Nathan Smith...

Waveburner
09-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Not looking good for Nathan...

He was sent to the Moose with 5 other players today. Still with the team are guys like Ready, Komarniski, Kavanaugh...yet Smith is done? I guess he wasn't that impressive in camp. If the AHL guys are out-lasting him at camp, that can't bode well for his future...

theo6060
09-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Not looking good for Nathan...

He was sent to the Moose with 5 other players today. Still with the team are guys like Ready, Komarniski, Kavanaugh...yet Smith is done? I guess he wasn't that impressive in camp. If the AHL guys are out-lasting him at camp, that can't bode well for his future... Is this guy ever going to prove his draft position? Granted, I was never expecting big offensive numbers from him, but to be sent down now...... does he have a future with the Canucks at all?

orcatown
09-28-2003, 01:43 PM
theo - The answer is No. Another mediocre camp - one he said he was well prepared for- to be followed by a another less than mediocre AHL season.

Smith is worst than Holden. A whole lot worse. In fact, he's worse than his namesake, Tim Smith. If the Canucks can trade him for anything they should immediately do it.

Indeed a bad day for Mr. Relaxation.

Connecticut
09-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Does anyone have a list of who's still around, particularly of the prospects. My impression is that the guys who have been sent down are not guys who had bad camps but those who don't have much of a shot of cracking the roster early in the season (i.e. Auld, Smith, Mojzis). The people who are around are probably the first line of call ups like Reid, Baumgartner and co. The others are being sent down to reduce the clutter a little and to get into the swing of things in the AHL where they'll be playing to start the season anyway.

Jewelly
09-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Indeed a bad day for Mr. Relaxation.
Oooooh, very low blow! :lol:

Waveburner
09-28-2003, 01:53 PM
King
Reid
Fedorov
Kesler
Kavanaugh
Ready
Komarniski
Baumgartner
Bouck
Eakins
Jokela
Keane

Are still at camp...

Avery4Byng*
09-28-2003, 03:14 PM
King
Reid
Fedorov
Kesler
Kavanaugh
Ready
Komarniski
Baumgartner
Bouck
Eakins
Jokela
Keane

Are still at camp...

I hope these gusy make it

Keane
Fedorov
Reid
Bouck

Baumer

Mr. Canucklehead
09-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Where is Mr. I need to take a damn chill pill anyway?

I for one do not want to see Nolan Baumgartner in a Canucks uniform ever again. I think I'm totally alone on this, but he was brutal in the Playoffs last year, and aside from 1 good game in the season, had 7 uneventful outtings that showed nothing.

~Canucklehead~

LaVal
09-28-2003, 03:20 PM
King
Reid
Fedorov
Kesler
Kavanaugh
Ready
Komarniski
Baumgartner
Bouck
Eakins
Jokela
Keane

Are still at camp...

Obsut as well

tantalum
09-28-2003, 04:16 PM
people realize that with the exception of kesler every other player on that list is older than Smith.

He may be a bust but after one professional year it is WAY too soon to say so. Especially when he was very good down the stretch and in the playoffs for the Moose last year.

theo6060
09-28-2003, 04:19 PM
people realize that with the exception of kesler every other player on that list is older than Smith.

He may be a bust but after one professional year it is WAY too soon to say so. Especially when he was very good down the stretch and in the playoffs for the Moose last year.With that said, do you think he has a chance with the Canucks still?

Blane Youngblood
09-28-2003, 04:29 PM
With that said, do you think he has a chance with the Canucks still?

He has about the same potential as he had when we drafted him. Solid 4th liner who could wear a letter. He isn't there yet but he shouldn't be written off as a guy who will never make the NHL.

Waveburner
09-28-2003, 07:49 PM
Oh yeah forgot Obsut...maybe because he STILL hasn't played. Why keep him in the Canuck camp if he doesn't dress for a single pre-season game? Unless he dressed tonight finally...

EDIT-nevermind, he played tonight...Crow is confusing...obviously if he wasn't good enough to dress in the first 5 pre-season games, he can't be very high on the depth chart. So why keep him around? It seems pointless...

Mess
09-28-2003, 08:03 PM
Oh yeah forgot Obsut...maybe because he STILL hasn't played. Why keep him in the Canuck camp if he doesn't dress for a single pre-season game? Unless he dressed tonight finally...

EDIT-nevermind, he played tonight...Crow is confusing...obviously if he wasn't good enough to dress in the first 5 pre-season games, he can't be very high on the depth chart. So why keep him around? It seems pointless...

Not going to start an arguement ...but don't you find it surprising that a player like Jaroslav Obsut is still in camp and some other players that have impressed more are now in Manitoba..

Doesn't it seem like that is backwards...???

Impossibles
09-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Not going to start an arguement ...but don't you find it surprising that a player like Jaroslav Obsut is still in camp and some other players that have impressed more are now in Manitoba..

Not really...

The coaches and BB might still be deciding on where some guys should be playing, be it the ECHL, AHL, or junior...or a beer-league team at 8-rinks.

Waveburner
09-28-2003, 08:07 PM

Yes, it does.

Sometimes I think Crawford is one of the smartest coaches in NHL, and other times, he seems like a complete idiot. I'm willing to bet the idiocy eventually catches up to him, and he gets canned. Maybe this season, but probably not...maybe in '04, if there is hockey...

Mess
09-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Yes, it does.

Sometimes I think Crawford is one of the smartest coaches in NHL, and other times, he seems like a complete idiot. I'm willing to bet the idiocy eventually catches up to him, and he gets canned. Maybe this season, but probably not...maybe in '04, if there is hockey...

WOW .. I didn't expect that response but thank you for your honesty...

It is hard to explain, and even coming from a die hard Nuck fan like yourself it is hard to spin any other way but the one you chose.

:handclap:

Why keep players around that have ZERO possibility of winning a spot this year, and not play them in any games..

Waveburner
09-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Well I am probably fairly alone on my opinion of Crawford, but I certainly hope I'm not alone in thinking keeping Obsut around makes zero sense. Let them fight it out in Moose camp for AHL-ECHL roster spots. He will never make the Canuck roster, so playing NHL pre-season games is a waste of potential ice-time for guys like Mojzis, Koltsov and Vydareny-guys who still have NHL potential, rather than AHL potential.

Mess
09-28-2003, 08:26 PM
Well I am probably fairly alone on my opinion of Crawford, but I certainly hope I'm not alone in thinking keeping Obsut around makes zero sense. Let them fight it out in Moose camp for AHL-ECHL roster spots. He will never make the Canuck roster, so playing NHL pre-season games is a waste of potential ice-time for guys like Mojzis, Koltsov and Vydareny-guys who still have NHL potential, rather than AHL potential.

Your right other teams seem to do it the other way around and the players bound for ECHL or the AHL are the first cuts... and not only that the nucks also have Baumgartner, Jokela, Eakins as well in camp and do any of them really have any chance of beating out Allan and Slegr for the 6th and 7th spots.. but at least they are getting some game action while a player like Obsut has only dressed today, but has avoided being cut on numerous occasions for some reason...

SedinFan*
09-29-2003, 12:48 AM
The coaching staff seemed to be high on Smith, but each and every year that goes by, without Nathan Smith on the team, I feel he's closer and closer to becoming a big bust. He actually is already a bust in my mind.

me2
09-29-2003, 04:17 AM
Might seem odd but keeping Obst around may make the final cuts easier. It lets you bump some kid you want in the AHL down to the AHL earlier in the cuts, saves breaking their spirit at the end. Come the final cuts its pretty easy to point to Obst.

NFITO
09-29-2003, 05:16 AM

there are a lot of other factors we're ignoring here....

as Tant said, all the players sent down, with the exception of Kesler, are all younger players.

note that the waiver draft is coming up right after preseason, and guys like Ready, Kavanaugh and Baumer, along with nearly everyone else on that list above, will have to be either protected (unlikely) or left exposed on the draft.... this might have something to do with guys like Smith and Mojzis being sent down now.

I don't have a lot of expectations for Smith, but I do think he will be a player in the NHL, not unlike a Chubarov... people seem to be very high on him, but his upside isn't that much different... he's not a scorer, or a playmaker... he's a hard working, gritty hard-nosed bottom sixer - which is what Smith is very capable of being... players like that, although not the hardest in value to acquire, are still important to the team.

I still expect Smith to take over from Lindgren in a year or two... right now though, after just one pro season (and that filled with injuries) he's got lots of time to refine his game.

I'm actually glad that these guys were demoted now... it's time for them to concentrate on where they will be for most of the season - Manitoba - and for the real roster to start coming together.... I wouldn't be surprised if the guys remaining are there because of other factors, like the waiver draft. Kesler seems to be the one player that has stood out among the prospects, so he's still around, but I think that another reason why he's still around is because it is his first camp, and the Canucks want him to get as much exposure as possible with the big team, and be around the veterans... this is not unlike Bryan Allen, who in his first few camps, stuck with the team till the end (and in at least one of them, made the team but went through his injuries at that time).

Saying he's a disappointment is too easy an answer as to why he was demoted... it never is as easy as just one reason...

what surprises me is that the same people who are commenting on Smith being a bust because he's been sent down, where in the past praising Mojzis... should we think of him as well as a bust since he was sent down at the same time as Smith??

Mess
09-29-2003, 06:57 AM
there are a lot of other factors we're ignoring here....

as Tant said, all the players sent down, with the exception of Kesler, are all younger players.

note that the waiver draft is coming up right after preseason, and guys like Ready, Kavanaugh and Baumer, along with nearly everyone else on that list above, will have to be either protected (unlikely) or left exposed on the draft.... this might have something to do with guys like Smith and Mojzis being sent down now.

I don't have a lot of expectations for Smith, but I do think he will be a player in the NHL, not unlike a Chubarov... people seem to be very high on him, but his upside isn't that much different... he's not a scorer, or a playmaker... he's a hard working, gritty hard-nosed bottom sixer - which is what Smith is very capable of being... players like that, although not the hardest in value to acquire, are still important to the team.

I still expect Smith to take over from Lindgren in a year or two... right now though, after just one pro season (and that filled with injuries) he's got lots of time to refine his game.

I'm actually glad that these guys were demoted now... it's time for them to concentrate on where they will be for most of the season - Manitoba - and for the real roster to start coming together.... I wouldn't be surprised if the guys remaining are there because of other factors, like the waiver draft. Kesler seems to be the one player that has stood out among the prospects, so he's still around, but I think that another reason why he's still around is because it is his first camp, and the Canucks want him to get as much exposure as possible with the big team, and be around the veterans... this is not unlike Bryan Allen, who in his first few camps, stuck with the team till the end (and in at least one of them, made the team but went through his injuries at that time).

Saying he's a disappointment is too easy an answer as to why he was demoted... it never is as easy as just one reason...

what surprises me is that the same people who are commenting on Smith being a bust because he's been sent down, where in the past praising Mojzis... should we think of him as well as a bust since he was sent down at the same time as Smith??

Well I wasn't commenting on Smith in my post here but ....I agree he may be a 4th line checker eventually ....but he is not there yet and you really don't want to be picking players in the 1st round of the draft and hope they make your 4th line SOMEDAY... The AHL is full of them and players such as Lindgrens and Lewtowski's and Ruutu's are every where....and since you mentioned Waiver draft ....you will see that it will be full of younger players on the verge of 4th liners if you want to take a flyer on any of them...you don't really have to groom them yourselves...

That post directed at Obsut ...that Waveburner brought up.. who is WAY down on the depth chart , has played ZERO exhibition games ...

Why whould he still be here.. Just like Kesler its also Koltsov's first camp and his exposure to the NHL would also have been invaluable at this time at the expense of a Obsut who really has no future with the NUCKS...

That was the bases of that point...

NFITO
09-29-2003, 07:30 AM
Well I wasn't commenting on Smith in my post here but ....I agree he may be a 4th line checker eventually ....but he is not there yet and you really don't want to be picking players in the 1st round of the draft and hope they make your 4th line SOMEDAY... The AHL is full of them and players such as Lindgrens and Lewtowski's and Ruutu's are every where....and since you mentioned Waiver draft ....you will see that it will be full of younger players on the verge of 4th liners if you want to take a flyer on any of them...you don't really have to groom them yourselves...

That post directed at Obsut ...that Waveburner brought up.. who is WAY down on the depth chart , has played ZERO exhibition games ...

Why whould he still be here.. Just like Kesler its also Koltsov's first camp and his exposure to the NHL would also have been invaluable at this time at the expense of a Obsut who really has no future with the NUCKS...

That was the bases of that point...

as I said, there are a lot of other factors... not just one...

why is Kesler up, and Koltsov not?? well Koltsov is also older than Kesler... Koltsov has played in a men's league in Russia, which is higher than the NCAA that Kesler has played in... maybe this was a factor.

maybe another factor is that Koltsov is a dman, behind a set of 7 that are etched in stone in Vancouver already... whereas Kesler (unlike Smith) plays the wing as well as center (and hasn't he played more wing than center in camp as well??)... maybe this is another reason why he's up... whereas Smith has no chance of making the team this year because of who he'd have to beat to get there, Kesler, because he can play the wing, has a better opportunity??

just thinking out loud here....

and I'm not defending Smith's pick in the draft... but I think it's way too early to write him off... while 4th liners maybe available in the waiver draft, just because a guy is a 4th liner doesn't make hiim less valuable to the team... you will not find a guy like Chubarov available in waivers - and he's a bottom sixer who's very valuable to our team... Smith has the same upside and plays the same type of game.

why is Obsut still up there... well he has played in at least 1 game, and with just a few more games to go, maybe the strategy is exposing him to other teams so they do pick him, instead of a guy like Bouck or Kavanaugh??

I really don't know what the "real" answers are... all I'm saying is that it's too simple and inaccurate to say that a player is a bust because he's been sent down right now...

as for Mojzis... what seems to be ignored is that it was Crawford, Burke and Nonis who have been speaking highly of him, saying that he's put himself in the future plans of the Canucks, and is NHL ready now, or very close to it.... it seems that you're bashing Mizral for his comments, but these are infact the same comments that the Canucks brass has been saying... sending him down now is in no way a reflection of this... the team has 7 guys that need to clear waivers to be sent down, and they're not about to do that... nor are they about to rush Mojzis in, no matter how well he's playing in camp, because the guy is only 21, and is just starting his pro development, while the team is contending - and you take experience over potential in such situations 10 times out of 10!!

why was Baron playing fulltime last season, while Allen was a #7?? most Canuck fans would agree that on the ice Allen outplaying Baron all season! but the fact remains that Baron has the experience and plays ahead of him as such... just like right now both Allen and Slegr have more experience than Mojzis or Koltsov...

I just don't see their demotions as being anything more than this... none of these guys who were demoted are write-offs right now... at 20/21 you don't write off any players!!

and if Smith turns into a solid checking forward in the 3rd/4th line mold, I won't be disappointed, as long as he's a key player in his role... guys like Otto, Skrudland, and others - who have been 3rd/4th line players in the past, aren't guys you find on waivers, nor are they any less valuable to a team... just because Smith is projected to play in that role, doesn't equate him to 3rd/4th liners you will find on waivers.

Like I said, we will not be putting a guy like Chubarov on waivers.. .and the bottom sixers you find on waivers are not going to be as valuable as Chubs... if we get another Chubs in Smith, I'll be very happy!

Rageinthecage
09-29-2003, 07:32 AM
My take on why Jimmy Roy and Jaroslav Obsut were playing yesterday while more talented players were sent down earlier in the day, is simply because Crawford wanted to give them an exhibition game before being sent down. Neither had played for awhile (Obsut not at all). The players sent down Sunday afternoon had mostly played the night before. No need for back to back games for most of them. Crawford's not trying to tell anyone that Roy or Obsut are higher in the depth chart than any of our better prospects, they were just scheduled to play Sunday night. I'll bet both are on their way to Winnipeg as we speak now. I'm sure Crawford knows better than anyone that neither of these two players will ever play a minute of NHL regular season action.

Hi-wayman
09-29-2003, 07:48 AM
With that said, do you think he has a chance with the Canucks still?
I only saw Smith play in one preseason game (South Surrey), but I was impressed in how he played in that game. Yes I do think Smith with make it to the NHL & hopefully as a Canuck. He still needs a year or two in the AHL, but I see him more as a 2nd/3rd line tweener than as a 4th liner & I also see him having a long NHL career once he makes it. He kind of reminds me of two other ex-Canucks Garry Monahan or Garry Valk & if he turns out to be as good as either of those two we can't complain. That's my opinion anyway based on the little things he seems to do & how players that do those little things often end up have long NHL careers

Mess
09-29-2003, 08:20 AM
as I said, there are a lot of other factors... not just one...

why is Kesler up, and Koltsov not?? well Koltsov is also older than Kesler... Koltsov has played in a men's league in Russia, which is higher than the NCAA that Kesler has played in... maybe this was a factor.

maybe another factor is that Koltsov is a dman, behind a set of 7 that are etched in stone in Vancouver already... whereas Kesler (unlike Smith) plays the wing as well as center (and hasn't he played more wing than center in camp as well??)... maybe this is another reason why he's up... whereas Smith has no chance of making the team this year because of who he'd have to beat to get there, Kesler, because he can play the wing, has a better opportunity??

just thinking out loud here....

and I'm not defending Smith's pick in the draft... but I think it's way too early to write him off... while 4th liners maybe available in the waiver draft, just because a guy is a 4th liner doesn't make hiim less valuable to the team... you will not find a guy like Chubarov available in waivers - and he's a bottom sixer who's very valuable to our team... Smith has the same upside and plays the same type of game.

why is Obsut still up there... well he has played in at least 1 game, and with just a few more games to go, maybe the strategy is exposing him to other teams so they do pick him, instead of a guy like Bouck or Kavanaugh??

I really don't know what the "real" answers are... all I'm saying is that it's too simple and inaccurate to say that a player is a bust because he's been sent down right now...

as for Mojzis... what seems to be ignored is that it was Crawford, Burke and Nonis who have been speaking highly of him, saying that he's put himself in the future plans of the Canucks, and is NHL ready now, or very close to it.... it seems that you're bashing Mizral for his comments, but these are infact the same comments that the Canucks brass has been saying... sending him down now is in no way a reflection of this... the team has 7 guys that need to clear waivers to be sent down, and they're not about to do that... nor are they about to rush Mojzis in, no matter how well he's playing in camp, because the guy is only 21, and is just starting his pro development, while the team is contending - and you take experience over potential in such situations 10 times out of 10!!

why was Baron playing fulltime last season, while Allen was a #7?? most Canuck fans would agree that on the ice Allen outplaying Baron all season! but the fact remains that Baron has the experience and plays ahead of him as such... just like right now both Allen and Slegr have more experience than Mojzis or Koltsov...

I just don't see their demotions as being anything more than this... none of these guys who were demoted are write-offs right now... at 20/21 you don't write off any players!!

and if Smith turns into a solid checking forward in the 3rd/4th line mold, I won't be disappointed, as long as he's a key player in his role... guys like Otto, Skrudland, and others - who have been 3rd/4th line players in the past, aren't guys you find on waivers, nor are they any less valuable to a team... just because Smith is projected to play in that role, doesn't equate him to 3rd/4th liners you will find on waivers.

Like I said, we will not be putting a guy like Chubarov on waivers.. .and the bottom sixers you find on waivers are not going to be as valuable as Chubs... if we get another Chubs in Smith, I'll be very happy!

Firstly the Mojzis post was just a dig at Mizral since he came over to another board LEAF board and posted the Mojzis gloating.. I blame the Vancouver media for the Over-Hype of him... and in this thread ...like Waveburner said it seemed to be backward thinking that he and Koltsov would be early cuts even if they where going to be sent down eventually, the experience would have been invaluable and good for development where as you say showcasing a player like Obsut to try to get rid of him is pretty hard to follow, although I see what you are trying to say.

In TO as you know since you are there... Toronto sent down all the Holden, Druken, Gavey players with the cuts and kept the kids Stajan, Poni, Colaiacovo, Kandratiev etc. and the waiver draft is coming in Toronto aswell.. but the Nucks chose the opposite route... Which is what I found strange since by all accounts Mojzis had a strong camp while a player like Obsut, was never mentioned and until last night never even dressed for a game..

I also wonder if there is a stategic advantage to the waiver draft, between the Leafs and Nucks view.. The Holden's have to clear waivers now to be demoted and I wonder if they need to be exposed next week if they clear now... Where as the Nucks Forwards Ready, Kavanaugh etc may face a different fate..

Smith simply is not NHL ready and his demotion is understandable and nothing more as he is well down the depth charts as of TODAY in NUCKVILLE... Nothing against him personally..

and one last point The Kids would be very easy last minute cuts to get down to the 23 man roster and don't need to be protected in the Waiver draft and they are probably expecting the demotion anyways... but the others still here, deserving or not have at least in their minds beaten out the kids at this point... how that affects the kids in the future only time will tell... If Manitoba was playing already then I could see the extra Ice time on the farm , but that is not the case here, at least not yet..

galiano
09-29-2003, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=orcatown]theo - The answer is No. Another mediocre camp - one he said he was well prepared for- to be followed by a another less than mediocre AHL season.

Smith is worst than Holden. A whole lot worse. In fact, he's worse than his namesake, Tim Smith. If the Canucks can trade him for anything they should immediately do it.

Now hold on a minute. Nathan Smith is just 21 years old. He's played a grand total of 53 games as a pro. 53 games ! And many of those recovering from a broken jaw. He was terrific in the playoffs for the Moose last season. In his last 2 years of juniour he played 114 games and put up 150 points.

How can anyone say at this stage that he should be traded or that he was a terrible pick ? That's simply ridiculous ! Try a little patience.

NFITO
09-29-2003, 08:59 AM
Firstly the Mojzis post was just a dig at Mizral since he came over to another board LEAF board and posted the Mojzis gloating.. I blame the Vancouver media for the Over-Hype of him... and in this thread ...like Waveburner said it seemed to be backward thinking that he and Koltsov would be early cuts even if they where going to be sent down eventually, the experience would have been invaluable and good for development where as you say showcasing a player like Obsut to try to get rid of him is pretty hard to follow, although I see what you are trying to say.

In TO as you know since you are there... Toronto sent down all the Holden, Druken, Gavey players with the cuts and kept the kids Stajan, Poni, Colaiacovo, Kandratiev etc. and the waiver draft is coming in Toronto aswell.. but the Nucks chose the opposite route... Which is what I found strange since by all accounts Mojzis had a strong camp while a player like Obsut, was never mentioned and until last night never even dressed for a game..

I also wonder if there is a stategic advantage to the waiver draft, between the Leafs and Nucks view.. The Holden's have to clear waivers now to be demoted and I wonder if they need to be exposed next week if they clear now... Where as the Nucks Forwards Ready, Kavanaugh etc may face a different fate..

Smith simply is not NHL ready and his demotion is understandable and nothing more as he is well down the depth charts as of TODAY in NUCKVILLE... Nothing against him personally..

and one last point The Kids would be very easy last minute cuts to get down to the 23 man roster and don't need to be protected in the Waiver draft and they are probably expecting the demotion anyways... but the others still here, deserving or not have at least in their minds beaten out the kids at this point... how that affects the kids in the future only time will tell... If Manitoba was playing already then I could see the extra Ice time on the farm , but that is not the case here, at least not yet..

couple of things here... again I dont' have a position on this yet, as I'm still thinking about this situation, and trying to figure out the strategies each team is using... but just thinking out loud...

now you mention the Holdens, Drukens, etc been sent down and the Canucks taking the opposite strategy...

how many of the players sent down by the Leafs were dmen? every player you mentioned is a forward... just wondering if this has anything to do with it because the Leafs are deep up front, and like we are on defense, their pro roster, at least the names, up front are set in stone...

on the Canucks it's the other way around... while our roster on both ends is pretty much finalized, there is at least 1 spot open up front, even if that is only for a 13th or 14th forward... on defense we have 7 bodies already, not including Baumer, and 7 is the most we will carry.

maybe this is the reason why the team chose to send Mojzis and Koltsov down - cause the understanding is already that they will play the entire season in Manitoba... with Baumer, he may be our #8 guy (probably is) and is the next to get games... after him Jokela at this point is probably next.

With Obsut, I can't guess what they're thinking... the guy obviously doesn't have a spot on this team, and losing him doesn't hurt us at all... with Eakins and Baumer in Manitoba, we dont' really need his experience on the farm either.... maybe they are trying to showcase him - maybe as a favor to him so he gets exposure to other teams that might want to pick him up... the team has done this in the past, and Burke always tries to accomodate players if they are no longer in the team's plans.

as far as the over-hyping... if this is indeed the case, then I blame the Canucks organization more than the media... afterall, I dont' see Nolan as being overhyped because the media decided to write some articles on him ... but with Mojzis it was different... most of all I remember Crawford's words, because as the head coach, if he's high on a player, seeing him first hand, then I put more stock into that... and he's been very high on Mojzis... both him and Burke have said that they don't know if he's ready right now, but he's not far off, and both have indicated it wouldn't be a surprise to see him this season in the NHL, even if it's just a few games...

so is this over-hyping?? or maybe it's just an account from the ones who have evaluated him most closely, and have the only say in his most immediate future? as a fan, I can totally understand Mizral being excited about him... we gave up a player that has no future with this team, for one that our own coach and GM, have said should have a bright future with this team.... the trade however I dont' think was as lopsided when you consider that Mojzis was a UFA that we had to sign this offseason... but on value alone outside of that, we've got ourselves a solid prospect for someone who had no future with this team.

I'm excited about that, and I can understand Miz being excited about it too... his demotion hasn't changed that in the least.

the other points... the strategic advantage of the waivers... yes if they clear now, they don't have to clear all season... this is why you will find some players that are bubble guys that the team necessarily doesn't want to lose, become available... last year, we could have protected Baumer - we just signed him, and out of camp he was our #7 guy (and Allen was exempt)... but we chose to expose him to protect Rohlin again, because 1) it allows Baumer to go back and forth all season, without waivers, and 2) if we picked up someone we wouldn't have to expose him then - which makes it easier for other teams to spot him.

finally with the kids being sent down now... I think (again just thinking out loud) it could be because of how the team has been playing so far... there is a greater need to get the core together and start showing some consistency out there... they have been out of sync all preseason, even the games they've won, they've been outshot and outchanced in... there is no chemistry right now, and we need to establish that... maybe that's why the team has felt that you send the prospects down, and keep the vets together now... :dunno: