Repentigny?

05-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I read in the Repentigny's papers that 3 business man were trying to get a QMJHL team in Repentigny for the 2006-2007 season. They said that they would build an arena of about 9,000 seats near the Felix-Leclerc high school (where they just built the new midget-football stadium).

They also said that since Repentigny is just a couple of minutes away from Montreal (who doesn't have a QMJHL team), people from Montreal and from the whole Lanaudière area would come to see the team play. Also, the money they would make with the team would greatly help the city's budget. The arena would also be use for regional happenings and show.

I know there's a lot of hockey fan in Lanaudière and I'm sure they would sellout a lot of games throughout the year, especially if the tickets are at a good price. We've got a lot of young kids and teenagers rooting for the Montreal Canadiens, and I'm pretty sure they would all cher for the hometown team aswell.

So what do you think about the possibility of the QMJHL expending to Repentigny?

05-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Anyone?

LaD
05-06-2005, 06:58 PM
why not!? It could be a good thing. Montreal would be happy to refind a LHJMQ team near I guess...

wedge
05-06-2005, 08:43 PM
man, I'd LOVE IT... I'm moving to Repentigny in july and it would be so great to have a junior team...

Maxpac
05-07-2005, 09:20 AM
I live 10 min from the Felix-Lecler school in Lavaltrie, man that would be fantastic, I heard that Guy Lafleur is part of it as well and that this would be the arena that the montreal canadiens would hold there practices as well

GoSSCHgo
05-08-2005, 10:19 AM
We've had teams located more centrally at Maurice Richard Arena, the Laval Colisee, the Verdun Auditorium et al, and Montrealers stopped going to junior hockey when local TV started broadcasting all 82 games of the Habs schedule, plus playoffs. Repentigny falls off the end of the earth in the northeast; no chance that a team there would draw outside that suburb.

We have two university teams at McGill and Concordia, with U de Montreal talking about getting back in to the sport, especially after the great success of football.

With expansion, we'll have two Laval, two west-end, a Montreal, and two South Shore teams in Midget AAA.

Although no Q teams are in the greater Metropolitan area, Montreal is hockey saturated pretty much.

PEli*
05-08-2005, 12:29 PM
It's going to fail in Repentigny as well.

Chootoi
05-08-2005, 01:49 PM
It's going to fail in Repentigny as well.

probably would but i have no doubts that the Q will jump on any chance they get to get an expansion team a) outside of the maritimes (ie back in quebec), and b) in the montreal area.

PEli*
05-08-2005, 03:17 PM
probably would but i have no doubts that the Q will jump on any chance they get to get an expansion team a) outside of the maritimes (ie back in quebec), and b) in the montreal area.

That's because the Q brass are collectively about as smart as a glass of milk.

MontrealSF
05-14-2005, 06:48 PM
We have two university teams at McGill and Concordia, with U de Montreal talking about getting back in to the sport, especially after the great success of football.

In no way is the University de Montréal getting back in men hockey. They are talking of having a women team tom compete with the Stingers and the Martlets.

plaugher
05-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Would love to see a team back in the Montreal region, but has been pointed out already, they don't exactly have a good track record in supporting teams in the region in recent years. Laval, Verdun, Montreal, Longueuil, St-Jean (and isn't St-Hyacinthe in the region as well?) have seen teams depart in the last several years, largely due to poor attendance. While the market may be a feasible target during the lockout, any potential press/support would likely disappear when the Habs hit the ice again.

I fear that Repentigny would go the way of so many before it, and move east (or south) after a couple of seasons.

deandebean
05-22-2005, 02:06 AM
Unless the actual arena owner in Repentigny, Mr. Doucet, accepts a buyout clause, he won't allow another arena to be built near his 2-rink complex. The guy has something like an 25 year old exclusivity contract with the city.