Any bets on who will be protected?

justapantherfan
09-30-2003, 12:54 PM
So who here thinks they know who will be protected.

FlaPanthers7
09-30-2003, 02:20 PM
How about who WILL NOT be protected? :D

Just when you get excited about the new/bigger Matt Cullen, one can only think that he is just not going to get the chance to succeed under Keenan. If it were up to Iron Mike, he won't be protected. It's only a matter of time before Nedorost takes that #2 spot anyway. Hopefully he'll live up to the billing, but then again he's not really a physical player either.

Others probably not protected:Novo & Shvidki. I won't even get into the guys in the minors... :rolleyes:

Clash*
09-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Others probably not protected:Novo & Shvidki. I won't even get into the guys in the minors... :rolleyes:
Sad reminder, but Shvidki is in the minors. There's no point in speculatin this really til any trades that might have happened before the deadline are announced. There's still the possibility that some could be announced tomorrow.

Heimy
09-30-2003, 02:33 PM
I'm betting Shvidki is protected. :D

Crossbar
09-30-2003, 02:39 PM
What position are we for the waiver draft, are we #1??? I know a team can't pick someone from the Eastern Conference (unless they trade like Dudley did with Biron/Tenkrat) but does that also include your own team?? Like lets say we expose Shvidki, can we pick him with the first pick or do we have to choose from the Western Conference only?

Heimy
09-30-2003, 02:46 PM
It's the same order as the entry draft so we're 4th. No team can pick a player from their own division whick means we can NOT select a Bolt, Cane, Cap or Bird.

Crossbar
09-30-2003, 02:56 PM
If its the same as the entry draft then aren't we 1st (because we won the lottery) or does it go by where you finished in the standings? Ah ok, some people think that Hereema and the other guy were picked up by the Rangers so they could take them back in the waiver draft.

Heimy
09-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Because we had the 4th worst record and there's no lottery in the waiver draft.

btw, once the 2nd round starts a team can select any player regardless of division.

FlaPanthers7
09-30-2003, 03:30 PM
So guys in the minors are automatically protected, Clash? I forgot how it works! :dunno:

sting_fan
09-30-2003, 04:50 PM
How many people do not have to be protected?

I still believe Novoseltsev, Shvidki, etc. can be protected without compromising someone elses job security.

Coolburn
09-30-2003, 04:58 PM
There was a thread a little while ago that had all the requirements. Both Novo & Shvidki were beyond the requirements but that could be wrong.

It had something to do with age, games played, & seasons as well...it was complex & confusing but I think Shvidki just passed the limit and Novo has been way passed it.

sting_fan
09-30-2003, 05:21 PM
There was a thread a little while ago that had all the requirements. Both Novo & Shvidki were beyond the requirements but that could be wrong.

It had something to do with age, games played, & seasons as well...it was complex & confusing but I think Shvidki just passed the limit and Novo has been way passed it.

Sorry, maybe I should have rephrased my question/statement. I think the Panthers are in a situation where they are able to protect both Shvidki and Novoseltsev without having to expose "someone else".

PanthersRule96
09-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Correct. Shvidki just passed it, but I am sure that he will be protected as the management would not risk losing such a player. YOu can't teach size or skill and Denis has all the makings to be great. Remember all of those late bloomers, Jokinen, Thorton, Bertuzzi Naslund, Jovo, etc... Shvidki should not be given up on yet. Give him one more year. I believe they should keep Kolnik as he deserves a shot in the NHL as does Shvidki. Ritchie will be left unprotected and I think so will McDonald if he is eligible, and other extras. They'll probably protect Messier but I don't know if Samuelsson has to be protected. He has not been spectacular. IMO they should dump Hoglubd as others deserve a shot that are younger, more effective, and more skilled (Shvidki, Horton, Hagman, Huselius)

justapantherfan
10-01-2003, 02:30 AM
Sad reminder, but Shvidki is in the minors. There's no point in speculatin this really til any trades that might have happened before the deadline are announced. There's still the possibility that some could be announced tomorrow.

Do you think there will be any trades? If there I doubt they would be big and I am all for getting something in return rather then giving away for free.

What about Bure? Think they will protect him or would someone want his salary?

He is out again with a groin injury.

Coolburn
10-01-2003, 02:40 AM
There's a trade freeze in effect as of yesterday at 2pm I believe (but some deals don't get announced till today). However the Sentinel says that it will be Novo, Bednar & Trnka being exposed in the waiver draft and the official list will be released for all teams today. If we claim a player, we have to exposed another player. With our depth and unless the player is extremely worth it, I doubt Dudley would make a claim but its always possible.

Acadmus
10-01-2003, 04:49 AM
There's a trade freeze in effect as of yesterday at 2pm I believe (but some deals don't get announced till today). However the Sentinel says that it will be Novo, Bednar & Trnka being exposed in the waiver draft and the official list will be released for all teams today. If we claim a player, we have to exposed another player. With our depth and unless the player is extremely worth it, I doubt Dudley would make a claim but its always possible.

Actually, I thought the article said the Panthers were actually safe for the waiver draft, but that Dudley was going to expose Novo anyway hoping someone would pick him up, and then Bednar and Trnka might also be exposed, but were less definite.

Heimy
10-01-2003, 05:16 AM
I can't believe Bednar would be exposed over some others. The guy had a strong camp and produced last season despite limited opportunities. I'd waive Hoglund (among others) before him.

Clash*
10-01-2003, 05:20 AM
I can't believe Bednar would be exposed over some others. The guy had a strong camp and produced last season despite limited opportunities. I'd waive Hoglund (among others) before him.
Sometimes its a matter of redundancy. Bure, Bednar, and Kolnik can all be considered the same type of player, excpet that Bednar has experience at center instead of just right wing.

sting_fan
10-01-2003, 05:26 AM
At $500,000/year, Bednar will be as good as gone if left exposed.

I too am surprised Bednar may be left unprotected. I'd much rather have seen Kolnik made available.

Captain8
10-01-2003, 07:38 AM

It's hard to believe that Bure is going to be protected.

As far as depth is concerned, it's apparent that it's mostly quantity, not quality at this point. Apart from Kozlov, Jokinen, and Huselius, every other forward candidate (Nilson to a lesser degree) stuffing the depth chart has some sort of issue with either role, status, and/or salary. The tough decisions facing the team are not so much a byproduct of depth, but rather a logistical headache caused in large part by the unknown.

I also expect the Panthers to be mostly passive because of financial concerns above all else. Every year, there are some decent NHLers who get exposed because of salary. I'm certain that the Panthers wouldn't be unwilling to sacrifice one of the many players they've already marginalized if money were not an issue.

FlaPanthers7
10-01-2003, 11:26 AM

Heimy, don't protect a guy who was signed a month ago to play on the top line??? :dunno:

Heimy
10-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Heimy, don't protect a guy who was signed a month ago to play on the top line??? :dunno:

just in my judgement...and remember, Bednar is younger and earns the same money. I think Bednar has got more value than a guy willing to sign a 2-way contract late into the summer.

sting_fan
10-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Bednar was left unprotected. Here's the list of players the Panthers protected and left unprotected:

Protected

Mathieu Biron, D; Valeri Bure, F; Matt Cullen, F; Paul Elliott, D; Niklas Hagman, F; Jonas Hoglund, F; Kristian Huselius, F; Olli Jokinen, F; Scott Kelman, F; Viktor Kozlov, F; Andreas Lilja, D; Craig MacDonald, F; Eric Messier, F; Marcus Nilson, F; Lyle Odelein, D; Jeff Paul, D; Mikael Samuelsson, F; Dmitri Tolkunov, D; Jani Hurme, G; Roberto Luongo, G.

Unprotected

Jaroslav Bednar, F; Todd Gill, D; Paul Laus, D; Ivan Novoseltsev, F; Byron Ritchie, F; Pavel Trnka, D; Chris Mason, G; Travis Scott, G.

Good to know that McDonald, Kelman and Elliott are more important to this team then Bednar and Novoseltsev.

I'm also curious as to why Shvidki did not need to be protected, yet has to pass through waivers if the Panthers intend to have him start the season in the AHL.

Clash*
10-01-2003, 01:05 PM
I'm also curious as to why Shvidki did not need to be protected, yet has to pass through waivers if the Panthers intend to have him start the season in the AHL.
Because the Waiver draft counts NHL games, not pro games. Shvidki hasn't played enough NHL games yet, but has more than enough North Ameican pro games (AHL,ECHL,CHL,UHL,etc...) already. I just noticed the difference today.