Help with final 23

louisleftwing
09-26-2003, 08:43 PM
I haven't been able to follow camp quite as much this year as some previously. From what I have pieced together, this is what/who the stories/guys making good impressions are?...

Lemieux (lock)
Straka (lock)
Morozov (lock)
McKenna (lock)
Buchberger (lock)
Eastwood (lock)
Holzinger (haven't heard much on him, but he has a spot I think)
R. Fata (very impressive in the pre-season)
Koltsov (having a dynamic camp)
Murley (showing valuable skill)
Malone (using size effectively and doing the little things)
Kostopoulos (Edzo has a spot of softness?)
Meloche (I haven't heard, but doesn't Edzo like him?)

and a 14th spot is up in the air between Kraft (uninspired, but could be lost for nothing), Abid (unimpressive, but must clear waivers), and Bradley (what's been happening with him, he'd have to clear waivers, too). So, are two of these three guys really going down and if so, which two?

On D...

Bergevin (lock)
Tarnstrom (lock)
Melichar (lock)
Rozsival (lock)
Berehowsky (lock)

Now would Orpik (I've read mixed reports on him) and Focht (in line with expectations) have the other two spots locked up if all were healthy, or is someone else standing out?

And in goal it's Caron and Aubin or Fleury (the best goalie of camp and an ever-present wildcard).

This would be a surprising line-up. Summed up by disappointments and surprises...

DISAPPOINTMENTS - Bradley, Kraft, Abid, Sivek, Beech, Aubin, and Caron

SURPRISES - Bissonnette, Chiodo, Fleury, Koltsov, Murley, Armstrong, and Malone

Is this 23 man roster close?

Doofis_L_Hipster
09-26-2003, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't label Caron a disappointment. He has been labeled the #1 goalie by management (by way of the one-way, longterm contract) but you have to remember the guy has 7 wins in the NHL and before last year wasn't anything but a long-term project.

Jacob
09-27-2003, 12:08 AM
Steigy said during the game today that Bradley has been impressive. I think he isn't talked about much by fans because he's pretty much the forgotten player since he hasn't played a single game with us. And the coaching staff and media aren't bringing up his name because he's pretty much a lock to make the team. He can play, he's Dan Lacouture with hockey sense.

To me, in fact, Bradley is the ultimate Edzo-type of player. Big, fast, gritty, defensively responsible. I figure he should be one of our top PKers.

Evilo
09-27-2003, 12:23 AM
Bradley isn't a dissapointment I think.
I still believe Kraft and Beech will make it and be given a chance.
Abid too.
If they don't turn their play around, then they might go through waivers...

The Tang
09-27-2003, 07:50 AM
nice to hear tat bradley is doing good.

i also dont think its fair to call Caron a dissapointment for two reasons.

1) he had a bad game last night, and as the roster becomes smaller, we can pay more attention to those left instead of spreading it over 54 guys like before. everyone is allowed a bad game or two.

2) the media is so geared towards fleury and how good he has done it seems teh other goalies not only do not ge near teh press coverage, but also arent having everything good about them hyped.

just as an example, the 2004 draft. i've heard all the great things about ovechkin. the russian dynamo, future superstar etc. but you know what, i dont know one other name that will be in the draft next year. media hype contributes more than you think.

Evilo
09-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Schremp.
You surely know him.
The tema finishing second in the lottery shouldn't be too dissapointed (though they probably will) with him.
Tukkonen is a guy I like a lot, but shouldn't be top 5.

Koltsov71
09-27-2003, 09:44 AM
Evgeni Malkin, Rostislav Olesz, and Cam Barker round out the rest of the top five.

Evilo
09-27-2003, 09:52 AM
Olesz will be something I'm telling you.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-27-2003, 10:03 AM
I heard that Schremp really needs to mature (mentally). :dunno:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Olesz is supposed to be the best young Czech since Jagr.

Koltsov71
09-27-2003, 10:08 AM
All five are very solid guys, but alot can change in a year. I am a draft guru, so I can't wait to see how things are looking for top 20 next year.

DJ Spinoza
09-27-2003, 10:13 AM
Koltsov, where does Tukonen fit in as of now. Top 10?:dunno:

It's early for this talk, but it's pretty fun anyways.:rolly:

Koltsov71
09-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Koltsov, where does Tukonen fit in as of now. Top 10?:dunno:

He is definitely capable of breaking into the Top 10, but right now I see him in the 10-15 range.

louisleftwing
09-27-2003, 06:18 PM
I've seen Bradley with the Sharks multiple times. I do agree that he is the type Edzo would look for. In fact, over the summer, I thought of him as a lock for the roster. That's why I listed him as a disappointment. No one is talking about him and I was assuming that he was playing his way off the roster.

DJ Spinoza
09-27-2003, 07:07 PM
He is definitely capable of breaking into the Top 10, but right now I see him in the 10-15 range.

Thanks, I was curious.