Winnipeg Jets' Biggest Rival?

John Christie
09-30-2003, 03:28 AM
I have an office colleague from Winnipeg and we argued over lunch who the WInnipeg Jets biggest NHL rival was.

He said Vancouver while I said Edmonton becuase in the 80's they played many playoff series against one another but in the 1990's, Vancouver and Winnipeg met 3 times and had a hatred so I wanted to get your opinion on Winnipeg's biggest rival.

I also posted this on the Oilers board as well.

Thanks,

Mizral
09-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Edmonton overall, though the time shortly after the Peca on Selanne hit, Vancouver was public enemy #1.

NFITO
09-30-2003, 10:52 AM
I would say Vancouver easily.

I lived in Winnipeg for a year, and was a hardcore Canucks fan then too, so maybe that's why I always saw it as an intense rivalry, but the games seemed to echo that as well.

The oilers and jets were further apart in the standings than the Canucks and jets where... not only do we have those playoff series (where we came back from the 3-1 deficiets), but we had seasons where we'd fight each other to see who made the playoffs!

I was at the game in the colliseum when the Canucks beat the jets 3-2 for a playoff spot (the jets missed, and the canucks squeaked in thanks to that win in game 80)...

always saw a clear rivalry between the two teams... with the oilers the rivalry was more with the Flames (and still is)... the jets, like us, where a playoff contender and bubble team that made the playoffs and missed it as often as we did... during that era, the Oilers and Flames were clearly in a different league.