Tonite's Game: Panthers at Mighty Ducks

Coolburn
09-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Starting goalies were Giguere and Mason.

Anaheim started the scoring off on the PP with an ex-Panther netting the goal (Ozolinsh from Fedorov). Kolnik ties it up in the first period at 1 apiece. Looks like Kolnik knows he's fighting for a job and knows what he needs to do. Anaheim's draft pick this yr, Getzlaf, picks up the next goal, assisted by another former Cat in Niedermayer. Anaheim got another goal in the 2nd period and Niedermayer gets another assist. Messier puts the Cats back on the board with Hoglund getting his 2nd assist on the night and Horton also assisting on the goal (gotta love to see Hoglund playing well in his first game as a Cat). And Niedermayer keeps up his excellent play with the Ducks as he scores the 4th goal from Anaheim (Getzlaf assisting on this one along with Prospal). As much as many of us FL fans knocked Nieds, he's definitely resurrecting his career in Anaheim. Of note, FL is as usual getting outshot thru 2 periods (19-29).

Coolburn
09-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Forgot to add that Hordichuk has received 2 fighting majors in the game thus far. And it looks like Nieds also assisted on the 1st goal by Anaheim. Also looks like Hoglund didn't assist on the Messier goal but instead it was Bednar that recorded the assist. Another guy that knows his job is on the line and he's performing when it counts. Looks like Hagman's & Novo's days as a Panther are over and thats unfortunate.

Coolburn
09-26-2003, 08:35 PM
And Horton pots another goal this preseason unassisted. I guess he's just creating his own chances and making the other team pay for it. If he keeps this up, I don't see why he won't make the team. And when I thought the 2 misfits weren't going to show up, Hagman scores with an assist from Novo to tie the game up at 4. The last cuts should be quite interesting.

m2k2p
09-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Forgot to add that Hordichuk has received 2 fighting majors in the game thus far. And it looks like Nieds also assisted on the 1st goal by Anaheim. Also looks like Hoglund didn't assist on the Messier goal but instead it was Bednar that recorded the assist. Another guy that knows his job is on the line and he's performing when it counts. Looks like Hagman's & Novo's days as a Panther are over and thats unfortunate.

according to Nhl.com the Panthers have tied it. Horton got an unassisted goal and speaking of Hagman and Novo....Hagman tied the game on an assist from Novo.

Coolburn
09-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Its a final 4-4 tie. I wonder what happens now with who's gonna make the team.

m2k2p
09-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Its a final 4-4 tie. I wonder what happens now with who's gonna make the team.

Looks like Messier and Biron had a good game. Both a +2 . Horton scored on his only shot of the game on the powerplay and an assist. He was a +1. I am not sure who will be cut, but it is good to see our guys(most who are the bubble) compete well against basically all of the Ducks starters. Good preseason thus far. I think Horton is making a strong case with his play it sounds. Mason sounds like he had a strong game with 35 saves

Crossbar
09-26-2003, 09:42 PM
Horton is turning out to be a good clutch player for us! We are reaping the benefits of having powerforwards in the lineup I really hope Horton and Stewart both make the team, IMO it would be too much pressure for just 1 of them to do all the workload of a powerforward but having both of them in the lineup would help ease the pressure down on both of them on a night to night basis and it seems like our Euros perform better when one of them is on their line. Mason is showing he can compete as a backup, if a good offer is out there that we can't refuse I wouldn't mind risking trading Hurme away. As for Kolnik, Hagman, Novo, and Shvidki its going to be hard to choose who to protect!! :confused:
IMO protect Hagman and Kolnik and expose/trade Novo and Shvidki.

sting_fan
09-27-2003, 06:17 AM
It looks as though Novoseltsev had the winning goal disallowed because of an extremely fast whistle.

Looks as though both Hagman and Novoseltsev both have pretty good games.

Jerky Leclerc
09-27-2003, 06:46 AM
In the LA Times today, it mentioned Hagman being offerred to Anaheim but the Ducks weren't interested at this time. Any ideas what Dudley was asking for?

Thewbacca
09-27-2003, 07:26 AM
Was it a rumor? I don't wan't to add on to the rumor so I can't think of what he would be asking for in return. It could be possible that both Novo and Hagman will get picked up soon with the way they played Friday.

m2k2p
09-27-2003, 09:13 AM
Russo also mentioned in the Sentinel that Hagman was offered to the Ducks and rejected . I wonder what the offer was.

patastrophe
10-01-2003, 12:53 AM
i am a panthers fan living in los angeles and i went to this game, before going to vegas that night for frozen fury at the mgm grand on saturday.

it sucks that this was all the panthers hockey ill get to see live this year, but thats the way the cookie crumbles, and this was a hell of a game.

i know this is late, but i was out of town and then had to work. here are a few players that stood out, good and bad:

horton: WOW! he was everywhere, contrary to reports of him floating til he got his goal. he skated well, took the body, won a few draws against fedorov when weiss wasnt matched up on him, and his goal was an absolute thing of beauty. almost as exciting, he was involved in almost every scrum that occurred while he was on the ice...something us panthers fans havent seen out of our guys in a while.

stewart: invisible. seemed intimidated. avoided traffic, which is supposed to be out of character for him. his lack of drive may have something to do with skating with macdonald and kolnik after hordichuk left the game.

kolnik: looked good, but his small size had him bogged down a little bit in the third. his goal was great stuff. hard work to get there, and then a real good shot to put it in.

mason: one of the finer goalie performances ive seen in a long time. this guy is our THIRD stringer? only one of the goals against could really be blamed on him, and after all the rubber he faced in the first two periods it would make sense for him to be worn out. its official, the panthers have some of the best goaltending in the league. (although aebischer from colorado put on an absolute clinic against l.a. saturday night, dont be misled by the 3-1 score...the avs gave up 48 shots) makes me wonder what took mason so long to develop. he knocked around for a good long while before he stuck in san antonio

hagman: was everywhere, in traffic, in the slot, in peoples faces...he REALLY doesnt want to go to san antonio.

novoseltsev: if this guy could just finish hed be a 50/50 man. he created numerous chances but his cement hands ruined them all. he did get robbed by a mysterious no goal. the papers are all saying it was a quick whistle, but we were there...the goal was in the net, the goal light was on, and five seconds later the refs waved it off. apparently it was one of those instances where the ref "meant" to blow the whistle but couldnt.

odelein and hoglund: rusty. hoglund less so. has his legs, but his playmaking and his shot are lagging a bit. odelein showed good heart trying to fight that monster burnett. speaking of burnett, in his first two fights with odelein and hordichuk he showed a total lack of class. jerking the smaller players off their feet and then punching down on them while they had their back on the ice. i was surprised later on when he and darcy fought again...he one punched him cleanly...saw that hordichuk was hurt and backed off. darcy got his a** handed to him in that second fight.

as a team the difference between the first/second and third periods was night and day. we looked tentative and i kept wondering when someone was going to ask fedorov for his autograph. in the third they came out screaming and battled and got good results. it says something about our kids that we iced our rookies and scrubs, and fought back for a tie against the western conf. champions more or less reg. season lineup.

Heimy
10-01-2003, 06:12 AM
Great first post patastrophe! :handclap:

Welcome to the board!

m2k2p
10-01-2003, 06:21 AM
Nice post patastrophe. I heard Hordichuk has beaten Burnett several times in the minors pretty well. I guess Hordi had a bad night. I think Stewart was probably in awe of who he was playing too much. He did'nt seem that tentative in the scrimmages I saw. I think he probably needs more time in Juniors though most likely. Horton seems like the real deal right now and I hope we can sign him.

evildreams
10-01-2003, 06:47 AM
its official, the panthers have some of the best goaltending in the league.

whoooooooooooa; slow down!

patastrophe
10-01-2003, 11:18 PM
thanks for the compliments. oddly enough i just read that mason was exposed for the waiver draft after his performance friday.

as far as the league-wide goaltending comment, i stand by it. luongo is widely regarded as knocking on the door to elite, and hurme would be a starter on some teams. if mason is as consistently good as he was friday, thats a pretty frickin strong trio.

patastrophe
10-01-2003, 11:31 PM
oh and i almost forgot...i dont know much about burnett's junior record or anything. i just wanted to make clear he didnt win the first two fights (odelien and hordichuk 1) he used his size advantage to wrestle people off their feet and then hit them when they couldnt defend themselves. he didnt even bother to punch til they were on their backs, he just wrestled. now thats fine if youre in the ufc or vale tudo or some kind of no holds fighting. but in a hockey fight that ain't cool, and it makes you look scared. that was compounded by winning the third fight so cleanly. if you can fight that well...why bother with the donald brashear school of hockey fighting wrestling tactics?

he's definitely far less ridiculous than sawyer, aneheim's last enforcer. i mean, when kip brennan knocks your d*ck in the dirt, and brad norton one punches you and possibly ends your career in the same game, maybe you should be looking into the agitator role as opposed to enforcer.