what are the lines?

braino
10-02-2003, 02:29 PM
The Pens have their roster down to 25 guys. Surprisingly Beech was sent down, so makes of the top 3 lines?

I am assuming

Lemieux centers Straka and Koltsov
Fraft centers Morozov and Abid
Fata centers ? and ?

Help me out people?

Big McLargehuge
10-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Koltsov-Lemieux-Morozov

that's about the only guarantee at this point...

Doofis_L_Hipster
10-02-2003, 02:46 PM
Koltsov-Lemieux-Morozov

that's about the only guarantee at this point...

No way.

Straka will start off the year centering Lemieux. Koltsov on the right. This is basically the way they've been practicing for the better part of two weeks. Lemieux and Morozov haven't skated together for a while and almost certainly won't be on the same line opening night.

GoRyanMalone
10-02-2003, 02:56 PM
No way.

Straka will start off the year centering Lemieux. Koltsov on the right. This is basically the way they've been practicing for the better part of two weeks. Lemieux and Morozov haven't skated together for a while and almost certainly won't be on the same line opening night.

ditto

Koltsov71
10-02-2003, 03:30 PM
No way.

I agree.

The Tang
10-02-2003, 04:54 PM
No way.

yeah! now we can see if he has the scoring ability everyone claims he does.

Robert Paulson*
10-02-2003, 05:04 PM
No way.

You got it.

Doofis_L_Hipster
10-02-2003, 05:13 PM

I don't know if you're referring to Morozov or Koltsov here.

I imagine it's Koltsov, and although his hands will never catch up to his legs (how could they), I don't believe he has the 'stone hands' that some lamented and trashed him about. His speed alone will create many opportunities, and hopefully he will have the sense to learn from mistakes and start burying the puck. One could make a case that he has turned the corner looking not only at Koltsov's strong pre-season and scrimmages, but last year's WB/S playoff run where he was a point per game scorer and set up a few very pretty goals.

But I could also assume you were talking about Morozov. And we will find out about his scoring abilities too. For the Pens to have any chance at competitiveness, they're going to need Morozov to be able to produce independently of Straka and especially Lemieux. If Morozov can form a good pairing with some of the younger guys (he's pencilled in to have Malone and Fata as linemates) then it'll be all the better. I'm sure we'll see Morozov with all kinds of combonations, probably involving the likes of Abid, Kraft, Murley and the aforementioned Fata and Malone. Something has to click somewhere.

spence___
10-02-2003, 05:18 PM

Not really. Someone as knowledgeable as you would've realized that most of the points he posted with Lemieux came on the powerplay.

Big McLargehuge
10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
When was the last time Straka played center?

On a team with about 15 natural centers(or so it seems) why use a winger to center the first line?

Plus Koltsov is a left winger, not a right winger.

It just doesn't add up.

spence___
10-02-2003, 06:51 PM

It just doesn't add up.

Mario was playing right wing this preseason, so it would be Koltsov-Straka-Lemieux

Big McLargehuge
10-02-2003, 06:54 PM
I still don't like the idea of having a liability at center on the first line.

Straka is not, I repeat, NOT a good center.

spence___
10-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Straka is not, I repeat, NOT a good center.

Why's that?

louisleftwing
10-02-2003, 07:12 PM
I see a lot of this on the question of whether Koltsov is a left or right winger. Last year in W-B/S he was playing the left side as far as I understand. But, in the playoffs didn't Koltsov work on a line with Kraft and Sivek and play the right side?

Also, in the international competitions I've always seen him playing right wing. I'm pretty sure he played right wing in Russia, too. Then again, he's always been listed as a LW here at hockey's future.

Conclusion...Koltsov can play either wing.

spence___
10-02-2003, 07:25 PM
I see a lot of this on the question of whether Koltsov is a left or right winger. Last year in W-B/S he was playing the left side as far as I understand. But, in the playoffs didn't Koltsov work on a line with Kraft and Sivek and play the right side?

Also, in the international competitions I've always seen him playing right wing. I'm pretty sure he played right wing in Russia, too. Then again, he's always been listed as a LW here at hockey's future.

Conclusion...Koltsov can play either wing.

Yeah, It's not the issue Phantom's making it out to be.

Doofis_L_Hipster
10-02-2003, 07:55 PM
When was the last time Straka played center?

Last season. He worked the center between Sivek and Kraft some.

On a team with about 15 natural centers(or so it seems) why use a winger to center the first line?

Straka IS a natural center. The Pens don't want to have Mario go deep in his own zone to get the puck, or take all the strain of going directly against the other big center's of the Eastern Conference. Playing on the left will give him more space to make plays and less of an area to cover, which will pay dividends over the course of an 82 game season.

True, which is why, if anything, Morozov should be on the top line. But with the speed Koltsov has (which Mario wants on his line) and the chemistry they've shown, it's makes sense as a starting point. It won't be set in stone forever.

The Tang
10-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Not really. Someone as knowledgeable as you would've realized that most of the points he posted with Lemieux came on the powerplay.

i know most the points came w/ Mario on the pp. thing is, all i hear is how morozov "broke out" 2 years ago, and that he will get 25 goals this year, which i think is bs. you should know i have nothing good to say about him, ever. people over rate him as bad as leafs fans over rate Antropov.

SuburbanRhythm
10-03-2003, 06:13 AM
Straka IS a natural center. The Pens don't want to have Mario go deep in his own zone to get the puck, or take all the strain of going directly against the other big center's of the Eastern Conference.

That I think is my fear...Marty isn't the most durable guy, as we've seen. What's going to happen with him facing Holik, Primeau, etc night after night?