GDT: QMJHL Midget Draft

plaugher
06-04-2005, 10:07 AM
EDIT: Important links:
- Listen to the Draft live (French) (http://www.webdiffuseur.qc.ca/huskies/)
- Pick-by-pick info from the Q site (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index.php?page=457745124&id_seance=4&sortkey=rd)
- Q site article on Bourret trade (http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index.php?page=232&id_nouvelle=774)

Early start to the day, but it's underway nonetheless.

Might as well put the draft discussion, any trades that occur, etc. in this thread.

Saint John makes Antigonish Bulldogs defenseman Alex Grant the first overall pick in the draft. Third straight Nova Scotian to be taken with the first pick (Crosby in 2003, James Sheppard in 2004).

Rimouski is on the clock, to finish the round.

EDIT: Will only post round-by-round updates from now on, unless something big comes through. Cheers.

Round 1:
1. SJE : Alex Grant, D, Antigonish (16)
2. BAT (fr SJN) : Mathieu Perreault, C, Magog (17)
3. GAT : Colin Escott, W, Northern Mass Cyclones (16)
4. SJN (fr BAT) : Jean-Simon Allard, C, Jonquière (16)
5. PEI : Stephen Lund, D, Dartmouth (16)
6. CB (fr BAC) : Scott Brannon, W, Pictou Weeks (16)
7. VIC : Keven Guerette-Charland, W, Magog (16)
8. DRU : Nicolas Sigouin, D, Amos (17)
9. LEW : Kevin Marshall, D, C-C Lemoyne (16)
10. BAC (fr CB) : Maxime Ouimet, D, LLL, (17)
11. QUE (fr VDO) : Angelo Esposito, C, Shattuck St. Mary's (16)
12. LEW (fr SHA) : Patrick Cusack, D, Girouard (16)
13. ROU : Marc-Antoine Desnoyers, D, Amos (16)
14. MON : Nicolas Riopel, G, Girouard (16)
15. GAT : Brad Tesink, D, Saint John (16)
16. CHI : Gabriel Carle, D, Outaouais Espoirs (16)
17. HAL : Ben MaCaskill, D, Cape Breton West (16)
18. RIM : Maxime Macenauer, C, Montpetit (16)

Trades:
- BAT trades 4th overall, and 2006 1st to SJN for 2nd overall.
- CB trades Samuel Beland and 10th overall to BAC for 6th overall and 28th overall
- Quebec trades Bobby Nadeau and 2005 3rd and 2006 1st to VDO for 11th overall, with VDO trading the Quebec package to Drummondville for Henrick Lavoie.
- Lewiston trades Alex Bourret to Shawinigan for 12th overall pick, a 2006 2nd, and Stephano Gigliati.
- Rimouski trades Danny Stewart to PEI for 33rd overall
- PEI trades Billy Bezeau (2005 eligible) and 67th overall to Bathurst for Simon Bolduc (2005 eligible), Nicolas Leduc, and 101st overall

plaugher
06-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Bathurst trades up to snag shifty centreman Mathieu Perreault with the second pick. He played last year with Magog.

TMHUNH
06-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Bathurst trades up to snag shifty centreman Mathieu Perreault with the second pick. He played last year with Magog.

How many different top 5 picks do they need to own before they decide where they want to pick?? :biglaugh:

Did they need to trade up to nab Perreault? He seems small and is a 17 year old. :dunno: But I don't know how this was supposed to shake down, so maybe he was the 2nd best player?

plaugher
06-04-2005, 10:28 AM
How many different top 5 picks do they need to own before they decide where they want to pick?? :biglaugh:

Did they need to trade up to nab Perreault? He seems small and is a 17 year old. :dunno: But I don't know how this was supposed to shake down, so maybe he was the 2nd best player?

Was still editing things on the front page, hence the loads of Bathurst picks.

Can't get access to last season's stats, and not too familiar with him, so can't say what they were thinking. Will keep looking around. Still haven't found out what they traded either. Wish I could be listening to it, but am supposed to be working. ;)

EDIT: Update on Perreault... dangerous scorer, but small. Bathurst GM equated him to being a Daniel Briere-type player, apparently. But probably would have been around at #4.

turnbuckle*
06-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Gatineau picks Colin Escott from Mass. Jr. B. He was rated in the second round by CSS.

A bit of a surprise?

TMHUNH
06-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Was still editing things on the front page, hence the loads of Bathurst picks.

Can't get access to last season's stats, and not too familiar with him, so can't say what they were thinking. Will keep looking around. Still haven't found out what they traded either. Wish I could be listening to it, but am supposed to be working. ;)

I only meant that it is funny that they traded from 3 to 11 then up to 4 then to 2. Just seems like they couldn't make up their mind.

Although....I am interested to see what they gave up to St. John's. It seems like a great move that they got a few great players from Gatineau to trade out of #3, only to jump right back over the top of them, assumedly without giving up too much, since St. Johns only moved back 2 spots and likely still got who they targeted all along. Great moves by both teams, hopefully Gatineau didn't get screwed.

TMHUNH
06-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Gatineau picks Colin Escott from Mass. Jr. B. He was rated in the second round by CSS.

A bit of a surprise?

It is a surprise to me considering what they gave up to trade up to that spot, but the likely scenario is that no one else above them was interested in trading down to 11, so they had to go all the way up to #3 to get a guy who may be a bit of a reach in the top 5, but may not have lasted until either 11 or 15, even though he is ranked at #20.

A lot of these guys will get picked before they are ranked due to a lot of players (Espo, Malone, Guerette-Charlad, Danis-Pepin etc. being recruited by NCAA teams).

turnbuckle*
06-04-2005, 10:44 AM
I hear you, but we're talking about the third overall pick here. Allard (the top ranked Quebecer), for instance, was picked next - if he'll play on the rock I'm sure he'd play in Gatineau.

But who am I to question Gatineau's drafting prowess?

Obviously the Gatineau scouts liked what they saw in Escott - he's 6-3 already; sounds like a power forward-type in the making.

TMHUNH
06-04-2005, 10:48 AM
I hear you, but we're talking about the third overlal pick here. Allard (the top ranked Quebecer), for instance, was picked next - if he'll play on the rock I'm sure he'd play in Gatineau.

But who am I to question Gatineau's drafting prowess?

Obviously the Gatineau scouts liked what they saw in Escott - he's 6-3 already; sounds like a power forward-type in the making.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Escott's size has to play into the process. It seems like St. Johns really made out with Allard.

Cape Breton trades up....wonder who they have their eye on.

The kid that intrigues me is Gabriel Carle. I have no idea how he plays, but his birthdate alone makes it so that he can play 3 seasons without even being drafted. Certainly gives him the advantage over 88s like Perrault

TMHUNH
06-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the radio link Phil.....

I dont understand that much French, but from what I hear it seems like the radio is way ahead of the internet updates. I think we are at pick 11 right now.

plaugher
06-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the radio link Phil.....

I dont understand that much French, but from what I hear it seems like the radio is way ahead of the internet updates. I think we are at pick 11 right now.
Yeah, the Q site doesn't seem to want to update the draft picks, so I'm trying to fill things in as I go. Expect sporadic updates until this problem is remedied.

Cape Breton moved Beland and a couple of picks to move up. They'd been rumoured to be after Brannon. Guess that they figured he wouldn't fall. Beland at 20 wasn't in their plans next year

turnbuckle*
06-04-2005, 11:03 AM
the internet draft site is stuck on the fourth pick. thanks for the updates Phil, wherever you're getting them.

Joe Canadian
06-04-2005, 11:03 AM
So from what I hearing from you guys St. John's got a quality pick with Allard? Is he someone that can anchor a team?

And does anyone know what else the Fog Devils got from Bathurst in the trade?

turnbuckle*
06-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Guerette-Charland goes 7th overall to Vic. You heard he was leaning towards NCAA, TMH?

TMHUNH
06-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Guerette-Charland goes 7th overall to Vic. You heard he was leaning towards NCAA, TMH?

No...I only said he was being recruited....so we can assume he was undecided. But being picked that high likely means he is Q bound.

On that note....sounds like Esposito was just picked.

plaugher
06-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Looks like Quebec is making a big three-way deal to get the 11th pick. Perhaps to pick Esposito?

To VDO: Henrick Lavoie (DRU)
TO DRU: Bobby Nadeau (QUE), 2005 3rd
To QUE: 11th overall

That's what I've gathered from a French forum...

Q site updates (or lack thereof) seem universal... :shakehead

EDIT: Esposito pick confirmed... so much for NCAA!

Joe Canadian
06-04-2005, 11:12 AM
On that note....sounds like Esposito was just picked.

Why would someone waste a pick on someone who has all but committed to the US College route?

turnbuckle*
06-04-2005, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't say this guarantees that he'll play in the Q, does it? He wouldn't be the first first rounder that shuns the CHL.

Duff88
06-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Did Lewiston just trade Bourret for Shawinigan's 1st round pick.

plaugher
06-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Did Lewiston just trade Bourret for Shawinigan's 1st round pick.

So says the Radoter forum! Quite the pick up for the Cats. I'd heard Bathurst was inquiring as well.

Lewiston snags Patrick Cusack, D, Girouard.

TMHUNH
06-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Why would someone waste a pick on someone who has all but committed to the US College route?

Because like so many before him....he bluffed his intentions so they he could pick where he wanted to play. Similar to the way Lecavalier bluffed his way onto Rimouski....not a coincidence that Lecavalier's brother is Espo's agent.

And mark my words...Espo will play in the Q. You think a kid who grew up in Montreal can't be convinced by Patty Roy?

So at least he goes to my favorite Q team...but this is a sad sad day for UNH hockey. I think I may have jimxed it by putting on my Remparts shirt when I got out of the shower this morning. :madfire:

TMHUNH
06-04-2005, 11:23 AM
So says the Radoter forum! Quite the pick up for the Cats. I'd heard Bathurst was inquiring as well.

Lewiston snags Patrick Cusack, D, Girouard.

So Lewiston trades the guy who could very well be the league's best player next year to pick a kid ranked in the 3rd round??? You have to be kidding me. I was fearing the worst when they kept saying Bourret's name on the radio feed.

Duff88
06-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Marc-Antoine Desnoyers picked by Rouyn-Noranda

Nicolas Riopel picked by Moncton

plaugher
06-04-2005, 11:26 AM
So Lewiston trades the guy who could very well be the league's best player next year to pick a kid ranked in the 3rd round??? You have to be kidding me. I was fearing the worst when they kept saying Bourret's name on the radio feed.
I know. I'm quite surprised too.

I'd have to assume there is more than just that heading your way. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the young defensemen, or a pick or two are coming back.

My French is pretty pitiful too.

Looks like the site is updating again, though! Caught up to Esposito.

Joe Canadian
06-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Any word on the Bath-STJ's trade yet?

Chootoi
06-04-2005, 11:42 AM
this whole NCAA/QMJHL mind game is getting out way out of hand. there needs to be some sort of letter of intent rule, bottom line. this is absolutely sickening

SPORTSMANIAC
06-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Rumors have been flying around lewiston that Bourret would be dealt. Two teams that had been rumored was Drummondville for Latendresse or to the Voltiguer

plaugher
06-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Any word on the Bath-STJ's trade yet?

I think it is:
To STJ: 4th overall, 2006 1st
To BAT: 2nd overall

I heard that there might have been a 2nd rounder involved as well, but if it is, it is an '06 pick.

turnbuckle*
06-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Because like so many before him....he bluffed his intentions so they he could pick where he wanted to play. Similar to the way Lecavalier bluffed his way onto Rimouski....not a coincidence that Lecavalier's brother is Espo's agent.

And mark my words...Espo will play in the Q. You think a kid who grew up in Montreal can't be convinced by Patty Roy?

So at least he goes to my favorite Q team...but this is a sad sad day for UNH hockey. I think I may have jimxed it by putting on my Remparts shirt when I got out of the shower this morning. :madfire:

Angelo was all of six years old when Sir Roy 'shunned" the Habs., I'd hardly say it's a given that he grew up a Roy fan; in fact it could be quite the opposite. If he was a goalie I'd say the odds were better that he remained a Roy fan when he demanded to be traded, but I hardly think that every 16-year-old Montrealer grew up big Patrick Roy fans.

I still don't think he's a lock to play in the Q next season; As I stated earlier, there are plenty of first rounders picked even higher that have passed on the CHL in recent years.

Joe Canadian
06-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Looking at some draft preview news articles I'm really suprised Escott went where he did... He was rated 20th by the Q scouting, and 8th by the ISS... but he went 3rd.

So now I have my doubts that the Fog Devils got what they wanted... they moved down maybe because they thought the hometown boy, Escott, wouldn't go in the first 3 picks. There was talk they wanted him but were unlikely to pick him with the 2nd pick, and he wouldn't be around in the second round.

But... if Allard is a better player, it doesn't matter much... I'm curious though as to why he went so high.

VOB
06-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Angelo was all of six years old when Sir Roy 'shunned" the Habs., I'd hardly say it's a given that he grew up a Roy fan; in fact it could be quite the opposite. If he was a goalie I'd say the odds were better that he remained a Roy fan when he demanded to be traded, but I hardly think that every 16-year-old Montrealer grew up big Patrick Roy fans.

I still don't think he's a lock to play in the Q next season; As I stated earlier, there are plenty of first rounders picked even higher that have passed on the CHL in recent years.

This could be very similiar to what Moncton did a few years back when they took Pineualt. It was a huge gamble on their part that did not pay off until Pineault decided to leave B.C.
The difference here though is the Roy factor and you had better believe that he is still wildly popular not only in Montreal but the entire province of Quebec.

Esposito is a good player but I think he is a tad over rated. Some have suggested to me that the two top rated NHL players to come from this class will be Grant and Lund.

TMHUNH
06-04-2005, 12:37 PM
This could be very similiar to what Moncton did a few years back when they took Pineualt. It was a huge gamble on their part that did not pay off until Pineault decided to leave B.C.
The difference here though is the Roy factor and you had better believe that he is still wildly popular not only in Montreal but the entire province of Quebec.

Esposito is a good player but I think he is a tad over rated. Some have suggested to me that the two top rated NHL players to come from this class will be Grant and Lund.

It doesn't seem like a gamble to me...

I might still had a shard of hope if a team like Quebec or anyone else seemingly took a flyer on Espo similar to a Pineault move. But the fact that the Remparts didn't even have a first (or second) round pick, and traded up to grab Espo is what seals the deal for me. That doesn't seem like behavior of a team that is just taking a chance. Esposito is Quebec bound IMO.

turnbuckle*
06-04-2005, 12:52 PM
It doesn't seem like a gamble to me...

I might still had a shard of hope if a team like Quebec or anyone else seemingly took a flyer on Espo similar to a Pineault move. But the fact that the Remparts didn't even have a first (or second) round pick, and traded up to grab Espo is what seals the deal for me. That doesn't seem like behavior of a team that is just taking a chance. Esposito is Quebec bound IMO.

That is a good point, and I have no doubt that roy and co. were in touch with the Espositos over the past year on more than one occasion. it looks like he will likely end up in Quebec at some point, but not necessarily next season.

BTW, for the previous poster - I live in Quebec. I never said he didn't have fans in Quebec, but put it this way; there are just as many that dislike him as like him where I'm from (and I'm 3 hours from Montreal), particularly when it comes to Hab fans. There are hundreds of thousands of Hab fans that never forgave him for his stunt back in 1995. More than a few were also not impressed that he chose a peewee hockey tournament over representing his country; again, not something that every Montreal area hockey fan was thrilled about. IMO not every kid from Montreal is enamoured with Roy, and I feel my reasoning is pretty sound.

Despite this, it certainly looks like Roy managed to "pull some strings", time will tell.

Chootoi
06-04-2005, 01:25 PM
almost end of rd. 4 and no one has taken 6'6" D Simon Pepin-Danis (ranked 9th) yet. is he "planning" to go NCAA also?

turnbuckle*
06-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Bathurst picked Malone in the fourth round

TMHUNH
06-04-2005, 01:38 PM
almost end of rd. 4 and no one has taken 6'6" D Simon Pepin-Danis (ranked 9th) yet. is he "planning" to go NCAA also?

Yeah. That is why he is still on the board. I haven't heard that he is definitely going either way, but he is at least heavily considering the NCAA at this point. Brad Malone lasted until recently and he is supposedly 100 percent NCAA bound. The fact that Biega is still out there should mean the same for him as well.

X-SHARKIE
06-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Moncton has a good goalie in Riopel from what I gather.

Alex Grant is going to be one heck of a defenseman as well.

Thanks for updating this thread! I appreciate it.

Taupy
06-04-2005, 05:22 PM
The Fog Devils (i hate that name) made a good choice in the 4th round by drafting Maxime Dubuc. He's a good offensive defenseman, but in his own end, he's not perfect, but he's not bad either.

Marco Corleone
06-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Anyone have any info on Stephen Lund?

PEI picked him with the 5th pick....

I heard he loves the physical side of the game but thats all I heard.

:help:

Newfie Bruin
06-05-2005, 02:47 PM
The Fog Devils (i hate that name) made a good choice in the 4th round by drafting Maxime Dubuc. He's a good offensive defenseman, but in his own end, he's not perfect, but he's not bad either.

Actually, the fog devils drafted Matt Boland in the 4th. I think the S.Dogs took Dubuc

Joe Canadian
06-05-2005, 08:45 PM
(i hate that name)

That's super!

LaLaLaprise
06-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Looking at some draft preview news articles I'm really suprised Escott went where he did... He was rated 20th by the Q scouting, and 8th by the ISS... but he went 3rd.

So now I have my doubts that the Fog Devils got what they wanted... they moved down maybe because they thought the hometown boy, Escott, wouldn't go in the first 3 picks. There was talk they wanted him but were unlikely to pick him with the 2nd pick, and he wouldn't be around in the second round.

But... if Allard is a better player, it doesn't matter much... I'm curious though as to why he went so high.

He had a good CSR, that can do a lot for the draft stock, as PA Poulin.