Nine More Headed To Manitoba

fergo
09-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Find out who here:

http://www.moosehockey.com/news/press_releases2.php?press_id=30

kmad
09-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Today, the Vancouver Canucks reduced their training camp roster to 27 players by assigning nine players to the Manitoba Moose. The players assigned back to Manitoba were defencemen Dallas Eakins, Mikko Jokela and Jaroslav Obsut as well as forwards Tyler Bouck, Pat Kavanagh, Zenith Komarniski, Fedor Fedorov, Brandon Reid and Jimmy Roy.

Who does this leave at the camp?

Peter Griffin
09-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Who does this leave at the camp?

Kesler, King, Keane and Baumgartner and the rest of the regular Canucks. Not sure if there is anyone else...

monster_bertuzzi
09-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Wow! I guess all the Bouck lovers will be crushed.

fergo
09-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Kesler, King, Keane and Baumgartner and the rest of the regular Canucks. Not sure if there is anyone else...
Ryan Ready is the only other one I can think of.

MVP
09-29-2003, 10:39 AM
i don't think Canucks will risk losing Allen or Slegr on wavier, so Baumer will be sent down if it comes down to the number game.

The hot battle is the last forward position where Kesler surprisely has the edge over all the others. He is already responsible defensively and was not predicted as a guy with tremendous offensive skill. Therefore he might be the kind of guy where the development can occur in the NHL level with limited ice time. Justin Williams as a recent example. An other example that Marc Crawford brough up is Adam Deadmarsh, who made the NHL at the age of 19 and scores 19 points in 48 games and +16 rating. Klesler is definately a very interesting possibility where he can really generate speed, energy and youth during a playoff run much like Morrow and other before him. However, it is just too early to just hand him the job without seeing what he can do in the regular season, i mean we already see what happened to Steve Kariya, Fedor and Druken. I am sure Klesler is a different kind of player, but wait and see approach is always the best.

King will be a quality offensive player in the NHL, but i am not sure that spot is available this season within the Canucks, well at less not for a rookie.

Keane, again if Canucks decide it will be the best scenrio for Kesler and King to further develop with the Moose, than the spot will be up to Keane and Ready, i think Crawford will go with the proven veteran in Keane in such scenario.

orcatown
09-29-2003, 11:00 AM
Agree MVP that Kesler is ahead. Frankly he has looked better from the rest of the bubble players from the start.

This drives a large stake through the NHL career of Tyler Bouck. Those that contemplated protecting him were wildly off base. Bouck has, I repeat, career minor leaguer written all over him. He can bang around and work hard but has no where near the finish necessary for the NHL.

Could say much the same for Kavanagh. Can't skate at an NHL level. Should , however, have a good year in Manitoba. Maybe help lead them to the Calder Cup.

Both Fedor and Reid were major dissapointments at camp. Both appear stalled in their careers. Hope for Reid has to be fading. Still he's very dedicated and that might give him a long term chance. FF needs a huge year, and its possible, in Manitoba to get back on track.

Of the rest only Jokela seems to have much future chance with the Canucks. Good at most things but exceptional at nothing he appears to upper level AHL player who will live on the fringes of the NHL.

MVP
09-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Agree MVP that Kesler is ahead. Frankly he has looked better from the rest of the bubble players from the start.

This drives a large stake through the NHL career of Tyler Bouck. Those that contemplated protecting him were wildly off base. Bouck has, I repeat, career minor leaguer written all over him. He can bang around and work hard but has no where near the finish necessary for the NHL.

Could say much the same for Kavanagh. Can't skate at an NHL level. Should , however, have a good year in Manitoba. Maybe help lead them to the Calder Cup.

Both Fedor and Reid were major dissapointments at camp. Both appear stalled in their careers. Hope for Reid has to be fading. Still he's very dedicated and that might give him a long term chance. FF needs a huge year, and its possible, in Manitoba to get back on track.

Of the rest only Jokela seems to have much future chance with the Canucks. Good at most things but exceptional at nothing he appears to upper level AHL player who will live on the fringes of the NHL.

Agree, this excat same point is illustrated by Tony Gallagher, damn i hate to agree with Tony Gallagher :p in his articles

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/columnists/story.asp?id=88A30511-C01E-409D-AD43-4FBEC2796670

When we look at all the star or very good player within the Canucks team, we can see that most of them makes it to the NHL in relatively young age. Bertuzzi, Nazzy, Ohlund, Jovo, Cloutier, Chubby, Cooke and Linden spent very little time in the minor, if at all. The main point is the good players in the NHL has tremendous skill set that is very obvious even at the age of 18 years old. On the other hand, not to suggest that the minor league is crap, they are useful for development of second tier players in the NHL, like Scott Walker and Conroy. So it is nice to have a good farm team and some of the prospects might look good in those game, but some of them are AHL material like you have suggested.

Mr. Canucklehead
09-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Looks like Kesler is making a strong impression, which bodes well given this is his first pro camp ever. I think that given the game he plays, the steady defensive one, looks good for him because offensive camp standouts in the past--like Fedorov and Kariya--had their rather one dimensional games exposed and since they couldn't play defense, were off to the minors. Kesler can play defense in spades, and the offense is coming along slowly. I could see him pushing for the 4th line center roll, especially if Lindgren continues to have back problems.

~Canucklehead~

Mizral
09-29-2003, 12:48 PM

Do you all doubt my genius now!?!?

More cuts coming Monday... thread

Kesler, King, Keane, and Baumgartner. The rest will be sent down. In fact, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see King sent down, too.

It's becoming aparant that Keane isn't going to get a contract, though..

Bow before me, acolytes! :D

Tom.H
09-29-2003, 01:50 PM
It would seem to me that it is easier to break into the NHL for forwards than it is for defencemen.
I don't have any statistics in front of me to prove this point, so it is possible that I am wrong about this. But I base that on just my observations over the years.
Feel free to challenge my findings (with real proof if you can), at least that way I will know if my observations are correct.

MVP
09-29-2003, 01:55 PM
It would seem to me that it is easier to break into the NHL for forwards than it is for defencemen.
I don't have any statistics in front of me to prove this point, so it is possible that I am wrong about this. But I base that on just my observations over the years.
Feel free to challenge my findings (with real proof if you can), at least that way I will know if my observations are correct.

There are 12 starting forward spots in comparison to 6 for defenceman. Your observations are right, because more spots = more possibility. Much like it is very hard for goalie to make it to the NHL nowadays, even players like JS take several years to establish himself.

Waveburner
09-29-2003, 05:05 PM
orca, why do you read so much into every single decision? Not every demotion means that player is an AHL lifer. You basically dismissed every prospect other than Kesler as having NHL potential. Thank god you are not running the Canucks. These players are being sent down because there is ONE spot on the team. Careers are not made in one preseason.

I am very disappointed in what our prospects have shown in preseason, but I'm still not naive enough to dismiss them.

Or maybe I am just reading your post wrong...but it seems to me I've read several such posts from you in the past, all rashly dismissing a prospect, based usually on a bare minimum of first-hand knowledge. Why is that?

Fedz
09-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Agree, this excat same point is illustrated by Tony Gallagher, damn i hate to agree with Tony Gallagher :p in his articles

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/columnists/story.asp?id=88A30511-C01E-409D-AD43-4FBEC2796670

When we look at all the star or very good player within the Canucks team, we can see that most of them makes it to the NHL in relatively young age. Bertuzzi, Nazzy, Ohlund, Jovo, Cloutier, Chubby, Cooke and Linden spent very little time in the minor, if at all. The main point is the good players in the NHL has tremendous skill set that is very obvious even at the age of 18 years old. On the other hand, not to suggest that the minor league is crap, they are useful for development of second tier players in the NHL, like Scott Walker and Conroy. So it is nice to have a good farm team and some of the prospects might look good in those game, but some of them are AHL material like you have suggested.

I COMPLETELY agree with that article...thats one of the best articles besides the Canucks Win The Cup!! article i've seen Tony write!