14th forward?

maruk14
09-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Assuming our top 13 forwards are pretty well set, although the waiver draft may change things, who do you think gets the 14th forward slot?

The remaining guys in camp are Keane, Kesler, King. Who ends up starting the season with the big club?

I think it will be Kesler. He has had a good camp, and they drafted him because he was the most NHL ready of any prospect. He has held his own by all accounts this preseason, and can play both C and RW, the latter being an area the team is thin. I also think it is good to reward a player who has stood out among the prospects this camp.

Second choice would be King, for the same reason as Kesler, he has played well during camp and made himself noticed. He is a player that kind of came from out of nowhere last season and has continued to impress.

Reign Nateo
09-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Putting an 18/19 year old in the NHL as a 14th forward and giving him 6-10 minutes a night when he actually does play is not a good idea in my opinion. Give it to Keane, he is a vet and if nothing else provides leadership, let Kesler get 20-25 minutes a game in Manitoba.

Waveburner
09-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Keane...

King would regress sitting in the press box...

It could be Kesler, but I wouldn't keep him here...a full AHL season will really help him out...no need to rush him into the NHL...

Peter Griffin
09-29-2003, 05:36 PM
The only way I see Kesler sticking with the big club is if he is given a spot as a top 12 forward. At his age, playing every other day is not good for his development. IMO, he has earned a spot on the team, but playing him as the 13th forward is not good. If the Canucks lose a player like Ruutu or Lindgren at the waiver draft, then he'll likely be given the job, but otherwise, he's best suited to playing 15-20min/game with the Moose like Reign stated. I think Keane will get signed and be given the job as 13th/14th forwad.

maruk14
09-29-2003, 05:49 PM
It could be Kesler, but I wouldn't keep him here...a full AHL season will really help him out...no need to rush him into the NHL...

Unless they think he is ready. If he isn't then you send him down. At least it will give him a taste of the NHL and something to work towards. It's just the start of the season, it's not like he has to stay up all year if we start the season with him. He could always be sent down.

On the choice of Keane for the final roster spot ...

I don't think commiting to him for an entire season is a good thing. He has been slowing down for a few years now, and looked washed up last season. He would provide leadership, but little else. Save the roster spot for a rotating Moose player and more roster flexibility during the season.

SopelFan*
09-29-2003, 06:17 PM
I would try Kesler in a few games and if he looks as good as he does now, make Chubarov or someone expendable for a second liner RW?

Dr. Nucksfan
09-29-2003, 06:28 PM
If the Nucks keep King around, he should play on one of the top three lines. He's a sniper with some speed and while he's not that overpowering physically, he's got some size and some hockey smarts. In other words, potential. He should hone his scoring in the minors playing on one of the top two lines, not playing 8 to 12 minutes in the NHL.

Kesler is a longshot though he's physically strong, fast enough and besides he's not going to be a goalscorer in the Bigs. But that's potentially screwing with his development.

Ergo, Keane has made the team. He and Langdon can take turns, depending on the opposition.

SopelFan*
09-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Crawford was saying in today's Sun that he expects the team to go with 22 players, one under the limit to save costs. So that would mean the Canucks will only have one extra forward (Langdon), assuming Slegr or Allen is the 7th d-man.
Langdon has a hurt finger... so he can't fight, making him useless.

nuksforlife
09-29-2003, 06:41 PM

IMO Langdon is useless period, get rid of him and keep Keane and either King or Kesler up with the big club to start the season.

Waveburner
09-29-2003, 07:14 PM

Link? Sorry, but I have not heard anything about that. Unless you are referring to last season. In which case, just how many months do you think it takes a finger to heal?

canucksfan
09-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Keane will be the best person for the 14th forward spot. Kesler should play in Manitoba.

Bobby Lou
09-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Unless they think he is ready. If he isn't then you send him down. At least it will give him a taste of the NHL and something to work towards. It's just the start of the season, it's not like he has to stay up all year if we start the season with him. He could always be sent down.

On the choice of Keane for the final roster spot ...

I don't think commiting to him for an entire season is a good thing. He has been slowing down for a few years now, and looked washed up last season. He would provide leadership, but little else. Save the roster spot for a rotating Moose player and more roster flexibility during the season.

Though I'm hesitant on Keane as well for similar reasons....I've been hearing some fairly positive reports of his perfomance in camp...how he was in great shape when reporting, etc.

Since I haven't personally seen Keane play recently, I don't think I can make the call persay...I'll have to assume the coaches make the right move based on whether or not Keane can still contribute as well as a decision on the state of Kesler and King's developments.

I suppose I'll be happy either way...I mean, it isn't exactly a BAD place to be in. :D

iceburg
09-29-2003, 09:02 PM
It would be great to see Kesler on the third line between Linden and Cooke (at least for the first 15-20 games). It wouldn't hurt to rest Lindgren for the first quarter of the season then ease him back in before Christmas. It may help Lindgren's durability in the second half of the year. Kesler also wouldn't be much of a downgrade especially since he would be playing his heart out for the first 20 games.
The alternative of keeping Keane just doesn't make sense since Keane could really only play on the fourth line and it would be a significant downgrade at that.
Of course, another scenario would be to keep both Keane and Kesler and get rid of Langdon. This is actually my preference provided that guys like May and Allen play agressively.

Peter Griffin
09-29-2003, 09:55 PM
IMO, the re-signing of May makes Langdon completely expendable. Hopefully he gets picked up in the waiver draft so the Canucks can use that roster spot for someone who can play a regular shift...

About keeping Kesler with the big club, if he plays more than a certain ammount of games with the Canucks this season(10 or more games I believe) it makes him ineligible to be sent down to the minors. Makes his siutation a little more interesting...

SopelFan*
09-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Link? Sorry, but I have not heard anything about that. Unless you are referring to last season. In which case, just how many months do you think it takes a finger to heal?
I dunno. They said he was hurt still. He also seems to be against dropping the gloves. He's useless if he doesn't fight.

iceburg
09-29-2003, 10:32 PM
IMO, the re-signing of May makes Langdon completely expendable. Hopefully he gets picked up in the waiver draft so the Canucks can use that roster spot for someone who can play a regular shift...

About keeping Kesler with the big club, if he plays more than a certain ammount of games with the Canucks this season(10 or more games I believe) it makes him ineligible to be sent down to the minors. Makes his siutation a little more interesting...

I'm not positive about the exact rules but I think the number of games you're refering to is related to the ability to send him back to junior (not the minors). A player has to play at least a couple of years professionally before he has to clear waivers to be sent down.

In any case, I just heard Crawford talking about Kesler. He said Kesler has done "more" than they expected which I guess is an obvious statement at this stage. He also said he is still Junior eligible and will likely play at the World Juniors for the US. Not sure what to read into this statement? Wondering what the rules are for Junior players...Maybe the Canucks are planning to keep Kesler at least until the WJC tournament and then send him to Manitoba?

Waveburner
09-29-2003, 10:36 PM
I dunno. They said he was hurt still. He also seems to be against dropping the gloves. He's useless if he doesn't fight.

Against dropping the gloves? I am pretty sure he is just trying to get through pre-season healthy. He has nothing, I repeat NOTHING to prove fight-wise in the NHL. He has handled the Domi's, Worrell's, etc. Why risk injury for a stupid pre-season game?

Waveburner
09-29-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm not positive about the exact rules but I think the number of games you're refering to is related to the ability to send him back to junior (not the minors). A player has to play at least a couple of years professionally before he has to clear waivers to be sent down.

In any case, I just heard Crawford talking about Kesler. He said Kesler has done "more" than they expected which I guess is an obvious statement at this stage. He also said he is still Junior eligible and will likely play at the World Juniors for the US. Not sure what to read into this statement? Wondering what the rules are for Junior players...Maybe the Canucks are planning to keep Kesler at least until the WJC tournament and then send him to Manitoba?

Doubtful, if he is still playing for the Canucks come WJC time, why send him away and hurt the team? Presumably, the only way Kesler sticks is as an every day player, not press box fodder. It makes no sense to lose an every day player to WJC in a Cup-contending season. Kesler, IMO, will likely only play in the WJC if he is in Manitoba.

Peter Griffin
09-29-2003, 10:46 PM

No, it refers to minor league as well. I remember that Chubarov was affected by this rule and couldn't be sent down in his first pro season(ended up playing around 40 games with the Canucks). The rule has to do with players playing their first NHL games before they are 20. I'm not completely sure about the rules, but I think that if a player plays 10 or more NHL games during his first pro season before he turns 20, he can't be sent back down to the farm without clearing waivers. I'm not completely sure on the details though...

iceburg
09-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Doubtful, if he is still playing for the Canucks come WJC time, why send him away and hurt the team? Presumably, the only way Kesler sticks is as an every day player, not press box fodder. It makes no sense to lose an every day player to WJC in a Cup-contending season. Kesler, IMO, will likely only play in the WJC if he is in Manitoba.

Makes sense. So it looks like he's either impressive enough to stick for the whole season or he plays the majority of the year in Manitoba. It'll come down to a numbers game anyway and if Crawford wants to keep Keane then it's a lot easier to send Kesler down.

iceburg
09-29-2003, 11:04 PM
No, it refers to minor league as well. I remember that Chubarov was affected by this rule and couldn't be sent down in his first pro season(ended up playing around 40 games with the Canucks). The rule has to do with players playing their first NHL games before they are 20. I'm not completely sure about the rules, but I think that if a player plays 10 or more NHL games during his first pro season before he turns 20, he can't be sent back down to the farm without clearing waivers. I'm not completely sure on the details though...

There must be somewhere on the web that you can find these rules. Does anyone know?

PecaFan
09-29-2003, 11:31 PM

Sorry, I think you're wrong on this one. The only thing magical about the 10 game mark is that's when a contract becomes official. Under 10 games, and your signed contract doesn't kick in yet. Over ten games, and it's one of your official years on whatever deal you have.

http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/09/151652.html