Waiver Draft - Canucks Protection List (Official)

Mizral
10-01-2003, 12:17 PM
Vancouver Canucks

Protected

Magnus Arvedson, F; Todd Bertuzzi, F; Artem Chubarov, F; Matt Cooke, F; Ed
Jovanovski, D; Trevor Linden, F; Mats Lindgren, F; Marek Malik, D; Brad
May, F; Brendan Morrison, F; Markus Naslund, F; Mattias Ohlund, D; Jarkko
Ruutu, F; Sami Salo, D; Daniel Sedin, F; Henrik Sedin, F; Jiri Slegr, D;
Brent Sopel, D; Dan Cloutier, G; Johan Hedberg, G.

Available

Nolan Baumgartner, D; Tyler Bouck, F; Johan Davidsson, F; Dallas Eakins, D;
Pat Kavanagh, F; Zenith Komarniski, F; Darren Langdon, F; Chris Nielsen, F;
Jaroslav Obsut, D; Ryan Ready, F; Leif Rohlin, D; Vadim Sharifijanov, F;
Tyler Moss, G.

(Note; I looked through what the other teams out there left available. Outside of the obvious big contract guys - Bure, Richter, CuJo, Reichal - there wasn't a whole lot. The only guy that jumped out at me on our list was Tyler Bouck)

MVP
10-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Might i ask where you got the list from so i can look at the rest of it?

Mizral
10-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Read this thread:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?postid=264681#post264681

MVP
10-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Thank you

maruk14
10-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Do you have a link? Not that I don't believe you, I would just like to see the lists.

From this, Allen was exempt. We are all wrong and irrelevant ;)

maruk14
10-01-2003, 12:26 PM
This one kind of stuck out at me ....

Pittsburgh Penguins

Protected

Ramzi Abid, F; Drake Berehowsky, D; Marc Bergevin, D; Matt Bradley, F;
Kelly Buchberger, F; Brendan Buckley, D; Mike Eastwood, F; Rico Fata, F;
Dan Focht, D; Brian Holzinger, F; Milan Kraft, F; Mario Lemieux, F; Steve
McKenna, F; Josef Melichar, D; Aleksey Morozov, F; Michal Rozsival, D;
Martin Straka, F; Dick Tarnstrom, D; Jean-Sebastien Aubin, G; Sebastien
Caron, G.

Available

Patrick Boileau, D; Tom Kostopoulos, F; Richard Lintner, D; Eric Meloche,
F; Toby Petersen, F; Reid Simpson, F; Martin Brochu, G.

Good thing Burkey pulled off that Hedberg trade :D

incawg
10-01-2003, 12:28 PM
pdf file here: http://washingtoncaps.com/photos/waiverlist03.pdf

MVP
10-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Do you have a link? Not that I don't believe you, I would just like to see the lists.

From this, Allen was exempt. We are all wrong and irrelevant ;)

Not all, but selective. ;)

Good work incawg .

MVP
10-01-2003, 12:34 PM
http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/10/152128.html

The offical list

maruk14
10-01-2003, 12:37 PM
A few interesting names on there, although I will be surprised if Burke takes anyone ..

Steve Shields - G (bit of a surprise)
Karl Dykhuis
Chris Therien

Oh, and we exposed Leif Rohlin ... how are we going to get through the season without him :)

kmad
10-01-2003, 12:37 PM
New Jersey Devils
Available

Maxim Balmochnykh, F; Jiri Bicek, F; Alex Brooks, D; Greg Crozier, F; Craig Darby, F; Ray Giroux, D; Steve Guolla, F; Joe Hulbig, F; Steve Kariya, F; Mike Matteucci, D; Scott Clemmensen, G.

Phoenix Coyotes
Available

Frank Banham, F; Chris Ferraro, F; Peter Ferraro, F; Bryan Helmer, D; Brian Savage, F; Gary Shuchuk, F; Todd Simpson, D; Nikos Tselios, D; Mike Wilson, D; Brian Boucher, G; Jean-Marc Pelletier, G.

Toronto Maple Leafs
Available

Lonny Bohonos, F; Harold Druken, F; Maxim Galanov, D; Aaron Gavey, F; Travis Green, F; Josh Holden, F; Brad Leeb, F; Marc Moro, D; Robert Reichel, F; Mike Minard, G.

Peter Griffin
10-01-2003, 12:39 PM
The 'Yotes left Brian Boucher exposed. They paid a lot to get him(Handzus and Esche), I wonder if anyone will take a chance on him and his salary?

MVP
10-01-2003, 12:41 PM
The 'Yotes left Brian Boucher exposed. They paid a lot to get him(Handzus and Esche), I wonder if anyone will take a chance on him and his salary?

Maybe Calgary, although i doubt it

orcatown
10-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Some points on the lists

1. Canucks may in danger of losing Baumgartner because of the need on defense of some teams. Also his salary is right. Also a slight danger of losing Langdon. However if Baumgartner is taken they should then be able to protect Langdon. None of the rest will be taken.

2. Most interesting name is, of course, Joesph. Hopefully is too rich for 'Lanche or St. Louis. But there is a danger here for the Canucks.

3. If Langdon goes Canucks may want to look to make a deal for Reid Simpson. Low round draft.

4. Todd Harvey should raise some interest. Little surprised he's there but medical problems (mainly with concussion) may be a factor.

5. Czerkawski availability suggests how ill-founded were sentiments by some who suggest the Canucks go after him. That arguement now seems closed.

6. Good thing the Canucks did not wait on Waiver draft to get a goalie. Nothing substantial was avialable. (outside of Joesph)

All in all this draft, outside of the Joesph situation, is again a non event.

Also good job by the Canucks of leaving little on the table for other clubs. Much the same could be said, however, about all the teams

Peter
10-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Some points on the lists

1. Canucks may in danger of losing Baumgartner because of the need on defense of some teams. Also his salary is right. Also a slight danger of losing Langdon. However if Baumgartner is taken they should then be able to protect Langdon. None of the rest will be taken.

4. Todd Harvey should raise some interest. Little surprised he's there but medical problems (mainly with concussion) may be a factor.

6. Good thing the Canucks did not wait on Waiver draft to get a goalie. Nothing substantial was avialable. (outside of Joesph)

Also good job by the Canucks of leaving little on the table for other clubs. Much the same could be said, however, about all the teams

1. I don't think we will lose Baumgartner but if we do no loss in my opinion. We have enough on the farm to look after the #7 slot or pick up someone else from the waiver draft.

4. Harvery will raise some interests depending on his injury status.

6. Disagree here. Shields and Boucher both would have been good picks for Cloutier's back-up. I like Hedburg and am glad we got them but to say there is no one of 'substance' available is not correct IMO.

We left a little on the table. I think Bouck will be gone and same with Ready.

Peter Griffin
10-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Some points on the lists

2. Most interesting name is, of course, Joesph. Hopefully is too rich for 'Lanche or St. Louis. But there is a danger here for the Canucks.

3. If Langdon goes Canucks may want to look to make a deal for Reid Simpson. Low round draft.

5. Czerkawski availability suggests how ill-founded were sentiments by some who suggest the Canucks go after him. That arguement now seems closed.

All in all this draft, outside of the Joesph situation, is again a non event.

Baumgartner could be picked up, and if he is, oh well. The Canucks have plenty of defensive depth to replace an 8th defenseman, at best.

As for Langdon, I hope he's taken. He's useless now that May is going to be playing full-time. May can provide some enforcement and can also play a regular shift. If the Canucks need some added toughness, Grenier will be called up, Burke has already said that he should see some NHL action this year.

Todd Harvey could be an interesting pick-up, kind of like a poor man's Matt Cooke. But his $1.3 mil salary will almost certainly scare off most teams.

I wasn't aware any posters wanted the Canucks to go after Czerkawski...

All in all, like you said, a pretty bad waiver draft all-around.

Mr. Canucklehead
10-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Interesting names, in my opinion...

Eric Boulton(if Langdon gets claimed, hey...he can fight)
Theoren Fleury :p
Claude Lemieux(if he wasn't making so much cash...)
Curtis Joseph(think anyone will claim him?)
Jaroslav Bednar(he's a pretty skilled player)
Pavel Bure(he's available....:p)
Brian Savage(he can score, makes too much $$$ and is soft tho)
Brian Boucher(someone will claim him, I think)
LONNY BOHONOS!!!! Damn man, this guy is killer!! lol Get him!
Travis Green(clutch in the Playoffs, but how much does he make?)

~Canucklehead~

ping
10-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Green will make 1.6 and we have enough good 3rd liners on the Canucks....Cooke, Linden, Chubarov, Arvedson, etc

Didn't Harvey have a concussion or something or am I delusional?

ping
10-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Therien would've been a good pickup if we hadn't signed Slegr and he made less. (Makes 2.6 mil this year).

I really wonder if Lacroix is going to pickup Cujo off the wire. My gut says no but you never know..

Reign Nateo
10-01-2003, 03:53 PM
Only two names I would be interested in:

RW Ivan Novoseltsev
RW Sheldon Keefe

In fact, I would really like the Canucks to pick up Keefe, a smallish guy that hits and plays hard, he's also shown he can score at the AHL level.

I doubt he lasts to the Canucks however.

Connecticut
10-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Another guy who would fit into the mold of people we could use is Todd Simpson, tough mean stay at home D, but no room, so no dice.

maruk14
10-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Another guy who would fit into the mold of people we could use is Todd Simpson, tough mean stay at home D, but no room, so no dice.

He would be a nice fit, huh? You are right though, he won't be coming here. Some team will grab him I have a feeling.

nucks2001
10-01-2003, 04:11 PM
2 interesting names that stick out for me are Ivan Novoseltsev and Jiri Bicek. I'd like to see Calgary pick up one of these guys as I think it would help them out tremendously.

PecaFan
10-01-2003, 04:22 PM
Some points on the lists

1) I doubt Baumer goes anywhere. He was available last year, no one took him.

5) Just because a guy is on the waiver list? Lots of decent players have been exposed, as well as actually acquired via the waiver list. Maybe we should wait until we see how he actually does this year before we declare him a huge failure again.

6) Boucher, Shields, and Hnilicka would all have sufficed as a backup, and allowed us to keep our 2nd round pick. I still say you build your team in the offseason by signing free agents, and save the trades for *during* the season.

ping
10-01-2003, 04:26 PM
6) Boucher, Shields, and Hnilicka would all have sufficed as a backup, and allowed us to keep our 2nd round pick. I still say you build your team in the offseason by signing free agents, and save the trades for *during* the season.

Hedberg can be a starter. These guys aren't. Hedberg also has that playoff experience.

nucks2001
10-01-2003, 04:46 PM
1) I doubt Baumer goes anywhere. He was available last year, no one took him.

5) Just because a guy is on the waiver list? Lots of decent players have been exposed, as well as actually acquired via the waiver list. Maybe we should wait until we see how he actually does this year before we declare him a huge failure again.

No... sorry.. Hnilicka would not have sufficed.. the guy with a 1.6ish million dollar contract who couldn't even stay with the Thrashers last season doesn't cut it.

cyrisweb
10-01-2003, 05:04 PM

2 million dollars for Boucher?? who are you kidding..
Hedberg is a clear upgrade over both Shields and Hnilicka..
The entire reason for picking up a guy like Hedberg is because there are so many question marks around Cloutier. Can he stay healthy can he improve his play in the playoffs.. If we just picked up any old scrub off waivers then we end up with another Skudra situation where the coach and the team don't trust him and can not rely on him.

maruk14
10-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Boucher, Shields, and Hnilicka would all have sufficed as a backup, and allowed us to keep our 2nd round pick. I still say you build your team in the offseason by signing free agents, and save the trades for *during* the season.

Boucher - Too much money, too little results. 2 million is a lot of money for a backup goaltender. Since his big playoffs he has been nothing but a disappointment. I would rather have Hedberg

Shields - You have a point here. Same salary, close age wise, but Hedberg has proven more and shown the ability to be a #1. Shields hasn't, IMO, even though he has been given many opportunities. Could not grab the #1 for a decent Boston team last year. Having said that, he would have been a good solution to the backup role, and could have pushed Clouts for playing time.

Hnilicka - Little bit more money, but not as good of a goalie. Not the best option for Vancouver.

All in all Hedberg will be a solid addition and will help us more than Shields would have, but I think that improvement is marginal and in a perfect world Burke would have been better served trying to grab Shields and save the 2nd rounder.

However, who knows if Shields even lasts until our pick, and if that was the case and we were walking away from the waiver draft with Tyler Moss as our backup I wouldn't be very happy at all. Then trading a 2nd rounder for Hedberg would look mighty good. This is all in hindsight. I will reserve my final judgement until I see where Shields goes, if at all.

orcatown
10-01-2003, 06:55 PM
I'm with you on that one mecca. I hated playing against Todd Simpson. He is one mean begger. The only trouble is salary - 1.5 mill. and the fact he is very penalty prone. Also something happened (and I've forgotten) discipline-wise last season with Simpson. However, I would like to have him for the toughest and decent skills he brings. Probably long gone before the Canucks could take a pass at him.

As to the goaltenders. I don't see any of these guys including the much passed around Shields as pushing Cloutier. We need someone who can be first string if Cloutier falters.

Another name of interest on the list is Reichel. However doubt anyone takes this obvious salary dump.

I Hate You All*
10-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Oh, and we exposed Leif Rohlin ... how are we going to get through the season without him :)

Even if I wasn't inebriated (and listening to music from the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack :) ) I think that would make me laught out loud.

Stupid )(*@#*#druken... primadonna... :rant:

cyrisweb
10-02-2003, 12:30 AM
If we loose Langdon, how about the idea of picking up Muckalt?
I think he could play a similar role as Klatt did here, but for the money we want to spend. As Muckalt is only $800,000.

andora
10-02-2003, 12:35 AM
i was just coming to this thread to mention muckalt.. however i see he's already made an appearance..

i think he'd be an excellent addition, and could fill in for an injured player *cough arvedson cough*... at any point and otherwise platoon productively with mike keane (who shouldn't be consistently dressed imo)

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-02-2003, 12:49 AM
Lanny Bohonos!!! Lanny Bohonos!!!

andora
10-02-2003, 01:06 AM
calm down lonny :p

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-02-2003, 01:30 AM
calm down lonny :p

Dammit, it's LONNY... krap. :joker:

Pangolin
10-02-2003, 05:26 AM
i was just coming to this thread to mention muckalt.. however i see he's already made an appearance..

i think he'd be an excellent addition, and could fill in for an injured player *cough arvedson cough*... at any point and otherwise platoon productively with mike keane (who shouldn't be consistently dressed imo)

No to picking up Muckalt....
I'd like him but there nobody we can expose after we picked him up...
We would have to expose a forward...And he really isn't an upgrade over any of our protected forwards...
The only player we have protected that I can see us safely dropping is Slegr...limiting us to picking a defenseman only...

NFITO
10-02-2003, 08:44 AM
No to picking up Muckalt....
I'd like him but there nobody we can expose after we picked him up...
We would have to expose a forward...And he really isn't an upgrade over any of our protected forwards...
The only player we have protected that I can see us safely dropping is Slegr...limiting us to picking a defenseman only...

first one to mention that we would need to drop a player if we pick up a player (not if we lose a player already exposed).

If we lose Langdon, we can't replace him with anyone, unless we decide to expose another player.... the next on the list is probably Lindgren - is there anyone there to pick up to swap with Lindgren?? IMO no.. when you factor in that he already gives us what we need in his position and role, that it's not really worth it.

also with Mucklat... you think that Crawford has forgotten about him and their very rocky relationship?? he was shipped out of Vancouver in no small part thanks to Crawford's dislike for him... I doubt that Burke would bring him back.

personally with Langdon and Baumer... I'd rather lose Langdon... if we do, I think the team would then sign Keane, and still have a 14th spot open through the season for who ever has earned it for that time from Manitoba... I liked the fact the team carried 13 forwards, instead of 14, after the Warriner deal last year... opened up the door to see King and Reid last season, and without those handful of games they got, they might not be where they are today - both those guys jumped significantly up our depth charts late last season.

Mr. Canucklehead
10-02-2003, 09:56 AM
Not really anyone I'd like to see us roll the dice on. Bill Muckalt would be a decent pickup, as would someone like Mattias Timmander. But we have cheaper/better versions of them in Mats Lindgren and Jiri Slegr/Nolan Baumgartner.

Personally, I'd like to see Baumgartner get picked off. He wasn't all that impressive last season, and the Manitoba Moose now have a logjam on defense. Langdon, I don't think, will be claimed, but it could happen. If that happens, we could always snag Eric Boulton from the Sabres. :p

~Canucklehead~

TonyTanti
10-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Not really anyone I'd like to see us roll the dice on. Bill Muckalt would be a decent pickup, as would someone like Mattias Timmander. But we have cheaper/better versions of them in Mats Lindgren and Jiri Slegr/Nolan Baumgartner.

Personally, I'd like to see Baumgartner get picked off. He wasn't all that impressive last season, and the Manitoba Moose now have a logjam on defense. Langdon, I don't think, will be claimed, but it could happen. If that happens, we could always snag Eric Boulton from the Sabres. :p

~Canucklehead~

But who do you drop to pick up Boulton? If Langdon goes, May dresses every game and Grenier probably gets the call for specific games where a heavyweight might be needed.

The Canucks have had it easy in the past few waiver drafts due to the youth of their team. This year, putting Langdon out there is pretty low risk, next year, I'd imagine the choices get tougher again as more AHL level guys require waivers to go down.

If I'm Burke, I love to have a problem like this, it means the team has made a lot of progress and has too many (if that isn't an oxymoron) NHL calibre players.

Hi-wayman
10-02-2003, 10:23 AM
New Jersey Devils
Available

Maxim Balmochnykh, F; Jiri Bicek, F; Alex Brooks, D; Greg Crozier, F; Craig Darby, F; Ray Giroux, D; Steve Guolla, F; Joe Hulbig, F; Steve Kariya, F; Mike Matteucci, D; Scott Clemmensen, G.

Phoenix Coyotes
Available

Frank Banham, F; Chris Ferraro, F; Peter Ferraro, F; Bryan Helmer, D; Brian Savage, F; Gary Shuchuk, F; Todd Simpson, D; Nikos Tselios, D; Mike Wilson, D; Brian Boucher, G; Jean-Marc Pelletier, G.

Toronto Maple Leafs
Available

Lonny Bohonos, F; Harold Druken, F; Maxim Galanov, D; Aaron Gavey, F; Travis Green, F; Josh Holden, F; Brad Leeb, F; Marc Moro, D; Robert Reichel, F; Mike Minard, G.
You forgot to hightlight Josh Holden. :p :rolly: :p

Mr. Canucklehead
10-02-2003, 10:32 AM
One guy I forgot to mention--I wouldn't mind at all if we unprotected Jiri Slegr and claimed Todd Simpson. Simpson's a local boy, crease-clearing defensemen, just the type we need. None of our defenders play a tough game, Simpson can do that. If we lost Langdon, claiming Simpson to replace his toughness wouldn't be a bad move.

~Canucklehead~

Chevy Cheveldae
10-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Don't know if i post in the right thread ....

Is Justin Kurtz still with us ?

maruk14
10-02-2003, 05:08 PM

No. I think he signed to play in Europe, but I am not sure where.

PecaFan
10-02-2003, 05:33 PM
You forgot to hightlight Josh Holden. :p :rolly: :p

Not to mention Mike Wilson, Arturs Irbe, Mark Wotton, Bill Muckalt, Andre Savage, Martin Brochu, and Eric Fichaud (was in Manitoba two years ago).

You can almost make a whole team out of ex-canucks on waivers.

With the protected list as it is, I think it's pretty clear Burkie will *not* be picking up anybody. There's no obvious drop candidate.

Waveburner
10-02-2003, 06:07 PM

He's German now :p

Jon Burke
10-02-2003, 08:20 PM
This one kind of stuck out at me ....

Pittsburgh Penguins

Protected

Ramzi Abid, F; Drake Berehowsky, D; Marc Bergevin, D; Matt Bradley, F;
Kelly Buchberger, F; Brendan Buckley, D; Mike Eastwood, F; Rico Fata, F;
Dan Focht, D; Brian Holzinger, F; Milan Kraft, F; Mario Lemieux, F; Steve
McKenna, F; Josef Melichar, D; Aleksey Morozov, F; Michal Rozsival, D;
Martin Straka, F; Dick Tarnstrom, D; Jean-Sebastien Aubin, G; Sebastien
Caron, G.

Available

Patrick Boileau, D; Tom Kostopoulos, F; Richard Lintner, D; Eric Meloche,
F; Toby Petersen, F; Reid Simpson, F; Martin Brochu, G.

Good thing Burkey pulled off that Hedberg trade :D

I think we could use a temporary fill-in at backup seeing as Hedberg's injured... ;)