Moncton Wildcats

Freaky Habs Fan
07-04-2005, 12:02 PM
I just want to know how good they can be next year. Bernier and Crowford are probably gone but Chris Bourque will had some offense to the team. Is Pineaut in Moncton for another year? They could for a great duo...and the addition of Ted Nolan behind the bench should be good for them...

ZombieMatt
07-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Gone: Corey Crawford and Steve Bernier (of importance)
Staying: (most likely) Bruce Graham-20, Nathan Saunder (possible staying), Martin Karsums, Adam Pineault, Oskars Bartulis, Stephane Goulet
Arriving: Chris Bourque

Crawford will be replaced by JC Blanchard, who put up pretty phenomenal numbers in limited action this past season. He is, in my opinion, one of the best 2006-eligible goaltenders in the world that I am aware of. That said, they will likely trade for a 19-year old (there are rumours that a deal is being talked about, but nothing confirmed that I'm aware of) to pressure him.

The defence of the team will be pretty suspect and they have a young keeper. Their forwards are a pretty impressive group, especially if Karsums can stay healthy, if 2006-eligible Brad Marchand has the season fans are expecting, and Nolan actually allows them to play a decently offensive system.

Moncton fans are freaking out at their team for not being involved in any moves on draft day, it's sort of amusing. They seem to think they're going to be humiliated at the Memorial Cup, not realizing that in such a short event anything can really happen. The team played respectively against Rimouski this year and that team ended up second in the country so...

Anyhow, with all due respect to some of the Moncton posters on this board, Chootoi and a few others I'm aware of, it's going to be a pretty blah environment. The Cage is one of the quietest junior hockey arenas i've ever been in. Even when they sell out 6500-7000, it sounds like 2000 people are in the arena. Absolutely no crowd noise, it was sort of sad to see it all season. In my opinion the team is fine for next year (certainly not spectacular and they won't be a favourite to win the Mem Cup), but the only thing which could potentially embarass the city is the lack of noise in the building.

Chootoi
07-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Anyhow, with all due respect to some of the Moncton posters on this board, Chootoi and a few others I'm aware of, it's going to be a pretty blah environment. The Cage is one of the quietest junior hockey arenas i've ever been in. Even when they sell out 6500-7000, it sounds like 2000 people are in the arena. Absolutely no crowd noise, it was sort of sad to see it all season. In my opinion the team is fine for next year (certainly not spectacular and they won't be a favourite to win the Mem Cup), but the only thing which could potentially embarass the city is the lack of noise in the building.

no arguments here... agree 100%. they need some cattle prauds in the seats or somn at the coliseum. good team assessment too, though i'd like to add that the cats have gone out and acquired the rights to a few high profile guys who have gone or plan to go the NCAA route so maybe they have an ace(s) up their sleeve. we'll see what happens anyways. they aren't quite a contender yet but i'm confident they'll make the appropriate moves when the time comes and they'll be there. robert irving is a proud man, he's not a guy to just throw the mem cup down the crapper.

Freaky Habs Fan
07-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys...I'm moving to Moncton in September and I will surely go at a few Wildcats game...

scoutman1
07-04-2005, 04:27 PM
JC Blanchard IMO is the best goalie for the 2006 NHL draft. With IMO Jonathan Bernier, Stephan Cesar, Niko Hovinen and Joe Palmer as the other top goalies and all of super caliber this looks to be a great goalie draft, possibly as good as a goalie draft as 1995 with Giguere, Biron, Boucher and Denis all in round 1. Blanchard is very fast in his crease, plays the butterfly style, very athletic, great leg speed and reads the play well...I find he looks a little like Marc-Andre Fleury.

Bryanbryoil
07-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Goulet had quite a coming out party this year, and he had a solid play-offs as well. Look for him to be even better next season.

Freaky Habs Fan
07-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Is there any recently drafted players who could make the team??? I guess the team will be great offensively...Pineault, Bourque, Karsum, Graham and Goulet, not bad :)

RDriesenUD
07-05-2005, 12:34 AM
according to the cbj as of last week, he will be back in moncton, they dont think hes ready and needs to improve on some things. but you never know, depends on how he does in camp, what happens with all the nhl players after the new cba etc. but my bet is, is he will be back

ZombieMatt
07-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Yeah, absolutely no way Pineault is NHL-ready. It's not even remotely a concern. When I spoke to DM before Christmas he indicated the team expects Pineault to take several years to develop into an NHL player.

wildwilly
07-05-2005, 03:11 AM
Dont' count the chickens before they hatch. As of right now Chris Bourque is heading to the Caps camp if there is one and is looking at playing in Hershey next year. I think he can make that team. He showed that he could play there at the end of the year. He lead Portland in shot in all but one game he played. Popped one in and manned the point on the powerplay. So that is not a definite there. If he is sent to play in Moncton I think you could also have Keith Yandle. Their best buds and this kid Yandle is a good player. He is 10 times the player Joey Ryan or Andrew Andricopolous is. I heard you made a risky trade with Gatineau to gain his rights. Moncton is very excited about this kids talent. Now if he comes or not will be the question. I heard you traded a 5th round pick for his rights and if he comes you have to send a pretty good player (can't think of his name) to them? Seems like if he comes it could be a huge help to their blueline, powerplay, and shot at the Memorial Cup.

Freaky Habs Fan
07-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I think it would be better for Bourque to play in the Q for one year...

NCAA Hockey Fan
07-05-2005, 10:26 PM
If he is sent to play in Moncton I think you could also have Keith Yandle. Their best buds and this kid Yandle is a good player. He is 10 times the player Joey Ryan or Andrew Andricopolous is. "I was supposed to go to UNH, but things fell through so Maine jumped on the opportunity and, luckily, they had a full scholarship still open," said Keith Yandle, who had 14 goals and 40 assists in 34 games for Cushing.

The 18-year-old Yandle said his former Cushing Academy teammate, Billy Ryan, who was a freshman left winger at Maine this past season, played a role in his decision.

"Billy is my best friend, I'm around him all the time, and he told me how much he loved it at Maine. I think I'll feel comfortable up there," said Yandle who has been invited to the U.S. National Junior team's tryout camp in Lake Placid, N.Y. on Aug. 5-14.
http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=115259&z=225
Don't see anything about Bourque and best buds.