Gamenight Chat - Oilers versus Canucks

Mizral
09-30-2003, 08:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/nhl/clubhouse/van_logo.gif vs http://espn.go.com/i/nhl/clubhouse/edm_logo.gif

Tue. Sep 30, 2003 7:00 PM
General Motors Place - VAN

Nearing the end of the pre-season (thankfully), with 3 games left to go. Last time the two teams met up in the preseason, the Oilers sunk the Canucks quite easily. All I know for sure about the lineup is that Naslund will not be playing tonight to rest his groin, but will play the final two exhibition games.

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 09:10 AM
Vancouver will win 4-2

orcatown
09-30-2003, 11:21 AM
This is an important game to start the ship in the right direction. Canucks need to build some momentum and cohesion heading into the regular season.

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Vancouver will win 4-2Didn't you say that about the Sharks game? :joker:

Okay, I'll believe you this time.

Canucks 3 in OT. Gotta have at least one OT game this preseason.

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Didn't you say that about the Sharks game? :joker:

Okay, I'll believe you this time.

Canucks 3 in OT. Gotta have at least one OT game this preseason.
I didn't say it about the Sharks game. That was somebody else. I didn't post my prediction.

IceMelter
09-30-2003, 01:13 PM
That would be me with the sucky prediction last time, looks like I got the teams messed up or something.

Anyways I say 5-2 Canucks

Impossibles
09-30-2003, 02:16 PM
5-3 canucks

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 04:01 PM
That would be me with the sucky prediction last time, looks like I got the teams messed up or something.

Anyways I say 5-2 CanucksThank you for coming forward with this confession. :joker:

Red
09-30-2003, 04:24 PM
I'll be at the game tonight. Thank God for free tickets. :handclap:

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 05:35 PM
I'll be at the game tonight. Thank God for free tickets. :handclap:Lucky you. Have a great time Red! Hope you're not disappointed.

Mizral
09-30-2003, 05:58 PM
Marc Crawford on the radio reminded me of a funny little story I read once in a book called 'Hockey Towns'.

When Crawford was a young trying-to-crack-the-NHL player, he was called into Roger Neilson's office after a training camp in which he had worked really hard. Roger had to cut him, but hated to give him bad news. Roger, drooped his head as he told Crawford he was cut. Crawford replied, very sorrowfully, 'Roger, you've told my shoes. Now tell me.'

:lol:

LaVal
09-30-2003, 06:15 PM
am i the only one who can't get through cknw.com?

EDIT: finally got through.... really slow

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Shorty's real high on Hedberg; even to the point of criticizing Dan.

Edit: typo

incawg
09-30-2003, 06:26 PM
holy penalty-fest. sheshhhhhhhhhhhh!

nucks2001
09-30-2003, 06:28 PM
so yeah.. cknw doesn't work (page cannot be displayed) and the canucks.com site and nhl radio links give gateway timeout errors.. anyone have any suggestions?

incawg
09-30-2003, 06:29 PM
so yeah.. cknw doesn't work (page cannot be displayed) and the canucks.com site and nhl radio links give gateway timeout errors.. anyone have any suggestions?

try putting this in your IE navbar or directly in windows media player:
mms://66.250.188.15/CKNW_AM

nucks2001
09-30-2003, 06:31 PM
try putting this in your IE navbar or directly in windows media player:
mms://66.250.188.15/CKNW_AM

yay that works ty :handclap:

nucks2001
09-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Salmalainen setup by Isbister

1-0 Oil

incawg
09-30-2003, 06:34 PM
sopel falls at center ice and a goal results :(

cloutier in for hedberg, the moose was shaken up earlier when he ran into ohlund.

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 06:55 PM
so yeah.. cknw doesn't work (page cannot be displayed) and the canucks.com site and nhl radio links give gateway timeout errors.. anyone have any suggestions?CFAX 1070 AM in Victoria?

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 07:05 PM
This is really quiet here tonight.

fogg*
09-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Sounds like its pretty quiet at the game too, might be because of the Canucks current offensive explosion :D Oilers sure seem like theyre trying to help the Canucks get some shots with all these powerplays tough...

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 07:16 PM
Sounds like its pretty quiet at the game too, might be because of the Canucks current offensive explosion :D Oilers sure seem like theyre trying to help the Canucks get some shots with all these powerplays tough...Oh, c'mon the 'Nucks gotta score HERE. :rolleyes:

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Thank you Salo. :D

fogg*
Finally a goal! Yay Salo :rolly:

incawg
ABOUT TIME! Salo scores on the 592952th powerplay.

nucks2001
09-30-2003, 07:18 PM
wow some kind of penalty streak for the Oil

C'nuckleHead
09-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Salo & Slegr...nice power play combo on the blue line.

fogg*
09-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Wow another Canucks powerplay. McTavish must be getting some early practise at standing on the bench and yelling at refs.

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Another penatly

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Hemsky goes to da box; even Shorty & Larsh are laughing.

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 07:26 PM
McTavish gets a bench minor

fogg*
Haha, i knew MacTavish was getting that practise! Bench minor too :D

OYLer
Your Salo finally beat our Salo after 4 five on threes. Eight straight penalties by the 'Oil'. Now the fifth straight 5 on 3. Now a bench minor, what gives!

Jewelly
Mac. T goes ballistic.

Probably rightfully so. :lol:

nucks2001
09-30-2003, 07:27 PM
I have never seen a run of penalties like this in one period amazing

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 07:27 PM
The Canucks have to score here.

quat
09-30-2003, 07:31 PM
Morrison sucks ! :)

fogg*
Oh no, now its payback time for all those Oiler penalties :mad:

canucksfan
Delay of Game penatly now

quat
09-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Sure enjoy these over ref'd games..... what action ! What speed ! What crap !

The Canucks are what... 1 for 11? That's insane... do these guys even know each other? :D Four three on fives ? heh... classic.

Sounds like Allen is bringing some toughness... man am I ever looking forward to the real season.

fogg*
Keane!

Jewelly
Yay Keane.

canucksfan
Mike Keane scored

nucks2001
09-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Keane shows some scoring touch.. Ready makes the play with the hustle though

quat
09-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Ryan followed up by Mr. Keane.... now, that is suprising! :handclap:

fogg*
09-30-2003, 07:36 PM
Good thing the Oilers powerplay is as awful as the Canucks is. Or the Canucks penalty killing is as good as the Oilers is. It's hard to tell which.

I need these games on TV!

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 07:39 PM
WEIRD GAME !!!

quat
09-30-2003, 07:39 PM
Good thing the Oilers powerplay is as awful as the Canucks is. Or the Canucks penalty killing is as good as the Oilers is. It's hard to tell which.

I need these games on TV!

I agree... I can't get a good feel for how the team actually plays without actually seeing the game.

All those penalties were caused by Ruutu. :joker:

Henrik sounds like he is stronger on the puck eh?

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Cloutier lets a softie in

fogg*
09-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Ugh, a final minute of the period goal by Bergeron

quat
09-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Cloutier let's a softy in from stands!

SedinFan*
09-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Cloutier let's a softy in from stands!

Where have I heard that before?........................

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Third period... it's a 2-2 tie.

Nice interview with Malik.

quat
09-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Where have I heard that before?........................

Seems Dan needs to focus a bit more... Nice work by Sami on D

fogg*
09-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Jeez Ruutu must have got absolutely got crunched. I could hear that second check on him even over this crappy internet radio feed

quat
09-30-2003, 08:07 PM
I was looking forward to seeing what Daniel, Henrik and King could put together....

Wow... Ruutu is taking a beating

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 08:09 PM
Jason King scores

fogg*
09-30-2003, 08:09 PM
King!

incawg
09-30-2003, 08:10 PM
has king earned a roster spot? tommy seems to think so.

canucksfan
Sedin's with the assists

quat
heh heh heh... just what I was hoping to hear! Sounds like these guys can play together. :handclap:

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Hank is going to have a great season.

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Kesler almost scored

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Arvedsson almost scored now. Canucks are starting to pick it up.

incawg
09-30-2003, 08:19 PM
And the early favorite for "worst line name" goes to Tommy for keane, chubarov and may: hack, whack, and smacker. ugh. The canucks aren't the only ones in preseason form :rolleyes:

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Nice joke Shorty! :lol:

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 08:26 PM
Hey, I think I predicted a 3-2 win for the 'Nucks.l

Hmmm, better go back and check that prediction.

Mizral
09-30-2003, 08:26 PM
And the early favorite for "worst line name" goes to Tommy for keane, chubarov and may: hack, whack, and smacker. ugh. The canucks aren't the only ones in preseason form :rolleyes:

Agreed, but I did like Keane/Kesler/Ready as 'The Bubble Boys'.

Boy, the Twins are gonna have a great season.

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Mike Keane scored

fogg*
09-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Keane Keane the scoring machine!

Jewelly
09-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Nice win.

Edmonton put everything on the last play... Moreau missed it.

Mizral
While I do not want Keane signed...

It sounds like the team does. That kind of passing play doesn't happen by accident it sounds like. They wanted Keane to get that extra goal.

nucks2001
Classy move by the May and Chubs giving Keane the empty net goal

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 08:32 PM
39-10 Vancouver outshot the Oilers

Jewelly
Classy move by the May and Chubs giving Keane the empty net goalYeah, that's what it sounded like to me too.

Hmmmm, does the team want Keane??

incawg
Tough decision to make on who makes the team. King has been playing very well with the sedins. Keane has been solid all preseason, Ready has quitely impressed, and Kesler is playing above his years. I'd say it's between King and Keane at this point, since I just don't feel that Ready has done enough and Kesler is better served by logging a ton of minutes in Manitoba.

canucksfan
09-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Tough decision to make on who makes the team. King has been playing very well with the sedins. Keane has been solid all preseason, Ready has quitely impressed, and Kesler is playing above his years. I'd say it's between King and Keane at this point, since I just don't feel that Ready has done enough and Kesler is better served by logging a ton of minutes in Manitoba.
I agree with this. Kesler should be playing with the Moose, Ready will be sent down but Keane and King have played well. I think it will be Keane but King is really playing well.

quat
09-30-2003, 08:45 PM
The Canucks played much better in the third. Question. I missed the Allen fight. How was it, and his play during the game... I didn't hear his name mentioned at all ?

OYLer
09-30-2003, 08:50 PM
The Striped Ones called 10 penalties in the 1st and 11 penalties in the 2nd and one thats 1 ya know only UNO in the 3rd. Tommy Salo not name 1st star, What gives:dunno:

C'nuckleHead
09-30-2003, 09:08 PM
Hedberg has a charley-horse and Moss has been called up.

Hemsky4PM
09-30-2003, 09:11 PM
39-10 Vancouver outshot the Oilers

The Oilers offense is definately lacking. Consider the absence of Smyth, Comrie, Horcoff, Dvorak and Brewer a big contributor tonight. Oh, and the penalties too.

Waveburner
09-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Hedberg has a charley-horse and Moss has been called up.

Great, Clouts sounds weak in pre-season so our backup gets injured. I hope Hedberg is back soon, I need peace of mind :)

colonel_korn
09-30-2003, 10:43 PM
Few comments (I was at the game tonight)

Among the defenseman, Salo was the strongest tonight. Solid in his own end, and had a couple of nice shots in addition to the one he scored on.

Slegr: Since when does this guy have an aversion to shooting? He was point on a tonne of the powerplays in the second period and shot it *once* by my count. Though he did set up Salo's goal...he had plenty of other opportunities where he could have shot it.

Much as I hate to get on Allen's case, he didn't really look good out there in my opinion. He lost the puck in his skates a few times when it was passed back to him and had a few bad giveaways. At least he didn't get totally pounded by Laraque, though he was definitely the loser of that fight.

Had to laugh when Ruutu drew the double minor on Smith. I don't know if there's anyone in the league more willing to get himself punched in the face to draw a penalty than Ruutu. :joker: Smith especially seems to absolutely hate him (I think they've had run-ins in the past). He did crunch Ruutu into the boards pretty hard later in the game.

A couple posters mentioned that Chubarov and May 'gave' the empty-netter to Keane...I'm not so sure about that. Both of them were tied up along the boards on that play and didn't have a very good shot, while Keane was wide open. That said, it was a very nice pass by Chubarov. Chuby had a couple nice ones tonight actually.

Speaking of nice passes, Henrik's to set up King was a beauty. King, Ready and Kesler all looked good out there tonight. Ready came down the wing really fast to set up that second goal by Keane.

All in all, it was a pretty entertaining game, especially considering it was preseason. Nice to see the boys finally get some more shots on net, even though the lopsided penalties obviously had something to do with it.

Red
09-30-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm back from the game and I'll just give brief and random comments...

Ryan Kesler: While he didn't register on the scoreboard save for an assist, I was really impressed by this kid tonight. He never made one single mistake. His offensive ability is underrated simply because his solid positioning (which works both on defense and offense) always puts him in the right spot in any situation. He created a few chances today and had some nice offensive moves. Has a slick shot as well. He didn't avoid any physical contact but he did get pushed around quite a lot - Laraque had a field day with him. I wasn't as impressed by his wheels as some people are, but he does have NHL-level speed.

Mike Keane: I've been wondering why the team would want this guy, but he was great tonight, and not just because he scored twice. He was flying out there and seems like his speed is much improved over last year. He simply looked good and was all over the ice. Didn't shy away from the corners and battled there like it was a game seven in the playoffs. Really helped on our PK as the puck always seemed to go to him and he actually managed to clear it. I'd sign him just based on tonight.

Brent Sopel: He was dreadful tonight. He fell like...seven times. He was the reason for the Oilers' first goal because he...fell. He couldn't keep the puck in on the PP and just was absolutely horrible. Whenever the Oilers got a chance, it seemed to be because of a mistake Sopel made.

Sami Salo: Our best d-man tonight, IMO. Was everywhere on the ice and had great positioning on defense. But God, it's so frustrating watching him always miss the net when you know what an amazing shot he has. That wind-up is simply one of the best in the NHL - yet it's so freakin' frustrating.

Henrik Sedin: AMAZING. Either he's the only one taking the preseason seriously or he's improved about ten-fold compared to everyone else. The Sedins still do the same boring cycle-for-10-years routine in the corners but this year they're creating chances and actually capitalizing on them. It's too early to tell, but it looks to me like Henrik has finally arrived. His skating is vastly improved, his moves are slicker (he had a couple of really sweet moves tonight), and his finish is there as well. Daniel is lagging behind a bit IMO, but Henrik was simply outstanding tonight.

Johan Hedberg: Was solid for all...14 minutes he was there and the goal was by no means his fault. Just had to say how nice it is to finally have a goalie who can handle the puck. Killing penalties is so much easier and starting our breakouts is much more effective when the goalie can begin the play. I just felt really comfortable with him in net. Clouts was solid, but unspectacular, and he still gives me a heart attack every time he makes a save.

Bryan Allen: Didn't really stand out but wasn't bad, but he has loads of guts and heart. He took on Laraque and lost...handily...but he's willing to stand up for himself and his teammates.

Jason King: I don't know why he was second star. He basically floated the entire game and capitalized on one of the many chances the Sedins gave him. Didn't have the finish tonight and had many opportunities...thanks to the Sedins.

Magnus Arvedson: Has nice wheels but is so lost out there right now, that he's pretty useless. Not the answer to our second line problem (though I don't think it's a problem anymore with the way Henrik is playing). He had one really sweet move but was absent the rest of the night. I guess he needs time to adjust.

Jarkko Rutuu: Did his job. Agitated the Oilers to no end. Got punched in the face. Walked away. Oilers got a penalty. Thumbs up.

Todd Bertuzzi: He was dreadful. No intensity, did nothing. Floated on defense yet again and left Morrison and Arvedson to cover for him, which thankfully, they did a good job of. Did nothing on offense, but to be fair, he was grabbed and held to oblivion.

So...

Standouts: Kesler, Keane, H. Sedin, Salo
Solid: Hedberg, Cloutier, Rutuu, Morrison, Baumgartner, May, Ohlund, Slegr
Adequate: King, Arvedson, D. Sedin, Allen, Chubarov
Did pretty much nothing: Ready
Awful: Bertuzzi, Sopel

The penalties, all many of them, were pretty much deserved tonight. The Oilers were unbelievably undisciplined and the Canucks got penalties for not paying attention to the little details.

Tom.H
10-01-2003, 12:37 AM
When I hear a team get that many penalties and the Canucks are not able to take advantage of them (remember it finished 2-2 at end of the second). It makes me wonder if the Canucks were really that bad in their shooting, or was Salo that great in goal.

Red
10-01-2003, 12:53 AM
When I hear a team get that many penalties and the Canucks are not able to take advantage of them (remember it finished 2-2 at end of the second). It makes me wonder if the Canucks were really that bad in their shooting, or was Salo that great in goal.

Both. Salo made some sweet saves but the Canucks were off tonight. Half their quality chances were off the mark completely and the chances they did get, they shot right into Salo's logo.

LaVal
10-01-2003, 06:31 AM
it looks like Arvedson is going to have to adjust just as Malik and Salo had to.

Jewelly
10-01-2003, 06:40 AM

Ryan Kesler: While he didn't register on the scoreboard save for an assist, I was really impressed by this kid tonight. He never made one single mistake. His offensive ability is underrated simply because his solid positioning (which works both on defense and offense) always puts him in the right spot in any situation. He created a few chances today and had some nice offensive moves. Has a slick shot as well. He didn't avoid any physical contact but he did get pushed around quite a lot - Laraque had a field day with him. I wasn't as impressed by his wheels as some people are, but he does have NHL-level speed.

Mike Keane: I've been wondering why the team would want this guy, but he was great tonight, and not just because he scored twice. He was flying out there and seems like his speed is much improved over last year. He simply looked good and was all over the ice. Didn't shy away from the corners and battled there like it was a game seven in the playoffs. Really helped on our PK as the puck always seemed to go to him and he actually managed to clear it. I'd sign him just based on tonight.

Brent Sopel: He was dreadful tonight. He fell like...seven times. He was the reason for the Oilers' first goal because he...fell. He couldn't keep the puck in on the PP and just was absolutely horrible. Whenever the Oilers got a chance, it seemed to be because of a mistake Sopel made.

Sami Salo: Our best d-man tonight, IMO. Was everywhere on the ice and had great positioning on defense. But God, it's so frustrating watching him always miss the net when you know what an amazing shot he has. That wind-up is simply one of the best in the NHL - yet it's so freakin' frustrating.

Henrik Sedin: AMAZING. Either he's the only one taking the preseason seriously or he's improved about ten-fold compared to everyone else. The Sedins still do the same boring cycle-for-10-years routine in the corners but this year they're creating chances and actually capitalizing on them. It's too early to tell, but it looks to me like Henrik has finally arrived. His skating is vastly improved, his moves are slicker (he had a couple of really sweet moves tonight), and his finish is there as well. Daniel is lagging behind a bit IMO, but Henrik was simply outstanding tonight.

Johan Hedberg: Was solid for all...14 minutes he was there and the goal was by no means his fault. Just had to say how nice it is to finally have a goalie who can handle the puck. Killing penalties is so much easier and starting our breakouts is much more effective when the goalie can begin the play. I just felt really comfortable with him in net. Clouts was solid, but unspectacular, and he still gives me a heart attack every time he makes a save.

Bryan Allen: Didn't really stand out but wasn't bad, but he has loads of guts and heart. He took on Laraque and lost...handily...but he's willing to stand up for himself and his teammates.

Jason King: I don't know why he was second star. He basically floated the entire game and capitalized on one of the many chances the Sedins gave him. Didn't have the finish tonight and had many opportunities...thanks to the Sedins.

Magnus Arvedson: Has nice wheels but is so lost out there right now, that he's pretty useless. Not the answer to our second line problem (though I don't think it's a problem anymore with the way Henrik is playing). He had one really sweet move but was absent the rest of the night. I guess he needs time to adjust.

Jarkko Rutuu: Did his job. Agitated the Oilers to no end. Got punched in the face. Walked away. Oilers got a penalty. Thumbs up.

Todd Bertuzzi: He was dreadful. No intensity, did nothing. Floated on defense yet again and left Morrison and Arvedson to cover for him, which thankfully, they did a good job of. Did nothing on offense, but to be fair, he was grabbed and held to oblivion.

So...

The penalties, all many of them, were pretty much deserved tonight. The Oilers were unbelievably undisciplined and the Canucks got penalties for not paying attention to the little details.Great review Red! Thanks. :D

It makes it so much more real to read comments from someone who actually 'saw' the game.

I don't know what we're going to blame Sopel's falling down on now that he has gotten a haircut; no more hair in the eyes excuses now. j/k

Good to hear Henrik's game is getting even better.

nazzy
10-01-2003, 06:58 AM
I don't know if it's just me but I think King will start the season with the Sedins and god knows how much time he'll stay up for.

Bobby Lou
10-01-2003, 06:58 AM

So...

The penalties, all many of them, were pretty much deserved tonight. The Oilers were unbelievably undisciplined and the Canucks got penalties for not paying attention to the little details.

Just curious....you are the first person I have heard anywhere say King was floating last night. Larscheid and Shorty both said he was the best Canuck on the ice easily...and he did garner second star. I watched the highlights today which didn't give me a great read on things, but I'm wondering if it is just you who thought this (no offense intended).

Also, I think Arvedson was very solid defensively tonight...his offensive game might have to adjust to the Canucks style and gamespeed, but I listened to the broadcast and I seem to remember noting that Arvedson made 3 or 4 (maybe more) very solid defensive plays...I assume he was one of the reasons the Oilers had so few shots (though credit does go to the refs).

Chubarov seemed to be having a good game as well, as far as setting up chances was concerned.

You were there of course, so probably know better then I do, I'm just going off of what Shorty mentioned during and after the broadcast and what I've seen from the highlights.

colonel_korn
10-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Just curious....you are the first person I have heard anywhere say King was floating last night. Larscheid and Shorty both said he was the best Canuck on the ice easily...and he did garner second star. I watched the highlights today which didn't give me a great read on things, but I'm wondering if it is just you who thought this (no offense intended).

I wouldn't say King was floating myself, but I think saying he was the best player on the ice is overstating it a little. He had a solid game IMO, but I think Henrik did the bulk of the work in setting him up.

Also, I think Arvedson was very solid defensively tonight...his offensive game might have to adjust to the Canucks style and gamespeed, but I listened to the broadcast and I seem to remember noting that Arvedson made 3 or 4 (maybe more) very solid defensive plays...I assume he was one of the reasons the Oilers had so few shots (though credit does go to the refs).

Arvedson had one very good defensive play where he prevented an Oiler coming down the right wing from getting a shot by tying him up from behind and eventually diving in front of him to take the play away. Aside from that he wasn't really noticible...he had one or two decent scoring chances

Chubarov seemed to be having a good game as well, as far as setting up chances was concerned.

Yeah, aside from setting up Keane's empty-netter, Chubarov had a couple other very crisp, quick passes to set up plays. He did look a bit weak on the backcheck on Edmonton's first goal, though that was mostly due to Sopel tripping over his shoelaces. :rolleyes:

Red
10-01-2003, 10:51 AM

You were there of course, so probably know better then I do, I'm just going off of what Shorty mentioned during and after the broadcast and what I've seen from the highlights.

It could be just me. It's just my views of the game and I didn't have my eye on King all the time.

He had six shots, which is nice to see that we have a pure shooter in one of our prospects. About four of those shots were bona fide scoring chances set up by Henrik Sedin. He capitalized on one, which was basically a tap-in off of a phenomenal play. He does have a good nose for the net and isn't afraid to get into the high-traffic areas. In retrospect, maybe I was a bit too hard on him, but he's very one-dimensional. He was brutal in the corners from what I saw and doesn't have the upper-body strength yet to win those puck battles. He's a Bertuzzi on defense. I just felt the stuff he did do last night was in large part to the Sedins and the chances he did receive were because the Sedins set up a play and got it to him. Though to admit it, these three work great as an ensemble simply because King is always willing to shoot the puck. Though I don't see how he could've been the best Canuck tonight when Henrik was beyond outstanding.

Agree on Arvedson. His defense was outstanding all night and he made the absolute right play on that Oiler 2-on-1. But he looked lost on offense and he bumped into Bertuzzi quite a few times because he was in the wrong position going down the wing. I guess the offense will come with time.

Waveburner
10-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Interesting...I have heard all camp Crawford and Burke lauding King for his 2-way game, as opposed to being "Bertuzzi on D"...but who knows...