Nikita Alexeev

Habdominal
09-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Just wondering what'a happening with him at camp. This guy just seems to have it all. But we're still waiting to see any sign of it coming together. What are your thoughts on him? How's he doing in camp?

PatrickRoy33
09-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Just wondering what'a happening with him at camp. This guy just seems to have it all. But we're still waiting to see any sign of it coming together. What are your thoughts on him? How's he doing in camp?

He got an assist on Floridas game tying goal with 6.7 seconds left....all he has to do is shoot it to the other end of the ice and the games over, but no, NOW he wants to try and stick handle in traffice....hope he gets a team jacket....it's cold in Hamilton....

Timmy1973
09-29-2003, 07:02 AM
Granted this is the first time I've seen him in person this preseason, but he looked like garbage last night. We've all seen flashes of what he can do like the goal he scored in New Jersey in last year's playoffs, but those flashes are way too few and far between. He has all the skills as we all know, but he should be farther along in his development by now. Maybe its due to our lack of a stable farm system, or the trouble adjusting to North America but guys like Nikita and Evgeni Konstantinov and starting to waste their chances and I don't think they've got many left.

Sotnos
09-29-2003, 08:35 AM
I agree with both of you, what a screwup last night, unbelievable! Timmy, he hasn't looked a whole lot better previously this preseason. I haven't seen anything out of him this September.

Only remembering that he is still very young is keeping me from becoming completely frustrated with him right now.

Oceanic39*
09-29-2003, 10:16 AM
This is where I ignorantly chime in and said I hated the pick to begin with.

There was a period of a few months where I jumped on his bandwagon, but I'm starting to fall off the back.

Modin and Keefe were offered for Hamrlik. MM wanted either Svitov or Alexeev. Feaster said no.

Would you do an Alexeev + Modin for Hamrlik + change now?

That's a lot of size off the roster, but someone pegged it in another thread. Dudley was infatuated with the size/speed ingredient and neglected to look at hockeysense/skill.

Like Elich, Alexeev put up pretty decent numbers his last year of junior. I hope Alexeev doesn't go the way of Elich, though.

petec1978*
09-29-2003, 10:30 AM
The sad thing is that there just wasn't a heck of a lot sitting there in that draft. I personally wanted Smirnov or Yakubov, in that order. Neither of those guys have set the world on fire either.

Vorobiev was probably the pick, but I don't think he was ever on the Lightning's radar.

-Pete Choquette

Timmy1973
09-29-2003, 01:02 PM
This is where I ignorantly chime in and said I hated the pick to begin with.

There was a period of a few months where I jumped on his bandwagon, but I'm starting to fall off the back.

Modin and Keefe were offered for Hamrlik. MM wanted either Svitov or Alexeev. Feaster said no.

That's a lot of size off the roster, but someone pegged it in another thread. Dudley was infatuated with the size/speed ingredient and neglected to look at hockeysense/skill.

Like Elich, Alexeev put up pretty decent numbers his last year of junior. I hope Alexeev doesn't go the way of Elich, though.

I've done my share of Modin bashing over the past few months, but I have to say that he did a pretty good job as a third line checker in last night's game when he was playing with Svitov and Alexeev. However, a third liner checker is a third line checker and we've got plenty of those. Honestly I would flip a coin to whether I would do the Modin+Alexeev deal. If Milbury really only covets Alexeev then maybe we could throw in someone else or a pick in Modin's place. Further more, if they are willing to do what it takes to resign Hamrlik then I would lean towards doing it. I don't wish anything bad on Alexeev but maybe the Islanders could do a little better in helping him along. It'll all depend on if Feaster wants to roll the dice. Also Fedotenko did look okay with Richards and St. Louis. All this was also in just one game, so I'll guess we'll have to see if that new line can keep up their success.

exterminator-x
09-29-2003, 01:45 PM

As you know, Chad, Feaster said no because the TBL brass consider Svitov and Aleexev as core future players. At least that was the thinking at the draft.

My question is if anyone thinks that either of these young men, but especially Aleexev, might no longer be considered by the the Lightning brass to be a core future player after this year's camp?

Hawkeye
09-29-2003, 02:34 PM
My question is if anyone thinks that either of these young men, but especially Aleexev, might no longer be considered by the the Lightning brass to be a core future player after this year's camp?

Probably not right now, but all we can hope for is that they're late bloomers.

Sotnos
09-29-2003, 02:56 PM
It's still too early to give up on them, I think, especially Svitov. Personally, I'm a little more forgiving of Svitov than of Alexeev at this point (although, Svitov has GOT to know that showing up at Tort's camp out of shape is a big no-no) because Alexeev has been given a few chances to step it up and hasn't done it thus far.

I don't think they've done badly enough, at this early stage in their careers, for the brass to lose faith in them completely, but I'd guess that Alexeev needs to show something soon (like within a year or so) or that might change.

Habdominal
09-29-2003, 03:21 PM
The thing not to forget about Alexeev is that if I'm corrct in Russia he was raised as a defenseman. Unless the athlete is extremely gifted that's a long process before you can turn an average defenceman into an excellent winger. Lik I said I'm not convince about hockey sense and Natural talent...but the mecanical tools (size, speed, strenght, and flashes of some talent too) shows al the right tools for him to succeed.

If you ever consider getting rid of him please be sure to contact Bob gainey first...we definetly need size up front :D

Rschmitz
09-29-2003, 04:58 PM
In order for me to be on their bandwagon they have to do something to merit it. They have done squat so far so I think i'll wait.

Didn't the draft that featured Alexeev, 2000 I believe also include Gaborik and Heatley? Major drop off from pick #3 to #8 I guess.

exterminator-x
09-29-2003, 07:23 PM
If you ever consider getting rid of him please be sure to contact Bob gainey first...we definetly need size up front :D

You've got Gordie Dwyer! Who else do you need? ;)

Flycoon*
09-30-2003, 07:53 AM
As you know, Chad, Feaster said no because the TBL brass consider Svitov and Aleexev as core future players. At least that was the thinking at the draft.

The problem I see is Alexeev is the sort of player Chuck Lamar, D Rays GM, drools over when he looks at prospects. Lots of tools. Problem is he is a guy with tools who plays hockey, he is not a hockey player. I don't see the instincts or knowledge you would expect at this stage of his development.

If Svitov has yet to learn English, things don't bode well for him either. He may have looked at the NHL as nothing more than a pay day and is playing out the string before returning to the homeland.

Neither deserves to be on the opening night roster.

petec1978*
09-30-2003, 10:23 AM
You're all a bunch of "Martians" if you are mean to Nikita Alexeev.

Sincerely,
sniper-crash
AKA The Scum of the Earth

-Pete Choquette

Hawkeye
09-30-2003, 12:20 PM
You're all a bunch of "Martians" if you are mean to Nikita Alexeev.

Sincerely,
sniper-crash

-Pete Choquette

Nice that you're name-calling on a board he doesn't visit. Very mature. :rolleyes:

Rschmitz
09-30-2003, 05:39 PM
sniper-crash

translation?

petec1978*
09-30-2003, 06:38 PM
translation?

Don't worry about it. You've never had the misfortune of encountering this loathesome subhuman piece of garbage.

My favorite sniper-crash predictions:

"Aaron Lobb will be in the NHL next year."

and

"Paul Ranger is no better than Marek Priechodsky."

-Pete Choquette

Sotnos
09-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Can we keep things on topic please? Other posters probably aren't all that interested in what goes on on other Lightning boards.

petec1978*
09-30-2003, 09:24 PM
Can we keep things on topic please?

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood. Something about cowardly posters (some present company INcluded) whining to a board moderator...

-Pete Choquette

PatrickRoy33
09-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Not to get back on the subject, but does anyone think Alexeev plays BOTH the remaining games, just ONE, or did he seal his fate with his little whoopsie on Sunday?

petec1978*
09-30-2003, 10:00 PM
Alexeev and Svitov would be gone up the Hershey highway if it were my call. Keefe as the 4th line center. Cibak as the 23rd and final player to make the team. And I hope they take Hawkeye and sniper-c with them.

-Pete Choquette

PatrickRoy33
09-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Cibak and Keefe both sounded a little more interested tonight, in winning a roster spot....