Finland - What's cool there ?

Mathletic
09-25-2003, 03:50 PM
I have to do an oral presentation about this country, and I would like to know what's cool about that country

Vyacheslav
09-25-2003, 03:56 PM
I smell a homework jihad.

evman150*
09-25-2003, 04:04 PM
What's cool in [Finland]?

The weather.

:p

Mathletic
09-25-2003, 04:12 PM
The weather.

:p

except that ... I thought I could present the history of metal in Finland but I don't have any sources

Plager05
09-25-2003, 04:32 PM
except that ... I thought I could present the history of metal in Finland but I don't have any sources

The history of metal?

:lol:

Just clicked, I guess you mean it in the musical sense.

Mathletic
09-25-2003, 04:35 PM
The history of metal?

:lol:

Just clicked, I guess you mean it in the musical sense.

obviously

ginner classic
09-25-2003, 04:44 PM
I have to do an oral presentation about this country, and I would like to know what's cool about that country

I can think of one thing and one think only......Olut!!!!

Seriously, the women are fantastic, I've been there five times and would go every year, lots of inland lakes, SAUNAS, hockey obviously, pickled herring, these really tasty fruits called cloudberry..... looks like a salmonberry only better, did I mention the women? Opera festival in Savonlinna, great history between Russia and Sweden as a occupied country, great sailing and sailors, vodka, women, no real mountains to speak of, laplanders and reindeer in the north (no santa claus unfortunately)....list is endless man...screw the paper, I suggest an educational field trip.

Mathletic
09-25-2003, 04:51 PM

Seriously, the women are fantastic, I've been there five times and would go every year, lots of inland lakes, SAUNAS, hockey obviously, pickled herring, these really tasty fruits called cloudberry..... looks like a salmonberry only better, did I mention the women? Opera festival in Savonlinna, great history between Russia and Sweden as a occupied country, great sailing and sailors, vodka, women, no real mountains to speak of, laplanders and reindeer in the north (no santa claus unfortunately)....list is endless man...screw the paper, I suggest an educational field trip.

I for sure will go there someday, but I have to do this paper first ... unfortunately ...

Dr_Chimera*
09-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Hockey!

This year's world junior championships will be there.

Legionnaire
09-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Hockey!

This year's world junior championships will be there.

I would think this would be the easiest as well. I mean you're posting at a hockey site FSU. Why don't you do the paper on Finland's top prospects and the fact that they are an emerging force in international hockey competitions. Even if it's not totally true, how many people are going to know.

Riddarn
09-25-2003, 07:53 PM
Switching to swedish bigot mode.

What is cool in finland:
Hockey
Vodka/Beer/Misc Alcohol
Tango
Moomin
Knife fights
Sauna

:D

Magnus Fulgur
09-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Finns are good at:

Getting hot and then cooling off
Holding back the Russian Army
Pretending to be American style rockers
Alcoholism and Deep Dank Dark Depression
Impossible Grammar coupled with a limited Alphabet - and words that can only have the accent on the first syllable. Thanks for nothing!
Standing next to a Lake in the Middle of Nowhere hundreds of miles from a huge city
Building nice things that aren't very tall.
Cooking...um, stuff that's better than UK food. Comfort without guilt?
Mobile phones, cell phones, and personal communication devices.
Saku Koivu and other good hockey players with jolly names.

SISU!!! It's like Sweden but #(*$&#(&%)# whacky!!! It's like Moscow meets Omaha! :)

Jewelly
09-25-2003, 08:26 PM

Sucker! :lol:

Haute Couture
09-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Holding back the Russian Army

he he he.

Pas de funny.

dempsey_k*
09-25-2003, 08:30 PM
The bloody saunas, my god, everybody has one, it's like heaven.

It's also like Thailand in the respect that it's very, very clean.

Dr_Chimera*
09-25-2003, 08:34 PM
he he he.

Pas de funny.

We felt sorry for them, so we gave them some space.

dempsey_k*
09-25-2003, 08:36 PM
We felt sorry for them, so we gave them some space.

And we just love what you've done with Viipuri.

monkey_00*
09-25-2003, 09:13 PM

You're absolutely right about the Woman from Finland.........They are ALL beautiful....every single one of them.........It's as if it's against the Law to look Ugly over there.

dempsey_k*
09-25-2003, 09:23 PM
You're absolutely right about the Woman from Finland.........They are ALL beautiful....every single one of them.........It's as if it's against the Law to look Ugly over there.

Eh ? I've seen Finnish women who look like Persian men.

monkey_00*
09-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Eh ? I've seen Finnish women who look like Persian men.
Where?...........In Finland?

dempsey_k*
09-25-2003, 09:45 PM
Where?...........In Finland?

No, iiiinnn hongkong.

monkey_00*
09-25-2003, 09:48 PM
No, iiiinnn hongkong.
Actually............I like Asian women too.

Spiffy
09-26-2003, 10:18 AM
What makes the finnish women attractive are the natural high cheekbones (which is the #1 surgery models go for) the ugly women are usually germanics, no I am of course joking there are ugly chicks in any folk groups. History of metal? Not a real history there as it has developed in different parts of the country of different causes and then later on blended when Oulu people move to Helsinki.

In Helsinki surroundings you will most likely find jolly power metal along with a few darker bands.

In Oulu (the metal capital) you find mostly darker bands with gothic and/or black/death influences.

Then there is the curse that sets upon good bands...

Sentenced is a pretty clear example of how one band member leaving totally changes the band to worse (death/black/goth with Jarwa, Power/goth without him).

Make it easy by taking up Sentenced as an example of the development of metal bands in Finland. First there are some guys going on and they seem to be far off each other, but one man (Taneli Jarwa) pulls them together and Sentenced is burn as a hard and sorrow-filled band with guts. Jarwa wants to explore other bands and goes to non-serious goat oath band Impaled Nazarene where his talent is wasted. Sentenced hire a new bassist and a new vocalist (since Jarwa was the bassist/vocalist) and the band loses it's chemistry, the songs get happier and lighter (still all about them are about suicide or dying) and the band starts to become popular. The next step is presumed to be total pop transformation where they will play hammerfall like happy-happy songs. At this moment they still have some guts and still can play hard ("The Luxury of a grave" is a good example) but if they get softer it will mean their end.

Hope this helps...

PM me if you have questions.

Spiffy
09-26-2003, 10:30 AM
why didn't I automatically subscribe to this thread when I posted?

Spiffy
09-26-2003, 10:32 AM
SISU!!! It's like Sweden but #(*$&#(&%)# whacky!!! It's like Moscow meets Omaha! :)

LIKE SWEDEN!!! YOU'RE GOING TO GET FLAMED! WAIT UNTIL THE FINNISH MOB SEES THIS :lol:

:madfire:

Padawan
09-26-2003, 10:55 AM
LIKE SWEDEN!!! YOU'RE GOING TO GET FLAMED! WAIT UNTIL THE FINNISH MOB SEES THIS :lol:

Saw it and thinking of a good way to get even. That school work must mention our rivalry against the swedish people.

Evilo
09-26-2003, 11:44 AM
I love all the scandinavian girls. Danish, Swedes, Finns, etc...
all amazing.
What's worse is that I remember going there with some friends, and those stupid guys there were all in love with our "average" french girls.
Blind they were!
Ah we all love what we don't have, don't we?

Spiffy
09-26-2003, 11:47 AM
I love all the scandinavian girls. Danish, Swedes, Finns, etc...
all amazing.
What's worse is that I remember going there with some friends, and those stupid guys there were all in love with our "average" french girls.
Blind they were!
Ah we all love what we don't have, don't we? Not Finland nor Denmark is part of Scandinavia.

dempsey_k*
09-26-2003, 03:14 PM
PM me if you have questions.

You mean Finns know what music is now ? Coulda fooled me. Next thing you know they'll be dancing and cracking jokes .. then they just wouldn't be Finnish anymore, they'd be Swedish, and we all know how insipid that feeling is.

Vyacheslav
09-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Not Finland nor Denmark is part of Scandinavia.

Denmark is not Scandinavian? Don't be silly...

VO #23
09-26-2003, 05:58 PM
It's also like Thailand in the respect that it's very, very clean.

Nicely contrasted with how different they are compared to Thailand in that nasty little "child prostitution" department.

Vyacheslav
09-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Nicely contrasted with how different they are compared to Thailand in that nasty little "child prostitution" department.

Finland still has time to catch up, don't worry.

Magnus Fulgur
09-26-2003, 06:30 PM

LOL! I know, I was trying to be controversial...hey, my grandmother was from Finland and I've been there. The place rocks.

Ok, so it's like Maine with smart good-looking people. That should be more accurate, no?

Padawan
09-26-2003, 09:26 PM
You mean Finns know what music is now ? Coulda fooled me. Next thing you know they'll be dancing and cracking jokes .. then they just wouldn't be Finnish anymore, they'd be Swedish, and we all know how insipid that feeling is.

The difference is that most people understands the jokes told by a Finn and laugh at the jokes.

dempsey_k*
09-26-2003, 09:31 PM
The difference is that most people understands the jokes told by a Finn and laugh at the jokes.

I guess that explains why I'm so loved.

Jussi
09-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Title for FSU Seminoles' persentation: "Finland - the Rodney Dangerfield of countries".

IK
09-28-2003, 10:41 PM
Denmark is not Scandinavian? Don't be silly...

Depends on how you want to define Scandinavia.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/nordic/scn/faq21.html#2.1.3