Whose Mario gonna play with..?

Qubax
09-29-2003, 04:35 PM
Straka? Morozov? Abid? Survoy? anyone else...?

Quellet The Dogs Out
09-29-2003, 05:05 PM
Just roaming around... but in preseason I believe he has been playing/practicing with Straka and Koltsov.

look out for orpik
09-29-2003, 05:16 PM
he needs to play with a PF on his line at least. i mean im all for koltsov bein on that line more than morozov (considering i strongly dislike morozov). i like koltsov alot, but hes not gonna drop the gloves if someone is abusing lemieux during their shift.

spence___
09-29-2003, 05:24 PM
i like koltsov alot, but hes not gonna drop the gloves if someone is abusing lemieux during their shift.

Says who? He's gotten in fights while he played with the Baby Pens and he does play with something of a meanstreak.

DJ Spinoza
09-29-2003, 05:25 PM
Koltsov - Lemieux - Morozov

That's what I'd like to see. However, that only leaves one center on the line. I think Koltsov is a lock on the line just because of his speed. The other spot may end up going to Fata or Straka.

look out for orpik
09-29-2003, 05:44 PM
Says who? He's gotten in fights while he played with the Baby Pens and he does play with something of a meanstreak.

i have no doubt that hes a gritty guy, but i cannot see him trying to fight a donald brashear or a jody shelley, who may be out against lemieux just to rattle him and get him off his game. but you dont want him to get to killed do u? :dunno: when you have a PF on that line, it gives lemieux more room. i dont understand why some ppl dont like the idea of havin a PF on his line. :dunno:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-29-2003, 05:54 PM
He might not fight the heavyweights, but he would probably give a nasty slash to the other teams top players.

look out for orpik
09-29-2003, 05:57 PM
hey thats fine, nuthin like a good slash :rolly: but i mean you gotta have someone tough on that line or else theyre gonna be pushed around

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
09-29-2003, 06:05 PM
That is why I would rather see Simpson on the team rather than McKenna, maybe log 5-7 minutes a game. If they do it to Mario, than the pens can do it right back to their top players. Besides, I can't see anybody taking too many shots at Mario this year because other teams won't need to do that just to beat us. He is the main threat and everybody knows it, but after him only Straka and Morozov look to break the 20 goal barrier unless someone else steps up (Fata?).

spence___
09-29-2003, 06:14 PM
hey thats fine, nuthin like a good slash :rolly: but i mean you gotta have someone tough on that line or else theyre gonna be pushed around

I think your overrating it. Focht, Melichar and Berehowsky can all fight and Abid could work his way up to the first line.

My ideal lines would be

Abid-Fata-Lemieux
Straka-Kraft-Morozov
Murley-Holzinger-Koltsov

Speed Kills
09-29-2003, 06:15 PM
If someone takes a cheap shot at Mario Mckenna can always come off the bench and handle the problem. I like the first line of Koltsov, Lemieux-Morozov for 2 reasons.

First, I like Koltsov and thought he never should have been sent down. The second reason is that Straka can bring experience and leadership to the 2nd line. I hope this will give us two lines that can score.

spence___
09-29-2003, 06:23 PM
If someone takes a cheap shot at Mario Mckenna can always come off the bench and handle the problem. I like the first line of Koltsov, Lemieux-Morozov for 2 reasons.

Did you watch the Pen's at all last season? I dont trust McKenna to stick up for his teammates.

spence___
09-29-2003, 06:24 PM
If someone takes a cheap shot at Mario Mckenna can always come off the bench and handle the problem.

Just like he did last season, right?

Doofis_L_Hipster
09-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Straka will get the start with Lemieux.

A lot of players will get a chance. Abid, Fata, Koltsov, Morozov, they'll all see significant playing time with the Big Guy. It's just going to be on them to drive to the net and put away a few of the setups he'll surely dish out. And staying healthy helps too.

The Tang
09-29-2003, 06:42 PM
id definitely put koltsov with mario, and straka will more than likely be with him too. i wouldnt put morozov with him at all, see if he can actually score w/o a superstar.

spence___
09-29-2003, 06:50 PM
What makes you think we need a tough guy on mario's line?

If we have a tough player paired up with the top dman on our team thats good enough.

Supposedly Orpik isn't much of a fighter.

GoPenguins
09-30-2003, 02:41 AM
Mario doesnt need to play with a bodyguard permanently on his line. Koltsov will stick up for him, as will most of the D-men. If anyone takes a shot at Mario, you can bet Edzo will retaliate with interest, either sending out Buchberger or McKenna or any others willing to protect Mario's back.

Koltsov71
09-30-2003, 03:04 AM
i dont understand why some ppl dont like the idea of havin a PF on his line. :dunno:

I don't even think we have one.

Der Schweinehund
09-30-2003, 03:20 AM
Mario doesnt need to play with a bodyguard permanently on his line.

Agreed. Since Mario's comeback the guy I have seen jump to Mario's aid the most has been Moran. So clearly we don't need a "tough-guy" with Mario - although Moran can swing purses with the best of 'em.

Count me in for Koltsov-Lemieux-Morozov. Lo and behold, it's the reincarnation of the famous KLM line...

Robert Paulson*
09-30-2003, 10:47 AM
We don't really need a tough guy to play with Mario because if anyone takes a big shot at Lemieux, regardless of the size of him, someone on our team will take a shot back. It doesn't matter who it is really..

DJ Spinoza
09-30-2003, 01:02 PM
I don't even think we have one.

Right.

Abid hasn't stepped up enough to earn that spot either.

We don't need a goon on Mario's line. The speed will create space. If someone decides to ruff him up, then Steve McKenna or Reid Simpson takes a shift later with that other player...Or Matt Bradley or whomever.

Mario is a big guy. People aren't going to be stealing his lunchmoney...

look out for orpik
09-30-2003, 01:29 PM
well then why did bob probert play on a line with steve yzerman back in the day? if anyone was thinkin about takin a shot at stevie Y, then they knew who they had to meet after they did it. im not sayin that you should play a big goon with no skill or something on his line but put sumone out there with some toughness and has some skill. ya some say that we can send someone out on the next shift to get back whoever cheap shot lemieux or something, but why have to worry bout that when you can have someone already on that line? :teach: i do recall a line of lemieux stevens and tochett, which was a very good line and produced a good amount of points. i dunno i guess im in the minority when thinkin that a PF or somethin should play on his line. yea sure you want 3 really good skilled offensive players on the same line cause youll score alot of points, but sumtimes that will catch up to you. what was one of the or possibly the best line last year? bertuzzi morrison and naslund. you have alittle bit of everything on that line and thats what you need on every line .... a little bit of everything :teach:

:yo:

KungFuPenguin
09-30-2003, 01:47 PM
The game has changed quite a bit since the days of Probert-Yzerman. Yes, Mario would benefit greatly from having a capable power forward on his wing, someone who can crash the net and set effective screens -- but this organization doesn't have one, or anything even remotely resembling one. They tried McKenna last season, and the results, while stupendously good by McKenna-standards, were not satisfactory for a line with the offensive capability that any line with Mario on it has.

Like some other posters pointed out, Mario isn't really in dire need of a protector, and if some rookie tough guy takes a run at him, there will be plenty of candidates to smear that kid into the ground on the Penguins bench.

I'm a lot more worried about finding two guys with good enough hockey smarts and finishing ability to play alongside Mario.

look out for orpik
09-30-2003, 02:10 PM
yeah i agree the game has changed, but guys running or takin shots at a teams star player hasnt. i agree mckenna isnt exactly an offensively gifted player but thats when you start drafting or even trading for power forwards or tougher players with some skill, which we have finally started to do. also i agree that we do have more tougher , young players this year then in the past 3 or 5 years or so. i think lemieux would benefit from havin a rugged winger on his side so they can go to the net, clear up some room and/or get an ugly goal.

Speed Kills
09-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Hey Spence... don't know how to place your reply in quotes. But, I do think that Mckenna stood up for Mario and other on the team they same way Lacoture did. The Panther game was a perfect example of that.

I know Mckenna is not a great fighter, but he does protect his teamates and that is why they kept him around.

spence___
09-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Hey Spence... don't know how to place your reply in quotes. But, I do think that Mckenna stood up for Mario and other on the team they same way Lacoture did. The Panther game was a perfect example of that.

I know Mckenna is not a great fighter, but he does protect his teamates and that is why they kept him around.

Maybe so, but he was invisible early on in the season when Mario needed him the most.

Koltsov71
09-30-2003, 04:55 PM

:bow:

We all saw what happened that little weasel Brad Ference last season.

Koltsov71
09-30-2003, 05:01 PM

:bow:

We all saw what happened that little weasel Brad Ference last season.

DJ Spinoza
09-30-2003, 05:26 PM
True.

He can hold his own out there, just because of size alone.

And I think Koltsov can provide a decent amount of a physical aspect to the line. He can be a good defensive element, just because of the speed. I don't like breaking up the Morozov-Lemieux combo, and Mario wants speed for his line, so Koltsov-Lemieux-Morozov is the only first line I can fathom we will have to start the season.

If Koltsov can't finish, I think Fata would be next in line for that job. But we'll take things day by day for now (or, I will at least:)).

look out for orpik
09-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Abid is not a capable fighter, nor have i seen him display enough pf type skill, he shows some flashes but i don't think he's tougher or weaker than Koltsov

im sorry but i have to strongly disagree with this statement ... why would you want koltsov, one of your best offensive players fighting or even getting hurt in a fight? im sorry but i dunno bout you but i sure as hell dont want koltsov fighting anyone. and also how can you base the argument that koltsov can fight or that abid cant? the most PIM's that koltsove has had is 41 while the most abid has had is 266 ... i wouldnt think that those are a bunch of hooking or tripping penaltys. on abids skill, he played in only 3 games for us last year, with one leg. yeah sure hes not havin the best training camp, but Ezdo knows what he can do and that he can put up points.

look out for orpik
09-30-2003, 06:57 PM
well im speakin for the future because he probably, i said PROBABLY, will be one of our better or best offensive players maybe this year if not then in the future. sure anyone can be pushed to fight but do you really really want lemieux to go out and fight someone because he is gettin roughed up. sure its good to stick up for your teammates but do you really want lemieux to fight a colin white or someone like that? you just have to have that balance of a physical prescence on that line. i dunno buddy we'll see what happens, no need for fightin words :rolly:

AEKaki
09-30-2003, 07:26 PM
I think your overrating it. Focht, Melichar and Berehowsky can all fight and Abid could work his way up to the first line.

My ideal lines would be

Abid-Fata-Lemieux
Straka-Kraft-Morozov
Murley-Holzinger-Koltsov

Abid and Kraft over Koltsov??????
Oh my god.
That, i can't believe that i just saw that.
I mean what are you thinking.
And Holzinger????

Koltsov has been our best player in camp, deserves it alot more then both Abid and Kraft.

It's Koltsov - Lemieux - Morozov, Straka will probably be on a line with Fata and Abid/Malone. Then someone like Murley will play with the other of Abid/Malone and maybe Bradley or Buchberger or...

KOLTSOV - LEMIEUX - MOROZOV
all the way

The toughness will come from the blue line where Orpik will be at.

spence___
09-30-2003, 07:40 PM
Abid and Kraft over Koltsov??????
Oh my god.
That, i can't believe that i just saw that.
I mean what are you thinking.
And Holzinger????

Koltsov has been our best player in camp, deserves it alot more then both Abid and Kraft.

My reasoning is that I don't think Koltsov will benefit as much as some other players from being on our top line. Ideally I'd remove Holzinger and have Endicott center the 3rd line.