More info on Abramovich interest in the Canucks...

Peter Griffin
09-25-2003, 07:14 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55094

"Russian-born NHL players spending the summer in their homeland heard rumours of a possible purchase by Abramovich of an NHL team that would be stocked entirely with Russian players. Most of the millionaire players know Abramovich. Hockey Hall of Fame defenceman Viacheslav Fetisov, who now holds a government sport ministry position, is a friend and would have an interest in becoming involved in management of any team Abramovich might buy.

``It wouldn't hurt to have our own, wholly Russian team in the National Hockey League,'' says Fetisov. ``It would stir up more interest.''

:eek:

That would royally suck. Nothing against Russian players, but imagine a team full of Bure's and Mogilny's where the most physical player would be Chubarov? The Canucks would never win anything...

Also of note, Abramovich owns the Russian Elite League team, Avangard Omsk, who recently spent big money to sign Oleg Tverdovsky and Jamie Storr.

Edler Statesman*
09-25-2003, 07:17 AM
I think this means he wants to buy Chicago

Peter Griffin
09-25-2003, 07:19 AM
I think this means he wants to buy Chicago

That would definitely make more sense. It would be a dream come true for their GM, Mike Smith-ov! He'd finally have a virtually unlimited payroll to stock his team completely with Russian players! Yay!

Lard_Lad
09-25-2003, 07:20 AM
He couldn't do it; the NHL wouldn't let him, even if they approved the purchase. And it's worth noting that Chelsea doesn't have a single Russian in its lineup, and Abramovich hasn't done anything to change that. This is just a wild rumor, probably wishful thinking by Russian fans.

Peter Griffin
09-25-2003, 07:24 AM
He couldn't do it; the NHL wouldn't let him, even if they approved the purchase.

What could they do to stop him? An owner can employ any players he wishes, even if they are all Russian born.

And it's worth noting that Chelsea doesn't have a single Russian in its lineup, and Abramovich hasn't done anything to change that. This is just a wild rumor, probably wishful thinking by Russian fans.

But how many Russian soccer players play in the league? I agree it's probably a silly rumour, but this guys has money to burn and he is apparantly a big hockey fan. I know being a Canadian I wouldn't mind seeing a team constructed of all my favorite Canadian stars...

Pangolin
09-25-2003, 07:28 AM
He couldn't do it; the NHL wouldn't let him, even if they approved the purchase. And it's worth noting that Chelsea doesn't have a single Russian in its lineup, and Abramovich hasn't done anything to change that. This is just a wild rumor, probably wishful thinking by Russian fans.

Chelsea doesn't have russian because the Premier league doesn't allow more than a certain # of non-EUs on the team...

MVP
09-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Several points i like to make

1) i think this is actually one of the best possible ownership scenario for the Canucks. Yes McCaw wants to sell this team to local ownership, but who really have the money in Vancouver and actually want the team. If there are any, they would have shown the interest by now. On the other hand, i think Abramovich would actually has the money and committment to keep the team in Vancouver. The reasons are simple. First, i am sure Abramovich wants to move the team to Russia, but it is impossible because NHLPA would never accept such a move. And Canucks would became kinda a toy for him, and the location is not really all that important. Can Abramovich be a possible long term owners candidate, probably not, but the fact is during his stay in Canucks for about 5-20 years, you will just know he will invest enough money to make this team into contentor. i also like to have a passion local owner for the Canucks, but that is just not a reality in the world we are living today.

2) As far as over spending goes, i think it will be very hard since a immediate lock out will most likely create a salary cap which will restrict the owner of overspending without some serious punishment likes a luxuay tax.

3) i am very curious about the actual plan for McCaw and Stan McCammon. They have insisted on finding a local ownership for this team, but have not been too active at finding a potential owner recently. There are several reasons, one theory is that people are afraid to invest to any NHL franchise due to potential lockout and the lose of immediate money. On the other hand, the other theory going around is people are very active at becoming a NHL owner because this is the perfect time since if they look beyond the lockout, the NHL with salary cap can become very favorable for the owners. i don't know which theory is true. The bottom line is i am not sure if McCaw is really trying to sell the team right now because the Canucks have generate so much money for him. This is a fact that is often being loss, McCaw is the owner of both the Orca Bay and Canucks. If the Canucks are making money just base on the ticket sell, can you imagine the type of money Orca Bay is making as a company which is in charge of the 15$ per parking spot, the food etc......... This team might very well make about 30 million $ for McCaw per season. Although they would never be stupid enough to open the real book for the public.

LaLaLaprise
09-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Hypathetically, if this dude does buy the Nucks, would he trade Bertuzzi and Naslund for like Kovalchuk?? lol

Wouldnt it be easier for some Swede to buy the Canucks and make them an all Swedeish team (50% there).

Lard_Lad
09-25-2003, 09:27 AM
What could they do to stop him? An owner can employ any players he wishes, even if they are all Russian born.

The league can refuse to approve trades, for one thing. I suppose he could let contracts expire and only sign Russian free agents and draft only Russians. But I suspect that the bad publicity that would result if one team only acquired players of a certain nationality (Russian or otherwise) would cause the NHL to tell him to cease and desist - and, if he refused, they do have the power to revoke his franchise.

Chelsea doesn't have russian because the Premier league doesn't allow more than a certain # of non-EUs on the team...

They're allowed three, I believe. What's stopped Abramovich from selling his foreigners and bringing in Russians, if he's really so Russo-centric?

incawg
09-25-2003, 09:51 AM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/articles/6886613?source=Evening%20Standard

Mostly rehashed stuff, but this story sure is making the global rounds. Seems like there may be something to it after all.

MVP
09-25-2003, 09:57 AM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/articles/6886613?source=Evening%20Standard

Mostly rehashed stuff, but this story sure is making the global rounds. Seems like there may be something to it after all.

Good link, it will be up to McCaw and whether he will do the best thing for the franchise.

Tom.H
09-25-2003, 10:00 AM
The only local person that I can think of that has the kind of money that could buy the Canucks, is Jim Pattison.
However, Jim Pattison is not in the habit of buying things that loose money.
Besides if he wanted the Canucks, he would have bought them a long time ago.

ZadorovNJD*
09-25-2003, 10:12 AM
What's the point of making an all-Russian team? It's not like Russians can't find jobs...and any NHL team that strives to be one nationality will be weak in certain areas and will lack depth. An all-Russian team would not work, on or off the ice (especially in a North American city)

Peter Griffin
09-25-2003, 10:27 AM
What's the point of making an all-Russian team? It's not like Russians can't find jobs...and any NHL team that strives to be one nationality will be weak in certain areas and will lack depth. An all-Russian team would not work, on or off the ice (especially in a North American city)

Because this guy has money to burn. He's not in it to make money, but to rather to have fun.

orcatown
09-25-2003, 10:37 AM
McCaw's attitude toward his team has indeed been a strange one. At some points he seems very keen to build a winner. The apparent attempt to get Gretzky and the ill-concieved acquistion of Messier suggests this. Maybe they were done just to put backsides in the Garage but his wringing of hands at Canuck playoff games and Burke's trumpeting of McCaw's behind the scenes support suggest his interest is genuine.

Yet you get the feeling that if he could turn a buck by moving the Canucks he'd do it. Within the McCaw clan there seems on-going sibling rivally to establish one's business acumen. And that it might be just as important for McCaw to prove his worth by showing the Canucks to have been, after all, a good investment as it is to turn the team into a winner. Certainly the under-handed way in which the Grizzlies were dealt away points to McCaw's willingness to put business ahead of any commitment to Vancouver and his disregard for the fans of this city.

If the price is right I see McCaw dumping the Canucks. Yet I don't see him dumping the team without getting some firm and written guarantee that the Canucks will stay put. He'll not want the main tenant of the building he owns to be leaving. If he sells everything , including GM Place, to the Russian money bags then Mr. Abramovich will be in the same boat as McCaw is now. In either case I don't see the Canucks moving. The fact that team owns the building it plays in, and has a large financial committment to that building, has always been one major safeguard the fans have against the team moving elsewhere.

Larionov Fan
09-25-2003, 11:00 AM
The league can refuse to approve trades, for one thing. I suppose he could let contracts expire and only sign Russian free agents and draft only Russians. But I suspect that the bad publicity that would result if one team only acquired players of a certain nationality (Russian or otherwise) would cause the NHL to tell him to cease and desist - and, if he refused, they do have the power to revoke his franchise.

They're allowed three, I believe. What's stopped Abramovich from selling his foreigners and bringing in Russians, if he's really so Russo-centric?

Who are they gonna bring in? European football is so different than North American hockey, you can't just trade for a guy like that. Contracts are honored, and there are tons of rich owners who have so much more pressure than over here. Milan isn't just going to sell a Shevchenko to Chelsea because this guy has money. He probably does want Russians, but knows that there are none out there (of the ones available) who are worthy of a spot on an EPL team that he wants to win a championship.

He would be a terrible owner for this team. If you think McCaw will dump a team for a quick buck, wait till you see how fast this kid would dump us or move us to Portland.

Yammer
09-25-2003, 11:01 AM
I started a thread about the implications of an all-Russian NHL team in the general NHL board. Check it out!

Ajacied
09-25-2003, 11:03 AM
The first NHL team he tried to buy were the Stars just a few months ago, but the Stars declined and he then tried to get contact with the Vancouver Canucks..

PhillyNucksFan
09-25-2003, 11:27 AM
god, i cant think whats gonna happen if canucks stocked with all russian..............

and moving to Portland??? I will definetely fly back to Vancouver and protest.. :lol:

Anyway, I'd be happy if he gets the team, make this time contenders every year!

IMAGINE BURKE with unlimited budget... I wonder if he could be second Glen Sather. :D :D

nucks2001
09-25-2003, 12:16 PM
The NHL would not allow a team that is making money to be moved regardless of location but especially a team that is making money in Canada. I'm not concerned about the slightest threat of the team moving.

Chevy Cheveldae
09-25-2003, 01:01 PM

Chelsea actually russian midfielder Alexei Smertin from Bordeaux earlier in the summer, but he went out on loan to fellow premier league side Portsmouth becuause they see him as a "long-term investment"

Smertin is 29 ! !

Chevy Cheveldae
09-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Chelsea actually bought russian midfielder Alexei Smertin from Bordeaux earlier in the summer, but he went out on loan to fellow premier league side Portsmouth becuause they see him as a "long-term investment"

Smertin is 29 ! !

have to correct myself....

Smertin is 28 ... and here's a link

http://www.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=160774&plid=6507&cpid=8&Title=Pompey+land+Smertin&clid=47

steveburfoot
09-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Well Shevchenko is Ukranian, so I am not sure if Abramovic would be that interested ;)
The other thing is, how many top drawer Russian talents are there that play football? None instantly spring to mind, but with Hockey it is a different story, I would have thought he would go for Chicago given their histories (of russian players) or if he did take over another club, maybe he would hire Mike Smith!?!

Chevy Cheveldae
09-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Of course Mr Abramovich could pick up some great young russian prospects to Chelsea (izmailov, sychev) but why would he have them playing reserve football when he can go out and have huge stars instead ....who thought a guy like Hernan Crespo would end up in Chel$ki ?

I'm really scared about this whole "buying a NHL team" idea ... he'd probably pay a LOT of money to get the players he'd want - you wouldn't longer talk about the contract that Holik signed with the Rangers, that would probably be peanuts by his standards

I'm afraid it would raise the payroll of the team and there will be very tough competition for the 4 lines every night

I mean, the guy bought 10 new players to Chelsea, imagine if he would replace, for example Vancouver with a whole bunch of new players .. He (and the GM) would go out and point at the player they want and tell him to get here, because we will pay you whatever u ask....
If this guy wants to take over a team, he'd go for the cup the same season. so he'd probably trade for an all-star lineup by christmas...

If he doesn't do this russian team thing and want to bring all the best russian players to one team, of course it would be quite cool to just see them play together, it would be like having the World cup every night....

but still i'm a little scared of what this guy is going to do next....

LaVal
09-25-2003, 04:26 PM
why make a move to russian players? we just got the Sweden assimilation underway :dunno:

PhillyNucksFan
09-25-2003, 04:55 PM
lol

any one know any swedish billionaire around??

He could get the team, and get Sundin/Forsberg and etc to this already half swedish team. :D :D

I wouldnt mind that actually... :D

Epsilon
09-25-2003, 09:28 PM
lol

any one know any swedish billionaire around??

He could get the team, and get Sundin/Forsberg and etc to this already half swedish team. :D :D

I wouldnt mind that actually... :D

The Canucks already have the top Swedish goalie as well. :D

As for this idea, it's a neat one in theory, but I think in practice it's probably too unweildy. In the current NHL, it would take too long and too much money to pull off, while in the NHL changes under the new CBA to something more like the NFL, the roster turnover will too fast to make such a team stick. But if someone really did put together a team of all the best players from one country on an NHL squad, man would that team be good in international competitions. They would have such better chemistry than any of the others it wouldn't even be funny.

monster_bertuzzi
09-25-2003, 09:50 PM
A team full of Russians is better than a team of Swedes.

Epsilon
09-25-2003, 10:08 PM
A team full of Russians is better than a team of Swedes.

Given that the Russians are the only country to have medalled at both "NHL Olympics", there is certainly some evidence to back up that statement.

Gwyddbwyll
09-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Chelsea actually russian midfielder Alexei Smertin from Bordeaux earlier in the summer, but he went out on loan to fellow premier league side Portsmouth becuause they see him as a "long-term investment"

Smertin is 29 ! !

Yep Smertin is the Russian captain but he isnt good enough to make the team. Abramovich actually only bought him as a favor to a friend of his - not for Chelsea - which is why Smertin was farmed out immediately.

Most of Russia's best players are old and on the decline and they havent really got any up-and-coming or elite players that would make Chelsea's team. As for Shevchenko, well Abramovich was apparently very close to signing Christian Vieri, arguably the best striker in the world now.

Not really sure how he would gather all the best Russians though there are a lot more to choose from in hockey. Mogilny and Fedorov are already gone in UFA..

Tom.H
09-25-2003, 11:59 PM
Just for fun, I would like to see what you think would be the best Swedish line-up. Then compare it to the best Russian line-up.
Each team should have:
2-goalies
8-dmen
12-forwards

Comment, on why you think that team would win a best of seven series.

Peter Griffin
09-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Swedish Team

Markus Naslund-Peter Forsberg-Daniel Alfredsson
Henrik Zetterberg-Mats Sundin-Kristian Huselius
Daneil Sedin-Henrik Sedin-Tomas Holmstrom
Magnus Arvedson-Michael Nylander-P.J. Axelsson

Mattias Ohlund-Niklas Lidstrom
Mattias Norstrom-Kim Johnsson
Kennu Jonsson-Marcus Ragnarsson

Tommy Salo
Johan Hedberg

Russian Team

Ilja Kovalchuk-Sergei Fedorov-Alex Mogilny
Alexei Yashin-Alexei Zhamnov-Alexei Kovalev
Slava Kozlov-Pavel Datsyuk-Viktor Kozlov
Andrei Nikolishin-Artem Chubarov-Denis Arkhipov

Sergei Gonchar-Vitaly Vishnevski
Anton Volchenkov-Sergei Zubov
Andrei Markov-Danny Markov

Nikolai Khabibulin
Ilja Bryzgalov

(I made my team of true Russians. Nobody from the former USSR)

LaLaLaprise
09-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Alexandre Frolov and Maxim Afinogenov should be on there.

Antropov if you count former USSR :)

monster_bertuzzi
09-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Swedish Team:

Naslund-Forsberg-Sundstrom
Zetterberg-Sundin-Alfredsson
Holmstrom-Nylander-Huselius
Arvedson-Sedin-Sedin

Ohlund-Lidstrom
Jonsson-Norstrom
Johnsonn-Ragnarson

Hedberg

Russian Team:

Samsonov-Fedorov-Kovalchuk
Mogilny-Yashin-Kovalev
Kozlov-Zhamnov-Kozlov
Afinogenov-Datsyuk-Perezhogan

Kasparaitus-Gonchar
Markov-Mironov
Markov-Semenov

Khabibulin

The Russians are considerably better IMO.

PhillyNucksFan
09-26-2003, 12:32 PM
LOL.. actually, to be honest with you, both of those teams are pretty good actually... But I'll give the advantage to Russian, and bulin wall is better than salo IMO.

offense, I give edge to Swedes.. :D
Defense.. umm.. pretty much tied, but I'll give swedish the edge simply because Ohlund with Lidstron will just own. :D

monkey_00*
09-26-2003, 12:49 PM
why make a move to russian players? we just got the Sweden assimilation underway :dunno:
True enough.........I was thinking the exact same thing myself when I read the article.......I mean the Leafs could offer you guys over there Mats Sundin, Mikael Renberg and also your new backup for Hedberg could be Mikael Tvilquest....we'll throw in those 3-players in a deal with Vancouver and the Canucks' roster will then be 50% Swedish......in exchange Toronto gets Todd Bertuzzi and Dan Cloutier.

VAN-HAB
09-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Abromovich never said that Canucks will be a all russian team, where did you guys got that info. Yes he is interested to buy the Canucks and for sure he would spend millions to win the Cup. My friend plays for Chelsea and I know he is nothing like that.
Don't assume if you don't know!

Floppa!
09-26-2003, 01:02 PM
whats your friends name?