Rate your teams NFL draft

MontrealCruiser_83*
04-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Now that it's all said and done.

Titans

1st round: Adam "Pac-Man" Jones CB
I was hoping for Williams. Figured we could of gotten a decent CB with our 2nd (J. Miller cough cough). I liked him the best out of the 3 CB's. Rogers being 24 by seasons start didn't impress me and Rolle is going to be a safety within two years. Could of been better but could of been worse. B+

2nd round: Michael Roos OT
This one hurt. Stupid reach when better players were available. Considering the pick was an early 2nd they should of still been operating under the BPA mindset (Roos wasn't even the 7th best available tackle). D-

3rd round: Courtney Roby WR
Meh. Who knows. The kid runs 4.3 but doesn't play it. A little weak considering better WR's were available and this guy wasn't slated to go until the 5th. C

3rd round: Brandon Jones WR
He couldn't even start in college. 6'1 210 WR that easily gets knocked off his route. Not the greatest of choices either. C-

4th round: Vincent Fuller S
I like this pick. He seems to be a playmaker and you can never have enough of those in your defensive backfield. B

4th round: David Stewart OT
O-lineman never hurt. A bit of a reach but atleast you can afford to wrong with a 4th rounder. C

4th round: Roydell Williams WR
He probably has the most potential out of the 3 WR's picked. Seems like an all around solid target. Could of done with him and one of Gibson/Henry instead of the turd/third rounders. B

5th round: Damien Nash RB
The GM missed out on Barber, Jacobs, and Fason a round earlier. :shakehead Instead we settle for this piece of trash. D-

5th round: Daniel Loper OT
Are they aware that only two tackles play at one time? They draft 3 in a draft where we needed to address many needs... not only two needs with many selections (3 Wr's and 3 OT's). D+

6th round: Bo Schaife TE
Whatever. C

7th round: Reynaldo Hill CB
Has decent potential for such a late pick. C+

Overall: C
Not the draft they needed. Wasn't awful but quite a few questionable picks.

Anthony*
04-24-2005, 08:35 PM
ill post my reply in 3-5 years

Bird Law
04-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Giants

2nd Round - Corey Webster (CB): Jeeze, who thought he'd still be on the board? Would've been a top 15 selection last year if he had entered the draft. Fell a bit this year with injury and the fact that he's a graduating senior. This kid is the real deal and is a freaking absolute steal in the 2nd round.

A

3rd Round - Justin Tuck (DE): The Giants have absolutely no depth at this position behind their starters. Tuck is a solid pick at this time and probably could've been taken a bit higher then his actual position also. Great pick for the 3rd round.

B+

4th Round - Brandon Jacobs (RB): I hear he was pretty good for what he was expected to do in college. Should be a solid short yardage guy in the NFL which is exactly what the Giants need. Solid pick again.

B-/C+

6th Round - Eric Moore (DE): Again, this was a pick for depth which the Giants need badly. He had a solid year even though he had some nagging injuries. For this later round, he's a great pick up and will be a solid solid guy to have around for depth.

C

The Giants overall draft was very solid, despite having only 4 total picks. They really need to sign some more free agents and they'll have a pretty solid team, hopefully. But I don't think you could really ask for much more in terms of talent and potential with only 4 picks. The pick of Webster made my day completely...

B+

PredsFan77*
04-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Titans

1st round: Adam "Pac-Man" Jones CB
A+

2nd round: Michael Roos OT
A+

3rd round: Courtney Roby WR
A+

3rd round: Brandon Jones WR
A+

4th round: Vincent Fuller S
A+

4th round: David Stewart OT
A+

4th round: Roydell Williams WR
A++

A+

5th round: Daniel Loper OT
A+

6th round: Bo Schaife TE
A+++

7th round: Reynaldo Hill CB
A++

Overall: A+
Norm Chow is no Steve Spurrier

Dr Love
04-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Norm Chow is no Steve Spurrier
That's correct. Spurrier is a head coach, Chow isn't.

Wild Thing
04-24-2005, 09:19 PM
ill post my reply in 3-5 years

And I thought I was a slow typist!

Big McLargehuge
04-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Steelers- B+

1.30 Heath Miller, TE, Virginia- I love the guy. I don't care what any other Steeler fan says, we haven't utilized the TE position since Eric Green left because we haven't had a capable pass catcher since Eric Green. Miller will be a huge part of this offense. Before his injury I had him rated in the top 10 and I still feel he is a top 10 talent. That injury may be a blessing for the Steelers since there is no way in hell he should have been available that late. Not only is Miller a capable receiving tight end he's as close to a sure thing as possible. If you throw the ball anywhere near him odds are he'll catch it. He has the best hands of anyone in the draft. A+
2.62 Bryant McFadden, CB, Florida State- Seems like yesterday every mock on the planet had us taking him in the first. Can't complain when you still get him...just 32 picks later. A freak physically he was an underachiever, but then again who has lived up to their potential at Florida State in recent years? B+
3.93 Trai Essex, OT, Northwestern- A bit of a reach but not as much as some people are making it out to be. A physical specimen he is an underachiever. He has the talent of an late first/second round player but he never played up to that level. C
4.131 Fred Gibson, WR, Georgia- The Steelers have had very good luck when they tap the Bulldogs. Gibson is a Steelers style receiver who, like McFadden and Essex, didn't live up to his potential in college. He's a first round talent but has a questionable work ethic. I became enamored with him during the Senior Bowl where it looked like Gibson would go late first/early second but a fairly poor combine knocked him down quite a bit. I still had him ranked fairly highly on my list of receivers and I love him in the fourth. B+
5.166 Rian Wallace, ILB, Temple- Not so much a fan of this one. Not a bad pick by any means but I'm just not a fan of Wallace. He really could have used another year in college. C-
6.204 Uikelotu Kemeoatu, OG, Utah- I've seen alot of Kemoeatu and I absolutely love the guy. Plays with a real intense passion(as shown by two suspensions for kicking opponents). I had him as a third rounder so I absolutely love him coming at the end of the sixth. Earns bonus points for having only 6 consonants in his entire name. A+
7.228 Shaun Nua, DE, BYU- The Steelers brought him in to interview him just 10 days ago and they obviously heard something they really liked...but besides a good interview I can't see why he was drafted period. I follow the Mountain West closer than any other conference but Nua never stood out as a guy who would be anything more than a special teamer in the NFL. Obviously in the seventh round you're not drafting for stars but I still don't like the pick. D-
7.244 Noah Herron, HB, Northwestern- The Steelers return to the Wildcats and pick a guy who I like, but is going to be fighting an uphill battle to make the team. With Bettis, Staley, Haynes, and Parker all coming off of solid seasons I don't see Herron being more than a practice squad player this season unless an injury forces his way onto the roster. That may not be a bad thing though as Herron needs to bulk up. If Herron is able to bulk up he could be a very solid player down the road. He is a Steelers style running back though, he just doesn't have the bulk to play that way in the NFL. B

TVanek26*
04-24-2005, 09:35 PM
ROUND 2:SOME WR WHO WILL BE A #3 AT BEST
F

ROUND 3:A LIMITED UPSIDE TE WHO IS A BELOW AVERAGE BLOCKER AND RECEIVER
F

ROUND 4:A CENTER WHO HAS LIMITED TOOLS
F

ROUND 5:A 5'8 CORNER
F

ROUND 6:A CRAPPY GUARD
F

ROUND 7:A RB WHO HAS NEVER BEEN A FEATURE BACK
F

OVERALL:F

It will now be 6 straight years and no playoffs.Donahoe you rule!

Foppa
04-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Kansas City:

First Round
#15 - OLB Derrick Johnson: What can I say? I was thrilled. Detractors like to point out that he needs to be more aggressive and runs around a lot of plays. But all he is a guy who makes big plays with tremendous athletic ability. He addresses an area of huge need for KC (Bell was a great addition but Barber is hurt right now and Fujita and Bell himself aren't the definition of durable). And he was a great value pick. He'll start right away imo and be among the rookie tackle leaders, which will be somewhat ironic considering his detractors say he doesn't tackle enough.
Grade: A

Second Round
#47 - CB Patrick Surtain: I'm cheating with this one since we didn't have a second round pick because of this deal. But Surtain is a Top 10, All-Pro corner who's on the right side of 30 still. Out current CB's are Warfield, McCleon and Battle. The big 3 CB prospects were long gone by the Chiefs first round pick. And the 2nd round featured such luminary prospects at CB like Nick Collins and Routt. If you do the math, this was a no brainer.
Grade: A

Third Round
#99 - P Dustin Colquitt: Yes, our history of punters recently has been horrific. Yes, a good punter will help out a defense. Yes our defense needs help. Yes, Colquitt was the best punter prospect around. No, you don't take a punter with a third round draft pick.
Grade: D

Fourth Round
#116 - WR Craphonso Thorpe: The Chiefs two best receivers are on the wrong side of 30. And while Eddie Kennison is a highly underrated player imo...Johnnie Morton could be cut tomorrow and I would not shed a tear. Thorpe was better his sophomore and junior years but he's lanky and has skills. Probably won't make a big impact this year but he's a pretty solid value pick here.
Grade: B-

Rest of draft
Are you kidding me? The six guys the Chiefs picked the rest of the draft are all pretty much guys I have no business trying to analyze. I've seen QB James Killian play and he put up gaudy numbers for Tulsa, but honestly I don't expect him to amount to crap at the next level. OLB James Grigsby and CB Alphonso Hodge seem to be guys who could surprise at some point with natural skills and energy but they are projects. None of these guys seem to be great values or known names, mostly a collection of guys you'd expect the scouting department basically told the GM and coach could be players someday.
Grade: C- (more out of my ignorance than anything right now).

Overall: Well depends on if you get to count Surtain or not. With Surtain's value added in, I'd give us a solid B to B+. I'd drop us down to a C to C+. Not a ton to get thrilled about after Johnson, right now at least. We'll see how things pan out.

Foppa
04-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Now that it's all said and done.
The GM missed out on Barber, Jacobs, and Fason a round earlier. :shakehead Instead we settle for this piece of trash. D-

I'd have to disagree with your harsh words here. I'm a Jayhawk alum and Nash started for our rivals at Missouri. However, he's a talent...nice speed and size combo. Don't write him off.

sarge88
04-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Since I'm a Pats fan and Belichick and Pioli did the drafting, I'll give it an "A" until I have a reason not to.

JCD
04-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Vikings

1-7: Troy Williamson. Arguably their worst pick of their day. Was typically graded only the 4th best WR in the draft. Perhaps they reached due to his speed. Although this addresses a major need and he does give them a big-play threat, this was terrible value for this pick. Furthermore, Kelly Campbell and Travis Taylor supply long-ball threats (albeit their only threat), so the need for a field stretcher was not even a glarring one. Mike Williams's least production college SEASON produced more TDs than Williamson's CAREER and nearly as many yards. If the Vikes were not sold on Williams, they could have traded down SEVERAL picks and still ended up with Williamson or Clayton.

1-18: Erasmus James. Good value and a need pick. A productive edge rusher, albeit one with a penchant for injuries who didn't grade-out all that well in his measuables. Good character. Vikes are loaded with LDE types, but have only situational Johnstone as a RDE player. Vikes have a deep rotation (Mixon, Scott, Udeze, Johnstone), so they can platoon James in while he takes a year building up his frame. Not likely to be a full-time starter until late or next season, but will give the Vikes a ferocious front-4 in the very near future.

2-49: Marcus Johnson. A mauling street fighter of a linemen. Fits in great with overall mentality of the Vike's offensive line. Will immediately compete with Goldberg to start inside, has the inside track to win it. Likely means the end of the line for stallwart and underappreciated David Dixon, who may retire after a quietly stellar career (Dixon isn't a Hall of Famer, but was still one of the better guards of his generation). Vikes offensive line is set.

3-80: Dustin Fox. Not a reach, but not a great value either. Can play CB and Safety. Another quality character. Doesn't have the size to play in the box. Will push Offord for the primary back-up role. Replaces Russell.

4-112: Ciatrick Fason. Best player available, great value. Will have a tough time getting touches this year unless the Vikes trade away Bennett or Smith. Can push Moe Williams for the short-yardage role. Offers little short-term, but with Moe Williams, Bennett and Smith Free Agents after this season (and Smith's drug habit), may be starting next year. Vikes wanted him bad enough to trade up. Good investment, but must be patient for results. Likely replaces Larry Ned as ST Maven for this year.

6-191: C.J. Mosley. Great value this late in the draft. Good chance of making the roster as the 3rd/4th tackle. Versatile, fairly athletic and a good character. Replaces underachieving Steve Martin.

7-219: Adrian Ward. I know absolutely nothing about this guy, nor can I find him in any of the previews. Doesn't bode well. Vikes are set at CB with Winfield-Smoot-Williams-Irvin (Irvin might swing to safety) and at S with Chavous-Sharper-Offord-Fox. Best-case scenario, competes with the practice squad hopefuls to usurp Ralph Brown as the 5th CB.

Overall: B+

Other than the Williamson pick, they got fantastic value at every pick. All but their 7th rounder are likely to make what is turning out to be a talent-laden roster, although none project to be starters. Failing to get full value out of the Williamson pick puts a ceiling on the grade. Looking at just picks after the 7th, they would be at the head of the class. Even before the draft, the Vikes had a roster ready to compete on opening day. Adding Williamson, James and Johnson rounds it out to a potentially potent collection. Fason, Fox and Mosley will have to play STs and/or contribute situationally to add much in 2005, but are good long-term additions.

Unfinished Business
Vikes could look at more of a pure in-the-box SS to push Irvin for the 8th DB spot. Chavous, Sharper and Fox are more FS types while Offord is a FA after this season. Hill has shown little to date as the 3rd QB, so bringing in another arm to compete is likely. The most glarring needs are on Special Teams. Vikings were hoping to see Nugent available in the 2nd, now will have to audition UDFAs or settle on one of the cast-off vets. Neither are very enticing scenarios. A big leg to push Bennett as the punter is also likely.

Bottom Line

Vikes have had 2 impressive off-seasons in a row and are poised to make some noise in the NFC. The door is open for them to rule the NFC North this season, Tice has no excuse not too. Vikes look stacked with D-linemen and DBs, are much-improved on LB while the Moss-less offense still boasts great depth at both RB and WR to go with an great offensive line and TE set. Special Teams (specifically the kicking game) lags well behind and will take some considerable luck to move out of the bottom-10. Coaching is a HUGE question mark as Tice is weak on X's and O's and has a newbie unknown as his Offensive Coordinator, Cottrell brings experience and expectations but short of results. One thing is for certain, if the Vikes don't product a double-digit win season, Tice will not be a head coach in 2006.

sarge88
04-24-2005, 09:48 PM
ROUND 2:SOME WR WHO WILL BE A #3 AT BEST
F

ROUND 3:A LIMITED UPSIDE TE WHO IS A BELOW AVERAGE BLOCKER AND RECEIVER
F

ROUND 4:A CENTER WHO HAS LIMITED TOOLS
F

ROUND 5:A 5'8 CORNER
F

ROUND 6:A CRAPPY GUARD
F

ROUND 7:A RB WHO HAS NEVER BEEN A FEATURE BACK
F

OVERALL:F

It will now be 6 straight years and no playoffs.Donahoe you rule!

Could be worse. They could have traded a first rounder for a journeyman TE and then taken a kicker in the 2nd round.

King_Brown
04-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Troy Williamson is a great pick, and he will not be a bust. If you think Kelly Campbell and Travis Taylor bring anything to even replace Randy Moss's right shoe you must be joking.

Mike Williams is a big possesion receiver, Marcus Robinson is the same. Williamson will be shot out of the slot and go straight downfield and be a 20-30 or home run everytime. He will never be Randy Moss, but he brings the same abilities and size along with the speed. Smart pick by the Vikings.

GoM
04-24-2005, 10:34 PM
So, how'd the Broncos do?

:)

Hockeyfan02
04-24-2005, 11:30 PM
1st round: Alex Smith QB: A mystery until the very end, but I think they made the right move. I wanted Edwards, but they need a QB to rebuild. At first I liked Rodgers over Smith, but the more I read about the two, I started to shift towards Smith. The guy is intellegent and is a mobile QB so he's not a Bledsoe or Warner who will sit there and get drilled. Hopefully the face of the franchise for the next 10-15 years. Grade: A

2nd round: David Baas G/C: Michigan guy is a plus in my books and their o-lineman have transfered well to the NFL like Runyan and Jansen. Performed well at both positions in college and shores up G which with Kosier gone is a hole to be filled. Will probably compete with Heittman for a spot. Could replace Newberry when he retires. Pool, Bullocks, and Shaun Cody could have been had, but Nolan was focusing on the offense. Grade: B

3rd round: Frank Gore RB: Good potential, but questions of durability. If he can stay healthy, he could become the starter in the next 2-3 seasons. Probably wont have much of an impact this year. I would have gone with another position or another back. Grade: C-

Adam Snyder G: Very good size. Pluses are that he's a hardworker and plays with a mean streak. Not much speed for the position though. Grade: B

5th round: Ronald Fields DT: Good size for his position but like Snyder isnt fast for his position. Plus is strength and he can knock o-lineman back on their heels as stated in one scouting report. Would have rather gone with this position higher, BY isnt getting any younger. B-

Rasheed Marshall WR: A project moving from QB to WR. Sounds athletic, but is going to take time to learn the position. I don't like project picks, would rather have a guy who is natural at the position. C-

6th round: Derrick Johnson CB: Quick, but small and not durable. Sounds like he can make big plays but gives them up also. Depth pick. B-

7th round: Daven Holley CB: Quick, but hasn't played the position very long. Gives up big plays. Probably a special teams guy. D

Marcus Maxwell WR: Havent been able to find anything about him. 6'4 with 4.5 speed though. Not much production in college. C because I dont know much about him.

Patrick Estes TE: Like Maxwell can't find anything about him except his size. Not fast, but big. Probably just a blocking TE. C-

Billy Bajema TE: Opposite of Maxwell. Scouting report says he has good hands, but doesnt have the strength yet to be a good blocker. Could be a #2 TE. I like TEs who can catch. B-

Overall: B. Got the QB for the future and some help for the o-line. More depth at WR and CB. Didn't address the weakness at safety or get depth for the d-line which was injury depleted last season. I don't like the pick of Gore or the drafting of 2 TEs. Were gonna suck again next year, but I think Nolan with the signings of Jennings and Marques Douglas and the draft of Smith is heading in the right direction. If Barlow does not turn improve from last season, I would like to see them take a RB in the first round next year. Rashuan Woods is going to have to make plays this year or instead of RB they may be looking at WR next season.

FlyersGuy69
04-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Dallas Cowboys - A

Enoch
04-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Colquit will be great for the Jets. I love the pick, and frankly after watching the Jets punt last year, you should be ecstatic you got a guy that can CHANGE the game consistently on each punt. Your going to be looking at much better field position defensively on a very consistent basis. Just because punting isn't a glamour position does not mean it is not extremely important. Be happy, the kid can flat out kick.

Vagrant
04-24-2005, 11:46 PM
3rd round: Frank Gore RB: Good potential, but questions of durability. If he can stay healthy, he could become the starter in the next 2-3 seasons. Probably wont have much of an impact this year. I would have gone with another position or another back. Grade: C-

Trust me, being from North Carolina i'm not a Miami fan at all. However, Frank Gore is probably one of the most talented backs taken today. His moves are simply wonderful, but his problem has always been staying healthy. If his history of injuries are just a fluke, San Fran just got a 1st round talent in the 3rd round. I'd say it's more of a B+ or A- type pick.

BrooklynCanuck
04-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Cincinnati Bengals

1 David Pollack - A player who got the most out of his potential in college, with not much room for growth. A player who might have to switch positions. He was fantastic at Georgia, but not exactly what you want just out of the top half of the first round. C-

2 Odell Thurman - Huge potential. Hard hitter, with a very physical style. We needed run defense to supplement the 26th run stopping unit in the league. He had some issues in college and he basically failed the wunderlic, but I trust Marvin Lewis' eye for linebackers. He should play right away at MLB. A

3 Chris Henry - Randy Moss lite. He's 6'4", runs like a deer, uses his body well to get separation, but is a complete psycho. If Marvin Lewis can control him he's as valuable as most of the first round recevers. If not, it's a 3rd just cut him and be done with it. A-

4 Eric Ghiaciuc - We needed a center badly. Supposedly Ghiaciuc tested well at the combine and is very cerebral. He played against average competition at Central Michigan, which is my only worry. B

5 Adam Kieft - 6'7" tackles don't come around every day. He wasn't a need player, but obviously scouts saw something they liked when they were up scouting Ghiaciuc. This pick isnt so bad on its face, but when you consider that defensive tackle was perhaps our biggest need and Anttaj Hawthorne was still available here it really stinks. A pure luxury pick when we had a need player with good value available is a bad pick. D-

6 Tab Perry - A big WR from UCLA who is an adept return man. He probably doesn't fit into the passing game for a while, but he'll have time to develop while he plays on special teams. B

7 Jonathan Fanene - I've never heard of this guy, but he's a big DE and we really need defensive line help. B

Overall - Other than Pollack there wasn't any draftee that I didn't like. There were some occasions when I'd have like to see Anttaj Hawthorne, Anthony Bryant, or C.J. Mosely taken to address our DT needs; but perhaps that signals the success of Matthias Askew as much as anything else. We addressed needs at C, LB and WR, but failed to do so at SS or DT. B-

PredsFan77*
04-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Colquit will be great for the Jets. I love the pick, and frankly after watching the Jets punt last year, you should be ecstatic you got a guy that can CHANGE the game consistently on each punt. Your going to be looking at much better field position defensively on a very consistent basis. Just because punting isn't a glamour position does not mean it is not extremely important. Be happy, the kid can flat out kick.

just keep him away from the booze.

PredsFan77*
04-25-2005, 12:19 AM
Troy Williamson is a great pick, and he will not be a bust. If you think Kelly Campbell and Travis Taylor bring anything to even replace Randy Moss's right shoe you must be joking.

Mike Williams is a big possesion receiver, Marcus Robinson is the same. Williamson will be shot out of the slot and go straight downfield and be a 20-30 or home run everytime. He will never be Randy Moss, but he brings the same abilities and size along with the speed. Smart pick by the Vikings.

Troy is my boy...he's got the goods to make quite an impact in the NFL.

chris_dub
04-25-2005, 12:37 AM
FALCONS

Round 1:
Roddy White (6-1, 201) - WR - Alabama-Birmingham
Honestly, this was a surprise pick. I expected a DE in the first round, possibly Shaun Cody, who went about 7 picks later. We could've addressed some other positions, but I'm not upset with the pick. I truly believe that this was a value pick over a need pick. McKay & Company saw White drop to them & jump at it. He'll provide Vick with a big physical target on the field, something that he needs. With Price, D.White, Crump, Jenkins, Finn, & R.White, the receiving core is now looking half decent. Happy with the pick.

Round 2:
Jonathan Babineaux (6-2, 281) - DT - Iowa
Good pick. Jasper is gone & Johnson is getting up there, the line is aging. Coleman is a stud on the line, but isn't gonna last forever. Jonathan adds some much needed depth to a depleted position. Defensive line was probably our biggest need coming into the draft, and we added a strong, physical presence with Jon. Good pick.

Round 3:
Jordan Beck (6-2, 231) - ILB - California State Polytechnic
Depth pick. Behind defensive line, LB is a position that we need to add depth at. With the loss of Draft, there was nobody filling in behind Hart. Beck brings speed & concentration to backup Hart & provide coverage on special teams.

Round 4:
Chauncey Davis (6-1, 258) - DE - Florida State
Good pick. With Smith getting up there in years, depth at the DE position was needed. And Davis brings it. He's a strong & intimidating presence on the line & will most likely success Smith on the line. With Davis, Babineaux, Coleman & Kerney on the line, the future is lookin bright.

Round 5:
Michael Boley (6-2, 228) - OLB - Southern Mississippi
Another depth pick. Boley should provide some competition to DMo & Reese for the starting LB job along Hart & Brook. I don't expect him to beat out DMo or Reese, so he'll be a ST player mostly. He should also push DMo & Reese to step up their games. I would like to see him get a little bigger though.

Frank Omiyale (6-4, 310) - OT - Tennessee Tech
Textbook Atlanta drafting. Gibbs doesn't like to spend high picks on linemen. They like to nab a couple in the later rounds, and mold them into starters. It's worked before, so I don't see why it can't again. Frank is a big force on the line. If he has a good training camp, he should find himself backing up the starters & possibly providing Vick with some protection in the future.

Round 6:
Deandra Cobb (5-10, 196) - RB - Michigan State
Really happy with this pick. Dunn is more than likely gone next year, so we need to pick up somebody to take over for him. Cobb is fast as hell. He ran the 40 in the same time as Ronnie Brown. Not only will he take over for Dunn, but Rossum on kick returns. He was unreal in college as a return man, his explosiveness & quick moves are a welcome addition in the 6th round. Great pick.

Round 7:
Darrell Shropshire (6-2, 301) - DT - South Carolina
Another depth pick. Him & Babineaux will battle it out in training camp, but I think he'll just be a backup at most on the depth chart. He has good speed off the line, but his hands aren't the best. Merely a depth pick.

JCD
04-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Troy Williamson is a great pick, and he will not be a bust.

I wouldn't guarentee anything. The last South Carolina WR is looking so good. Koren Robinson was a raw speedster who graded out better on measurables than he did production. Not saying that Williamson will be a bust, but also not saying that he won't be.

If you think Kelly Campbell and Travis Taylor bring anything to even replace Randy Moss's right shoe you must be joking.

Nobody will ever replace Moss. Nowhere did I say they would.

I said that they both bring a longball. That is ALL they bring. Taylor and Campbell are 1-dimension 'go' route runners. Speed is the only thing they have. Williamson was not needed to provide a deepball.

Mike Williams is a big possesion receiver

Exactly. A reliable go-to receiver who can make the tough catches along the sidelines and in traffic. The short-route receiver. PRECISELY what the Vikings needed. People always talk about Moss' speed, but lost in that was his elite hands and body control. Moss didn't just make catchs 30-yards downfield, he made the tough catches to convert 3rd downs and in the phonebooth. That was what made him the best in the game, he did it all.

Today, the Vikes don't have a single reliable possession receiver on the team. Even including TEs. Mike Williams would have filled a void and brought something NEW to the team, Williamson does not. We already had deep threats.

Marcus Robinson is the same.

No, he is not. Robinson is not a possession receiver. Never was, never will be. He runs sloppy routes, has so-so hands and poor body control. He does two things well: jump and run. Watch him play, he runs two routes effectively: the fade and the jumpball. That is about all the Vikes used him for as well. When Chicago tried to make him into a go-to possession guy, it was a dismal failure.

The closest thing the Vikes have to a possession guy is Nate Burleson. Nate makes too many drops on clutch catches and doesn't have the size to compete in close.

Williamson will be shot out of the slot and go straight downfield and be a 20-30 or home run everytime.

You described precisely what Kelly Campbell, Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson do. Shoot out and go strait downfield.

He will never be Randy Moss, but he brings the same abilities and size along with the speed.

But he doesn't. Moss was a ballerina as well as a burner. He could jump, make the tough catch and still land with his feet inbounds ala Cris Carter. He also made the tough/impossible catches when the team needed them. Williamson is described as a go runner only who is raw. Moss was similar as a rookie, but people forget that the Vikes still had Cris Carter as their go-to guy that year. The team today lacks a go-to guy. We don't have a Cris Carter to rely on while Williamson develops. We can only hope that we can distribute the ball enough to get by.

When your biggest need is a clutch go-to possession receiver, why not draft a guy who has that as his strengths. Williams would have made a more immediate impact and good chance he would have made a bigger impact down the road. He was more productive in a season that Williamson was in 3.

Smart pick by the Vikings.

Bad pick. Williamson was not the 7th best player in this draft. Even if the Vikes targeted him as 'their guy', they should have traded down. It was a reach and one that didn't even fill need.

acr*
04-25-2005, 11:00 AM
1.Logan Mankins, OL-Very good pick, this guy is an old school lineman who plays nasty, just the Belichick type. We had some big holes in the line, so this was a great pick. A

3.Ellis Hobbs III, S-It's never bad to have some more depth in the secondary, this guy is small, but fast and can play special teams. He'll be a good player in this system. B-

3.Nick Kaczur, OL-A big guy, 6'4", 319. Should be a good guard for us, and a good compliment to Mankins in our future O-Line. The line was our biggest need going in, and we did very well. B+

4.James Sanders, S-Don't know much about this guy, the scouting report says he has great football intelligence, which means he's probably a Belichick guy, and they always do well here. Still, we have a lot of secondary plaers and should be going for Linebackers. C

5.Ryan Claridge, OLB-This guy looks very versitile and could be a big part of the defense in a few years. The reports are saying he looks very athletic, but has had some injury issues. B+

7.Matt Cassel, QB-We picked Matt Leinart's backup...I don't know if this guy even played a snap this year. He's played Tight End and Wide Receiver when he was a backup. I doubt he'll ever see action as a Patriot, a la Kliff Kingsbury. D

7.Andy Stokes, TE. I know nothing about this guy. Mr. Irrelevent indeed. We have plenty of tight ends already. D

Overall:B+. Filled some needs by getting two good O-Line prospects, a promising linebacker, and a few "Belichick-types", which is never a bad thing.

Dr Love
04-25-2005, 11:11 AM
FYI: Colquitt went to the Chiefs.

Roughneck
04-25-2005, 11:42 AM
7.Matt Cassel, QB-We picked Matt Leinart's backup...I don't know if this guy even played a snap this year. He's played Tight End and Wide Receiver when he was a backup. I doubt he'll ever see action as a Patriot, a la Kliff Kingsbury. D

Wasn't he the third string USC quarterback?

Jared Ramsden
04-25-2005, 11:44 AM
I thought the teams that had the best drafts were Arizona, Minnesota and Dallas....Rolle and Green are instant upgrades for the Cardinals secondary, Arrington was probably the next best back after the big 3 went, Blackstock was a steal in the 3rd, and so was Elton Brown in the 4th. Getting Lance Mitchell on the second day was of good value too......

For Detroit and San Diego overall, I was pretty pleased with how things unfolded.....

The Lions really did surprise the hell out of me by taking Mike Williams, but he clearly was the best available player at #10. I was think either Derrick Johnson or a trade back, but Williams was easily the best value at #10. I've heard people criticize this pick, but what's to criticize? The Lions did not have any glaring need positions, so they had the luxury to go BPA......Rogers, Roy and Mike Williams will torment defenses.......I was really hoping for a trade up with the 2nd rounder to get Brodney Pool, and from the sounds of it they were really close to making a deal with the Browns to get him........Shaun Cody was a good pick though, adding some versatility to the line and some pass rush ability.....Stanley Wilson seems more like a project at the point in time, but with his speed, he should at the least be effective on special teams, and the Lions can be patient with him because of their depth at corner.....With the trade to move to the 5th round, I was certain the Lions were going to take McPherson, but obviously they prefered Orlovsky. He seems like the perfect guy to have as a #3 QB. Smart, Intelligent and good Intangibles.....Swancutt and Goddard were both great value picks in the 6th round, and both should help give the Lions more of a pass rush.....Only dissapointment was not getting free safety help. Other than that, I'd give the Lions a B+......

I thought Mike Williams was going to make it to SD at #12, but when he went to the Lions, it was pretty certain that is was either going to be Merriman or Ware, and I am quite happy with the Merriman selection. He should add a pass rushing pressence and fit in nicely in the 3-4.....The Falcons snatched Roddy White right before the Chargers which was dissapointing, but Luis Castillo was a smart pick considering the lack of depth behind Jamal Williams. Another good fit for the 3-4.....I like the Vincent Jackson pick, but I would have prefered the Chargers take more of a vertical threat. But Jackson's size should make him a factor, especially in the red zone.....Sproles fills the return man vacancy, and maybe he will have a 3rd down role now and then.....Britt was a good value pick, if he's healthy, and Sims and Mruczkowkski both add depth to the O-Line......Like with Detroit, I would have liked to see a safety selected, but still a solid draft.....I give them an A-......

King_Brown
04-25-2005, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't guarentee anything. The last South Carolina WR is looking so good. Koren Robinson was a raw speedster who graded out better on measurables than he did production. Not saying that Williamson will be a bust, but also not saying that he won't be.

Nobody will ever replace Moss. Nowhere did I say they would.

I said that they both bring a longball. That is ALL they bring. Taylor and Campbell are 1-dimension 'go' route runners. Speed is the only thing they have. Williamson was not needed to provide a deepball.

Exactly. A reliable go-to receiver who can make the tough catches along the sidelines and in traffic. The short-route receiver. PRECISELY what the Vikings needed. People always talk about Moss' speed, but lost in that was his elite hands and body control. Moss didn't just make catchs 30-yards downfield, he made the tough catches to convert 3rd downs and in the phonebooth. That was what made him the best in the game, he did it all.

Today, the Vikes don't have a single reliable possession receiver on the team. Even including TEs. Mike Williams would have filled a void and brought something NEW to the team, Williamson does not. We already had deep threats.

No, he is not. Robinson is not a possession receiver. Never was, never will be. He runs sloppy routes, has so-so hands and poor body control. He does two things well: jump and run. Watch him play, he runs two routes effectively: the fade and the jumpball. That is about all the Vikes used him for as well. When Chicago tried to make him into a go-to possession guy, it was a dismal failure.

The closest thing the Vikes have to a possession guy is Nate Burleson. Nate makes too many drops on clutch catches and doesn't have the size to compete in close.

You described precisely what Kelly Campbell, Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson do. Shoot out and go strait downfield.

But he doesn't. Moss was a ballerina as well as a burner. He could jump, make the tough catch and still land with his feet inbounds ala Cris Carter. He also made the tough/impossible catches when the team needed them. Williamson is described as a go runner only who is raw. Moss was similar as a rookie, but people forget that the Vikes still had Cris Carter as their go-to guy that year. The team today lacks a go-to guy. We don't have a Cris Carter to rely on while Williamson develops. We can only hope that we can distribute the ball enough to get by.

When your biggest need is a clutch go-to possession receiver, why not draft a guy who has that as his strengths. Williams would have made a more immediate impact and good chance he would have made a bigger impact down the road. He was more productive in a season that Williamson was in 3.

Bad pick. Williamson was not the 7th best player in this draft. Even if the Vikes targeted him as 'their guy', they should have traded down. It was a reach and one that didn't even fill need.

Man with that type of thinking the people in Minny should be glad you didn't run the draft. Marcus Robinson is a possesion receiver, hes not a threat downfield. The Vikings are vertical pass game, and Troy Williamson is the perfect fit, hes a burner, and he can catch. Hes got great size also at 6'2. I love the Vikings draft it should get a A for it. There D-Line is so young and strong its going to be a force, they really made there team a contender this year.

My team the Eagles and Rams get A and B+ respectivley. I jumped when we got Alex Barron, Pace will whip him into shape.

I think the top 5 drafts are Dallas, Arizona, Minnesotta, Baltimore, San Fransico, with hounrable mentions to Tampa/Browns/Dolphins.

JCD
04-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Man with that type of thinking the people in Minny should be glad you didn't run the draft.

Other than reaching for Williamson, I loved the draft. Do you believe Williamson to be the 7th best player in the draft? None of the draft guides I read had him anywhere close.

Marcus Robinson is a possesion receiver, hes not a threat downfield.

I have no idea who you have been watching, but it sure wasn't Marcus Robinson. The guy has been a fade route and jumpball player his entire career. That is all he does. With Chicago, with Baltimore and with Minnesota, he was used as a downfield player or (when at the goalline) tossed a high floater where he could jump up and snatch it.

Sorry, but calling Robinson a possession receiver is grossly inaccurate. He doesn't have the hands, the route running or the body control.

The Vikings are vertical pass game

You mean WERE a vertical passing team when they had Moss. Without Moss, they were much more a dink-and-dunk squad who would test deep far more sparingly.

Troy Williamson is the perfect fit, hes a burner, and he can catch. Hes got great size also at 6'2.

Campbell and Taylor are burners as well. What Williamson is not is a clutch go-to receiver who can work the sidelines and make the tough catches. That takes crisp routes, sharp cuts and great body control. Williamson may develop into that, but he is extremely raw in that capacity and no assurances he will ever be strong in that area.

Vikes already had deep threats. Burleson was the closest thing to a possession receiver they had.

I love the Vikings draft it should get a A for it. There D-Line is so young and strong its going to be a force, they really made there team a contender this year.

From the 18th pick on, nobody did better than the Vikings. They got value from every pick, 3 of the 6 could be steals (Fason, Mosley, Johnson).

Reaching on Williamson at 7 brings them down notable. When you pick top-ten, you need to nail it. Especially when you gave up Moss to get the pick. Williamson was not the best player on the board and while he did play a position of need, his skillset isn't what the Vikings lacked at the position. Vikings WR corps lacked a go-to threat with reliable hands. Williamson does not fill that void.

Dr Love
04-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Reaching on Williamson at 7 brings them down notable. When you pick top-ten, you need to nail it. Especially when you gave up Moss to get the pick. Williamson was not the best player on the board and while he did play a position of need, his skillset isn't what the Vikings lacked at the position. Vikings WR corps lacked a go-to threat with reliable hands. Williamson does not fill that void.
Not to mention that in doing so, you let that player fall into the hands of a division rival. Had the Vikings taken Williams, the Lions would not have taken Williamson, almost certainly they would haven taken Derrick Johnson.

USC Trojans
04-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Wasn't he the third string USC quarterback?
He was the backup for both Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart. If you lost the job all three years only to Heisman trophy winners, you can't be all bad. Cassell has the size (6'5") and he's learned from Palmer, Leinart, and Norm Chow, not to mention having practiced for four years against one of the best defenses in college football. He's a student of the game, but we'll see how it translates on the pro field. Could be a project with some decent rewards.

King_Brown
04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Well I love the Williamson pick, and I know he will prove you wrong when he puts up spectacular numbers soon.

JCD
04-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Not to mention that in doing so, you let that player fall into the hands of a division rival. Had the Vikings taken Williams, the Lions would not have taken Williamson, almost certainly they would haven taken Derrick Johnson.

Had the Vikes taken Williams, I would still be dancing over our draft. I don't think drafting Williamson was a mistake in and of itself, just drafting him at 7 most certainly was. Even if the Vikings were not sold on Williams, they had no business reaching on Williamson at 7. They could have traded down to the teens and still likely gotten him. Had the Vikes not nabbed him, decent chance he last to 18 even.

That he wasn't the type of receiver they really needed is just salt in the wounds. It was a reach for a less-than-ideal fit at the expense of a more productive player whose skillset seemed like a better match.

JCD
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Well I love the Williamson pick, and I know he will prove you wrong when he puts up spectacular numbers soon.

I can only hope you are right and that he does. At this stage of the game, he looks like a bad reach.

Enoch
04-25-2005, 02:41 PM
FYI: Colquitt went to the Chiefs.

:p: Must have been thinking of Nugent

MileHigh
04-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Broncos

2nd: Darrent Williams, CB, Oklahoma St.
Not a bad pick. Athletic, good coverage skills but undersized. Will be a good return man which the Broncos despretly needed but this pick just doesn't make sense with Justin Miller still available.
C

3rd A: Karl Paymah, CB, Washington St
Pretty good pick. Did well in workouts and has size and speed two things that you can't teach. Broncos still had other needs that would of been nice to address here but they must of been pretty high on this guy so it's not a horrible selection.
C-

3rd B: Domonique Foxworth, CB, Maryland
Again not a bad selection for a CB but that is three in a row and that is just to many considering they also took 2 in last years draft. Foxworth has good skills but small and not physical enough.
D

3rd C: Maurice Clarett, RB, Ohio St
The more I think about it, I am beginning to come around. Broncos have Bell and Griffen, two speed backs and Clarett is a pounder who will get the tough yards which the Broncos had trouble with last year. May have character issues but remeber he could flat play as a freshmen and if anyone can make him the back he has the potential to be it is the Broncos.
C

6th: Chris Myers, G, Miami (FL)
Like the pick. Gives depth to our depleted line and I think the Broncos have shown that they know how to get the most out of line men. First pick I can't question.
C+

7th: Paul Ernster, K, Northern Arizona
Hate this pick. We have Elam who still has a good 3-4 yrs left and if we needed anything like this it would be a punter.
F

Overall: C. Have seen lower and that is understandable. Three CBs who most likely will hope to be nickel backs and take a chance on a RB who most likely would be there with their 6th round pick. Broncos had a lot of needs depth wise (WR, QB, ILB) but they were not addressed. The reason for the high grade was the pre-draft trade with the Redskins giving the Broncos their first round pick next year (most likely a top 10).

PredsFan77*
04-25-2005, 04:17 PM

Well I would be slacking on my South Carolina football history if I didn't point out that Robinson went to NC State. The last time we had a 1st round pick that was a WR was none other than one Sterling Sharpe.

I would've went Williams over Troy, but you have to be doing something right to lead the SEC in receiving yards especially in Holtz' run first offense.

BiggMac99
04-25-2005, 04:38 PM
1. Carnell "Cadillac" Williams (RB): I like the pick. He wasn't the guy who I want but He still a very good potential and he's the player of the future for the Bucs with Clayton. Only injuries will break his career. (Grade: A)

2. Barrett Ruud (MLB): Not a steal but a very good player for the years to come with the team. I love the pick. My pick at 36 was David Baas but the Niners took him before. (B+)

3. Alex Smith (TE): A steal in my opinion! A very good TE with an awesome pair of hands. He's not the best blocker but we have Becht for the run. (A-)

4. Chris Colmer (OT): I hate this pick. Better players still on the board (D+)

5. Dan Buenning (G): I don't hate this pick but I don't know very much about this guy. (C-)

6. Donte Nicholson (SS): I like this pick, not the best but he works hard and he can be our Safety of the future with Allen. Plus, he plays for a very good football team. (B)

7. Larry Brackins (WR): I LOVE this pick. I see so many highlights video on him and I think he can be a hell of a receiver. He got skills, size and he plays with the intensity. The Mike Williams consolation. The only weakness I saw on this guy is the team with he plays, but he was very good. (B+)

8. Anthony Bryant (DT): Good for the redzone. I don't know very much about this guy instead I know he's very big! (6'3, 336) (C)

9. Rick Razzano (FB): I hate the pick honestly, but one day, Alstott will be gone and I don't very like Cook. He can do the job. (D)

10. Paris Warren (WR): He was good in college, but I don't know why Gruden take another WR. 3rd receiver class here. (C-)

11. Hamza Abdullah (SS): I like him, he can be good like a Backup or on the special team. (C)

12. JR Russell (WR): Another WR who Gruden picks, I don't know very much about him but I hear he can be a good 3rd or 4th receiver. Good size, hometown guy. (C-)

Afterall, I very like the draft who Gruden and Allen make. With a good Support, Cadillac Williams can be a hell of a RB and they choose franchise player in Barrett Ruud and Alex Smith.

Blackjack
04-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Jets

1st - Doug Jolley, TE. Projected: Starting TE
(Acquired in a trade with the Oakland Raders along with a 47th overall and two 6th round picks for the Jets' 26th overall) Hard to say on this one. Bradway claimed that the Jets had Jolley rated higher than any TE in the draft including Miller. Whether that is accurate or not will become evident pretty quickly.

- B

2nd - Mike Nugent, PK. Projected: Starting PK
Again, I'm torn on this one. Yes, Nugent is one of the best kickers to come out of college in the last decade. No, you should never take a kicker this high. But really, who did the Jets pass up to get him? They got their CB. They didn't pass up on a big time NT, they didn't need a WR, QB, or really any other position except safty, and all the top rated safeties were still on the board 2 or 3 rounds later (heck, Shazor didn't even get drafted). I don't know what to say...

- C+

2nd - Justin Miller, CB. Projected: Nickelback, KR, PR, Special Teams
One of the better value picks, IMO, but this one could blow up if the Mr. Miller doesn't display a little more self control. Still, the fact that the Jets were able to get a 1st round calibure CB at the end of the 2nd round is impressive.

- A

3rd - Sione Pouha, NT. Projected: Platoon NT I think this could work out real well for the Jets. DR is 317 lbs. and almost a pro bowler. Putting another 325 lbs. right beside him could work out real well. Still, Pouha wasn't even supposed to get drafted.

- F

4th - Kerry Rhodes, FS. Projected: Backup FS, Special Teams
This one was taken while there were a lot of good safeties on the board. Oddly, the Jets traded up for this pick. He looks like a kid with a lot of raw skills but not a lot of polish. Donnie Henderson (Jets' DC) may have requested him personally. Still, a bit of a reach.

- C

5th - Andre Maddox, SS. Projected: Backup SS, Special Teams
Again, not exactly the guy I wanted. Incedently, the fifth safety the Jets have drafted in the last three years. Hard hitter without elite speed. We'll see.

- C

6th - Cedric Houston, RB. Projected: Practice Squad
It's unlikely that there was anyone on the board that the Jets really wanted. Houston will go to camp and probably not make the team. Power back from what I've heard, I really don't know much about him.

6th - Joel Dreessen, TE. Projected: Backup/Practice Squad
Don't know him but a few Jets fans seem to, and like the pick. Probably a BPA situation. Should provide adequate depth.

- B

7th - Harry Williams, WR. Projected: Practice Squad/Cut
He claims that the Jets got a steal. Whatever, only a few picks from Mr. Insignificant or whatever they call that guy.

- C

Overall
If you think of it as Justin Miller in the 1st round, Doug Jolley in the second, and Mike Nugent in the 3rd, it's a pretty good draft, we just ended up getting the players in a weird way.

- B

Big McLargehuge
04-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Dreessen was a steal in the 6th. I had him rated as a third rounder. He's a Chris Cooley clone but with better intangibles.

JCD
04-26-2005, 06:22 AM
Well I would be slacking on my South Carolina football history if I didn't point out that Robinson went to NC State. The last time we had a 1st round pick that was a WR was none other than one Sterling Sharpe.

I would've went Williams over Troy, but you have to be doing something right to lead the SEC in receiving yards especially in Holtz' run first offense.

My mistake. Still, I am always leary of these guys with great measurables but not great production. Williamson seemed like a big reach to me.

Tiki
04-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Jets (with a little help from Blackjack's post)

Doug Jolley, TE. Projected: Starting TE
(Acquired in a trade with the Oakland Raders along with a 47th overall and two 6th round picks for the Jets' 26th overall) Filled two needs for the Jets. They got a pass catching TE who will more likely be used as an H back in the new offense. Also, the jets claimed they did not like the value of the pick at 26, beliveing they would get second round talent. Why waste first round $$ on the second round talent? A good move cap wise if that was the case.

B+

2nd - Mike Nugent, PK. Projected: Starting PK
Voted MVP by his OSU teamates. 5/6 over 50 lifetime, including a game winning 55 yarder as time expired in 2004. The Jets finished last year one pressure kick away from the AFC title game AND THATS WITH TWO CHANCES!!!! 34 of 55 kickoffs went for touchbacks last year. The jets often would not try a kick over 50 due to Brien's weaker leg. Nugent adds exactly what this team needed in terms of feild position advantge with both Kick off power and field goal range.

A

2nd - Justin Miller, CB. Projected: Nickelback, KR, PR, Special Teams
"One of the better value picks, IMO, but this one could blow up if the Mr. Miller doesn't display a little more self control. Still, the fact that the Jets were able to get a 1st round calibure CB at the end of the 2nd round is impressive." (Blackjack)

Just want to add that it fills the KR need of the jets as well. Overjoyed with this talent at 57. Should Start if Donnie Abraham retires.

A

3rd - Sione Pouha, NT. Projected: Given that Evans now states he may retire (I suspect TB knew about this in advance as DT looked to not be a need on draft day) this pick adds needed depth. Still a reach, but not as bad as it seemed ATM.

C-

4th - Kerry Rhodes, FS. Projected: Backup FS, Special Teams
"This one was taken while there were a lot of good safeties on the board. Oddly, the Jets traded up for this pick. He looks like a kid with a lot of raw skills but not a lot of polish. Donnie Henderson (Jets' DC) may have requested him personally. Still, a bit of a reach." (Blackjack) Nothing for me to add there. Agree with Blacks grade.

C

5th - Andre Maddox, SS. Projected: Backup SS, Special Teams
"Again, not exactly the guy I wanted. Incedently, the fifth safety the Jets have drafted in the last three years. Hard hitter without elite speed. We'll see." (BJ) Too many DB's at this point for me. Where is the OL depth?

D-

6th - Cedric Houston, RB. Projected: Practice Squad
Most likely a value pick, as the Jets are solid at RB this year. Still no OL?

C-

6th - Joel Dreessen, TE. Projected: Backup/Practice Squad
Some Scouts had him as "a steal in the third". Hermdinger's new offense uses alot of two TE sets, so this adds needed Depth to the Position, and great value for a 6th.

B

7th - Harry Williams, WR. Projected: Practice Squad/Cut
A project plain and Simple.

C

Overall

B to B+ on the Streangth of the Miller value, Needs Filled, and Depth added.

Good Draft over all for the Jets, Despite what some very uninformed "Experts" may have you belive. I just wish Some Offensive Line was added. Young Depth being a concern as 3/5's of our line is on the wrong side of 30. I fully expected some to be added with the extra later round picks.

Troy McClure
04-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Troy is my boy...he's got the goods to make quite an impact in the NFL.
What I lack in size, speed, and ability, I make up for in effort.

Cowboys - Who knows... I'll give them an A for not trading down.

The switch to the 3-4 is going to depend a lot on these rookies. If these draft picks can't contribute this season, the defense will blow again.

Their most interesting pick is Chris Canty taken in the 4th round. Some scouts say he has 1st round talent but fell because of the eye injury this year and knee injury last year. Good pick even if he doesn't work out. These are the kind of gambles that can lead to greatness. The Cowboys have had such a terrible 2nd day draft record that they needed to take a flyer on a guy like this.

Burberry Manning
04-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Dreessen was a steal in the 6th. I had him rated as a third rounder. He's a Chris Cooley clone but with better intangibles.
A 3rd rounder? Are you kidding me? I've seen too much of Joel and I haven't been too impressed. Personally, I dont think he was even the best TE in Colorado last season

JCD
04-26-2005, 09:30 PM
What I lack in size, speed, and ability, I make up for in effort.

Cowboys - Who knows... I'll give them an A for not trading down.

The switch to the 3-4 is going to depend a lot on these rookies. If these draft picks can't contribute this season, the defense will blow again.

Their most interesting pick is Chris Canty taken in the 4th round. Some scouts say he has 1st round talent but fell because of the eye injury this year and knee injury last year. Good pick even if he doesn't work out. These are the kind of gambles that can lead to greatness. The Cowboys have had such a terrible 2nd day draft record that they needed to take a flyer on a guy like this.

I think the switch to the 3-4 is flirting with disaster. Nothing ruins your defense faster than switching to a system which you don't have the personnel to pull off. See: Falcons the past three years. Dominant defense 2 years, suck-butt defense one year. Little change in the players, but tried out the 3-4 once.

The heart of a 3-4 is the Nose Tackle. Without a solid 2-gap one, don't even bother. Is Ferguson that guy? Not sure.

Who are the ends? Ellis is too small. Coleman is pushing it for size and is a marginal player to begin with. Banking on the rookie Spears to deliver. Glover is a 1-gap penetrator ill-suited for a 3-4 end.

Making matters worse, you are playing away from your strengths. Glover is a great 4-3 UT and Ellis a great 4-3 end who lacks the size to play in a 3-4 or the speed to play LB. You did the offense a favor by eliminating your two best linemen for them. Makes no sense to me.

LBs are a have some questions, but better than the line. James has the size, but might not have the talent. Nguyen and Singleton have the speed and playmaking inside, though might not be as adept at taking on blockers as they need to be. Ware is a project who needs to deliver immediately.

In the end, I just think it is a bad move. If the Cowboys wanted to switch, they should have dove headlong into it instead of being indecisive. Miami wanted to potentially switch as well, but they went after it. Plus, they already had several key pieces in place. They had the big-bodied NTs in Chester and Bowens (one will start), they added players who can be 3-4 ends in Holliday and Carter. If they do switch, they are further along in the transition. Cowboys should have grabbed some DTs/DEs that can be 3-4 ends.

Troy McClure
04-26-2005, 09:53 PM
I think the switch to the 3-4 is flirting with disaster. Nothing ruins your defense faster than switching to a system which you don't have the personnel to pull off.
Well, there really wasn't much to ruin going into this offseason. We're talking about a team who managed to get zero pressure on the QB every game. The Tuna has a hard on for the 3-4 and thinks he's been able to make the changes needed to finally get through to the QB more often. What they had wasn't working, so I say go for it. Change can be good.

Fire Sather
04-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Jets filled all their needs, without the benefit of the 1st rounder, which was used to fill their need at TE.

A.

MIKE NUDGENT BABY!!

King_Brown
04-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Glover and Ellis wont play the 3-4 sets on a regular. Bill Parcels is going to use Demarcus Ware as the edge LB in 3-4 with Spears as rush end, and use the bigger LB and Fergouson at Nose Tackle. The whole point is to keep changing personel on the go, he wants to cut Glover and Ellis playing time down 25%, and Demarcus Ware is his new Lawrence Taylor. Hes fixed the secondary, and they still have Roy Williams which is going to be a huge help. I think the Cowboys will dominate on the defensive side. Hes been trying to get rid of Dat Nugyen which is smart hes a small guy, Parcells wants to get bigger and he did 3 players at 6'4.

Epsilon
04-27-2005, 01:52 AM
I really hope that Parcells keeps Dat Nugyen, even if he only plays part of the time. He's small but he's a playmaker and if he's not used on every down he will be effective.

JCD
04-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Glover and Ellis wont play the 3-4 sets on a regular. Bill Parcels is going to use Demarcus Ware as the edge LB in 3-4 with Spears as rush end, and use the bigger LB and Fergouson at Nose Tackle. The whole point is to keep changing personel on the go, he wants to cut Glover and Ellis playing time down 25%, and Demarcus Ware is his new Lawrence Taylor. Hes fixed the secondary, and they still have Roy Williams which is going to be a huge help. I think the Cowboys will dominate on the defensive side. Hes been trying to get rid of Dat Nugyen which is smart hes a small guy, Parcells wants to get bigger and he did 3 players at 6'4.

That is just it though, Glover and Ellis are far and away the Cowboys best linemen. Glover becomes a 3-down pass rusher and Ellis only plays in 4-3 subsets, nickel package (not his strength) or out-of-position. Dat Nguyen is the other top player in their front-7, been their defensive MVP 3 of the last 4 years I believe. How is getting rid of him a good thing? He is one of their few playmakers and their ONLY reliable LB. Going to the 3-4 has eliminated (very least, limited) the talents of his best 3 of the front-7 and 3 of his top-5 players overall.

Parcells did other teams a favor by neutralizing them before the game even starts. The wise coach plays to the strengths of his team. The egotistical one pounds square pegs into round holes thinking 'his system' is more important than the talent running it. He is putting the emphasis away from his proven playmakers and putting it on a small-school rookie switching positions and a 2nd year player (James) who was solid, but nothing special.

Well, there really wasn't much to ruin going into this offseason. We're talking about a team who managed to get zero pressure on the QB every game. The Tuna has a hard on for the 3-4 and thinks he's been able to make the changes needed to finally get through to the QB more often. What they had wasn't working, so I say go for it. Change can be good.

But it can get worse. Much worse. Despite their problems, Cowboys were still middle-of-the-pack in yards allowed (13th), although 27th in points allowed. Dallas survived on smoke-and-mirrors in 2003, it caught up to them last year.

Change can be good, but you have got to do it right. Cowboys switch looks a lot more like the disasterous Atlanta flop than it does the Chargers, Ravens or Pats switch. Why? Because the Cowboys, like Atlanta, didn't go all-out in their conversion. They sat on the fence and didn't committ personal one-way or the other. The successful guys, they dove headlong into the conversion, making sure they had the right guys to pull it off and cutting those who didn't fit the system. More-so, those successful guys made the switch because that played to the strengths of their talent: Chargers had little to speak of other than a good NT and Edwards; Pats with thick with LBs, short on DEs and had big d-linemen; Ravens were loaded with LBs and had nothing on the DL. Cowboys are doing the opposite, playing away from their best players. It doesn't matter what system you run if you don't have the right players to run it. Cowboys don't have the linemen or linebackers to run a traditional 3-4. Maybe Parcells has dreamed up some new variation of the 3-4, but if it is like any of the ones used before, he doesn't have the horses. Short on big linemen, short on big LBs.

This looks like a disaster in the making to me. We shall see.

King_Brown
04-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Parcells knows what hes doing. Dat Nuygen is not his tpe of player.

Troy McClure
04-27-2005, 10:42 AM
But it can get worse. Much worse. Despite their problems, Cowboys were still middle-of-the-pack in yards allowed (13th), although 27th in points allowed. Dallas survived on smoke-and-mirrors in 2003, it caught up to them last year.
That yards per game stat is about the most worthless in football. Even in 2003, they weren't that great of a defense.

This past season, being 27th in points allowed is huge because the offense was so terrible. That and the team couldn't hold a lead (though Interceptiverde did contribute a lot to that).

King_Brown
04-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Bill Parcells has the players to run his 3-4 now, and Demarcus Ware is going to be a absolute beast of a edge rushing linebacker. Look for him to put up Terrel Suggs type numbers, and Marcus SPears is huge it might take double teams on him agaisnt smaller and weaker O-Lines. Kevin Burnett is what 6'3 or 6'4 and hes going to be a linebacker, hes got his big boys to play the run, and rush. I truly belive they Cowboys defence will dominate teams this year. If Bill Parcells gets happy about a player, and compares him to Lawrence Taylor, you cant expect nothing less then a stellar players then.

Troy McClure
04-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Bill Parcells has the players to run his 3-4 now, and Demarcus Ware is going to be a absolute beast of a edge rushing linebacker. Look for him to put up Terrel Suggs type numbers, and Marcus SPears is huge it might take double teams on him agaisnt smaller and weaker O-Lines. Kevin Burnett is what 6'3 or 6'4 and hes going to be a linebacker, hes got his big boys to play the run, and rush. I truly belive they Cowboys defence will dominate teams this year.
I'm always sceptical when you put all your hopes in the hands of players who haven't played a down of NFL football. This year, they may really suck again, but they've done well adding potential talent to the defense that could pay off in the next few years.

If Bill Parcells gets happy about a player, and compares him to Lawrence Taylor, you cant expect nothing less then a stellar players then.
Don't forget Bill Parcells is a liar who will say anything to the media if he feels it suits his needs.

JCD
04-27-2005, 12:49 PM
That yards per game stat is about the most worthless in football. Even in 2003, they weren't that great of a defense.

This past season, being 27th in points allowed is huge because the offense was so terrible. That and the team couldn't hold a lead (though Interceptiverde did contribute a lot to that).

All depends. You look at the best yards allowed defenses, they are all pretty damn good defenses. Scoring can be misleading as well if your team is living off TOs and not stopping drives. TO-led defenses RARELY live up to expectations in the post-season when it counts. Why? Because a TO relies on an offense screwing up and a defense taking advantage of the opportunity. If the offense doesn't screw up, you are hosed. IMO, TOs come and go. You are better off stopping a drive than living off those.

My point is that although we agree that the Cowboys defense isn't great, it can ALWAYS get worse. Trust me, I am a Vikings fan. We used to think it can't get any worse either.

MontrealCruiser_83*
04-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Bill Parcells has the players to run his 3-4 now, and Demarcus Ware is going to be a absolute beast of a edge rushing linebacker. Look for him to put up Terrel Suggs type numbers, and Marcus SPears is huge it might take double teams on him agaisnt smaller and weaker O-Lines. Kevin Burnett is what 6'3 or 6'4 and hes going to be a linebacker, hes got his big boys to play the run, and rush. I truly belive they Cowboys defence will dominate teams this year. If Bill Parcells gets happy about a player, and compares him to Lawrence Taylor, you cant expect nothing less then a stellar players then.
They actually have better personel to run the 4-3.

Ellis-Glover-Ferguson-Spears
James/Burnett-Nguyen-Ware

That's a respectable front 7. The 3-4 will be disastrous IMO and Parcells will skip town after either this season or next.

JCD
04-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Bill Parcells has the players to run his 3-4 now

You keep on saying that, but have yet to say who they are.

Who are the ends? Is Ferguson able to play the NT in a 3-4? Who are the OLBs?

Demarcus Ware is going to be a absolute beast of a edge rushing linebacker. Look for him to put up Terrel Suggs type numbers,

Suggs set the NCAA record for sacks. Ware played in a DII program. To say Ware will even be effective this year is being optimistic. To compare him to Suggs is laughable.

Know who Jason Babin is? That is who Ware is comparable too. A small-school DE converting to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Only I believe Babin had both better measurables and better college production. I didn't hear anybody comparing Babin's rookie year to LT. 50-tackles and 4-sacks. I think that is a fair benchmark to use for Ware.

Marcus SPears is huge it might take double teams on him agaisnt smaller and weaker O-Lines.

No, he isn't. 307 isn't anything special. 'Big' in the NFL means 350+. Spears is a bit above average for a 3-4 end. Most OLs in the NFL average 300-310. Bigger lines click in with a 320 average. Most NFL rookie linemen take a year just to build their bodies up to an NFL level and developed their repertoire of moves.

Kevin Burnett is what 6'3 or 6'4 and hes going to be a linebacker, hes got his big boys to play the run, and rush.

6'3 or 6'4 is pretty unimpressive for an OLB. That puts him in with about 150 other guys. Being big and being able to play are very different. Alonzo Jackson is both big and fast, he sucks. Burnett has talent and could make an impact, but he was a 2nd round pick for a reason. This isn't Lavar Arrington stepping in.

I truly belive they Cowboys defence will dominate teams this year.

Based on what? They were bad last year, vastly over-rated in 2003 and are switching to a system that they do not have the right players to pull off. This stinks of Atlanta in 2003.

If Bill Parcells gets happy about a player, and compares him to Lawrence Taylor, you cant expect nothing less then a stellar players then.

Coachspeak. A term you really need to learn. I will bet you the keys to my new Mustang that Ware is not going to be another Lawrence freaking Taylor.

Dr Love
04-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Ware played in a DII program.Small nitpick: Troy State is D-IA.

Still, only college football analysts knew who he was when the season began.

I've got huge doubts about Marcus Spears. Anyone see his interview at the combine as to why he sat out? He basically didn't feel like doing it. Attaboy. Questionable work ethic galore.

JCD
04-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Small nitpick: Troy State is D-IA.

Still, only college football analysts knew who he was when the season began.

My mistake. Still, this is a small school product who has not even faced top NCAA competition, let alone NFL talent. AND he is switching positions.

If he matches what Babin did, it will have been a good year.

BlueBleeder
04-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Rams: B-

We addressed our needs on the OL and in the secondary.

Dr Love
04-27-2005, 01:37 PM
My mistake. Still, this is a small school product who has not even faced top NCAA competition, let alone NFL talent. AND he is switching positions.

If he matches what Babin did, it will have been a good year.
No disagreement here. Like I said, only analysts knew who he was before the season began, although Troy State's upset of Missouri turned a few heads.

JFPIV
05-02-2005, 09:02 AM
B- for the colts. Addressed the secondary, limited help to the defensive line, no help to the linebackers.

Vic Rattlehead*
05-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I think the switch to the 3-4 is flirting with disaster. Nothing ruins your defense faster than switching to a system which you don't have the personnel to pull off. See: Falcons the past three years. Dominant defense 2 years, suck-butt defense one year. Little change in the players, but tried out the 3-4 once.

The heart of a 3-4 is the Nose Tackle. Without a solid 2-gap one, don't even bother. Is Ferguson that guy? Not sure.

Who are the ends? Ellis is too small. Coleman is pushing it for size and is a marginal player to begin with. Banking on the rookie Spears to deliver. Glover is a 1-gap penetrator ill-suited for a 3-4 end.

Making matters worse, you are playing away from your strengths. Glover is a great 4-3 UT and Ellis a great 4-3 end who lacks the size to play in a 3-4 or the speed to play LB. You did the offense a favor by eliminating your two best linemen for them. Makes no sense to me.

LBs are a have some questions, but better than the line. James has the size, but might not have the talent. Nguyen and Singleton have the speed and playmaking inside, though might not be as adept at taking on blockers as they need to be. Ware is a project who needs to deliver immediately.

In the end, I just think it is a bad move. If the Cowboys wanted to switch, they should have dove headlong into it instead of being indecisive. Miami wanted to potentially switch as well, but they went after it. Plus, they already had several key pieces in place. They had the big-bodied NTs in Chester and Bowens (one will start), they added players who can be 3-4 ends in Holliday and Carter. If they do switch, they are further along in the transition. Cowboys should have grabbed some DTs/DEs that can be 3-4 ends.

Parcells said they are going to slowly change into the 3-4, so the 4-3 will be used as well during the season. Don't expect a fast change.

monster_bertuzzi
05-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Rams: B-

We addressed our needs on the OL and in the secondary.

Now what the hell do you do with Turley...

JCD
05-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Now what the hell do you do with Turley...

??

Turley's career is likely over. He is going to attempt to play Defensive End, but if that doesn't pan out (and it is a longshot), he is done.

thestonedkoala
05-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Yeah I heard he lost some weight, which makes him ineffective at his position, so they are going to probably release him.

Icognito? A risky pick IMO.

monster_bertuzzi
05-03-2005, 01:49 PM
??

Turley's career is likely over. He is going to attempt to play Defensive End, but if that doesn't pan out (and it is a longshot), he is done.

He told ESPN that although he only weighs 248 pounds right now he is going to add back the 50 pounds that he lost and attempt to re-start his career as a tackle.

JCD
05-03-2005, 02:26 PM
He told ESPN that although he only weighs 248 pounds right now he is going to add back the 50 pounds that he lost and attempt to re-start his career as a tackle.

Regardless, Turley is a longshot (at best) to contribute anything meaningful to a football team ever again. If he does, he is winning Comeback Player of the Year. You don't factor in longshots when planning for the season.

If what he said is true, then he has 3 months to add 50 pounds before training camp starts. That seems all but impossible, short of roiding up in massive levels.

sveiglar
05-04-2005, 06:04 AM
I'd love to see someone rate the Raiders draft. I know we needed a CB, so I hope one of Washington or the 2nd round guy can play, and I think I like Andrew Walter in the 3rd round. Other than that, I know next to nothing about the guys they drafted.