More cuts coming on Monday....

iceburg
09-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Crawford said in his post game comments after the Calgary game that there would be some cuts on Sunday and more on Monday. Just curious, with Auld, Moss, Smith, Mojzis, Grenier and Koltsov sent down on Sunday, who will be next??

I'm guessing that another five will go down tomorrow:
Ready
Kavanaugh
Komarniski
Eakins
Bouck

With the remainder sticking it out until the end of camp:
King
Reid
Fedorov
Kesler
Baumgartner
Jokela
Keane

Peter
09-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Crawford said in his post game comments after the Calgary game that there would be some cuts on Sunday and more on Monday. Just curious, with Auld, Moss, Smith, Mojzis, Grenier and Koltsov sent down on Sunday, who will be next??

I'm guessing that another five will go down tomorrow:
Ready
Kavanaugh
Komarniski
Eakins
Bouck

With the remainder sticking it out until the end of camp:
King
Reid
Fedorov
Kesler
Baumgartner
Jokela
Keane

I think Monday's group of cuts will be bigger than you think.

I only see Keane, Kesler and Baumgartner staying with the big boys for now. King, Fedorov, Reid, and Jokela will all be cut on Monday me things.

Keane will be given a one year, one way deal.
Baumgartner will stay on as the #7 d-man.
Kesler will be given at least 8 games before being shipped down to Winnipeg.

Waveburner
09-28-2003, 09:41 PM
I think Monday's group of cuts will be bigger than you think.

I only see Keane, Kesler and Baumgartner staying with the big boys for now. King, Fedorov, Reid, and Jokela will all be cut on Monday me things.

Keane will be given a one year, one way deal.
Baumgartner will stay on as the #7 d-man.
Kesler will be given at least 8 games before being shipped down to Winnipeg.

So who gets put on waivers to make that possible?

Slegr? Ruutu?

Kesler and Baumer will both be in Manitoba, unless we plan on releasing someone else for nothing.

orcatown
09-29-2003, 12:02 AM
Kesler doesn't have to be protected so how does his retention mean that someone else has to go on waivers? I'm I missing something?

orcatown
09-29-2003, 12:12 AM
I see the cuts as:

Going Down

Ready (has he got a contract?)
Komarniski
Eakins
Reid
Fedorov
Jokela
Roy
Obsut
Bouck

Staying will be

Kavanagh
King
Baumgartner
Allen
Keane
Kesler

Gives the Canucks 8 D and 16 Forwards by my reckoning.

SedinFan*
09-29-2003, 12:44 AM
I think Fedorov is going to stick around, make it through these next set of cuts.

Waveburner
09-29-2003, 01:12 AM
Even though we don't have to protect him, there is still a 23 man roster limit. To keep him up, someone goes down. That someone would need to clear waivers. I very much doubt the Canucks risk that. He has been solid, but hardly spectacular.

NFITO
09-29-2003, 05:35 AM
Even though we don't have to protect him, there is still a 23 man roster limit. To keep him up, someone goes down. That someone would need to clear waivers. I very much doubt the Canucks risk that. He has been solid, but hardly spectacular.

I agree with these comments...

I think that they will try and keep Kesler up as long as possible just so he can spend as much time with the veterans as possible... but eventually he's going to get sent down - this has to be in the club's plans, where he's going to spend a significant portion of the season in Manitoba...

so it makes more sense to send him down now, to accomodate for that 23 man roster (or when they have to cut down to get there).

For this reason I also see King and Reid getting sent down and Fedorov as well.

They will be putting quite a few of their players on waivers as well, and it's best to keep them up here as long as possible - which IMO is a reason why we saw the last set of demotions - Smith, Mojzis, Koltsov and Auld particularily... it's all getting to a numbers game now, and the team needs to strategise...

if you look at it further, it's also a positional thing... Mojzis and Kolstov won't crack the blueline - we have 7 guys ahead of them, and then Baumer (who's #8) is the only one of the 3 (along with Obsut, who's also still up) who need to clear waivers.... Auld isn't going to crack the goaltending position, and Smith isn't going to crack center - he's not been used on the wings, and this has probably more to do with his being sent down then we think! In order for Smith to make the team, he would have to beat out Chubarov or Lindgren - players he plays in the same mold as... this isn't going to happen this year.

Peter
09-29-2003, 06:32 AM
So who gets put on waivers to make that possible?

Slegr? Ruutu?

Kesler and Baumer will both be in Manitoba, unless we plan on releasing someone else for nothing.

1) If you read my post I said they will stay with the team "for now". I didn't say they would be sticking with the team forever.

2) Kesler does not need to be protected for waiver draft.

3) Why would we waive Slegr if we kept Baumgartner? Why wouldn't we just waive Baumgartner??

I don't get your logic this morning I am afraid.

Peter Griffin
09-29-2003, 06:55 AM
3) Why would we waive Slegr if we kept Baumgartner? Why wouldn't we just waive Baumgartner??

If we kept Baumgartner up as the 7th d-man, he would be taking a roster spot, Slegr's roster spot. You said that Baumgartner will stay on as the #7 d-man, well that would mean that either Allen or Slegr would be bumped down, forcing the team to put one on waivers, not gonna happen.

Mess
09-29-2003, 07:10 AM
I agree with these comments...

I think that they will try and keep Kesler up as long as possible just so he can spend as much time with the veterans as possible... but eventually he's going to get sent down - this has to be in the club's plans, where he's going to spend a significant portion of the season in Manitoba...

so it makes more sense to send him down now, to accomodate for that 23 man roster (or when they have to cut down to get there).

For this reason I also see King and Reid getting sent down and Fedorov as well.

They will be putting quite a few of their players on waivers as well, and it's best to keep them up here as long as possible - which IMO is a reason why we saw the last set of demotions - Smith, Mojzis, Koltsov and Auld particularily... it's all getting to a numbers game now, and the team needs to strategise...

if you look at it further, it's also a positional thing... Mojzis and Kolstov won't crack the blueline - we have 7 guys ahead of them, and then Baumer (who's #8) is the only one of the 3 (along with Obsut, who's also still up) who need to clear waivers.... Auld isn't going to crack the goaltending position, and Smith isn't going to crack center - he's not been used on the wings, and this has probably more to do with his being sent down then we think! In order for Smith to make the team, he would have to beat out Chubarov or Lindgren - players he plays in the same mold as... this isn't going to happen this year.

What about Jokela and Eakins as well.. and I think Allen has to be protected this year which means Slegr is also on the verge of being expossed as the 7th dman... NO????

Mizral
09-29-2003, 07:15 AM
Kesler, King, Keane, and Baumgartner. The rest will be sent down. In fact, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see King sent down, too.

It's becoming aparant that Keane isn't going to get a contract, though..

Rageinthecage
09-29-2003, 07:17 AM
A week or so ago on CKNW, Crawford mentioned he wanted to get the roster down to 25 or 26 players for the final 3 games. Perhaps he's changed his mind since then, but if not, here's my take on the possibile final 26:

The 20 man roster (which includes Allen as d-man #6)
Langdon
Slegr
Keane (if he's not signed, he won't be cut until the last possible moment)
Baumgartner
King (apparently strong at camp and Crawford has mentioned that he'd like another offensive option)
Komarniski or Bouck (the two most likely "energy/grit" players to receive a longer look)

The rest would be sent down today (unless of course Crawford decides to keep a few more). I agree with the Kesler comments above. The kid deserves a longer look. Reid has been disappointing at camp and will be sent down today most likely. Same goes for Fedorov. Jokela and Mojzis have been great at camp, but there's just not any room for now.

NFITO
09-29-2003, 07:36 AM
What about Jokela and Eakins as well.. and I think Allen has to be protected this year which means Slegr is also on the verge of being expossed as the 7th dman... NO????

Eakins will be exposed... not sure about Jokela... if he needs to be protected, then he too will be exposed... but I'm not sure when he signed his first pro contract.

Slegr and Allen will both be protected... my guess is that Lindgren is the 12th forward who gets exposed to keep 7 dmen protected.

This makes sense because he's a safer bet... Slegr has drawn more interest, and signed for less with Vancouver, meaning it's very likely that a team that wanted him would pick him up at the contract he signed with the Canucks... Lindgren is coming off an injury season as well, and has indicted he doesn't want to play anywhere else and could go back to Sweden if he's not with the Canucks - making it unlikely that a team would pick him up, as they would have to expose someone to pick up Lindgren.

other than that we're okay on waivers... we are likely to lose one or more of Kavanaugh, Bouck, Ready or Baumer... I don't see any interest for the other guys we have...

remember any team that picks up a player, needs to release one as well, the guys we have on the waiver bubble aren't enticing enough for other teams to take that risk on.

iceburg
09-29-2003, 07:42 PM
AND THE WINNER IS....

MIZRAL :bow:

Kesler, King, Keane, and Baumgartner. The rest will be sent down.

So Mizral (or anyone else with clarvoiant tendencies) please institute your telepathic powers one more time and tell us who is going next.

Mizral
09-30-2003, 04:40 PM
AND THE WINNER IS....

MIZRAL :bow:

So Mizral (or anyone else with clarvoiant tendencies) please institute your telepathic powers one more time and tell us who is going next.

Markus Naslund. 0 points & 0 goals in the preseason.

TRADE THE BUM!