Microsoft to charge users for MSN Messenger

VO #23
09-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Screw Microshaft. (http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0819microtolo.html)

Any good FREE real-time chats out there? What will everyone switch to?It seems like everyone and their dog uses MSN.

sandman441
09-24-2003, 04:04 PM
yahoo messanger has some chat rooms.

evman150*
09-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Where does it say they are going to make people pay for it?

All I read was that they were making people upgrade. And upgrading is free.

:dunno:

Plager05
09-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Most people I know use AOL IM or ICQ, both are better than messenger.

dempsey_k*
09-24-2003, 04:12 PM
AOL instant messenger works just fine.

kenabnrmal
09-24-2003, 04:17 PM
I prefer Yahoo to both MSN and AIM, however this definitely blows.

Dempsey
09-24-2003, 04:19 PM
False info spread alert :teach:

Dr_Chimera*
09-24-2003, 04:40 PM
This is bull crap. I bet 100 bucks this isn't true.

Give me a link on msn.com and then I'll believe it.

Please close this thread.

Big McLargehuge
09-24-2003, 04:45 PM
AIM>all

I tried MSN and deleted it instantly.

VO #23
09-24-2003, 05:06 PM
This is bull crap. I bet 100 bucks this isn't true.

Give me a link on msn.com and then I'll believe it.

Please close this thread.

There was something on CFCN News (CTV affiliate in Calgary) that all existing MSN users would have to subscribe to Messenger using credit cards as they are worried about sexual and financial predators praying on the young and stupid.

I realize that this article says that people only need to upgrade, but the interview with the Director of MSN in the UK suggested otherwise. In fact, he said that MSN was going to stop providing service in Europe, Asia, and Africa altogether and that the countries that still get the service will have to have their users pay for it.

http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/3082551

This article only mentions chat rooms, but the program I watched tonight talked about Messenger as well.

Epoch
09-24-2003, 05:21 PM
They'll start to charge $$. Then it'll go back to being free once they realize no one wants to pay for it.

This is BS.:rant:http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/angryfire.gif!

garry1221
09-24-2003, 05:41 PM
msn WILL NOT make users pay for this, it's absolute bs, they'd lose more $$ doing this and there's no way in hell bill gates essentially rips a hole in his own pocket and lets the $$ start falling through, he'd be absolutely stupid, there's been no report on msn about it, hell, i never even got an email from them saying anything of the sort, this is a bs story, i also heard a rumor that the chatrooms were gonna be closed as well, and to that i said the same thing i just said, aint gonna happen, complete bs

Epoch
09-24-2003, 05:48 PM
MSN will just hurt their product.

Making someone pay for messenger, a program used to chat, when there are tons of other ones out there for free? That is just stupid.

Ok so they charge us for Messenger, i'll go back to using ICQ, that uh-oh noise annoys me but hey at least i don't have to pay for it.

Exactly!

#37-#93-#27*
09-24-2003, 05:48 PM
I don't get it. Why would they do this when they already have that MSN thing.

Vyacheslav
09-24-2003, 06:23 PM
AIM is the best.

I hate when people forward messages on yahoo that say "If you don't forward this message to everyone on your buddy list, yahoo will start charging/delete your account."

XX
09-24-2003, 07:12 PM
AIM by far, is the best.

I couldnt see microsoft charging for this... I mean its one more way to deliver ads to you and spy.

guinness
09-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Where in the article does it mention charging for MSN messenger, I expect hockey-related FUD here, but not computer-related FUD.

VO #23
09-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Where in the article does it mention charging for MSN messenger, I expect hockey-related FUD here, but not computer-related FUD.

:rolleyes:

Read the whole thread, I had another post that had a better link and described an item I saw on the local news tonight.

Everyone's a comedian though I guess.

#37-#93-#27*
09-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Hey #37-#93-#27, shouldn't it be Rucinsky at the end of that instead of Kovalev? Nedved was excited that he is getting his Czech line back, the line that made Hlavac into a somewhat mini-star...Hlavac-Ned-Ruc..

anyhow, carry on.
Nah, Rucinsky clicked with Lindros. Had something like 12 points in 8 games the short time he was here.

Also Kovalev is a better fit for that line. So far Hlavac, Kovy and Nedved have contributed to a goal in each preseason game they've played, and prior to tonights game, each had 6 points. Kovalev and Nedved with 3 goals.

guinness
09-24-2003, 08:34 PM
:rolleyes:

Read the whole thread, I had another post that had a better link and described an item I saw on the local news tonight.

Everyone's a comedian though I guess.

Doesn't really matter, believe me, if MS was really going to charge for MSN Messenger. it would be all over sites like Neowin, Slashdot, CNN, etc. not the back pages of a hockey board. You're just confusing the MSN chat rooms with the Messenger program, there is a difference.

Spiffy
09-25-2003, 06:08 AM
Hotmail is probably going to be a all-pay service in one or two-years.

guinness
09-25-2003, 06:12 AM
Hotmail is probably going to be a all-pay service in one or two-years.

yeah, but on the brightside, it wouls stop most of the spam.Yahoo has better mail anyway.

Spiffy
09-25-2003, 08:54 AM
yeah, but on the brightside, it wouls stop most of the spam.Yahoo has better mail anyway. who cares, only spam lovers and microsoft employees are stupid enough to use hotmail anyway, right? :D