Devils Getting Ready To Say Goodbye To Some Players...

Devils Unseen Hand
09-25-2003, 06:18 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/40706.htm

Hopefully not a "select" few!

I Hate Tie DOMI
09-25-2003, 09:30 AM
It would suck after hearing how well Balmochynyk is doing that we lose him in the waiver draft. Also losing Giroux would not help the defence situation since it would probably mean that a rookie would end up being the 7th defencemen (Hale/Martin/DeMarchi) unless we sign Albelin again. :dunno:

ttnorm
09-25-2003, 10:59 AM
It would suck after hearing how well Balmochynyk is doing that we lose him in the waiver draft. Also losing Giroux would not help the defence situation since it would probably mean that a rookie would end up being the 7th defencemen (Hale/Martin/DeMarchi) unless we sign Albelin again. :dunno:Don't know who the other teams will expose but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a shrewd GM scoop up Giroux in the waiver draft. That's the nature of the business unfortunately.

Blackjack
09-25-2003, 11:36 AM
I always thought the waiver draft was stupid. What's the logic of just giving bad teams free players? Plus is forces organizations to, in effect, say to some of their kids "you are the least important member of this team" when that might not be true at all.

Brodeur
09-25-2003, 11:51 AM
It would suck after hearing how well Balmochynyk is doing that we lose him in the waiver draft. Also losing Giroux would not help the defence situation since it would probably mean that a rookie would end up being the 7th defencemen (Hale/Martin/DeMarchi) unless we sign Albelin again. :dunno:

If somebody takes Balmo, they'll have to keep him on the 23 man NHL roster. If they try to demote him to the AHL, we'll have highest priority to claim him. Happened a couple years ago, Vancouver exposed Josh Holden, Carolina took him then demoted him a month later, Canucks took him back.

At this point, I'm not sure if there are any teams with an extra spot for a guy that has done zip professionally in North America.

Giroux might be a nice pickup for somebody, although I'm pretty sure if we lose him, Lou could get him back the same day for a 6th rounder.

John Flyers Fan
09-25-2003, 12:34 PM
I always thought the waiver draft was stupid. What's the logic of just giving bad teams free players? Plus is forces organizations to, in effect, say to some of their kids "you are the least important member of this team" when that might not be true at all.

Not a punishment to the good teams, but a reward to players that deserve spots in the NHL. Helps to get players that might be buried on a good team (Devils, Flyers, Sens) to get NHL playing time on teams that lack the same depth (Pens, Preds, Panthers etc.)

Unthinkable
09-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Don't know who the other teams will expose but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a shrewd GM scoop up Giroux in the waiver draft. That's the nature of the business unfortunately.

I'll be majorly ripped if we lose Giroux in the waiver draft. MAJORLY RIPPED!

ratsgirl
09-25-2003, 04:55 PM
not that last year matters at all at this point, but no one claimed giroux then either.

i'd be more worried if schwab or clemmensen (however unlikely it is) got picked up by someone. we don't exactly have a lot of spare goalies around.

Niedermayer21
09-25-2003, 05:07 PM
What would you say to Turner Stevenson, Scott Clemmensen, Stephen Guolla or Craig Darby, Teemu Laine, and our #1 and #2 picks in 2004 to Calgary for their #1 pick in the 2004 Draft? If we get lucky, we get Alex Ovechkin. If not, we still get a top player, unless Calgary has a really big turnaround. A big roll of the dice!

Friesen--Gomez--Langenbrunner
Elias--Larionov/Rasmussen--Bicek/Berglund
Pandolfo--Madden--Gionta
Brylin--Rupp--Marshall

Rafalski--Stevens
Niedermayer--Albelin/Brown
Giroux--White

Brodeur
Schwab

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2003-04 New Jersey Devils' 23-man roster!

Unthinkable
09-25-2003, 05:43 PM
not that last year matters at all at this point, but no one claimed giroux then either.

i'd be more worried if schwab or clemmensen (however unlikely it is) got picked up by someone. we don't exactly have a lot of spare goalies around.

No one really knew what Giroux was capable of doing in the NHL this time last year though. As far as spare goalies go, Ari was widely considered our top rated prospect not too long ago.

ratsgirl
09-25-2003, 05:52 PM
No one really knew what Giroux was capable of doing in the NHL this time last year though. As far as spare goalies go, Ari was widely considered our top rated prospect not too long ago.

Hey, the Rats need a couple of goalies too! :)
Kostur is the only other one in the system as far as I know...if we lose a goalie there won't be much room for injuries on either team. oh well...not that such a thing will happen anyways.

Blackjack
09-25-2003, 06:01 PM
I don't think we even signed Kostur, did we? We'd have 3 goalies for 2 leagues. Not good.

NJDevils#4
09-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Ugh....I hate the waiver draft. I really hope we don't lose anyone, but it looks like this may be the year.

skariya18
09-25-2003, 07:20 PM
I hope there's a team out there that Steve Kariya can latch onto and get some time at the NHL level. He would be pretty much buried on any team, but even more so on an elite team like the Devils.