Kesler sent down

incawg
10-01-2003, 10:42 AM
http://www.canucks.com/news/pressreleases.asp?sectionID=31&id=316

Can't say I didn't see it coming. Very solid camp for him and I would expect a callup at some point. Ready, Keane, and King will fight for that last spot. I don't think that Ready has a realistic shot though.

MVP
10-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Too bad Hedberg injury is more serious that Crawford let us know 1 or 2 days lol, but at less now Hedberg has the time to fully heal his leg because he is such a good fit for the Canucks system with his puck handling skill which is so critical in the playoff because it takes the pressure off the defencemen. Hopefully Moss will have the opportunity to play one of the two remaining games.

i don't know about Ready since he has not done anything in a neutral way. I think the battle is Keane Vs King.

maruk14
10-01-2003, 10:50 AM
Well, so much for my theory that he would start the season with the big club ;)

I still hope that last spot goes to King or even Ready instead of Keane. No sense tying up a roster spot on an over the hill hockey player, IMO. King is certainly making a push with his play thus far.

MVP
10-01-2003, 10:53 AM
i agree with King over Keane, but i still take Keane over Ready.

My reason is Ready and Keane brings same elements to the table which is solid defensive presence, with Keane showing the ability to contribute something like 5 to 10 goals a season without making any critical rookie mistake, same cannot be said for Ready.

monster_bertuzzi
10-01-2003, 10:55 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing *both* King and Keane staying with the big club, and maybe waiving Lindgren, or trading Ruutu.

Yammer
10-01-2003, 10:57 AM
I saw, like, one game of Ryan Ready, so I am not going to write him off just because he looked like he didn't know where the puck was going. He was an AHL all-star last season IIRC -- he's done everything that the Canucks can ask of a farmhand. It's only right that he have this shot to make the team on merit.

I do think that Jason King has more merit though.

TonyTanti
10-01-2003, 10:57 AM
The ONLY way I want King on this team is if he's getting regualr minutes. I'd hate to see a talented kid rot on the end of the bench or in the pressbox instead of getting valuable minutes in the Peg.

If it comes down to a 14th forward to share the pressbox with Langdon or May, depending on who plays, I want Keane up there sharing the popcorn.

nucks2001
10-01-2003, 11:01 AM
You have to remember that this spot is going to the 14th forward.. someone who won't be playing often.. guys like King are better served being in the minors full time then not playing up here. Imo its nice to have a spot for rookies but i think the spot fits Keane the best

MVP
10-01-2003, 11:02 AM
The ONLY way I want King on this team is if he's getting regualr minutes. I'd hate to see a talented kid rot on the end of the bench or in the pressbox instead of getting valuable minutes in the Peg.

If it comes down to a 14th forward to share the pressbox with Langdon or May, depending on who plays, I want Keane up there sharing the popcorn.

Yup, i think if the Canucks decide to keep King around, he would be place on the second or third line beside Sedins or Linden/Cooke. Either way he will get close to 10 minutes per game in the NHL, which is not bad. On the other hand, if the Canucks want more veteran presence than Keane is guy. Ready, well i don't want to bash the kid since like Yammer has said so well with the merit, however, the reality of NHL is talent + heart makes the league but not heart alone.

MVP
10-01-2003, 11:04 AM
You have to remember that this spot is going to the 14th forward.. someone who won't be playing often.. guys like King are better served being in the minors full time then not playing up here. Imo its nice to have a spot for rookies but i think the spot fits Keane the best

Who said that the only spot available is 14th forward?

maruk14
10-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Not to mention they may just go with a 22 man roster to begin the season. Crow has talked openly about this possibility. Keane would not be signed, and that roster spot would go to a rotating Moose player or just left alone to give us some roster flexibility during the season.

Peter Griffin
10-01-2003, 11:49 AM
I saw this coming, but thought it would've happened after the waiver draft. Kesler isn't going to get a regular spot in the line-up, and he's not going to improve sitting in the pressbox. 15-20 min/game in all situations in the minors is the best for him right not. If Lindgren or Ruutu is moved/injured, then Kesler will be called up and placed in a 3rd/4th line role.

canucksfan
10-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Kesler had a very solid preseason and training camp.

orcatown
10-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Came down to King or Kesler and King won out. I think he wins because he is seen as still a possibility for the Sedin line and that is the open spot. Arvedsson didn't fit because he bumped D. Sedin to the wrong wing and they'll probably not want to move Bertuzzzi to the Sedin line. At least yet Kesler was in the mix with Chubarov, Cooke, Lindgren, May, Ruutu, Linden and, to a lesser extent, Keane and Ready. There is just no room right now. If any of these falter, or in the case of Keane, go unsigned then Kesler will be back.

One implication of the Kesler demotion is that it may make it harder to get Umberger since he can now see that he is Moose bound if he does sign.

TonyTanti
10-01-2003, 02:02 PM
One implication of the Kesler demotion is that it may make it harder to get Umberger since he can now see that he is Moose bound if he does sign.

I think he'd be delusional to have thought otherwise from the start. Burke and Co have always said that Kesler is more ready to the pro game "at the current time"

Impossibles
10-01-2003, 05:37 PM
I think Kesler staying with the big club this far along in the season was more of a reward for playing so well then it was him almost making the team.

He plays center, and we just don't have a spot for him. He's not going to take Lindgren's or Chubby's roster spots at the moment. For a checking forward, experience is a neccesity.

But Chubby better start scoring, otherwise Kesler could be challenging for his spot next season.