Young Devils finding a way to make an impact on team - Bergen Record

Unthinkable
09-28-2003, 10:51 AM
http://tinylink.com/?IbkxEJNXFu

Young Devils finding a way to make an impact on team

Sunday, September 28, 2003

By TOM GULITTI
STAFF WRITER
Suglobov, a 21-year-old native of Elektrostal, Russia, is growing into his 6-foot, 175-pound frame, but has shown flashes of NHL-worthy skill. He created several scoring chances in those three games and impressed with his speed, hands, and hockey sense. That he did not disappear after Flyers tough guy Donald Brashear tried to drive him into the Flyers' bench in Friday's game also earned him points.

"He's real smart," said left wing Patrik Elias, who skated on a line with Suglobov in one game. "He's great with the puck and makes a lot of good plays and is creating a lot of good chances. He made a couple of good passes."

Finnish wingers Pihlman, 20, and Ilkka Pikkarainen, 22, also have been impressive with one assist apiece. Pihlman, Pikkarainen, and Suglobov have benefited from remaining in the Europe and maturing before coming over for their first NHL training camps.

Devils' coach Pat Burns has compared Pikkarainen (6-2, 200) to former NHL superpest Esa Tikkanen because he plays with a physical edge that gets under opponents' skins. In Friday's game, Pikkarainen delivered three body checks in his final shift of the second period.

Missionhockey
09-28-2003, 05:19 PM
Isn't Suglobov heavier than 175? Also according to his scouting reports his mind is the worse part about his game correct?

Unthinkable
09-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Isn't Suglobov heavier than 175? Also according to his scouting reports his mind is the worse part about his game correct?

I've seen conflicting weights for him also, but thats common with hockey players being profiled these days. Isn't he the one who had big problems with his former coach a few years back? Thought I remember J-Mac commenting on that one. I just know the Devils have a real serious need for another sniper right now and I'd like to see him get some more chances if he's not a defensive liability in our system.

Missionhockey
09-29-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the problem WAS he was a defensive liability. Why do you think most players have a problem with their coach?

Unthinkable
09-29-2003, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure the problem WAS he was a defensive liability. Why do you think most players have a problem with their coach? A lot of times its a matter of ice time, linemates, roles, lofty expectations etc...

Missionhockey
09-29-2003, 05:01 PM
A lot of times its a matter of ice time, linemates, roles, lofty expectations etc...

uuuuhhhh alright I'll shut up now. *crawls into little corner*

JasonMacIsaac
09-29-2003, 05:18 PM
Actually he did have a problem with his coach, his coach was giveing all the time to vetrens and no time to his younger players. The coach of the WC team liked how he played and chose him to the Euro Tour team russia team, he averaged a point with that team on the third line so the same coach selected him to the Team Russia WC team.

On his talents that guy had shifty moves, a good wrist shot(not too accurate) and great speed. His downfalls were his hockey sence....thats it, he wasn't great without the puck and he wasn't a great playmaker, it seemed his play with and without the puck has improved with all this tourni play. I also read from Russian Prospects that he bulked up but it seems NA is set that he is 175.

Temmu Laine has 2 assists in 7 games for Jokerit on the third line. He has really turned into a great defensive player in Finland and if his hands ever cacthes up to his feet he would be very dangerous, many prospects have the same problem though.

JasonMacIsaac
09-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Plus he is 6`1 196, That is great size for a winger. I don't think his contract is up in Finland till 2005.