Do Reid a favor trade him....

I on you
09-29-2003, 01:06 PM
because he will not get a chance with Vancouver and there are teams that he would be in the line up right now. If given the right players to play with, this kid will shine. He has done it time and time again. This camp prooved nothing , he was given a bunch of muckers except once and you can`t perform with that. All I read is how all the others have done so great, well show me on paper how great they have done? Not one prospect has tore up camp not one. Kessler gets a push in goal at the side of the net and King gets a empty netter, OK so I am wrong they tore up camp. Like I said do the kid a favor trade him.

SedinFan*
09-29-2003, 01:21 PM
no way you trade him, not yet atleast.

Give him a full season with the Moose, then play him regularely in the NHL. There'll be a few holes open after this coming season.

NFITO
09-29-2003, 01:39 PM
while we're at it why don't we deal Ohlund, since he can be the main guy on some team, and not in the shadow of Jovo... or let's deal Bertuzzi, since he can be #1 instead of playing 2nd fiddle to Naslund??

let's deal Allen, since he could be a top 5 on many teams, but is fighting to be a regular on ours??

umm... maybe we shouldn't be worried about doing other teams favors, or young prospects who are still a few years from having to go through waivers, and instead focus on doing this team a favor! and that means keeping Reid!

the waivers are just for this purpose, so teams don't put pro players in the minors when they could be playing in the NHL on other teams... Reid has to earn that right first, and he hasn't done it.

orcatown
09-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Reid has to show more than he did. And why put down the efforts of King and Kesler. Whatever thay did or didn't do has nothing to do with assessing Reid. The fact that Reid did not get more glowing reports is because he didn't deserve them - not some alleged conspiracy against him.

galiano
09-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Reid will be back as soon as one of our centres gets injured or if they need some additional scoring. He's got a great attitude so he'll go to Manitoba and work his ass of and he'll soon be back in Vancouver.
There is no way Burke trades this kid. Makes no sense at all.

maruk14
09-29-2003, 04:16 PM
It's going to take Reid a while to get used to the extra weight he was said to have been put on during the offseason. Sopel struggled for 3 months with all the weight he put on, and Reid is probably no different. Especially considering his game is built around speed.

Why would we trade him? He had a bit of a poor camp and is going to start with the Moose. He wasn't expected to make the team out of camp anyway. We are pretty set down the midde with Morrison, Hank, Chubarov, and Lindgren. Barring injury the best thing for him to do is play ..... a lot. Not the 8-10 minutes he would get up with the big club.

Waveburner
09-29-2003, 04:26 PM
Right, because an offensive player who managed 55 pts in the AHL last season clearly is too good for the minors, and is just wasting away down there...:rolleyes: Reid is not NHL ready. He is also only 22. Still plenty of time...

B.C. Brian
09-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Reid has to show more than he did. And why put down the efforts of King and Kesler. Whatever thay did or didn't do has nothing to do with assessing Reid. The fact that Reid did not get more glowing reports is because he didn't deserve them - not some alleged conspiracy against him.

Do you honestly think Kesler outperformed Reid in the preseason? Not even close. While were at it, Keane has not done squat. Oh goody, Burke is gonna keep Keane, Langdon and May...that sure keeps up with the big boys in the West. Those three and Chuby's 16 minutes a game is what kills this team.

Waveburner
09-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Do you honestly think Kesler outperformed Reid in the preseason? Not even close. While were at it, Keane has not done squat. Oh goody, Burke is gonna keep Keane, Langdon and May...that sure keeps up with the big boys in the West. Those three and Chuby's 16 minutes a game is what kills this team.

Actually its the complete lack of a cohesive team D that kills the Canucks. Our 4th line is on par with 95% of the rest of the league...

LaVal
09-29-2003, 06:18 PM
Do you honestly think Kesler outperformed Reid in the preseason?

easily

Peter Griffin
09-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Do you honestly think Kesler outperformed Reid in the preseason? Not even close.

Kesler outplayed Reid in all aspects, and he's 3 years younger with zero professional experience.

iceburg
09-29-2003, 09:53 PM
because he will not get a chance with Vancouver and there are teams that he would be in the line up right now.

And I supposed you also believe that no other teams have offensively gifted players under 5'10" in their systems. The AHL is full of players who have a tonne of talent but can't play in the NHL because they don't have the right balance of skills (how many names on the list below do you recognize??). The Canucks would get absolutely nothing for Reid in a trade right now....a mid round draft choice. It's simple supply and demand. IMO Until Reid shows that he is a dominant player at the AHL level despite his size, he won't make the Canucks and he won't be worth very much in a trade.
So your stock tip is to buy high/sell low??

AHL 02/03
Brandon Reid Manitoba 73 18 36 54

PLAYER TEAM GP G A PTS
-------------------- ----------------- -- -- -- ---
Steve Maltais CHICAGO 79 30 56 86
Jean-Guy Trudel HOUSTON 79 31 54 85
Michel Picard GRAND RAPIDS 78 32 52 84
Mark Mowers GRAND RAPIDS 78 34 47 81
Simon Gamache CHICAGO 76 35 42 77
Keith Aucoin PROVIDENCE 78 25 51 76
Darren Haydar MILWAUKEE 75 29 46 75
Cory Larose HARTFORD 82 27 48 75
Mark Greig PHILADELPHIA 73 30 44 74
Craig Darby ALBANY 76 23 51 74
Eric Healey MANCHESTER 75 42 31 73
Matt Herr PROVIDENCE 77 34 38 72
Jason Ward HAMILTON 69 31 41 72
Stacy Roest GRAND RAPIDS 70 24 48 72
Trent Hunter BRIDGEPORT 70 30 41 71
Andy Hilbert PROVIDENCE 64 35 35 70
Lee Goren PROVIDENCE 65 32 37 69
Jim Montgomery UTAH 72 22 46 68
Michael Ryder HAMILTON 69 34 33 67
Chris Taylor ROCHESTER 61 12 55 67

andora
09-30-2003, 12:16 AM
Mark Mowers GRAND RAPIDS 78 34 47 81
Matt Herr PROVIDENCE 77 34 38 72
Jim Montgomery UTAH 72 22 46 68

i love these guys :D

cyrisweb
09-30-2003, 01:00 AM
I'm not agreeing that we should just up and trade him...
But where does he really fit it our future lineup?
He's not a top line scorer. Second line centre is filled for the long time future. We also have Chubarov, Kesler, and Smith all who are better suited to a 3rd or 4th line role. Unless a big trade happens.. who knows..

He could switch over to wing.. but even then he's going to be hard pressed. I don't see any real.. 'place' for him. I like him a lot but think he could be a throw in for a team weak down the middle depth wise.