Arent pandas cool?

mrhockey123
09-28-2003, 09:38 PM
Warning: This site contains material that is addictive in nature. Use at your own risk lol.

Panda and her 'lil one, live webcam. A friend showed this to me and i find myself checking in every so often.

Really cool concept, plus how the heck can you lose when youre talking about PANDAS!!

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/pandas/pandacam/index.html

andora
09-28-2003, 09:43 PM
it's ****ing sick imo.. let the poor thing go.. i hate zoos and the entire concept..

caging things up so we can look at them.. **** people

cybresabre
09-28-2003, 09:49 PM
wow, it's just like the real zoo- the animals are sleeping!

i dunno if i like them though.
pandas remind me too much of britney murphy in a coming-off-heroin kinda way
http://pandas.fujifilm.com/images/tripend_img02.jpg http://members.aol.com/uaccdealer/murphyb1.jpg

Pangolin
09-28-2003, 09:50 PM
it's ****ing sick imo.. let the poor thing go.. i hate zoos and the entire concept..

Zoo pandas are mainly from artificial reproduction in human influenced labs in China...
They can't go back to the wild just like that...

andora
09-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Zoo pandas are mainly from artificial reproduction in human influenced labs in China...
They can't go back to the wild just like that...

if that is what this one is.. fine.. if not.. my feelings above are in tact...

just checked the link, it says san diego zoo.. so i'll believe it's just people gawking at an animal.. i don't want to open the link..

mrhockey123
09-28-2003, 09:56 PM
well i dont want to turn this into the 'debate the morality of zoos' thread, but this is the way i think of it: Pandas do not like to breed for some idiotic reason which is beyond me. If you read the bio you'll find out they had to artificialy inseminate the female panda with the Male panda's "stuff" because he didnt really haev any desire to mate.

If both of the pandas (M and F) were in the wild, they would have never done anything, never made the little guy, and the species would just wither away.

Now i KNOW you're going to come back at me with an argument based on the fact that if man hadnt destroyed all of the pandas' habitat, we wouldnt be IN this mess at al. Well 1) as Shakespeare so eloquently said, "what is doe is done, and cannot be undone." As much as we want to, we cant go back and undo the damage to the echosystem.

The Human race has damaged many species in its brief (relative) time on this plannet. Look at Elephants. Most of the elephants have what many would call deformed tusts because poachers try their hardest to get the elephants with the longest tusks, so naturally the animals with smaller tusks survive, breed, and create offspring who inherit their parents' jenes. This means that eventualy all of the elephants will have small deformed tusks because none of the elephants with long gorgeous tusks will be around to breed.

If its any concellation to the animal rights activists out there, Humans are doing this to themselves as well. Look at Blondes. A real blonde has a recessive jene of some sort that makes her (or him) blonde. Now, if she has a kid, the kid could possibly inherit the jene thereby making the kid blonde. BUT we now have hair dye that is almost indistinguishable from the real thing. So you marry a woman, make babies, then suddenly discover she's a brunette. Well that obviously means the kid will in theory NOT have blonde hair, but at the same time the REAL BLONDE probably lost her opportunity to "mate" well its a little convoluted but it works as an example nevertheless.

I will point out I HATE PITA passionately especially after that last poster campaign that was so well documented on this site

Pangolin
09-28-2003, 09:56 PM

just checked the link, it says san diego zoo.. so i'll believe it's just people gawking at an animal.. i don't want to open the link..

The 3 pandas in San Diego zoos:
Hua Mei (pronounced hwa-may) made her entrance into the world on August 21, 1999, and instantly captured the hearts of animal lovers worldwide. She has the distinction of being the first giant panda born at the San Diego Zoo

Bai Yun (pronounced by-yoon), a female giant panda, was born at China's Wolong Nature Reserve on September 7, 1991. She was raised by her mother, Dong Dong. She is the mother of Hua Mei and our newest baby, born August 19, 2003. Bai Yun means "white cloud" in Chinese

Gao Gao (pronounced gow-gow and meaning "big big") arrived at the San Diego Zoo in January 2003. The wild-born adult male panda came from China's Wolong Nature Reserve

only 1 was wild-born...But he was injured, found, and taken to a nature reserve...

andora
09-28-2003, 09:57 PM
do they plan to work them into the wild? these ones from san diego

mrhockey123
09-28-2003, 09:58 PM

The female is born in captivity, the male was captured.

The baby will live out his days in captivity.

THeres no way in HELL we should be releasing animals that are bred in captivity because we dont konw what we're doing when it comes to tampering with gene pools.

oh yeah and i just noticed that i spelled GENE wrong like 10 times in my last thread so dont bother pointing it out. was wondering why 'jene' didnt look right lol

beeker16
09-28-2003, 10:01 PM
i like pandas.

Pangolin
09-28-2003, 10:01 PM
do they plan to work them into the wild? these ones from san diego

Probably not...and really...should they?
It's proven that the species can't survive alone without our help...because of us but that's done...
So should we throw the species back out there and just hope they can take care of themselves...or do we keep breeding them and try and up their #'s?

Thinking they'll do better with freedom than having a comfortable and more importantly, protected and safe home...THAT is BS...

Nalyd Psycho
09-28-2003, 10:26 PM
"Die they must die, every single one of them, the pandas must die."

-Corky and the Juice Pigs.

Serena587
09-29-2003, 04:54 AM
Well, I love pandas (and polar bears)...they're so cute!! Thanks for the link!! :rolly:

USC Trojans
09-29-2003, 07:51 AM
One of my roommates (who I hated oh-so-much), was obsessed with this stuffed panda bear. He called it PJ Panda, and he'd try to act cute with it in front of the girls. This guy was a 20 year old hairy Paki guy, and he was playing with stuffed toys.
Drove me nuts.

#37-#93-#27*
09-29-2003, 01:37 PM

Uhh.. relax dude, Zoos do more good then bad. If not for zoo's, animals would probably be treated terribly and there would probably be a huge decrease in overall population of certain species