Morgantti on Nucks camp

gruntsplatter
09-30-2003, 12:33 PM
ESPN NEWS just had Morgantti on talking about the Heatley crash, and then went into some hockey talk and he said the buzz is that Crawford has been really dissapointed with camp and is trying to impres on the team that they can't have any slumps to stay competative in the West and they need to get focused... Is there any talk of this locally, it was the first I'd really heard of it. The "no slumps" is an obvious enough thing, but being dissapointed with Camp seems kinda bold.

Matty
09-30-2003, 12:50 PM
I believe there is a danger that this 'young' team could get a little ahead of itself and forget how hard they must work during the regular season just to remain competitive. The group certainly doesn't seem as focussed as it did last year...

Impossibles
09-30-2003, 01:15 PM
I believe there is a danger that this 'young' team could get a little ahead of itself and forget how hard they must work during the regular season just to remain competitive. The group certainly doesn't seem as focussed as it did last year...

I'm getting the feeling that the team feels it can just flip a switch and turn it on once the regular season starts. None of the vets seem to be making much of an effort this pre-season.

We'll see if this is a problem once the season starts.

Also, the canucks are dressing the 'final' roster for the last 2 ex. games, and supposedly treating them like the regular season. We'll have to wait and see what kind of effort goes into those 2 games. I think those 2 final games are going to be important as to how the 'nucks start the season.

NFITO
09-30-2003, 01:28 PM
I don't think there is too much to worry about with this...

it's obvious that there is some disappointment with the level of play from the team in the preseason, but there are also reasons for that... the disappointment I think is more about the prospects than it is about the team itself.

The core of the team hasn't really played much together... the rookies have been given lots of time and lots of games, and only yesterday did they cut down to a 27 man roster to get the real team together.

and after the last few seasons, it's no surprise to see the team looking ahead to the season, and probably already thinking about the playoffs... that's really the only test left for this group right now.

while it is true that looking too far ahead is a bad sign, I expect them to be focussed again on the regular season soon enough... last season we went through the same thing, with a very mediocre October, before going on our 10 game win streak in November... maybe it'll take this group a few games again this year to get focussed... and Burke isn't one to sit there and wait for them to gel either... he's got tons of patience in the offseason, but he's made quick moves in the regular season the past few years when he felt the team wasn't showing good chemistry or focus out there.

another concern is there has been a little more line juggling happening than in years past... every defensive unit is different, and outside the top line (which isnt' a given to stay together at this point, but probably likely will) the rest of the lines are all different....

I'm also hoping that there is a few changes made to our game plan to concentrate on defense more than we have in the past, which could also effect the way the team has been playing.

But that's what the preseason is for, isn't it?? Detroit is the worst team in the central division as well in preseason, but I don't think that's too much of a worry for them.... better to test out the strategies and lineups now, then when the points actually count.

orcatown
09-30-2003, 02:02 PM
One indication of possible problems was the way Bertuzzi and Linden have responded to reporter's questions after games. Both have shown a degree of frustration about the team. I think both want to kick some butt but are holding back.

If there are problems I see two sources:

1. Far too many pre-season game. Because of the numbers we have to keep a split squad far too long. Mucking around with the Obsuts and Eatins and Komnariskis is no way to get ready for the season. We did this two years ago with disastrous results in the early season.

2. Too high an opinion of the younger players. Most of the these younger players should have been out of here a lot sooner. Smith, Morrison, Koltsov and others should have been in a Moose camp two weeks ago. There was way too much speculation that these younger players would be in the lineup. Even Crawford's kind of giddy enthusiasm for Mojsis was off base. Its Crawford's job to get the regulars ready for the season not to indulgent in some fancy about a kid who was never going to be here.

I don't like the way camp has gone I agree completely with Impossibles that teams don't just flip the switch on. Winning is based upon building a solid foundation of good team play . Trying to jack up your intensity just leads to too much individual play and tons of mistakes.

galiano
09-30-2003, 02:45 PM
One indication of possible problems was the way Bertuzzi and Linden have responded to reporter's questions after games. Both have shown a degree of frustration about the team. I think both want to kick some butt but are holding back.

If there are problems I see two sources:

1. Far too many pre-season game. Because of the numbers we have to keep a split squad far too long. Mucking around with the Obsuts and Eatins and Komnariskis is no way to get ready for the season. We did this two years ago with disastrous results in the early season.

2. Too high an opinion of the younger players. Most of the these younger players should have been out of here a lot sooner. Smith, Morrison, Koltsov and others should have been in a Moose camp two weeks ago. There was way too much speculation that these younger players would be in the lineup. Even Crawford's kind of giddy enthusiasm for Mojsis was off base. Its Crawford's job to get the regulars ready for the season not to indulgent in some fancy about a kid who was never going to be here.

I don't like the way camp has gone I agree completely with Impossibles that teams don't just flip the switch on. Winning is based upon building a solid foundation of good team play . Trying to jack up your intensity just leads to too much individual play and tons of mistakes.

I wholeheartedly agree that there is a ridiculous number of preseason games. Six would have been about right and I imagine having 10 must really bother the veterans. But I don't agree with you about Crawford keeping some of the young players around. When someone shows as much promise as Mojzis then I'm sure the coaching staff want to have a good long look. He in particular has a skill set that the Canucks could really use. There will be injuries on the Canucks and it must be useful for Crawford and his staff to have seen how some of the young prospects look playing with and against NHL players.

What I don't get is why they kept Obsut, Roy, Eakins, etc around. These are guys who simply won't ever be NHL players so what's the point ?

nucks2001
09-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Our preseason last year was crappy as well until the last couple of games.. mind you we scored more but it was still just as bad

Peter Griffin
09-30-2003, 04:30 PM
What I don't get is why they kept Obsut, Roy, Eakins, etc around. These are guys who simply won't ever be NHL players so what's the point ?

I think you answered your own question. These are guys that aren't good enough to be NHL'ers, but can at least taste the NHL and at least feel like NHL'ers during the pre-season. Crawford was a guy that spent the majority of his career in the minor leagues and can relate to them.

Bobby Lou
10-01-2003, 05:37 AM
I have to wonder why people are freaking out about this so much.

We had a similar preseason last year (didn't we only get 4 wins?), and then proceeded to achieve our teams greatest success ever. I think everyone is looking way too much into this...I mean, a lot of teams are messing around with prospects and lines in the preseason...look at some of the other teams records (Detroit, like NFITO said).

In my opinion we are in a better position this year then we were at this time last year. Our team is obviously better (upgraded during the offseason), and our prospect pool is unexpectedly deep....so deep in fact, people start freaking out when the majority of our prospects (who are between 18-22) don't make the NHL right away or don't impress right out of the gate in preseason games. I'm just happy they had good enough camps to warrant the praise and were allowed to participate at all in preseason. They are prospects after all, not bluechips by long stretches with the exception of the guys still with the big club and possibly Reid and Auld.

I really think people are blowing our preseason record out of proportion and finding problems that simply aren't as big as they make them out to be. We are in a fairly good position if you think about it...we have players fighting for roster spots on both offense and defense, we have two players poised on the brink of complete break out (Twins) and a number of prospects who (on a less deep team) would already be penned in for opening night (Kesler, King, Ready...probably Reid as well).

I'm extremely excited for this season, as there is tons to look forward to...including the Sedins, Hedburg's presence, Arvedson, the possibility of impact prospects in Kesler and King. The impact Allen could have on our blueline. Exciting season in my opinion.