Five Assigned To Manitoba

fergo
09-25-2003, 01:04 PM
G Rob McVicar, RW Justin Morrison, C Chris Nielsen, C Brandon Nolan, and D Rene Vydareny.

http://www.moosehockey.com/news/press_releases2.php?press_id=28

jeffbrown
09-25-2003, 01:10 PM
G Rob McVicar, RW Justin Morrison, C Chris Nielsen, C Brandon Nolan, and D Rene Vydareny.

http://www.moosehockey.com/news/press_releases2.php?press_id=28

Thanks for the info. Not really surprising.

Morrison-don't know too much about his camp performance, but some of you had said that he doesn't get the respsect from coaches in Van

McVicar-played very well in exhibition, but doomed from the start with Clout, Hed, Auld, and possibly Moss ahead of him

Nielsen-I actually didn't know he was still Canucks property!

Nolan-Cooke/Bouck mold player was destined to play a year or two in the minors anyways.

Vydareny-sounds like he had an ordinary camp (where's the magic of his 2000 camp?) and continues to slip down the depth chart. Quickly going from prospect to suspect.

Waveburner
09-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Does that mean Nolan has a contract? Interesting...he has already said he won't play in the ECHL...is he good enough to make the Moose? There is an awful lot of forward depth down there...

fergo
09-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Does that mean Nolan has a contract? Interesting...he has already said he won't play in the ECHL...is he good enough to make the Moose? There is an awful lot of forward depth down there...
Doesn't necessarily mean he has a contract. Tomas Mojzis went to Moose camp last year without a contract, and ended up back in Seattle. Jason King also attended Moose camp last season without a contract, but after scoring four goals in two preseason games, he basically forced the Canucks' hand and he received a contract. :)

As for where he'll end up......he'll have a tough time cracking the top 11 in Manitoba. Ahead of him are Kavanagh, Ready*, Komarniski*, Reid, King, Fedorov, Morrison, Nathan Smith, Bouck, Jimmy Roy, and Nielsen*. Add in Ryan Kesler (who played quite impressively when I saw him play), and it's a tough mountain to climb for Nolan (as well as Schultz and anyone else who tries out at forward in Manitoba). So either he'll have to bite the bullet and report to Columbia (if it comes to that), or go back to the OHL. I don't think he'll get a ton of ice time in Manitoba unless he has a really good camp.