Con man makes off with $730K US Ferrari during test-drive:

chris_dub
09-27-2003, 09:47 AM
ARDMORE, Pa. (AP) - Where do you hide a $729,000 US Ferrari during rush hour?
That's what police in the Philadelphia suburbs want to know, after a con man drove off with a red Ferrari F50 during a test drive.

The same man may have grabbed two lower-end Ferraris from dealerships in North Carolina and New York state this year, police said.

The Ferrari F50 - which can hit 100 kilometres an hour in less than four seconds and tops out at 327 km/h - hasn't been seen since the Sept. 16 test drive at Algar Ferrari in Rosemont, Pa.

"One of these would attract attention anywhere, even in a crowd of Ferrari people," said Gerald Roush of suburban Atlanta, who publishes a Ferrari newsletter.

Police theorize it was hustled into a trailer and quickly shipped overseas for sale on the black market.

Ferrari made just 349 of the eye-popping Italian roadsters - described by one car-enthusiast Web site as "part Batmobile, part ballistic missile" - in 1995 to commemorate its 50th anniversary.

It was designed to be a street version of a Formula One race car.

The thief, a nattily dressed man who claimed he had flown up from Atlanta and had a limo waiting at the nearby Acme, Pa., took the test drive without producing a licence. The ID, he said, was in a wallet he had left with his secretary.

Claiming to be a wealthy businessman, he had called ahead about the car and produced someone else's proof of credit when he arrived, police said.

"He looked and acted rich. That's the type of clientele they get in there," said Det. Charles Craig, the lead investigator.

The car - No. 29 in the F50 series - had 7,564 kilometres on it and just one previous owner. The dealership bought it within the last year, said Roush, who tracks Ferrari sales, and the dealership owner, who did not want his name published.

The salesman first took the prospective buyer for a spin, then let him behind the wheel. During the test drive, the man stopped in front of a gated Villanova neighbourhood and asked the salesman if he would drive back to the dealership.

When the salesman got out, the thief sped off.

Police were summoned but never spotted the vehicle. Detectives believe he had help.

"This took a lot of planning," Craig said.

Now they're looking for the con man, described as a middle-aged, six-foot, slender white male with reddish-brown hair and glasses.

The description generally matches that of a supposed doctor who stole the other Ferraris.

http://www.mytelus.com/news_images/original/ferrarif50_1998_250.jpg

http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=world_home&articleID=1419817

#37-#93-#27*
09-27-2003, 09:51 AM
Great, now I'll never be able to drive a Ferrari in my life.

Douggy
09-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Remind anyone of Ferris Buhler?

Dr Love
09-27-2003, 01:32 PM
My buddy lives around the corner from that place [actually I'm headed over there later tonight], I've always wanted to take a test drive.....

dempsey_k*
09-27-2003, 01:49 PM
...and I'll give it back, but only for ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

beeker16
09-27-2003, 01:50 PM
someone's getting fired...

Blackjack
09-27-2003, 02:50 PM
My question is HOW THE **** DO YOU HAVE A FERRARI WITHOUT A LOWJACK?

That is all.

Douggy
09-27-2003, 03:23 PM
My question is HOW THE **** DO YOU HAVE A FERRARI WITHOUT A LOWJACK?

That is all.
Whats a lowjack?

Epoch
09-27-2003, 03:37 PM
what's the point of stealing this car?!The guy will be caught eventually.

XX
09-27-2003, 07:54 PM
what's the point of stealing this car?!The guy will be caught eventually.

If it isnt already been sold on the black market.

I dont get it with exotic cars, if you want performance you sure as hell dont need to spend 300,000 +

Wild Thing
09-27-2003, 08:35 PM

I dont get it with exotic cars, if you want performance you sure as hell dont need to spend 300,000 +

No kidding - you can easily pick up a mint condition mid-90's Lamborghini Diablo for just a quarter million or so. I'd have to be an idiot to spend $300,000 when I can get the same result for $250,000. I just can't afford to be that careless with my money!

ehc73
09-27-2003, 09:00 PM
...and I'll give it back, but only for ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

I believe you mean ONE BEEEEEELLION DOLLARS...wait...

XX
09-27-2003, 09:09 PM
No kidding - you can easily pick up a mint condition mid-90's Lamborghini Diablo for just a quarter million or so. I'd have to be an idiot to spend $300,000 when I can get the same result for $250,000. I just can't afford to be that careless with my money!

Give me 25 grand and Ill build a car that will *****slap anything in north america.

Epoch
09-27-2003, 09:12 PM

Black Market,that's the one shot this guy's got.

#37-#93-#27*
09-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Give me 25 grand and Ill build a car that will *****slap anything in north america.
Well, um, I always assumed people bought exotic cars because they were <i>exotic</i>.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
09-28-2003, 05:48 AM

I highly doubt it would pass air care. :lol:

XX
09-28-2003, 07:54 AM
I highly doubt it would pass air care. :lol:

Actually, it will pass the US sniff inspection but not visual (No cats, lot of people do it)

Yeah Exotic cars are Exotic, but I dont see anything special about them other than the nameplates.