's raw, having played quarterback in college, but he projects as a matchup nightmare.

Sure, the guy is gifted physic***y, but a WR who played QB in College is a risky pick that high.

Jared Ramsden
04-22-2005, 11:43 AM
As a Fish fan, I hope they are way off base. I want them to select in the #2 spot and take Ronnie Brown. If they get a deal they can't pass up (say a trade with the Vikes and move down a few spots), then I'd hope they take Cedric Benson. I'm not sold on Carnell Williams...

I love what they have the Lions doing....too bad it won't happen though cause Millen stated already that Howard wants too much $$$..........

Dr Love
04-22-2005, 11:53 AM
They must be using Mel Kiper's projections, that's where he has him going.

The Eagles are the best fit for Jones, but not in the 1st round.

Brodeur
04-22-2005, 11:54 AM

Sure, the guy is gifted physic***y, but a WR who played QB in College is a risky pick that high.

I fully expect the Eagles to trade up again, but if they don't, they can afford to gamble with the #31 or #34 pick. This is definitely a guy that I'd want another team to take though.

Charge_Seven
04-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Where will the Raiders take a Quarterback? We all know the Raiders need to take someone with some talent at QB, but we also know that they need to add about five defensive players to keep themselves in games anyways. Any chance we (the Raiders) grab a QB with anything whatsoever to offer past the 3rd round?

Big McLargehuge
04-22-2005, 12:03 PM

How so?

The Steelers are, easily, the best fit for Jones. Look what they've done with QB conversions the past few years. Ward and Randle-El is a nice track record that no one else can even come close to matching.

I feel strongly that Jones will flop with pretty much any other franchise.

Dr Love
04-22-2005, 12:11 PM
How so?
Because they will find the best way to get the most production out of him. He won't play right away though.

The Steelers are, easily, the best fit for Jones. Look what they've done with QB conversions the past few years. Ward and Randle-El is a nice track record that no one else can even come close to matching.
Two guys, one isn't even an every down player. Don't make it sound like the Steelers have perfected some unknown art, players were converted from position to another all the time in the old days, and still were in the 80s. Larry Wilson was a TE in college, went on to be arguably the greatest saftey to every play. Art Monk was a RB in college, Drew Pearson was a QB... it's been done before, it'll be done again.

GB
04-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Where will the Raiders take a Quarterback? We all know the Raiders need to take someone with some talent at QB, but we also know that they need to add about five defensive players to keep themselves in games anyways. Any chance we (the Raiders) grab a QB with anything whatsoever to offer past the 3rd round?
I've heard they'll take the QB from Hawaii (his name escapes me) on the 2nd day, given that he's put up loads of yards in a pass orientated offence, and let him compete for the 3rd QB slot.

Dr Love
04-22-2005, 01:49 PM
I've heard they'll take the QB from Hawaii (his name escapes me) on the 2nd day, given that he's put up loads of yards in a pass orientated offence, and let him compete for the 3rd QB slot.
Timmy Chang. All time NCAA passing yards leader.

If Aaron Rodgers falls to them (and he might), they will take him.

ObeySteve
04-22-2005, 02:36 PM

Channing Crowder likely won't be drafted until mid-second round or later now for some reason.

TVanek26*
04-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Timmy Chang. All time NCAA passing yards leader.

If Aaron Rodgers falls to them (and he might), they will take him.

Your saying you think Aaron Rodgers will fall down to 26??

He'll be taken in the top 10,guaranteed.

Dr Love
04-22-2005, 02:43 PM

He'll be taken in the top 10,guaranteed.WILL fall to 26? No. Wouldn't surprize me in the least if he did though. Only so many teams need a QB.

EDIT: When I say 26, I mean 24, Green Bay.

Jared Ramsden
04-22-2005, 02:48 PM

He'll be taken in the top 10,guaranteed.

I second that....I still think there is an outside chance he goes #1......Couple RUMORS that I've heard floating around.....one is SD trading #28 to TB for Simeon Rice and a 3rd(the one that SD originally sent to TB for McCardell).....and another which i like because is involves both my teams :D ....SD trades to #10 by giving Detroit their #12 and #28....SD would also get Det's 2nd rounder.....

Mathletic
04-22-2005, 02:58 PM
I second that....I still think there is an outside chance he goes #1......Couple RUMORS that I've heard floating around.....one is SD trading #28 to TB for Simeon Rice and a 3rd(the one that SD originally sent to TB for McCardell).....and another which i like because is involves both my teams :D ....SD trades to #10 by giving Detroit their #12 and #28....SD would also get Det's 2nd rounder.....

a trade involving Rice becomes more and more unlikely because a trade would hurt as much as if the Bucs would release him. That's why we hear more of Barber than Rice

MLH
04-22-2005, 03:10 PM

Wow, 8 corners projected to go in round one. I've been hoping for months that Webster would fall to the Bills at #55, not looking so good anymore.

Riggins
04-22-2005, 03:47 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-tenhotdraftrumo&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

The 10 rumors/draft tidbits with some legs

1. At No. 2, Nick Saban is driving an impossibly hard bargain in trade talks to move down. He's adhering to the draft-value sheet most teams use to determine the fairness of trades in a year when most NFL people you should throw the sheet away because the level of talent is not as good.

2. Minnesota will not, contrary to many reports, package both of its first-round picks (seven and 18) to move up to get the wide receiver Edwards.

3. At 21, Jacksonville has legitimate interest in Matt Jones, the Arkansas quarterback-turning-wideout-or-tight-end. At 6-foot-2 and 242 pounds, Jones is the most intriguing player in this draft because he can run the 40 in less than 4.4 seconds. It's most likely, though, that he goes a dozen picks lower -- say, to Philadelphia, which has the 31st and 35th picks.

4. Carlos Rogers is flying up the board. The Auburn corner could go as high as No. 8 to Arizona.

5. The Carolina Panthers, picking 14th, might try to swoop into the top 10 or 11 if any of the three stud running backs -- Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson -- fall out of the top eight or nine.

6. The football world thinks Dallas is going with Shawne Merriman, the hybrid Maryland end/linebacker, at No. 11. I'm sticking with Troy OLB Demarcus Ware there.

7. Speaking of Ware, his name gained some momentum late in the week in the Buccaneers' draft room. Jon Gruden, I'm told, thinks Ware can be the next Simeon Rice. Likely too high for him, though, to go fifth overall.

8. Don't call San Diego asking to trade up. GM A.J. Smith will tell you, politely, to fry ice. The Chargers will sit at 12 or move down slightly, hoping to get a pass-rusher and a wideout with some speed with their two first-rounders.

9. I'm hearing new Tennessee offensive coordinator Norm Chow's case for USC wideout Mike Williams was made spiritedly, but it won't happen. The Titans look like a cornerback team with the sixth pick.

10. The Jets might be working the phones trying to package their two second-rounders for a mid- to-low-first-round pick. Let me work on that one and get back to you.

-----------------

I hope the Jags don't gamble like that at 21

Dr Love
04-22-2005, 03:49 PM
1. At No. 2, Nick Saban is driving an impossibly hard bargain in trade talks to move down. He's adhering to the draft-value sheet most teams use to determine the fairness of trades in a year when most NFL people you should throw the sheet away because the level of talent is not as good.

Bull, the talent is fine in this draft. It's just that there is little separation, and thus no one is interested in moving up that high. King seems to forget that teams have different draft value sheets.

Mathletic
04-22-2005, 05:07 PM
[i]Bull, the talent is fine in this draft. It's just that there is little separation, and thus no one is interested in moving up that high. King seems to forget that teams have different draft value sheets.

exactly, I don't remember seeing as many good conerbacks available ina draft ... maybe if you're looking for the next Dan Marino then you might not get you want but overall it is a good draft imo

Dr Love
04-22-2005, 05:18 PM
exactly, I don't remember seeing as many good conerbacks available ina draft ... maybe if you're looking for the next Dan Marino then you might not get you want but overall it is a good draft imo
It's a good draft in terms of (percieved) talent in the later stages of the 1st, but for up front talent it's (percieved to be) weak. Of course, the only way we'll know is after a couple of years of them actually playing.

Hockeyfan02
04-22-2005, 05:54 PM
This draft has good depth, just no real front line talent which is why a lot of teams want to trade down. Me and a buddy of mine were talking about it yesterday. The year our teams are 1-2 in the draft (he is of course a Miami fan) there isn't a franchise player type prospect. Just over half a day till the draft. It's pretty much down to 2 for the 49ers and while I prefered Rodgers earlier, I think Smith may be the better pick at #1 if they're going QB. The best player in this draft though is Braylon Edwards, but from what I've been reading the last few days he doesnt have much of a shot unless the 49ers completely shock me.

Gibsons Finest
04-22-2005, 06:13 PM
If Edge is traded, look for Indy to take Maurice Clarrett and/or Jessie Lumsden in the later rounds. With Rhodes as the would-be starter(unless they trade for Henry), they're definetely a team that may take a chance on an RB that is a long-shot to, but could possibly do well in the NFL. I doubt they'd use something like a 4th or 5th on Clarrett, so I'm thinking they'll take Lumsden, especially since they were at his workouts.

LaLaLaprise
04-22-2005, 06:32 PM
My mock draft....

#1 49ers - Alex Smith, QB, Utah
SF is taking a bit of a gamble seeing as how Alex Smith played in a gimmick system in college, but he has much better size then the other top qb in this draft, Aaron Rodgers, so he gets the nod. He has uncanny accuracy and very good athletic ability for a qb. His downfall is that he doesnt have the strongest arm.

#2 Dolphins - Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
The Dolphins try and find their replacement for Ricky Williams. Brown has the best combination of size and speed at RB in this draft. Plus he has very good hands coming out of the backfield.

#3 Browns - Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal
Jeff Garcia isnt getting any younger and this could be the franchise QB the Browns have wanted. Very quick release and a live arm, can make all the throws. His only drawback seems to be his relatively short height for a qb at 6'2

#4 Bears - Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
Edwards is the class of WRs this year. He combines tremendous size, speed, leaping ability and hands. With the Bears letting David Terrel go, Edwards should most likely be starting opening day accross from Mushin Mohammad

#5 Bucs - Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn
The Bucs seem to have found their QB in Griese, but still need a top RB to take pressure off him, this is where Caddy fits the bill. He has good size, good speed and great agility. Can also return punts which is a plus.

#6 Titans - Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami
The Titans let Andre Dyson walk so Rolle should be the pick. Has great size at 6'1 200, and is very strong. Plays best in bump coverage. Excellent play recognition and tackling ability.

#7 Vikings - Mike Williams, WR, USC
The vikes could also go LB but losing Randy Moss wont be easy to replace so Williams is the pick. Very big WR with extremely soft hands. His only knock is his size, which is more for a TE then a WR, and his slow 40 times.

#8 Cardinals - Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
Zona has tried to trade for Buffalo's Travis Henry but nothing can be worked out. Benson is the pick. Workhorse style back that Dennis Green likes. Will be able to carry the ball 20-25 times a game. A bit overrated coming out of college and dissappears in big games.

#9 Redskins - Adam Jones, CB, WVU
Skins lost smoot this offseason and Bailey the year before, they need help at corner and Jones will help immediately. Very fast and agile, great ball skills and physical. Only knock is he is under 5'10. Can also return punts and kicks.

#10 Lions - Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas
By far the best LB in this years draft. Big fast and mean. Great motor and makes plays all over the field. Only knock is that he might not be strong enough to hold up stopping the run.

#11 Cowboys - Marcus Spears, DE, LSU
Parcells wants to get bigger on the defensive side of the ball. And Spears does just that. big end at 300 pounds but as quick as a 250 pounder. Will be an instant starter on Dallas and provides both size and nastiness to the Dallas DL.

#12 Chargers - Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina
McCardell isnt getting any younger. Williamson has great size at 6'1 200 and is very fast. A big playmaker after the catch. Will fit in nicely with San Diegos offense.

#13 Texans - Alex Barron, OT, FSU
The Texans OL, put nicely, is a joke. David Carr wont last 6 years in this league if things stay the same. Barron is the prototypical LT with a huge frame and very long arms. Think Walter Jones at Seattle.

#14 Panthers - Heath Miller, TE, Virginia
Big body with soft hands. A big play TE that can make the tough catch over the middle. Will be an instant upgrade for the Panthers.

#15 Chiefs - Thomas Davis, S, Georgia
with the Chiefs trading for Surtain a corner isnt a need position at this pick. Davis will move to OLB in the NFL and will instantly upgrade the chiefs defense. Very vicious hitter who can cover a lot of ground very quickly.

#16 Saints - Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
Big rangy tackle with a mean streak. Great run blocker and seals very well. Only knock on him is that he is average at pass blocking. Will play RT in the pros.

#17 Bengals - Travis Johnson, DT, FSU
Big penetrating DT that lives in the backfield of opponents. Is also solid against the run. Great size at 6'5 290, and has the frame to add another 20 pounds of bulk

#18 Vikings - Carlos Rodgers, CB, Auburn
great size at 6'1 195. Can be physical and is smart on the field. Shows good speed and agility. Only knock is that his ball skills are a little below average and he sometimes loses sight of his man one on one.

#19 Rams - Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
Could be the best pure pass rusher in this draft. Will work well with Leonard Little on the other side from him. Only knock is that he has had a lot of injuries.

#20 Cowboys - Shawne Merriman, LB, Maryland
great size at 6'3 250. good speed and instincts. pursues well sideline to sideline. Will be a starter by midseason for Parcells.

#21 Jaguars - David Pollack, DE, UGA
combines adequate athletic skills with a great motor. Never quits on any play. Recognizes plays very well and is smart with his hands. Will benefit from constant one on ones because of Henderson and Stroud.

#22 Ravens - Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
The best pure route runner in this draft, Is also very good after the catch. Baltimore desperately needs a playmaker at WR to help Boller out and Clayton has the hands, speed and agility to be the deep threat the Ravens so sorely need.

#23 Seahawks - Justin Miller, CB, Clemson
good size at 5'11 200. Very quick and agile. Great ball skills. lacks the top end speed you would want but makes up for it with his physical style of play. Is great at returning punts and kicks aswell.

#24 Packers - Matt Roth, DE, Iowa
Much like David Pollack except bigger. Someone besides KGB has to get pressure on the QB, and Roth could very well be that guy. Very strong and hardworking DE that shows some explosivness off the line.

#25 Redskins - Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn
Joe Gibbs has fallen in love with Jason Camobell. Great size and a live arm. Can also tuck the ball and run for the first. Works through his reads very well and can make all the throws. Will be perfect for Gibbs' offense with the bootlegs and rollouts.

#26 Raiders - Corey Webster, CB, LSU
Trading Buchanon leaves a corner spot up for grabs. Webster is a big physical corner with the best ball skills of any DB in this draft. Senior year was slowed down by injury but will make a great pro.

#27 Falcons - Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma
Tall rangy DE that can make plays rushing the passer or playing the run. Has a good motor and utilizes his skills well.

#28 Chargers - Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington
good pass blocking tackle that should upgrade the Chargers OL and protect Brees' backside for a number of years. Needs to work on his nastiness and run blocking and consistency.

#29 Colts - DeMarcus Ware, DE, Troy
Small but very quick DE. Will team with Dwight Freeney to be very effective. Needs to get bigger and at 225 pounds, may move to LB in the pros.

#30 Steelers - Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan
Steelers secondary was their weakness last year. Marlin Jackson is the type of player they like. Hard nosed corner who punishes ball carriers and reveivers at the LOS. Has good ball skills when ball is in the air. His knock is that he is too agressive, being called for a lot of penalties in college.

#31 Eagles - Reggie Brown, WR, UGA
Brown has nice size and good speed and very good hands. Will go over the middle for the tough catch and his very good running routes. Is a very mature player and will instantly become the starting slot receiver for the Eagles opening day.

#32 Patriots - Fabian Washington, CB, Nebraska
Very fast and agile corner. Can make a lot of plays. good size at 5'11 190. Very good ball skills and should help the thin patriots secondary. Can also return punts.

Charge_Seven
04-22-2005, 06:38 PM
If Edge is traded, look for Indy to take Maurice Clarrett and/or Jessie Lumsden in the later rounds. With Rhodes as the would-be starter(unless they trade for Henry), they're definetely a team that may take a chance on an RB that is a long-shot to, but could possibly do well in the NFL. I doubt they'd use something like a 4th or 5th on Clarrett, so I'm thinking they'll take Lumsden, especially since they were at his workouts.

I actually recently heard they intend to take Lumsden late, and change him into a safety...shocking to me...but I do know they are supposedly quite interested in him. He could go, and if anywhere, it'll be Indy.

Foppa
04-22-2005, 06:41 PM
#15 Chiefs - Thomas Davis, S, Georgia
with the Chiefs trading for Surtain a corner isnt a need position at this pick. Davis will move to OLB in the NFL and will instantly upgrade the chiefs defense. Very vicious hitter who can cover a lot of ground very quickly.

Davis seems to be a sexy pick for the Chiefs now that they got Surtain...but they better be sure he can play OLB at the NFL level because the Chiefs have a lot of money tied up into safeties right now with Knight, Woods, and Wesley and they don't need to draft a safety at all. Granted, Davis is one heck of a football player...

Also, to add to the note of Rogers shooting up the draft board - the reason why the Chiefs got the Surtain deal pounded out is because they know that there is a very good chance none of Pac Man, Rolle or Rogers will be around at pick #15. There are plenty of people who think his all-around upside is as high or higher than either Pac Man or Rolle, although I still see him going third out of the group. But Top 10 is not out of the question.

GKJ
04-22-2005, 06:48 PM
#3 Browns - Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal
Jeff Garcia isnt getting any younger and this could be the franchise QB the Browns have wanted. Very quick release and a live arm, can make all the throws. His only drawback seems to be his relatively short height for a qb at 6'2

Jeff Garcia was released and signed with Detroit. Trent Dilfer is the QB in Cleveland now.

LaLaLaprise
04-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Davis played OLB at UGA his freshman year and part of his sophomore year and dominated, but then switched to safety because UGA had an abundance of OLBs that could play
Davis is already pushing 230, and has trouble covering in space so OLB seems natural

as for Rolle, Rogers and Pac Man...
Pac Man has the most upside out of all them, his main downfall is that he measured under 5'10 at the combine, not good since WRs are bigger and bigger these days. But he is very explosive and plays physical
Rolle is by far the steadiest of the 3. He is basically a no bust player because you know exactly what you are going to get.
Rogers is somewhere in between. He has a pretty high ceiling, but his bust factor is pretty high because he struggled in coverage a lot at times, losing sight of his man regularly.

Corey Webster is the guy that really intrigues me. He was a WR and moved to corner so his ball skills are very very very good. and his ceiling is as high as anyone elses. If he is there in the late first and im a GM, I dont hesitate to draft him. He'll be a very good pro.

LaLaLaprise
04-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Jeff Garcia was released and signed with Detroit. Trent Dilfer is the QB in Cleveland now.

oh crap completely forgot about that
well dilfer isnt gonna take you anywhere unless you have a Baltimore Raven defense so the pick still applies :D

Doomsday Device
04-22-2005, 07:07 PM
They must be using Mel Kiper's projections, that's where he has him going.

The ESPN mock draft was done by John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli, not Mel Kiper (a good thing).

And the TSN one is different.

Vic Rattlehead*
04-22-2005, 07:08 PM
#21 Jaguars - David Pollack, DE, UGA
combines adequate athletic skills with a great motor. Never quits on any play. Recognizes plays very well and is smart with his hands. Will benefit from constant one on ones because of Henderson and Stroud.

Well, Hayward and Wiley were signed as DE's, so it's a big possibility that the Jags will draft a CB.

LaLaLaprise
04-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Maybe...
I dont think Hayward and Wiley are that much of an upgrade over a rookie Pollack to begin with, if any.

Vic Rattlehead*
04-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Maybe...
I dont think Hayward and Wiley are that much of an upgrade over a rookie Pollack to begin with, if any.

I'm guessing you don't know much about Hayward....

http://tsn.ca/nfl/teams/player_bio.asp?player_id=1948&hubname=JAX

Wiley sucks, but they have depth now at DE. As for CB, they have a starter in Mathis, then a nickelback in Cousin. Washington and Bolden were cut. Jags will most definately draft a CB. Trust me.

Liquidrage*
04-22-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm still wondering why Rolle is so high in everyone's draft.

If there's one thing I'd like in a high 1st Rnd pick is that they were actually good the year before they were drafted. Don't look now by Rolle just gave up another TD as Louisville puts another 7 on the board.

He, and by "he" I mean him and not just the 'Canes or their backfield, was horrible in several games and he got beat regularly.

Sure, maybe his head wasn't into it and Miami had some chemistry issues. But for a high first round pick to me that doesn't justify it. He's living off his performance from the previous year and his combine ability. His on the field play last year doesnt warrant being picked on the 1st day let alone the Top 10.

LaLaLaprise
04-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I guess we'll see
It depends on what their board looks like obviously

Dr Love
04-22-2005, 07:57 PM
#31 Eagles - Reggie Brown, WR, UGA
Brown has nice size and good speed and very good hands. Will go over the middle for the tough catch and his very good running routes. Is a very mature player and will instantly become the starting slot receiver for the Eagles opening day.
The Eagles do not play rookie WRs. They just do not. There is no way that if they were to draft one that he would be the slot WR. It'll be Mitchell or Greg Lewis as the 3rd WR.

LaLaLaprise
04-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Reggie Brown is an instant upgrade over Mitchell and Greg Lewis
he'll be their slot guy
as for Eagles not playing rookie WRs, I seem to remember Freddie Mitchel getting a lot of playing time his rookie year, and Reggie Brown is a more polished WR then Mitchell.

Dr Love
04-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Reggie Brown is an instant upgrade over Mitchell and Greg Lewis
he'll be their slot guy
as for Eagles not playing rookie WRs, I seem to remember Freddie Mitchel getting a lot of playing time his rookie year, and Reggie Brown is a more polished WR then Mitchell.Well, you're wrong, you're just plain wrong. Mitchell rarely played, 21 catches, 1 start. Todd Pinkston rarely played, 10 catches, 1 start. Billy McMullen 5 games, 1 catch. Andy Reid doesn't give rookie WRs meaningful playing time, he feels they need a whole season to learn the offense. You're being ignorant if you think he will give a rookie WR meaningful snaps, let alone start day one.

Ronnie Bass
04-23-2005, 11:16 AM
15 minutes to make a pick is ridiculous, should be more like 10.

Going Back to Cally
04-23-2005, 11:16 AM
49ers are on the clock.

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Good job NFL, 15 minutes into the draft you start the clock for the 49ers. Paint dries faster.

Joe T Choker
04-23-2005, 11:18 AM

I have always been of the thought, that the team picking #1 (they've been "on the clock" since how long now?) should start the draft at NOON EST ... not 15 minutes after 12:12 PM EST

David A. Rainer
04-23-2005, 11:18 AM

Unless you're Minnesota.

What I can do without are the 20 minutes of hype before the first team goes on the clock. The commish should start the clock right at noon EST.

EDIT - funny how so many of use thought the same thing at the same time. I'm sure everyone feels the same way. Hey NFL, GET ON WITH IT!

Ronnie Bass
04-23-2005, 11:21 AM
I have always been of the thought, that the team picking #1 (they've been "on the clock" since how long now?) should start the draft at NOON EST ... not 15 minutes after 12:12 PM EST
Me too, I thought the commisioner was going to announce the Niners pick, not to annouce that they were on the clock. Like you said he should have done that at noon, talk about milking it. Plus you have had months to get ready for this, if you need 15 minutes to make a pick it's obvious you have not done your homework.

clefty
04-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Jesus, all I want to do is see the Bucs pick so I can go back to sleep...at this rate I'll be waiting anothe 2 hours until they get to #5.

Joe T Choker
04-23-2005, 11:26 AM
And with the first pick in the Draft, the 49ers select QB Alex Smith out of Utah

TazzMetal
04-23-2005, 11:27 AM
With the first overall selection, the 49ers select Alex Smith QB.

Edit : Doh, looks like I was beaten. Now, lets see if Rodgers drops.

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Okay, from here on out, can we not post every pick. If you want to discuss a pick, as in "they should have taken ______ instead..." or "he's a good fit..." by all means do. But we don't need this thread to be an update for every pick.

Chaos
04-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Okay, from here on out, can we not post every pick. If you want to discuss a pick, as in "they should have taken ______ instead..." or "he's a good fit..." by all means do. But we don't need this thread to be an update for every pick.

:handclap:

Joe T Choker
04-23-2005, 11:33 AM
will do Dr. Love

Big McLargehuge
04-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Just another 15 more hours until the Steelers pick :rant:

They really need to cut the time down between picks. Cutting it down to 5 minutes would save so much time...I love the draft but the first round is so painful to watch...especially if your team isn't picking until late(or not picking at all) in the first round...

clefty
04-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I can't take it, I'm going to sleep. One pick has been made in 40 minutes.

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 11:41 AM
You could have lunch at a normal time and dinner at a normal time and still see the end of the 1st round when you were done dessert.

Hockeyfan02
04-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Well the rebuilding has to start at QB. Consesus is that Smith is slightly better than Rodgers with a higher ceiling. Sounds like he's very intellegent and can process info very fast which is good in the NFL. Only thing I worry about is how he'll adapt to being under center, but I doubt it will be a problem.

Hockeyfan02
04-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Rodney Harrison is on after 12:45. A sign of disrespect from ESPN.

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 11:52 AM
ESPN would get great ratings if they put Mel Kiper on a torture rack and every time a pick that didn't match his mock was made, they move the wheel one increment further.

Joe T Choker
04-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Mike Williams is going to be the big loser today ... Braylon > Mike ;)

TazzMetal
04-23-2005, 11:58 AM

I will have to disagree on that one. I see Williams as having the better career of the two. Then again, i'm a sucker for big frames.

It will be interested who the Bears go for. I think it comes down to Cadillac and Williams with the edge to Cadillac as the Bears have a bigger need at RB.

John Flyers Fan
04-23-2005, 11:58 AM

Braylon is very good, but Williams is better.

Anthony*
04-23-2005, 11:59 AM
ESPN would get great ratings if they put Mel Kiper on a torture rack and every time a pick that didn't match his mock was made, they move the wheel one increment further.kipers mock has been perfect thus far

Tuggy
04-23-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't like the pick by the 49ers. I just don't see Smith as being a franchise player. Plus he is not going to be easy to sign, he is looking for a BIG signing bonus. And the 49ers are known for being cheap, good luck with Alex(same agent as Eli :rolleyes: ) If I were them I would have traded but they may not of gotten any really good offers. But a QB almost always goes first overall.

Love the Edwards pick by the Browns, he is going to be very good.

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 12:01 PM
kipers mock has been perfect thus far
He has. Give it time though, he is terrible at accuracy.

http://www.slate.com/id/104163

Tuggy
04-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I always love listening to Romeo, seems like such a nice guy.

Rick Middleton
04-23-2005, 12:09 PM
The

draft

is

too

slow.

Holy crap, speed things up somewhat people. I'm falling asleep here.

MontrealCruiser_83*
04-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Please Tampa... Take Cadillac.

Please Tennessee, don't mess up and pass on Williams.

Joe T Choker
04-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Please Tampa... Take Cadillac.

Please Tennessee, don't mess up and pass on Williams.

Our defense SUCKS BALLS!!!! ... we're going CB, Antrell Rolle is going to be there

Bluenote13
04-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Gotta like those guys all on the cellphones when they get picked, looks glued to their face until someone finally says "Put the phone DOWN and hug your MOTHER" ;)

Steve Latin*
04-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Man, that interview with Cedric Benson was painful to watch. He seemed so overwhelmed that he could barely speak intelligibly.

The draft evaluation process was just a slap in the face??

S L

Duff88
04-23-2005, 12:20 PM
NFL entry draft is great but man, the 15:00 minutes between picks is way too long... This is so slow, it's starting to get boring...

MontrealCruiser_83*
04-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Our defense SUCKS BALLS!!!! ... we're going CB, Antrell Rolle is going to be there
Rolle is going to be a safety in the NFL. He's extremely weak in coverage. He's a great blitzer and is steady in run support but the Titans would be making a mistake picking him as an answer to our CB problems. Take Williams and one of Fabian Washington and J. Miller in the 2nd. Mason was our biggest loss this offseason and we need to regain a possession reciever.

Joe T Choker
04-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Man, that interview with Cedric Benson was painful to watch. He seemed so overwhelmed that he could barely speak intelligibly.

The draft evaluation process was just a slap in the face??

S L

I believe it had more to do with people comparing him to Ricky Williams, just because he had dread locks, was a running back at Texas, and everyone wants to be compared to a pot-smoking quitter etc, etc, etc.

Anthony*
04-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Holy crap, speed things up somewhat people. I'm falling asleep here.is this your first nfl draft

ATG
04-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Im not a Bears fan but taking Benson over a competent reciever was a mistake. You have Thomas Jones, A-train and now Benson. Mike Williams should have been their pick. Minnesota it is I guess

BrooklynCanuck
04-23-2005, 12:30 PM
This draft seems especially slow.

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 12:31 PM
So when does Kiper get his first incorrect prediction?

ATG
04-23-2005, 12:31 PM
NFL entry draft is great but man, the 15:00 minutes between picks is way too long... This is so slow, it's starting to get boring...

Ya it should be 10 minutes tops. I think this is the worse draft out of the big three. NHL and NBA draft are alot better to watch.

Anthony*
04-23-2005, 12:32 PM
So when does Kiper get his first incorrect prediction?kiper had the bucs taking rodgers

TVanek26*
04-23-2005, 12:36 PM
LMAO Pac-Man?!?!

I would take 5 other guys over him

(Rodgers,Rolle,Williams,Barron and Merriman)

Anthony*
04-23-2005, 12:37 PM
name the five

ATG
04-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Pacman Jones to the Titans. Damn he is small though the big WR's may have a field day. 5"9 :eek:

Hockeyfan02
04-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Pac Man and Lil Jon....seperated at birth.

Anthony*
04-23-2005, 12:39 PM
(Rodgers,Rolle,Williams,Barron and Merriman) :lol:

Joe T Choker
I wish I could run a 4.3 40 ... after a full day or two at the combine

ATG
Here comes Williams to the Vikes. Steal of the draft :clap:

TazzMetal
04-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Wow, Pac-Man goes earlier than I expected and ahead of Rolle to boot. Looks like the Cards will have to decide between Rolle and Rodgers at #8.

It now looks like the Vikes will get Williams, unless they prefer Williamson which I personally hope is not the case. Not that Williamson is not talented, just that I would love to see Williams get started in Minny.

TVanek26*
04-23-2005, 12:40 PM
:lol:

Ok buddy,insight us on why Pac-man is so amazing?

ATG
04-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Ok buddy,insight us on why Pac-man is so amazing?

I wish I could run a 4.3 40 ... after a full day or two at the combine

:dunno:

Hockeyfan02
04-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Now the most interesting part of the draft: will the Vikings get their pick in on time.

Rick Middleton
04-23-2005, 12:42 PM
To everyone, you can disagree with someone but there's no need to be an ass about it. I'm taking a zero-tolerance policy on this. This is your one and only warning.

Anthony*
04-23-2005, 12:42 PM
he isnt amazing

he was the right choice for the titans however

your list of five was ridiculous except for rolle, which many preferred pacman over

TVanek26*
04-23-2005, 12:43 PM
:dunno:

Uh speed doesn't make you great.Antonio Brown ran a 4.18 40....where is he now?

Pac-Man is 5'9 and playing in a division with great passing attacks....Titans should have taken Rolle or Aaron Rodgers because Mcnair won't last much longer.

ATG
04-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Uh speed doesn't make you great.Antonio Brown ran a 4.18 40....where is he now?

Pac-Man is 5'9 and playing in a division with great passing attacks....Titans should have taken Rolle or Aaron Rodgers because Mcnair won't last much longer.

Agreed. I thought Rolle was their pick but what do I know im not a GM or scout.

Rick Middleton
04-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Did Merrill Hoge get hair plugs? He looks ... odd.

ATG
04-23-2005, 12:48 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Steve Latin*
I'm very impressed by Torry Holt's ability to hold his own with all of these broadcasters. I didn't realize he was a player until Berman called him by name.

This guy's got a bright future after his playing career.

He also nails the Vikings Williamson pick.

S L

Anthony*
tice should be fired

Free Torts
04-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Troy Williamson, to the Vikes, hmm. I thought they had bigger holes to fill than wideout.

The Mars Volchenkov
Wow...they passed on Mike Williams. Whoever gets this guy has a steal. I can't see Arizona taking him with Boldin and Fitzgerald so he'll probably drop another pick.

TVanek26*
I like this pick,though Mike Williams would have been better.

Rick Middleton
Hmn, that's a bit of a surprise. Mike Williams is falling ...

MontrealCruiser_83*
04-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Jones is an awful pick for the Titans. Great, your're going to put a #6 pick out there to return kicks. He certainly won't be put out there to cover any #1 WR in the league. 5'9.. and a delinquient. Great choice :shakehead .

Minny messed up on their pick too.

MLH
So now where does Williams go?

I can't see it being either Arizona or Detroit and I think the Skins will go with a CB. Dallas at 11?

Does Carolina trade up to replace MM?

TazzMetal
Wow, Williamson instead of Williams. Now that ladies and gentlemen is the shocker of the draft, at least for me.

Guess the Vikes fell in love with Williamson's speed.

Also, am I the only one enjoying Torrie Holt as a commentator ? I'm very surprised by him and enjoying having him on the panel.

ATG
04-23-2005, 12:53 PM
So now where does Williams go?

I can't see it being either Arizona or Detroit and I think the Skins will go with a CB. Dallas at 11?

Cowboy fans must be licking their chops. Did you see the reaction from the Viking fans :confused:

Safir*
04-23-2005, 12:54 PM

They might as well speculate that he'll fall to them at 14.

Transplanted Caper
Will Rodgers go to Arizona?

Joe T Choker
Wow, Williamson instead of Williams. Now that ladies and gentlemen is the shocker of the draft, at least for me.

Also, am I the only one enjoying Torrie Holt as a commentator ? I'm very surprised by him and enjoying having him on the panel.

yea, I've got to believe that Torrie's got a job with ESPN, as soon as he retires :clap:

ATG
BTW if Rolle doesn't go here to Arizona I will be very....very...surprised.

Chaos
04-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Cowboys fans must be licking their chops. Did you see the reaction from the Viking fans :confused:

Things would get REALLY interesting if Williams falls to #11, as we need both a WR and a defensive playmaker.

Steve Latin*
04-23-2005, 12:55 PM

Hah... we both noted the Holt thing nearly simultaneously. One thing's for sure, he beats the pants off of Terrell Davis on the NFL network.

S L

MLH
04-23-2005, 12:57 PM
They might as well speculate that he'll fall to them at 14.

Highly doubt he falls that far. They'd have to have Dallas and SD pass on him, no one else trade up, and rely that no one takes the BPA.

Anthony*
04-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Will Rodgers go to Arizona?rodgers is a perfect "cardinals" pick

TVanek26*
04-23-2005, 01:00 PM
rolle...looks like Henry will be dealt to Arizona then...

Probably #44 and Shelton for Henry and #55

Hawkalyzer
04-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Im not a Bears fan but taking Benson over a competent reciever was a mistake. You have Thomas Jones, A-train and now Benson. Mike Williams should have been their pick. Minnesota it is I guess

A-Train isn't around anymore and they plan on adding another reciever in the 2nd round. It's a good pick since Ron Turner loves to pound the ball.

ATG
04-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Hmm Rod Gardner is a bum and Santana Moss is small. Maybe Washington does take Williams.

Anthony*
04-23-2005, 01:02 PM
why do they want another receiver

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Please don't take Williams....I don't feel like dealing with our tiny corners having to cover a 6'5 guy for the next 5-10 years.

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Hah... we both noted the Holt thing nearly simultaneously. One thing's for sure, he beats the pants off of Terrell Davis on the NFL network.

S L

He's always been among the best players for something like this with his mix of great intelligence and solid interview skills he's always had.

ATG
04-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Please don't take Williams....I don't feel like dealing with our tiny corners having to cover a 6'5 guy for the next 5-10 years.

The Eagles trading up with Dallas or Washington would be a good idea. TO and Mike Williams :bow:

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:08 PM
The Eagles trading up with Dallas or Washington would be a good idea. TO and Mike Williams :bow:

Not going to happen. If the Eagles trade up, they'll only be able to get to the 15th-18th pick or so, and Williams certainly won't still be on the board then. If the Eagles trade up, they'll go after Jammal Brown for an O-line investment or go with Mark Clayton for a wideout.

By the way, I doubt Owens will be here for more than one season anyway. ;)

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 01:11 PM
I have to wonder about JCD's mental health at this moment.

ATG
04-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Not going to happen. If the Eagles trade up, they'll only be able to get to the 15th-18th pick or so, and Williams certainly won't still be on the board then. If the Eagles trade up, they'll go after Jammal Brown for an O-line investment or go with Mark Clayton for a wideout.

By the way, I doubt Owens will be here for more than one season anyway. ;)

Why? The contract thing will be resolved. TO and Philly are the perfect combination. He better stay :rant:

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Why? The contract thing will be resolved. TO and Philly are the perfect combination. He better stay :rant:

It might have nothing to do with that. Only the first 2 years of Owens contract are basically gauranteed....and if the Eagles see what will be a 32 year old after next season as someone they don't want to keep eating cap space up with, he may not stick around.

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:16 PM
By the way, am I the only one that thinks Mike Williams' situation right now looks like Randy Moss's from the 1998 draft? Moss was picked by many to go in the top 10 (some teams had him in the top 5 on their board), and ended up slipping and slipping, not getting selected until the early twenties. Dallas passed on Moss twice.

Joe T Choker
04-23-2005, 01:16 PM
*hopes Junior Rosegreen falls to the Titans at #37*

I still get shivers up and down my spine whenever I saw him hit someone last year

Vic Rattlehead*
04-23-2005, 01:17 PM
That's what I though when the Vikes took Williamson. :biglaugh:

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Mike Williams can burn the Vikings twice a season for years to come.

Hawkalyzer
04-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Why did Detriot do that?

Hockeyfan02
04-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Why would the Lions draft Mike Williams....makes no sense.

ObeySteve
:rant: :rant: :rant:

DONT LET THE COWBOYS GET DERRICK JOHNSON!

Then again, Merriman has as much promise as Johnson.

P.S. Poor Rodgers....

ATG
Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams. Damn, if Rogers can stay healthy :amazed:

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Why would the Lions draft Mike Williams....makes no sense.

I guess they feel that they can offset having a sub-par quarterback by having 3 great recievers.

Vic Rattlehead*
04-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams. Damn, if Rogers can stay healthy :amazed:

Stupid pick. I'm sorry to say, by draft WR for three years in a row does nothing to help your team at other positions.

Although, the idea of Dallas drafting Johnson is making me estatic!

Nice, My two favourite team have picks coming up (Dallas with 2, Jacksonville)

Hockeyfan02
04-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Dumb move by the Lions. Derrick Johnson would have been the best pick for them and is going to be the best defensive player out of this draft IMO.

Chaos
04-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I will personally go hang Jerry Jones if he doesnt take Derrick Johnson right here.

Porn*
04-23-2005, 01:23 PM
go cowboys!!!!

ATG
04-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Let's see if the Tuna is feeling Johnson.

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Let's see if the Tuna is feeling Johnson.
I might have to delete this post due to it's graphicness.

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:27 PM
:eek:

Nice one, DL.

This is tough for Cowboys. Go after the potentially best defensive player in the draft, or the pass rusher in Merriman that could fit a 3-4 scheme for them perfectly.

ATG
04-23-2005, 01:28 PM
I might have to delete this post due to it's graphicness.

:biglaugh: Not that kind of feeling but I think you knew that already ;) .

ATG
04-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Ware it is, sorry guys no Johnson.

Porn*
04-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Ware it is, sorry guys no Johnson.
not too shabby...i have faith in the tuna's picks.

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Nevermind, Williams is not the one slipping a lot....it's Derrick Johnson and Aaron Rodgers.

Good lord, if this plethora of teams that need a pass rusher dont go for Johnson and he drops another 4 or so picks..... :bow:

ATG
04-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Rodgers is still sittin their :p:

Vic Rattlehead*
04-23-2005, 01:32 PM
I nearly punched a hole in my wall.

Sure, Ware make their defensive line very good, but Johnson is one of, if not, the best defensive player in this draft.

ATG
04-23-2005, 01:35 PM
From my calculations if Carolina doesn't pick him... Rodgers could fall to Green bay at 24 to replace Farve hmm...

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 01:36 PM
I can't see Carolina taking Rodgers... Delhomme is fine and he's not old. He's going to the Packers, just like I said the other day. ;)

TazzMetal
04-23-2005, 01:37 PM
If San Diego passes up on Johnson, I can't think that the Texans would pass on Derrick Johnson. He would be a perfect fit in Texas.

ATG
04-23-2005, 01:38 PM
If San Diego passes up on Johnson, I can't think that the Texans would pass on Derrick Johnson. He would be a perfect fit in Texas.

Ya he would be perfect to replace the departed Jamie Sharper.

Porn*
04-23-2005, 01:38 PM
I nearly punched a hole in my wall.

Sure, Ware make their defensive line very good, but Johnson is one of, if not, the best defensive player in this draft.
he must know something we don't ;)

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:42 PM

They still have glaring holes on the O-Line, so signs still point to the Texans picking Alex Barron or Jammal Brown.

Wild Thing
04-23-2005, 01:43 PM

The poor guy's probably still sitting there staring open-mouthed at his television. The Vikings traded probably the greatest wide receiver in the history of the game for a starting linebacker and the third best receiver in a shallow draft. Unbelievable. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 01:44 PM
the third best receiver
And that's debateable. I'd go Williams/Edwards/Clayton.

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:45 PM
The poor guy's probably still sitting there staring open-mouthed at his television. The Vikings traded probably the greatest wide receiver in the history of the game for a starting linebacker and the third best receiver in a shallow draft. Unbelievable. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Being a little overdramatic, aren't we?

Just because it's a shallow draft doesn't mean Williamson doesn't have the potential to be a stud reciever....and Moss is not the greatest wideout in the game's history.

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Saints on the clock now?!

Noooooooooooooooooo.....DJ!

Chaos
04-23-2005, 01:52 PM
And the Saints trade up to #13...it's gotta be DJ.

Edit:Its not....they take a tackle even though they need defensive help :dunno:

ATG
04-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Saints on the clock now?!

Noooooooooooooooooo.....DJ!

Nope :sarcasm:

Anthony*
04-23-2005, 01:53 PM
good move by the saints

only had to give up a third rounder next year

Epsilon
04-23-2005, 01:54 PM
The "trendy" thing to do on the internet over the past few years seems to be to disparage the Vikings draft picks because of that clock debacle with Kevin Williams. I think the Vikings made a good pick that made sense, and it seems most of the media guys agree.

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:55 PM
The "trendy" thing to do on the internet over the past few years seems to be to disparage the Vikings draft picks because of that clock debacle with Kevin Williams. I think the Vikings made a good pick that made sense, and it seems most of the media guys agree.

What is this "clock debacle"?

Not sure what it's about, but obviously Kevin Williams was an awesome pick. We're already talking about a guy that is a top 3 DT in the league just two seasons into his career.

Bluenote13
I like the guy the Saints picked, by why trade up!? :dunno:

Edit: Yahoo first had it as Hamza Abdullah, Brown is a good pick :handclap:

ATG

Maybe so but even the Vikings fans were shocked when they heard the pick they were ready for Mike Williams.

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 01:56 PM
good move by the saints

only had to give up a third rounder next year

Good move by the Texans, if anything....especially if they get the guy they want (Barron) anyway with the 16th pick.

Anthony*
04-23-2005, 01:57 PM
What is this "clock debacle"?the vikes didnt pick in time and the clock ran out

ATG
I like the guy the Saints picked, by why trade up!? :dunno:

Carolina who have the next pick would have taken him or so the experts say.

Chaos
the vikes didnt pick in time and the clock ran out

Two years in a row.

TVanek26*
04-23-2005, 01:58 PM
And the Saints trade up to #13...it's gotta be DJ.

Edit:Its not....they take a tackle even though they need defensive help :dunno:

He'll help pave the way for Deuce.Saints are on the verge of the playoffs.

Dr Love
Well, the decisions by the people running the Vikings have been so out of whack lately that there's plenty of good reason to rip them.

Bluenote13
Carolina who have the next pick would have taken him or so the experts say.

I meant Abdullah, thats who Yahoo said the pick was. Brown's a good one :handclap:

Riggins
04-23-2005, 01:59 PM
What is this "clock debacle"?

The Vikes had the 7th pick in 2003 I believe it was and were trying to make a deal with Baltimore. The Ravens wanted to take Leftwich. A deal didn't get done and the Vikes didn't get a pick in before time ran out. This allowed the Jags to take Leftwich. Minnesota failed to make the pick at #8 too. Baltimore ended up trading up to pick Boller later on.

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Baltimore ended up trading up to pick Grossman later on.
:teach: You mean Boller.

Epsilon
04-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Maybe so but even the Vikings fans were shocked when they heard the pick they were ready for Mike Williams.

Actually if you were paying attention you'd know you're wrong. That footage was tape delayed, and when the pick was announced, the crowd were cheering and the guy dressed as a Viking at the front was swinging his hammer around and so on.

Chaos
04-23-2005, 02:06 PM
This has got to be a dream for a Chiefs fan. Arguably the best defensive player in the draft is there for them.

ATG
04-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Actually if you were paying attention you'd know you're wrong. That footage was tape delayed, and when the pick was announced, the crowd were cheering and the guy dressed as a Viking at the front was swinging his hammer around and so on.

Must have been a long tape delay... it looked more like they didn't like the pick and started cheering mildly because they were on TV.

Dr Love
This has got to be a dream for a Chiefs fan. Arguably the best defensive player in the draft is there for them.
They would be total morons to not take him. Of course, the way this draft is going, they'll take David Pollack (which wouldn't be a bad pick).

Riggins
:teach: You mean Boller.

Whoop, my mistake

Epsilon
04-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Must have been a long tape delay... it looked more like they didn't like the pick and started cheering mildly because they were on TV.

They've done it before (the year the Vikings missed their clock). They showed the crowd standing there waiting (after the pick had already been shown live), and when they finally made the pick people started throwing stuff at the screen.

Dr Love
04-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Whoop, my mistake
No problem. It's easy to get young crappy QBs with no one to throw to on defense-first teams that just signed a big name WR confused. Man, it's a bit eerie the similarities of their situations.

avfan#21
04-23-2005, 02:11 PM
if there is a way to mess up a draft, Karl Petersen will find it. Just think Todd Blackledge and Tre'zelle Jenkins. 'nuff said. Saddest time of the year for a Chiefs fan

Brodeur
04-23-2005, 02:11 PM

I liked Johnson as well, but apparently the 'experts' were picking apart his tackling ability. *** Lions!!!!!

Chaos
04-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I liked Johnson as well, but apparently the 'experts' were picking apart his tackling ability. *** Lions!!!!!

He'll miss a tackle here and there(like just about any other defensive player in history), but he's a flat out playmaker.

ObeySteve
04-23-2005, 02:15 PM
How suprising that Trent Green doesn't even think about the possibility of the Chiefs drafting Rodgers. ;)

ATG
04-23-2005, 02:19 PM
Good pick by the Cheifs :clap:

Foppa
04-23-2005, 02:25 PM
YES! All I have to say as a Chiefs fan (and Big XII fan) :clap:

avfan#21
04-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Hey Foppa, did you happen to think in the back of your mind the name Colquitt was going to surface? Great pick, but still, King Karl drafting gives me the willies. Best of luck to DJ, the PT is there if he takes it.

Foppa
04-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey Foppa, did you happen to think in the back of your mind the name Colquitt was going to surface? Great pick, but still, King Karl drafting gives me the willies. Best of luck to DJ, the PT is there if he takes it.

Appears the Chiefs really wanted Davis more than Johnson actually...would have been thrilled with Davis also but just being a Big XII guy, Johnson was whom I really wanted.

And yes I weas getting nervous that Peterson was going to complete botch the pick! Although given our history with punters, Colquitt would not be a bad pick later on :)

Bluenote13
04-23-2005, 02:31 PM
YES! All I have to say as a Chiefs fan (and Big XII fan) :clap:

Yeah, it's a nice looking pick on paper, but it's very odd that he lasted that long, maybe someone knows something we don't :dunno:

ATG
04-23-2005, 02:34 PM
That Kiper best moments flash back was great who did Indy take in that draft(The draft where the Indy GM called Kiper a bum)?