What Does YOUR Username Mean?

Jewelly
09-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Staying with the Original Handle & Avatar theme... I was wondering what everyone's username/handle means, how did they choose it etc. Yes, it's my day off so I have lots of time to ask nosey personal questions. :p

I know for a fact that this thread has been done already but it was before the crash and it looks as though there have been quite a few new posters lately. That's probably b/c hockey season has started.

It's pretty obvious to figure out some posters' handles b/c it's their name or a name of their fav hockey team with 'fan' added to it. Others are not so easily figured out.

When I very first posting on hockey sites, about 2 1/2 years ago I needed to register with a username. I had no idea what to choose. I used a few such as: VanFan until some guy blasted me b/c apparently that handle was taken by him.

I also used the handle Poet b/c I liked writing these silly little rhyming 4 liners but I quickly got tired of that b/c I'm not really a poet and I was running out of ideas.

Then, one day I had the Yahoo.ca site open to its homepage and I was reading the top section where they have their categories. I came across the shopping category and a sub-category was 'jewellery'.

I thought, hey if I take out a few of those letters it would spell Jewel. The problem was that the singer Jewel was very popular at the time and I didn't want people to think that I was her groupie and I ain't no singer either.

So, I played around some more with of the letters in jewellry and came up with Jewelly. The thing is, is that I actually don't like jewellery... rarely wear it except a pair of earrings and watch. People know not to buy me jewellery as a gift b/c it would be just wasted on me. Sounded like a comical thing to do to myself... choose a name of something that most women love but I don't. Well, it made perfect sense at the time at least.

Since I was a relatively new hockey fan (1998 when I really started following the Canucks regularly) and knew I was just learning about the sport therefore I often made mistakes as well as asked lots of questions... I didn't want other 'expert' posters to rip me apart. :cry:

I figured if I used a name that was obviously female, they'd go easy on me and be more patient with me while I was learning the sport. Kind of like wearing an 'N' on the back of your car window.

I know there are a lot of knowlegable female posters out there who have either played hockey or report hockey but unfortunately I wasn't one of them. I still have difficulty with my right cross-overs.

I think I've got a much better understanding of the sport now but since I'm such a late bloomer and I have other obligations and responsibilities now... I'll never have the hockey savvy that other male/female posters have. That's okay though b/c I have learned a lot and am still learning and it's all about enjoying the sport anyway.

Well, that's my story. What's yours? :D

edit: typo

Avery4Byng*
09-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Well my name came from a nickname i got in like grade 7. a mix of my first and last names together. Travis Wray = Tray..... kinda dumb or whatever but it works. and now at the age of 20, everyone calls me it, parents, friends, brothers, girlfriend etc.

stungun
09-25-2003, 11:13 AM
i have a twisted theory that the world would be a kinder and gentler place if everyone had a STUNGUN. people would think twice about being rude and obnoxious if they knew that they could be laying in a puddle of their own pee.

kira
09-25-2003, 11:18 AM
This story is short and sweet.

Kira is the name of one of my dogs...she is a 7-year-old Springer/Lab mix. My hubby named her after the character on Star Trek. It's a lot easier to remember and spell, so consequently, that's what the name is. I got some questions about being Russian, but it has nothing to do with that. If I had to change it I would probably change it to Galen, which is the name of my other dog, but I don't see any reason to change it. Like I said, if it ain't broke why screw around with it til it is?

The avatar is Pavel Datsyuk, my favorite player. I love that picture...I have the original of it and it's about half a newspaper page big. Those big brown eyes knock me out.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

guinness
09-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Mine is fairly self-explanitory; Guinness is one of my favorite beers, either you like stout or you hate it, I also find the history of the company interesting, the Gilroy artwork, and how global it is and how that there are different varities of Guinness depending on what country your in. Other handles I may have choosen were 1759 or millertime.

tom_servo
09-25-2003, 11:30 AM
I love Guinness. So, I guess that means I love you. Marry me?

kmad
09-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Some American guy kept calling me 'k-mad the Canadian wonderboy' (my real name is k**** mad****) and I grew to like it

Pinto
09-25-2003, 11:37 AM
my name came from a nickname i got the first year of high school from my friend Kyle, all my friends call me it (pinto), i added the 80 on the cuz i like Nik Antropov

dempsey_k*
09-25-2003, 11:38 AM
family name

The G Man
09-25-2003, 11:38 AM
My first name is Greg and I am a fan of the New York Football Giants aka The G Men

Unholy Diver
09-25-2003, 11:39 AM
I took the name of my favorite musical groups (DIO) first album which was Holy Diver and just put the Un- on it since I fancy myself as something of an Unholy person

Koltsov71
09-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Koltsov47 = Konstantin Koltsov, my favorite player in the Western Hemisphere.

Epoch
09-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Tor-Town: nickname of the city i'm from.

I might change it soon.

Slats432
09-25-2003, 11:46 AM
A long time ago in a far far away land there lived a Ruler named Slats. At the time he was a good Ruler. He took care of his own with his fatherly influence and treated his people with respect. His young warriors fought many a brave battle with his direction, and of course, just a bit of cockiness. ;) .

His warriors won many battles, so many so that many have considered them one of the greatest armies of all time. It is that man in the mid 80s early 90s that I admired.

In early 2000s he slipped in the tub and bumped his head and became the Glen Sather of today.

Nikkowar
09-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Pizzapie came from the System of a Down song Chic N stu,which happened to be the song I had on at the time. At first it was PizzapieFridge29-the Fridge was because I had a thing for Todd Fedoruk. Soon enough,the Fridge got annoying,and I added Zeppelin there because I love Led Zeppelin. The 18 is my lucky number.

Long story about my avatar,Nick Punto and I just happened to have a very nice fall,and we took the pic. And if you look very closely-no,his hand is not on my ass!!!!! I might change it,though.

soya_sauce_chicken
09-25-2003, 11:58 AM
umm
soya sauce chicken came from a term my friends and i used in chinese... so i just translated into english instead of using the chinese wording..
plus it's good to eat... :D

Digger12
09-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Hmm, how to explain?

When I was a young scamp slumming around the arcades in Edmonton, one of my favourite games to plunk a quarter in was a silly little thing called Dig Dug. A few years later when I joined the military, some basic recruit troglodyte caught wind of this and started calling me 'Digger Doug (my real name)'. Yeah yeah, real original brainiac. Seemed to stick in my head though.

So I come to this place, and just when I'm about to use 'Digger' I think "this is a hockey site, I should plunk something at the end", so I add the 12, which was the # of my favourite Oiler back in those days, Adam Graves.

Thinking of changing it to just Digger.

WhitePointers
09-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Whitepointers is the name of my pet Bilby who has big ummmmmmmmmm ears and a pouch to keep her ummmmmmmmm privates :blush:
The meaning of Whitepointers ........a couple blokes are walking along the beach and one points at a girl and says..wow take a look at those whitepointers :blush: :D

Samkow
09-25-2003, 01:21 PM
redacted.

Zodiac
09-25-2003, 01:25 PM
Sigmund Freud's "Freudian Slip" transformed into FloydianSlip since Pink Floyd is my favorite band.

Gee Wally
09-25-2003, 01:33 PM
hmmm...didn't realize mine needed an explanation...

My name is Walter and so is my father. Therefore I have always been Wally..

The "Gee Wally" comes from being born and raised in the "Leave it to Beaver" generation...

and yes...went thru life with ....

"Gee Wally, where's the beaver ? "

which most girlfriends didn't find funny... I obviously married the one with the sense of humor...

:-)

Vyacheslav
09-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Vyacheslav was the name I used in Russian class.

It's also the name of my favorite hockey player, Vyacheslav Kozlov.

A Good Flying Bird*
09-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Vyacheslav was the name I used in Russian class.

It's also the name of my favorite hockey player, Vyacheslav Kozlov.

NewsGuyOne Network is a fictional news company used by Tin Can Communications, a fictional company which ran a real monthly newspaper and weekly radio show in Windsor.

kenabnrmal
09-25-2003, 02:30 PM
Took my name...Ken...combined it with a song from my fave band...Dan Abnormal by Blur...rejigged it to fit in the AOL username requirements, and there we go...

kenabnrmal

Rails
09-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Well it isn't a part of my name. And it most definately isn't my favorite baseball player.

And it isn't my favorite hockey player. :rolleyes:

Yayo
09-25-2003, 02:36 PM
...I...took...my...gender...and...turned...it...in to...my...name...

Hossa
09-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Sigmund Freud's "Freudian Slip" transformed into FloydianSlip since Pink Floyd is my favorite band.

And all this time I thought you were just mad that the Marlins dealt Cliff Floyd.

As for me, my name's origin and meaning is pretty self-explanatory. I needed a name, and so I took the name of a Sens prospect at the time. This was like, late 1997 or early 1998, so well before Hossa was in the NHL. Its a good thing Hossa became a good player because if I picked the name, oh, Chouinard (for Mathieu Chouinard), it wouldn't look so good right now.

David A. Rainer
09-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Too many meanings to name.

Dr Love
09-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Really, what can I say?

Gee Wally
09-25-2003, 02:44 PM
And all this time I thought you were just mad that the Marlins dealt Cliff Floyd.

As for me, my name's origin and meaning is pretty self-explanatory. I needed a name, and so I took the name of a Sens prospect at the time. This was like, late 1997 or early 1998, so well before Hossa was in the NHL. Its a good thing Hossa became a good player because if I picked the name, oh, Chouinard (for Mathieu Chouinard), it wouldn't look so good right now.

I still get a kick out of when yoou changed to Obi-Wan Knuble a few years ago...

You're a good sport bud..

;)

Hossa
09-25-2003, 03:14 PM
I still get a kick out of when yoou changed to Obi-Wan Knuble a few years ago...

You're a good sport bud..

;)

Hey, every name I take turns to gold man. I take Hossa, he's one of the league's best players now. I took Volchenkov on another board, he's on the right track. And then I take Knuble, and boom, 30 goal scorer.

The G Man
09-25-2003, 03:16 PM
which most girlfriends didn't find funny... I obviously married the one with the sense of humor...

And no umbrella, right? :D

Gee Wally
09-25-2003, 03:29 PM
And no umbrella, right? :D

nothing can beat a guy with a hose ...

:D

Gee Wally
09-25-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey, every name I take turns to gold man. I take Hossa, he's one of the league's best players now. I took Volchenkov on another board, he's on the right track. And then I take Knuble, and boom, 30 goal scorer.

man...I'd be much obliged if you could get us a goalie... I've only been waitin 10 years now..

:mad:

nordique
09-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Everyone assumes Nord is because I'm a big Nordiques fan.

Not really.

When I was a kid, my grandmother's home care worker was from outside Quebec City and got me this Nordiques hat that I wore everywhere.

I still wear it all the time. It's 15 years old. It's died many times.

So it's kind of a trademark.

Vyacheslav
09-25-2003, 03:41 PM

Can you use mine someday?

Kevin Forbes
09-25-2003, 04:03 PM
My last name is forbes and I added a "y"
I also post on the Official Ducks board infrequently as puck_off

Used to post on board like Fanhome as darkspade17
spade for cards (liked my blackjack)
17 for my lucky number and dark because I thought it was cool
and then I found out spade was a racial term in reference to african americans so I decided to get rid of that username

My avatar is from the Mighty Ducks cartoon TV series that Disney put out. I thought it was cool and no one else had anything like it

AJW
09-25-2003, 04:13 PM
One of my favorite actors is Bruce Campbell.

One of my favorite Movies is Army of Darkness.

Campbell is the protagonist of Army of Darkness and his Character's name is Ash. I wanted Ash to be my username, but it was not available, so I went with AJW which stands for Ashley J. Williams, the Character's full name.

Joe T Choker
09-25-2003, 04:21 PM
well mine is pretty self explanatory as well...Seven Nation Army is without a doubt one of the baddest music videos I've seen over the last 5+ years, and since the song really isn't annoying yet...I'll keep this one for the next few years or so.

Fish on The Sand
09-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Mine is a song title. I was considering it when I made the last of my frequent name changes during the old boards, or "classic era", althugh it eventually lost out, it did make my name for the new boards.

plaugher
09-25-2003, 04:59 PM
I don't know where I came up with this obscure username. I really don't.

:dunno:

Jellybean
09-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Just one of my many nicknames. I don't think anybody actually calls me by my real name. :D

Jewelly
09-25-2003, 05:14 PM
Mine is a song title. I was considering it when I made the last of my frequent name changes during the old boards, or "classic era", althugh it eventually lost out, it did make my name for the new boards.I still like your other handle, hmmm, now that I think about it I can't really remember your old handle. Was it 'Old Glory'? I know it was something like that.

topshelf331
09-25-2003, 05:18 PM
On the end where the blues shoot once in savvis center on the upper bowl. There is basically an open area with a bar and plasma screen tvs in the hallway where you can stand and watch games. Basically that mezzanine high end is called the topshelf. My seats are in sec 331. This is basically the view from my seats ive had for the last 4 seasons.

Topshelf331

The view is actually better than it looks.

Edit: this is what savviscenter.net had to say about it.

THE TOP SHELF
The Top Shelf is a unique area located on the mezzanine concourse between Sections 326 and 331. A combination food court and sports bar that opens into the seating area, the Top Shelf offers a wide variety of beverages and food, including Nathan's hot dogs of New York, and allows fans to enjoy the atmosphere of a bar without missing all the live action. Fans can also watch game broadcasts and NHL action around the league as well as other sporting events of interest on the large plasma screen televisions located throughout the Top Shelf. The Top Shelf is open to all ticket holders.

PK*
09-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Mine is pretty simple. P and K are my initials.

CharlieGirl
09-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Charlie has been my nickname forever... Girl because, well, I am (and I had to come up with something because Charlie was taken), and 49 for my favourite NFC team (Go Niners!) and Charlie_Girl was already in use (I'm obviously not an original!)

ShootOut
09-25-2003, 06:27 PM
ShootOut comes from my own (lack of) creativity.

I've considered changing it to Poing-de-Fer, which has some medieval punch to it.

I've also considered leaving, since lately, I've found myself to be as interesting as the ugly-looking, you-don't-even-want-to-know-how-they-taste black candies left in the bottom of every bag. Anyway... I'm still there. :dunno:

Jewelly
09-25-2003, 06:32 PM
ShootOut comes from my own (lack of) creativity.

I've considered changing it to Poing-de-Fer, which has some medieval punch to it.

I've also considered leaving, since lately, I've found myself to be as interesting as the ugly-looking, you-don't-even-want-to-know-how-they-taste black candies left in the bottom of every bag. Anyway... I'm still there. :dunno:Nah, you're not the black candies left in the bottom of every bag... you're candy kisses.

Okay, so they're the same thing but who's keeping track. :joker:

Bring_Bak_Damphousse
09-25-2003, 06:32 PM
I really couldn`t think of a better name to start posting with so I took my favorite all time Hab (Damphousse) and since he`s no longer a hab...my superior thinking led me to add Bring Bak before his name. And a legend was born :p

Fish on The Sand
09-25-2003, 06:44 PM
I still like your other handle, hmmm, now that I think about it I can't really remember your old handle. Was it 'Old Glory'? I know it was something like that.
Yes, that was it. If you'll remember correctly I officially retired that handle.

Vedder
09-25-2003, 06:45 PM
the one and only Eddie-my favorite singer

The G Man
09-25-2003, 06:46 PM
I really couldn`t think of a better name to start posting with so I took my favorite all time Hab (Damphousse) and since he`s no longer a hab...my superior thinking led me to add Bring Bak before his name. And a legend was born :p
50 years from now when Vinny D is dead, everyone will think you have a bizarre username.

Serena587
09-25-2003, 06:50 PM
I've had this name almost since I first started out on-line, and I use it everywhere. Most people think Serena is my real name, but it's not. Serena is the Americanized name of my favorite anime character, and the 587 was added by AOL. :rolly:

My avatar? Patrick Rissmiller of the Cleveland Barons. He rocks!! ;)

Jewelly
09-25-2003, 06:50 PM
Yes, that was it. If you'll remember correctly I officially retired that handle.My memory is excellent and I still say that I preferred your old handle Old Glory. :D

The G Man
09-25-2003, 06:52 PM
My memory is excellent and I still say that I preferred your old handle Old Glory. :D
I agree. Old Glory is my personal fave also.

Brock
09-25-2003, 06:57 PM
Oh jeez, Wasn't I creative?

My name is Brock, by HF Handle is Brock.

Back on the original boards i went by the name "The_Brock" for a little while, but eventually changed it to just Brock (for about the last year the old boards were up and since we have moved to the new boards)

majicpixie
09-25-2003, 07:04 PM
I've had this name for quite some time. I use it everywhere, and it's also my AOL screen name. "majic" is the name of one of my favorite radio stations, and one of my good friends once called me a "pixie", so I combined the two.

My avatar is my favorite player, Chad Wiseman. He played for the Cleveland Barons (Sharks) the last two years, but was traded to the Rangers last month (Go Wolfpack!). :rolly:

Serena587
09-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Mine is a song title. I was considering it when I made the last of my frequent name changes during the old boards, or "classic era", althugh it eventually lost out, it did make my name for the new boards.

From George Harrison's Cloud 9?

The G Man
09-25-2003, 07:09 PM
My name is Brock, by HF Handle is Brock.
I don't get it. :dunno:

:lol:

Grizzly Adams
09-25-2003, 07:24 PM
lobster + space = spacelobster

Bring_Bak_Damphousse
09-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Yes, that was it. If you'll remember correctly I officially retired that handle.

weren`t you also one of the original habsfans aswell as redneck??? unless I messed you up with another of those older habs posters. :dunno:

#37-#93-#27*
09-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Hlavac Nedved Kovalev

monkey_00*
09-25-2003, 08:24 PM
I'm very much into Astrology.......Western and the Eastern Astrology as in Chinese Astrology..........

In the West they change their astrological signs on a per monthly basis but with the Chinese astrology they change theirs on a Yearly basis and they too (like in the West) have 12 different signs........and the year that I was born was 1968 and according to the Chinese Astrology 1968 was the Year of the monkey so that makes me one too......eek eek eek.

The Indestructible
09-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Mine is from Kafka.

Moose Head
09-26-2003, 08:57 AM
I enjoy the beer.

Spiffy
09-26-2003, 09:35 AM
Just take a guess what my name means it is kinda tricky :rolleyes:

Irish Blues
09-26-2003, 09:37 AM
I took Irish since that's my family background, and Blues for obvious reasons. :dunno: Kind of made it up on a spur-of-the-moment decision but it's stuck better than I ever thought it would.

KillToronto
09-26-2003, 11:06 AM
Obvious. But I only hate the maple leafs. I love Toronto as a city, its a good time. So close to home too.

Killerbeez
09-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Used to build MGB's with aluminum V8's in them. Got about 300hp out of the little buggers. They were great until the rust takes over. My vanity plate used to be Killr B.

The MGB's are long gone, but the supercharged intercooled miata is a thing of beauty!

I like the bruins so the name sort of fit.

klingsor
09-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Mine is from Wagner's "Parsifal".

Klingsor is an evil sorcerer and the sworn enemy of The Knights of The Holy Grail.

lux_interior
09-26-2003, 09:26 PM
Mine is the assumed name of the singer from the group "The Cramps." I used to be "droogs hockey". I was on a hockey team called "the droogs." But, I'm no longer on that team, ba-da-bing-ba-da-bang, PM Buffaloed, and voila "lux_interior" is born.

canadahockeygirl*
09-27-2003, 09:19 AM
I figure I should add on to this since I get the question all the time.

Grandparents from Quebec come to Dracut MA and see me skating on a pond when I was young. They said I skated smooth like a little Canadian hockey girl, and the nickname stuck through the years. It took on various forms, like "Canada" or "Canada Girl", and when making my name here I got lazy and didn't think people would get the joke if I put something like "Bunny" or "Beaver" since those both were my other nicknames. I wanted my hockey knowledge to show through rather than have it clouded by a name that would make people wonder about me.

Spiffy
09-27-2003, 09:21 AM
I figure I should add on to this since I get the question all the time.

Grandparents from Quebec come to Dracut MA and see me skating on a pond when I was young. They said I skated smooth like a little Canadian hockey girl, and the nickname stuck through the years. It took on various forms, like "Canada" or "Canada Girl", and when making my name here I got lazy and didn't think people would get the joke if I put something like "Bunny" or "Beaver" since those both were my other nicknames. I wanted my hockey knowledge to show through rather than have it clouded by a name that would make people wonder about me.

How did you get the nickname Beaver??

canadahockeygirl*
09-27-2003, 09:34 AM

It was my sorority name. We can just leave it at that. :)

Histrion
09-27-2003, 09:45 AM
I don't even know why I have this nickname... it is ugly though.

Leaf Lander
09-27-2003, 12:51 PM
My nick honour the spirit in which dougie gilmour plays hockey

buzzard
09-27-2003, 01:27 PM
It means that I'm just a crazy old bird. :lol:

#37-#93-#27*
09-27-2003, 01:35 PM
Just use your imagination. ;) I did.

gmdevils
09-27-2003, 01:40 PM
I am in fact Lou Lamoriello.

Except for the fact that I can't ever remember how to even spell the name. So I just pretend that I am him.

BROADSTREETBULLY
09-27-2003, 02:58 PM
..grew up in the 70's as a Flyer fan..i was kinda shocked when it wasnt taken..my first choice was gone(GUINNESS)...