Preseason vs. Thrashers

Holly Gunning
09-30-2003, 07:25 AM
Just a heads up, they are considering cancelling tomorrow night's game in light of the accident. Hear for sure later today.

Rattrick
09-30-2003, 07:43 AM
Just a heads up, they are considering cancelling tomorrow night's game in light of the accident. Hear for sure later today.

That doesn't make sense to cancel the game because two players are out.

Acadmus
09-30-2003, 08:18 AM
That doesn't make sense to cancel the game because two players are out.

Well, it's not like it's a regular season game. The Thrashers coaching staff probably recognized that the players' hearts wouldn't be in the game, and want to give them some time to recover from the shock of two players being injured.

Personally, the more details I hear about the crash, the more I'm glad Bouwmeester's the kind of kid whose first new car is a pickup truck. Won't be too likely to do 80mph on city streets in that.

sting_fan
09-30-2003, 08:44 AM
I know there are more important things in this world then a hockey game, but it's a shame to those Panthers on the bubble if the game isn't played tomorrow.

Club301
09-30-2003, 08:58 AM
I guess I understand where the Thrashers are coming from if they choose to cancel the game. Dan Snyder is apparently in pretty rough shape, and with it being so soon after, I can understand them wanting to keep their attention on him at the moment. It's too bad for guys like Weiss, Hagman, etc. who are on the bubble, but I guess the coaching staff will have to earn their money and actually make the tough decisions.

Acadmus
09-30-2003, 09:26 AM
I guess I understand where the Thrashers are coming from if they choose to cancel the game. Dan Snyder is apparently in pretty rough shape, and with it being so soon after, I can understand them wanting to keep their attention on him at the moment. It's too bad for guys like Weiss, Hagman, etc. who are on the bubble, but I guess the coaching staff will have to earn their money and actually make the tough decisions.

And they'll have to prove they're professionals and continue (or start) playing their hearts out wherever they end up.

FanaticalFan
09-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Someone should tell Dudley to call CP, in the pittsburg-gazette today CP said he was looking for a dance partner for more preseason games. With Atlanta cancling the panthers need more then 5 preseason games. It would be great if they could be inticed to come down and play game this weekend.

Acadmus
09-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Someone should tell Dudley to call CP, in the pittsburg-gazette today CP said he was looking for a dance partner for more preseason games. With Atlanta cancling the panthers need more then 5 preseason games. It would be great if they could be inticed to come down and play game this weekend.

Think they can organize one on that short of notice? Granted, they can just be a team substitution for the game that was supposed to be played, but can the Pens get in gear to get down there in time?

FanaticalFan
09-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Think they can organize one on that short of notice? Granted, they can just be a team substitution for the game that was supposed to be played, but can the Pens get in gear to get down there in time?

I don't know and I'm not in any position to know but according to http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins/20030930pens0930p2.asp CP was looking for a dance partner, and to me Duddly's Dance card has an opening. Whether they talk or not who knows. If it dose happen I doubt it would tomarrow, but the pens opining night is the 8th with no more preseason games and panthers 9th with only one more, so there are some dates open.

Captain8
09-30-2003, 11:28 AM
I don't know and I'm not in any position to know but according to http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins/20030930pens0930p2.asp CP was looking for a dance partner, and to me Duddly's Dance card has an opening. Whether they talk or not who knows. If it dose happen I doubt it would tomarrow, but the pens opining night is the 8th with no more preseason games and panthers 9th with only one more, so there are some dates open.

It's nice to see a GM acting humble for a change. Some GMs never admit to a mistake and wear their 'holier than thou' attitude on their sleeve.

You're right about the Panthers' situation. Their meager exhibition schedule combined with a crowded camp replete with fresh faces is a huge mistake, IMO. And like the Pens, there are plenty of roster decsions looming.

PanthersRule96
09-30-2003, 03:30 PM
So is it officially cancelled yet?

Holly Gunning
09-30-2003, 06:05 PM
So is it officially cancelled yet? Not yet, but if I'm reading the mood around here right, I'd bet it will be.

Heimy
09-30-2003, 06:41 PM
This accident really is horrible news

Club301
09-30-2003, 06:58 PM
This accident really is horrible news

I'm glad someone brought that up actually. Granted, we were focusing more on the game in this thread, but it really is terrible.

http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View.aspx?CID01=f0f05701-058e-4ac3-90f4-af4464a95c9a

This is the latest medical update from the thrashers site. It's still a very serious situation to say the least.

justapantherfan
10-01-2003, 02:13 AM
And they'll have to prove they're professionals and continue (or start) playing their hearts out wherever they end up.

Heatley has been charged with reckless driving.

Sorry but I have to agree with Acadmus on this issue.

Holly Gunning
10-01-2003, 04:30 AM
The game is ON for tonight.

Acadmus
10-01-2003, 04:51 AM
The game is ON for tonight.

Unless, God forbid, Snyder dies, according to the news story I read. At least it said that was the only foreseeable circumstance under which it would be cancelled.

FlaPanthers7
10-01-2003, 03:31 PM
2-0 in the first period, looks like the Thrashers are fired up. Their hearts are certainly in the game tonight...

If the Panthers get smoked tonight I wonder if we'll see the wrath of Keenan before the season even starts! I wonder if he can bench the whole team??? :lol:

Van Ryn scores in the 2nd, assists to Hagman and Vlad Sapoz(whatever). I thought Vlad went back to Russia! :dunno:

Clash*
10-01-2003, 03:42 PM
I thought Vlad went back to Russia! :dunno:
I didn't realize he even came over for camp.

Clash*
10-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Scoreboard link that refreshes every 30 seconds (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2003100128)

BTW, something isn't kosher here, because the line-up Yahoo has listed doesn't include Saponikov in the line-up, as we have 8 other potential defensemen listed. Odelein, Bouwie, Biron, Kudroc, Messier, Van Ryn, Mezei, and Lilja. I wonder what's up... :dunno:

Crossbar
10-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Heh for some reason Yahoo loves to tell us Kudroc is playing

Clash*
10-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Listen to the game (http://www.790thezone.com/)

Its the actual game folks.

m2k2p
10-01-2003, 04:19 PM
2-0 in the first period, looks like the Thrashers are fired up. Their hearts are certainly in the game tonight...

If the Panthers get smoked tonight I wonder if we'll see the wrath of Keenan before the season even starts! I wonder if he can bench the whole team??? :lol:

Van Ryn scores in the 2nd, assists to Hagman and Vlad Sapoz(whatever). I thought Vlad went back to Russia! :dunno:
It was Van Ryn from Messier and Hagman. Nhl.com has updated info

m2k2p
10-01-2003, 04:26 PM
Hordichuk got a game misconduct and an instigator penalty after a fight with Exelby. I see Horton and Stewart are not playing tonight as well. So far shots on goal are 20-18 Atlanta. Tons of PIMs by the Cats tonight.

Optimist*
10-01-2003, 04:58 PM
3-2 Kozlov

Clash*
10-01-2003, 05:00 PM
3-2 Kozlov
LOL, and Sapoznikov got another assist.

Clash*
10-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Well, Weiss and Van Ryn almost teamed up on the tyin goal with 1.6 seconds on the clock. Weiss seemingly won the draw in the Thrashers zone cleanly and had it go to Van Ryn along the boards (out of place for Van Ryn normally), and Atlanta's goalie saved it. Too bad, but we need someone who can win faceoffs for this team. If only Weiss could get the offensive aspect of his game together, he'd be more like the guy he was compared to originally when he came out. Steve Yzerman.

PanthersRule96
10-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Sapoznikhov will never come back to NA again. What a wasted pick.

Clash*
10-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Sapoznikhov will never come back to NA again. What a wasted pick.
Most later round picks tend to be wasted picks. The odds of one of those guys bein worthwhile are slim, but there is always one of those diamonds lyin around.

Heimy
10-01-2003, 06:06 PM
He was our 1st overall pick in the 2nd round in his draft year.

sting_fan
10-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Just saw some brief highlights of the game. What ended up being the winning goal was extremely weak on Hurme's part.

PanthersRule96
10-02-2003, 10:58 AM
Sapoz was drafted 58th overall in 2000. Huselius was 47 in 1997. Several second rounders make the NHL.