Devils official Waiver Draft list

MattNJD
10-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Protected:
Sean Brown, D; Sergei Brylin, F; Scott Cameron, F; Patrik Elias, F; Jeff Friesen, F; Brian Gionta, F; Scott Gomez, F; Jamie Langenbrunner, F; Igor Larionov, F; John Madden, F; Grant Marshall, F; Scott Niedermayer, D; Jay Pandolfo, F; Brian Rafalski, D; Erik Rasmussen, F; Scott Stevens, D; Turner Stevenson, F; Colin White, D; Martin Brodeur, G; Corey Schwab, G.

Available

Maxim Balmochnykh, F; Jiri Bicek, F; Alex Brooks, D; Greg Crozier, F; Craig Darby, F; Ray Giroux, D; Steve Guolla, F; Joe Hulbig, F; Steve Kariya, F; Mike Matteucci, D; Scott Clemmensen, G.

Tao Jones
10-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Wow, wonder why Lou would protect Scott Cameron over Giroux, Bicek, and even Balmochnykh?

MattNJD
10-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Wow, wonder why Lou would protect Scott Cameron over Giroux, Bicek, and even Balmochnykh?

yea honestly!!! What on earth???????????? This doesn't make ANY sense to me... none. I know Lou has a reason, but for the life of me I have ZERO idea as to what it is.

devildan
10-01-2003, 12:59 PM
yea honestly!!! What on earth???????????? This doesn't make ANY sense to me... none. I know Lou has a reason, but for the life of me I have ZERO idea as to what it is.

Well Giroux is a defenceman, so he coudnt be protected in camerons place

MattNJD
10-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Well Giroux is a defenceman, so he coudnt be protected in camerons place

Ah true, brain cramp on my part :rolly: . Thanks for pointing that out.

ratsgirl
10-01-2003, 01:03 PM
this is totally confusing re: cameron. (ok, i didn't really need to point that out)

tmg
10-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Aren't the only 'quotas' in force 18 skaters + 2 Goalies? You could protect 18 D if you'd like.

I think Brown could be listed as a F if the Devils wanted/needed him to be anwyays. I think he spent a lot of time last season as a winger.

ttnorm
10-01-2003, 01:06 PM
Well Giroux is a defenceman, so he coudnt be protected in camerons placeBut Brown over Giroux?!? Oh well, like I always say, trust in Lou!

Unthinkable
10-01-2003, 01:11 PM
I'm suddenly feeling sick to my stomach.

Tao Jones
10-01-2003, 01:13 PM
I know Cameron was in camp, but did he play in even 1 game? I thought he was sent down in the first wave of cuts. As far as Giroux goes, maybe Lou is rewarding him by letting another team give him more ice time as a top-4?:dunno: This gives Albelin a better chance of being signed.

Dirty Core
10-01-2003, 01:14 PM
I'm suddenly feeling sick to my stomach.
The Dirty Core says bring back Ken Sutton! :rant:

MattNJD
10-01-2003, 01:15 PM
I know Cameron was in camp, but did he play in even 1 game? I thought he was sent down in the first wave of cuts. As far as Giroux goes, maybe Lou is rewarding him by letting another team give him more ice time as a top-4?:dunno: This gives Albelin a better chance of being signed.

How bout reward him letting him be an NHL regular on the defending Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils!

Dirty Core
10-01-2003, 01:17 PM

The Dirty Core also says that everyone's hockey knowledge is weak and he is the ultimate Devil's insider. Ask the Dirty Core any question and he will give a response based on fact, not popular opinion!!!:bow:

MattNJD
10-01-2003, 01:17 PM

Or maybe even Joel Bouchard. He's not protected. If we lose Giroux we gotta get another NHLer. Hale and Martin just aren't ready.

Unthinkable
10-01-2003, 01:18 PM
As far as Giroux goes, maybe Lou is rewarding him by letting another team give him more ice time as a top-4?:dunno: This gives Albelin a better chance of being signed.

You might be onto something there TJ as I would have zero qualms with Ray Giroux filling in for an injured Brian Rafalski right now. I think he's closer to top four then he is to a 6th - 7th defenseman.

ZadorovNJD*
10-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Maybe it was a typo? That's the only explanation I can think of. I read alot of training camp articles (starved for hockey talk) and I don't think I heard Cameron mentioned once...when I saw him on the protected list I was in shock. If we lose Giroux so we can keep Cameron I'll be upset to say the least.

Tao Jones
10-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Maybe Lou already has a post-draft deal in the works? If not, I hope this is a misprint. How official is the list source? I don't think Martin or Hale are ready.

PEli*
10-01-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm almost positive that Giroux and Clemmensen will be selected. It's good for them in that they get to play but it's bad for us in that we lose two talented guys.

MattNJD
10-01-2003, 01:42 PM
I hope this is a misprint. How official is the list source?

Its not a misprint. I Copied that list from NHL.com. It doesn't get anymore official than that.

Tao Jones
10-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Thanks, I'm still in disbelief. Who do you think will get him? Nashville?

hockey fan
10-01-2003, 01:49 PM

I'm alittle confused. Could someone tell me why Scott Cameron would even have to be protected? He didn't play in any NHL games. I don't really understand the waiver draft rules. I am happy he is protected though. He is a real asset to the Rats. He is a great penalty killer and he reads the plays very well. Last year he even helped Skrlac score! I think with more ice time, he could be very valuable to the devils. He might not be a very physical player, but he plays with his head. Don't get me wrong though, Giroux is a great player, and I also cannot understand why Lou didn't protect him.

Unthinkable
10-01-2003, 01:52 PM
I'm almost positive that Giroux and Clemmensen will be selected. It's good for them in that they get to play but it's bad for us in that we lose two talented guys.

May as well get the bows and ribbons ready. Gift wrapped with love baby! What GM in his right mind wouldn't take a few moments to ponder ravaging our prospects like vultures hovering over a fresh carcass on the side of the road with Lou and Conte's developmental track record in the wake of yet another Stanley Cup win?

ratsgirl
10-01-2003, 01:55 PM
I'm alittle confused. Could someone tell me why Scott Cameron would even have to be protected? He didn't play in any NHL games. I don't really understand the waiver draft rules. I am happy he is protected though. He is a real asset to the Rats. He is a great penalty killer and he reads the plays very well. Last year he even helped Skrlac score! I think with more ice time, he could be very valuable to the devils. He might not be a very physical player, but he plays with his head. Don't get me wrong though, Giroux is a great player, and I also cannot understand why Lou didn't protect him.

I don't get it either--he's only 22, and yet players like Rupp and Berglund at 23 are protected.

Tao Jones
10-01-2003, 01:56 PM

He was signed in '99 and he is 22, meaning he has already been exempt for his 3 time limit.

ratsgirl
10-01-2003, 01:57 PM
He was signed in '99 and he is 22, meaning he has already been exempt for his 3 time limit.

i thought if you signed at 19 you got 4 years of exemption? (5 years if you sign at 18)

Edit: i shouldn't try to do math. 19-20-21-22 actually is 4 years. i think.

Tao Jones
10-01-2003, 02:06 PM
I read the rules as current age (22) and years from signing(4). See bottom of draft list at Nhl.com. Very confusing.
I am glad you think he has potential though. Thanks for the report, as I hadn't seen much about him recently.

Tao Jones
10-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Bicek will be grabed by Atlanta I think.

Do you think Atlanta brings Rheaume back also? Didn't Snyder center their 4th line?

ZadorovNJD*
10-01-2003, 02:16 PM
He may be an asset to the Rats and might some day maybe possibly be an asset to the Devils, but Giroux is a top 6 in NJ now, and probably a top 4 on some of the weaker teams (ie. the ones that get the first crack at him in the waiver draft)

NJ_Devil_Boy
10-01-2003, 02:57 PM
I'm hoping Bicek gets selected. It's about time he got a chance at a regular NHL roster spot. He's played 4 season in Albany and has always been a Black Ace when it came to the playoffs. I remember him making a "threat" last year of returning to Europe if he didn't secure a spot with NJ last year, but besides that, he's kept quiet and taken it for the team. I'm sure he'd like a shot at the Stanley Cup every year, but he probably would love the chance to play in the NHL every night. Thanks for the great days in NJ Bicek. I hope a NHL team (not NYR, PHI, TOR, COL, DAL, DET) picks you. ;)

NJDevils#4
10-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Something doesn't seem right. No way Cameron would be protected unless he is involved in a trade or something. Something seems off here. I'm going to see if he's DEFINATELY on that list. If so, questionable call here, but hey, its Lou so I can't say anything bad.

Niedermayer21
10-01-2003, 04:08 PM
I like Scotty Cameron, but I think a trade may be a possibility. Lou must have something worked out. I can't believe he would let Giroux go for nothing, unless he figures Bicek or Clemmensen would be picked first. I know we can pull back a player after one is selected. At least I think we can??? :dunno:

I would have left Turner Stevenson unprotected. I wonder if Lou would bring back Claude Lemieux for one final encore? Does anyone know how much he is making this season?

Unthinkable
10-01-2003, 05:02 PM
NHLPA lists Claude Lemieux making $2.5 million for the season.

MattNJD
10-01-2003, 05:03 PM
I know we can pull back a player after one is selected. At least I think we can??? :dunno:

No we can't. The rule a team can't lose more than 3 players unless they allow it. If you select someone's unprotected player, you have to unprotect one of your protected players. Say that 5 times fast. :)

DevilFisch
10-01-2003, 06:03 PM
I don't know about this Scott Cameron-protected-so-he'll-be-traded idea. I think he'd have to be packaged with another player or a pick to get a #5 d-man to replace Giroux. Assuming Giroux does go.

Maybe the Devils will pick someone up at the waiver draft and leave Cameron unprotected as a result of picking them?

ZadorovNJD*
10-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Maybe the Devils will pick someone up at the waiver draft and leave Cameron unprotected as a result of picking them?

That's a possibility, but NJ picks last in each round after the non-playoff-team round...

Tao Jones
10-01-2003, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=Niedermayer27]I like Scotty Cameron, but I think a trade may be a possibility. Lou must have something worked out. I can't believe he would let Giroux go for nothing, unless he figures Bicek or Clemmensen would be picked first. I know we can pull back a player after one is selected. At least I think we can??? :dunno:[QUOTE]

That's right, if an exposed player is drafted, the team team losing the player may add another player to the protected list. Lou must know Bicek or Clemmensen are going first, then Giroux(and hopefully Maxim) can be protected. Cameron would be insurance if someone expected to be picked ahead of us is overlooked. Shrewd move Lou.:bow: Lou said he didn't expect to claim anybody, but that he would be "scouring" the list anyway.

brylin18
10-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Here's an idea: maybe you guys were overrating Giroux all along?

maybe he's not a top 4 dman, as evidenced by his slipping through waivers once already, being let go as a FA by the Islanders, and showing all signs of being a career minor leaguer?

Unthinkable
10-01-2003, 10:02 PM

maybe he's not a top 4 dman, as evidenced by his slipping through waivers once already, being let go as a FA by the Islanders, and showing all signs of being a career minor leaguer?

Maybe so, but in fairness I stated Giroux looks closer to a top four guy then a 6 or 7. IE: A solid 5 right now pushing upwards and not downwards on our current depth chart with everything he can do.

Tao Jones
10-01-2003, 10:31 PM
"..in order to sign a player after the draft, a team must expose another. Cameron is likely to be that player." - Rich Chere on Lou probably signing Albelin after the waiver draft.

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1065071441266400.xml

Welcome back Tommy.

PEli*
10-02-2003, 06:34 AM
That's a possibility, but NJ picks last in each round after the non-playoff-team round...

Don't forget that the waiver draft is basically everybody's trash on the side of the road. A lot of teams won't take guys because they realize that the majority of them are useless.

By the time the torch is passed to Lou, ten or fifteen guys may have been taken. I'd be surprised if more than two thirds of the teams in the league pick a guy up in the waiver draft.

ttnorm
10-02-2003, 08:01 AM

maybe he's not a top 4 dman, as evidenced by his slipping through waivers once already, being let go as a FA by the Islanders, and showing all signs of being a career minor leaguer?Being let go as a free agent is your best point although it assumes that the Islander organization knows what it is doing.

Giroux has been an all star on every level so far. His career NHL numbers are OK for a defenseman, 10 points in 27 games. That includes his 1 point in 11 games last year for NJD where he never looked for his offense.

I have seen his game and right now he looks like a solid #4 to me.

NJDevils#4
10-02-2003, 09:11 AM
The guy is far from a solid #4, the guy is going to be a carrer AHL'er. Devils have a really weak #5, #6, and #7 defensive core. We either go the young route which doesn't boast well for thier development or we go with a bunch of bums, take our medicine and wait for Martin adn Hale to get better.

Agreed. We dont' have Daneyko and Tverdovsky as #5 and 6 anymore. We were spoiled last year. Now we're going to pay. Hopefully Hale or Martin catches on and that becomes Hale/Martin and Brown as 5 and 6. But lets face it, Hale is no Dan-o yet, neither is Brown. Martin may be equal to Tverdovsky, but probably not yet.

Unthinkable
10-02-2003, 10:12 AM
The guy is far from a solid #4, the guy is going to be a carrer AHL'er. Devils have a really weak #5, #6, and #7 defensive core. We either go the young route which doesn't boast well for thier development or we go with a bunch of bums, take our medicine and wait for Martin adn Hale to get better.

I really disagree with the notion of Giroux being a career AHL'er. If god forbid something happens to our #3 our #4 this season, the list of versatile defensive players ready to step in and eat up all those minutes without making mistakes is a short one. Ray Giroux gets bumped up temporarily to the 2nd pairing while Brown and Albelin or Brown and Hale work the third pairing going with what he have readily available in our system today. Sean Brown wouldn't be prepared for or know what to do with all the extra ice time on the 2nd pairing and Tommy Albelin is much better utilized as Oleg Tverdovsky was last season. You can't run either one of them pedal to the medal game after game with Ray Bourque minutes -this much we know already. Transitioning from defense to offense, versatility at the point on the PP, versatility in killing penalties, the potential for chipping in with an odd goal or assist here or there without making poor decisions in his own end, and overall on-ice vision are all currently characteristics which you'd have to give the edge to Giroux right now in my mind.

I watched 193 points combined skating swiftly into the Devils zone the other night with Giroux showing no signs at all of being pressured by Thornton and Murray's offensive threats. That says something to me when a player fighting to make this team (cup of coffee spent in the NHL last year) can handle two of the top scoring threats in the East without looking as though he ever needs help from his defensive partner. The local NJ writers have all been saying for weeks how impressive a camp Ray Giroux is having. He looked confident and hungry against the Bruins to me. I'm of the opinion that he's underrated by a few fans moreso then overrated.

Unthinkable
10-02-2003, 10:31 AM
You can continue to jabber on how he compares to our Dmen but you have to compare him to other teams #6, I don't think he is close to most teams. He hasn't proven anything in the regular season to me and untill he does our bottom half of our defense is weak.

Come on Jason. You were the one who made the lofty Foster-Heatley comparisons last season not me. What exactly was it that Giroux did last season which was so piss poor and so far apart from what Tverdovsky, Smehlik, Albelin, and Daneyko brought to the lineup? Giroux holds his own here against other teams number sixes.

I Hate Tie DOMI
10-02-2003, 10:40 AM
Going through the waiver draft basicly means Bicek and Giroux are cut.

Not true. If neither one of them is picked they will both still remain with the Devils IMO. As a spare forward and a 6th or 7th defencemen possibly sharing the role with Tommy Albelin.

NJDevils#4
10-02-2003, 11:02 AM
I really disagree with the notion of Giroux being a career AHL'er. If god forbid something happens to our #3 our #4 this season, the list of versatile defensive players ready to step in and eat up all those minutes without making mistakes is a short one. Ray Giroux gets bumped up temporarily to the 2nd pairing while Brown and Albelin or Brown and Hale work the third pairing going with what he have readily available in our system today. Sean Brown wouldn't be prepared for or know what to do with all the extra ice time on the 2nd pairing and Tommy Albelin is much better utilized as Oleg Tverdovsky was last season. You can't run either one of them pedal to the medal game after game with Ray Bourque minutes -this much we know already. Transitioning from defense to offense, versatility at the point on the PP, versatility in killing penalties, the potential for chipping in with an odd goal or assist here or there without making poor decisions in his own end, and overall on-ice vision are all currently characteristics which you'd have to give the edge to Giroux right now in my mind.

I watched 193 points combined skating swiftly into the Devils zone the other night with Giroux showing no signs at all of being pressured by Thornton and Murray's offensive threats. That says something to me when a player fighting to make this team (cup of coffee spent in the NHL last year) can handle two of the top scoring threats in the East without looking as though he ever needs help from his defensive partner. The local NJ writers have all been saying for weeks how impressive a camp Ray Giroux is having. He looked confident and hungry against the Bruins to me. I'm of the opinion that he's underrated by a few fans moreso then overrated.

Actually I didn't mean to agree with Giroux being a career AHLer. Just his other points. Giroux will likely get a chance here, if not somewhere else. He's still not OLD, and does have talent. I just meant there is a dropoff at 5 and 6 this year while last year it wasn't as big of a dropoff.

Tao Jones
10-02-2003, 11:18 AM
I think if Bicek is claimed first, Lou will protect Giroux. If Giroux goes first, Bicek may still be let go, and Balomchnykh may be protected. Tough call, as Elias seems to like have Bicek around to speak Czech with and mentor.

Niedermayer21
10-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Brian Rafalski was about the same age as Ray Giroux is now when he finally made it to the NHL. I see a lot of Rafalski in Giroux. I would really hate to lose Giroux at this point.

Also, I didn't realize that Claude Lemieux was making so much money. If Lou could re-work Claude's contract, he may pick him up or trade for him after the Draft.

BTW, Tommy Albelin is in the new media guide, so consider him signed as soon as the Waiver Draft is over. That is good news. Between Larionov and Albelin, it is like having two coaches on the ice to help mentor some of the younger players. And yes, I would like to see Bicek hang around, if only to keep Patrick Elias happy. I still think Bicek can be a good penalty killer and a decent third or fourth-liner.

devildan
10-03-2003, 11:33 AM
No one off the devils was claimed.

MattNJD
10-03-2003, 02:17 PM
No one off the devils was claimed.

:) :yo: :) :yo:
We dodged an early season bullet. Now we sign Abbie, expose Cameron, and our defense is set. I don't know about anyone else, but I can easily live with

Stevens-Rafalski
Niedermayer-White
Albelin-Brown/Giroux

p.s. its so strange to NOT be typing Daneyko when thinking of our defense....

NJDevils#4
10-03-2003, 05:10 PM
:) :yo: :) :yo:
We dodged an early season bullet. Now we sign Abbie, expose Cameron, and our defense is set. I don't know about anyone else, but I can easily live with

Stevens-Rafalski
Niedermayer-White
Albelin-Brown/Giroux

p.s. its so strange to NOT be typing Daneyko when thinking of our defense....

I know right. I feel like he's injured or something and will be back soon. Crazy.

We def. dodged a bullet. I guess Lou knew something we didn't (as usual). My guess is that someone had their eyes on Cameron. :dunno:

MikeF
10-03-2003, 05:45 PM
I know right. I feel like he's injured or something and will be back soon. Crazy.

We def. dodged a bullet. I guess Lou knew something we didn't (as usual). My guess is that someone had their eyes on Cameron. :dunno:

Cameron will be exposed when the Devils offically sign Tommy Albelin.

NJDevils#4
10-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Ahh I see. Still wondering why Lou would risk Giroux when Cameron would be exposed anyway. Kinda odd.

Tao Jones
10-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Ahh I see. Still wondering why Lou would risk Giroux when Cameron would be exposed anyway. Kinda odd. My guess is Lou figured Giroux might be less obvious among the entire waiver pool. Cameron will have to clear waivers once Tommy is signed, meaning he will be exposed individually or as part of a smaller group. In this scenario every team will have to "ok" Cameron before he can remain with the organization. I'm not sure if this is the case,:dunno: but I am glad we still have everybody.:handclap: After the camp Clemmensen had, it will be nice to see Albany with 2 quality netminders. This gives us trade options for later in the season. Bicek is good insurance in case Rasmussen doesn't work out, or Turner's health remains questionable, as well as keeping pressure on Berglund and Gionta. Keeping Giroux takes a little pressure off of Brown and Albelin.

Personally, I would like to see Rheaume eventually suit up again for the Devils.

Niedermayer21
10-03-2003, 07:49 PM
We could have lost some talented players. Amazingly we didn't! No one will claim Scott Cameron. And what if they do? Not like he is the future of the franchise. He is a slick, smooth-skating, penalty-killer. He can play center or left wing. Maybe one day he will make the NHL. If not, he can help Albany win some games. I did like what I saw of him last season. I thought his stats could have been better, but I don't know who he was playing with each game.

Good job, Lou!!! :bow: :handclap: :bow:

MikeF
10-03-2003, 07:57 PM
We could have lost some talented players. Amazingly we didn't! No one will claim Scott Cameron. And what if they do? Not like he is the future of the franchise. He is a slick, smooth-skating, penalty-killer. He can play center or left wing. Maybe one day he will make the NHL. If not, he can help Albany win some games. I did like what I saw of him last season. I thought his stats could have been better, but I don't know who he was playing with each game.

Good job, Lou!!! :bow: :handclap: :bow:

Cameron's stats were not that great last year because he played most of the time on the checking line with Jason Lehoux and Brett Clouthier. He was also one of the rats top penalty killers last year.

Tao Jones
10-03-2003, 08:34 PM
I don't want Rheaume back with NJ. That would leave us with Gomez, Rupp, Larionov, Madden, Rasmussen, and Rheaume as centers and that would take a spot away from Berglund who deserves it after this pre season.

Rheaume can also play either wing. Turner is a question mark and I still think Rasmussen has something to prove. With Pascal we know what we are getting. I think Berglund would still have a spot as he can also play either wing and Gionta is having a mediocre camp.