Fastest prospect??

MaxShine99
09-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Who is the fastest prospect dasn the fastest NHLer??

Prospect : Brandon Reid ,Vancouver
NHler: Fedorov

#37-#93-#27*
09-29-2003, 02:21 PM
prospect: Koltsov
NHLer: Koltsov

Slats432
09-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Prospect: Tony Salmelainen(EDM) and Konstantin Koltsov(PIT)

NHLer: Jason Chimera was clocked with the fastest time ever in a lap around an NHL rink, so to be the man, you have to beat the man.

Whinks
09-29-2003, 03:29 PM
Prospect-Jeff Carter (Flyers)

PhoPhan
09-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Prospect- Fredrik Sjostrom.

Godzilla
09-29-2003, 03:56 PM
Semin's got wheels, can be slippery. ;)

shveik
09-29-2003, 04:07 PM
I am not sure who is the fastest, but the most important thing IMO is not the top speed but acceleration, explosiveness. The top speed across top NHLer doesnt vary a lot, but an explosive first few steps let a player get in the clear while the other is picking up speed. So to me the rink lap doesn't mean much, but say a 30foot dash and back is a much more accurate measure.

Hossa
09-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Antoine Vermette is defenitely right up there. Two years ago in training camp, they took his skating times in camp, and it was better than anybody else in the Sen history. THat includes Hossa, Havlat, Shawn McEachearn and so forth. He's pure speed, right up there with guys like Koltsov.

David A. Rainer
09-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Jeff Tambellini is quite possibly the fastest prospect in the college ranks. I don't know how he would match up against all the rest though.

JasonMacIsaac
09-29-2003, 04:10 PM
Nolan is that fast? He never seemed to be that fast at devils camps. He is pretty big with loads of offense also, I hope he works out in Vancouver.

JasonMacIsaac
09-29-2003, 04:12 PM
The only prospect of NJ thats fast is Teemu Laine, he is mach type fast, he can't do anything else though lol. I want a closer look of him in North America though.

DJ Spinoza
09-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Player: Chimera, obviously
Prospect: Koltsov

I've never seen Chimera, so for all I know Koltsov is the fastest period. I've seen Koltsov though, live too, and he is the fastest thing I've ever seen.

JasonMacIsaac
09-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Anyone from Finland to compare Laine to other players. I once heard he could be the fastest in Finland, I doubt this is true but I bet he is fast though.

nazzy
09-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Nolan is that fast? He never seemed to be that fast at devils camps. He is pretty big with loads of offense also, I hope he works out in Vancouver.

:p He said Brandon Reid not Nolan. ;)

JasonMacIsaac
09-29-2003, 05:32 PM
There we go, its all making sence now.

PhoPhan
09-29-2003, 05:40 PM
I am not sure who is the fastest, but the most important thing IMO is not the top speed but acceleration, explosiveness. The top speed across top NHLer doesnt vary a lot, but an explosive first few steps let a player get in the clear while the other is picking up speed. So to me the rink lap doesn't mean much, but say a 30foot dash and back is a much more accurate measure.

That's why I picked Sjostrom. The kid has wheels, but he can also hit full speed in about 3 strides or so. And he isn't a little guy either.

Team_Spirit
09-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Josef Balej is lightning !

Steve Latin*
09-29-2003, 07:20 PM

Exactly, didn't Shawn Heins set some sort of record for skating around a rink, but he looked like an average skater, at best, for the Pens. Meanwhile, Kolstov has explosive acceleration. I don't think I've seen anyone with a better first 3 strides than him other than Bure.

S L

Winston Wolf
09-29-2003, 07:58 PM
Carter wasn't even the fastest player in his draft class.
He won the fastest skater competition in the OHL or something like that, but I think that Koltsov is definitely the fastest prospect right now.

#37-#93-#27*
09-29-2003, 08:08 PM
He won the fastest skater competition in the OHL or something like that, but I think that Koltsov is definitely the fastest prospect right now.
Not every prospect is in the OHL.

Niedermayer21
09-29-2003, 08:10 PM
NHLers: 1. Scott Niedermayer, 2. Rico Fata

Prospects: 1. Ralph Klassen :D , 2. Gene Carr ;)

Winston Wolf
09-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Not every prospect is in the OHL.
Really? Thanks, I didn't know that. :rolleyes:
I was just stating that he must be pretty fast if he won the fastest skater competition in the OHL.

#37-#93-#27*
09-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Really? Thanks, I didn't know that. :rolleyes:
I was just stating that he must be pretty fast if he won the fastest skater competition in the OHL.
No problem.

Ajacied
09-29-2003, 09:51 PM
NHLer : Rico Fata

Prospects: Polak, Koltsov, Tambellini

Polak has decent speed, but by no means is he among the fastest prospects. Much less the fastest on the Stars, I'd give that nod to Jokinen. or Trevor Daley.

Fastest prospect? Tough call.. though I know for sure Daley is one of them.

aki
09-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Koltsov is fast. So is Rooneem.

Behn Wilson
09-29-2003, 11:54 PM
I dont know how he stacks up against the other NHL prospects but Blackhawks defenseman prospect Duncan Keith has some serious wheels and is the Hawks fastest prospect. Anyone know if he competed in any kind of fastest skater competition in college or juniors? I would be curious to see how he fared.

I was upset when the Hawks passed on Jiri Hudler and took Duncan Keith but after seeing his speed and how well he moves the puck I think he fits a Hawk organizational need better than Hudler and I now like the pick. He still needs to put on some weight but he looks to have a bright future.

Sampe
09-30-2003, 02:07 AM
Anyone from Finland to compare Laine to other players. I once heard he could be the fastest in Finland, I doubt this is true but I bet he is fast though.

According to Jääkiekkolehti (the most popular Finnish hockey magazine in Finland - not necessarily the best), the fastest skaters/team this season are:

Blues - Teemu Elomo
HIFK - Timo Pärssinen
HPK - Jyrki Louhi
Ilves - Marko Luomala
Jokerit - Teemu Laine
JYP - Jaakko Uhlbäck
Kärpät - Pekka Saarenheimo
Lukko - Toni Koivisto
Pelicans - Oliver Setzinger
SaiPa - Sami Kaartinen
Tappara - Kimmo Koskenkorva
TPS - Mika Alatalo
Ässät - Tuomo Harjula

Considering Marko Jantunen (who won the fastest skater competition at the Finnish national team vs. the SM-liiga All Stars game several years ago) plays for Jokerit, Laine has to be pretty darn fast and there's a possibility that he's the fastest skater in the SM-liiga right now. But of the Finnish prospects, Salmelainen is probably a bit faster.

JasonMacIsaac
09-30-2003, 02:41 AM
He used to be a competitive speed skater so I guess that can help.

Naoned
09-30-2003, 05:04 AM
I've often read that Balej was extremely fast

Evilo
09-30-2003, 06:54 AM
Well here's something that makes you wonder.
When asked about his incredible speed, Koltsov answers that there's a guy in Russia who's MUCH faster than him.
You got to wonder how it is possible.
I'll try to find the guy's name in the article somewhere, and maybe some russians posters can help us...

Ajacied
09-30-2003, 07:01 AM
From what I read during the draft the guy can fly and he was one of the fastest in the draft.

Somehow there's something special about his speed. Several article's list that he has decent speed, some that he should work on his skating, and then you have some that mentions he is very fast..

I just choose the middle.. savest..

Joey24
09-30-2003, 07:41 AM
Prospect: Tony Salmelainen(EDM) and Konstantin Koltsov(PIT)

NHLer: Jason Chimera was clocked with the fastest time ever in a lap around an NHL rink, so to be the man, you have to beat the man.

I agree I think Jason Chimera is the fastest player in the league bar none..

Robert Paulson*
09-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Prospect: Konstantin Koltsov
NHLer: Konstantin Koltsov

'nuff said..

Robert Paulson*
09-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Just incase not everyone has seen it:

http://pittsburghpenguins.com/multimedia/files/092603-Koltsovgoal3a.rm

I, for one, have never seen a person flip the puck over the defenders on a dump then proceed to beat them to it and score a goal. I think Koltsov will be the leader in self-assists.

tom_servo
09-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Well here's something that makes you wonder.
When asked about his incredible speed, Koltsov answers that there's a guy in Russia who's MUCH faster than him.
You got to wonder how it is possible.
I'll try to find the guy's name in the article somewhere, and maybe some russians posters can help us...

Koltsov's also very modest. He says that guys like Meloche and Fata are probably faster than him, but Pens fans know they're not.

PhoPhan
09-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Just incase not everyone has seen it:

http://pittsburghpenguins.com/multimedia/files/092603-Koltsovgoal3a.rm

I, for one, have never seen a person flip the puck over the defenders on a dump then proceed to beat them to it and score a goal. I think Koltsov will be the leader in self-assists.

It was a nice goal, and he is obviously very fast, but it wasn't that special. he merely outskated one or two defenders on the BJ's.

tom_servo
09-30-2003, 12:51 PM
It was a nice goal, and he is obviously very fast, but it wasn't that special. he merely outskated one or two defenders on the BJ's.

Exactly what I thought. I've seen Koltsov faster than that.

Vincent_TheGreat
09-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Prospect - Vermette

IGM
09-30-2003, 01:36 PM
1 Koltsov
2 Tambellini
3. Pushkaryov

They said prospects didn't they? Chimera is ungodly fast for the pros.

DJ Spinoza
09-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Evilo, the guy you are thinking of is Vladislav Bryzgalov from the Russian League.

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins/20030914pens0914np3.asp

reffree
09-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Martin Samuelson is suppose to be very quick
but don't know if is faster than Koltsov...
don't have see Koltsow play

highjumper
09-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Martin Samuelson is suppose to be very quick
but don't know if is faster than Koltsov...
don't have see Koltsow play

While Eager's offensive skills are still developing, it's surprising that he doesn't get more recognition for his skating skills - especially since he is one of the fastest ...

nordique
09-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Tie Domi won the fastest skater competition for the Leafs last year...

#37-#93-#27*
09-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Tie Domi won the fastest skater competition for the Leafs last year...
Well that puts things into perspective. :joker:

momentai
09-30-2003, 06:57 PM
I agree I think Jason Chimera is the fastest player in the league bar none..

Food for thought. The Oiler prospect Tony Salmalainen might just be faster if not equal to Jason in speed.

tom_servo
09-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Can't we race these guys in some kind of speed skating derby?

Koltsov to win, Chimera for place, Balej for show...

Evilo
09-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Evilo, the guy you are thinking of is Vladislav Bryzgalov from the Russian League.

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins/20030914pens0914np3.asp
Yes.
I would be interested in hearing our russians' poster opinion on this guy.
He has to be FAST.

dink182
10-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Pavel Bure in his prime. Others may be able to match his top speed, but Bure has blinding acceleration. Forget the lap times, Bure's a world class gamebraker.

Scott Niedermayer is a phenomenal skater back on D.

Straka is underrated.

Bandon Reid is one fast squirt, too.

Whatever happened to Selanne and Kariya? Selanne was fast in Winnipeg and Kariya was too in the late 90's. Haven't seen either one fly down the ice in a while.

eh
10-11-2003, 01:38 AM
Considering Marko Jantunen (who won the fastest skater competition at the Finnish national team vs. the SM-liiga All Stars game several years ago) plays for Jokerit, Laine has to be pretty darn fast and there's a possibility that he's the fastest skater in the SM-liiga right now. But of the Finnish prospects, Salmelainen is probably a bit faster.

It just depends on what is meant by "fastest skater". If they'd skate around the rink once or twice, I'd say that Salmelainen is faster, too, but if it was just a 10-20 meter spurt, Laine would win. His acceleration is just amazing. I've never seen a hockey player who could compete with his first couple of steps.

P.U.S.H.
10-13-2003, 04:57 AM
Balej #1

Boomhower
10-13-2003, 10:09 AM
Food for thought. The Oiler prospect Tony Salmalainen might just be faster if not equal to Jason in speed.

What about Niinimaki, how fast is he? I remember when the oilers took him in the first round a couple years ago and said it was mainly because they liked his skating.(He wasn't rated highly by CS)