Welch & Eaves

Der Schweinehund
10-02-2003, 03:28 PM
The latest issue of The Hockey News (Oct.7) has a preview of the NCAA season and is projecting Eaves and Welch to be two of four finalists (along with Tomas Vanek and Jim Slater) for the Hobey Baker.

Regarding each...

Welch - Hobey Baker candidates are usually judged by their statistics, but Harvard junior defenseman Noah Welch excels at making sure opponents don't pad theirs. Welch's long reach and bone-jarring checks are well known, but his offensive contributions are just as important to Harvard. "He affects the game on both sides of the puck," said Harvard coach Mark Massoleni. "He's strong, physical, takes away space at the defensive end and he can generate offense." Last season, the 6-foot-4, 212-pound Welch was Harvard's top-scoring blueliner, finishing with 30 points in 34 games. He was also second on the team in penalty minutes (70). "When he came here, he was a big kid," Mazzoleni said. "Now, he's a big man. He made tremendous progress from his freshman to his sophmore years and I think he'll make the same kind of progress this year."

Eaves - Boston College senior center and captain Ben Eaves may stand only 5-foot-8, but that hasn't prevented him from being a giant problem for opposing coaches. Eaves has racked up 44 goals and 135 points in 99 games over three seasons. Injuries have prevented him from putting up even bigger point totals. Entering this season, Eaves is healthy and excited about his final season with the Eagles. But he isn't going to dwell on winning college hockey's most pretigious award. "To be honest, to win the Hobey Baker Award would be pretty cool," Eaves said. "But as soon as the season starts, it's all about the team. If I starte thinking about something like that, it would distract me from what I really want to do."

tom_servo
10-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Cool. Thanks for the contribution.

Doofis_L_Hipster
10-02-2003, 05:16 PM
When I think of how deep the Penguins blueline could be in a few years (Orpik, Whitney, Welch, Bissonnette, Focht, Lupaschuk) it's amazing. And that's not even thinking of guys like Fernholm, Nemec and Malenkykh that could have impacts, or counting in oft-injured Rozsival and Melichar.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Sounds very encouraging. :)

PensFan68
10-02-2003, 08:05 PM
I've really liked what I've heard of Welch, and it's great to hear he has some offense to his game too. I knew he was physical, which is why I like him, but I didn't know he had the offense to his game. Can't wait to see him.

Evilo
10-02-2003, 09:12 PM
That's great, thanks!
Welch is developping into a great prospect.
As for Eaves, still the same story.
Great prospect, but size issues.
Until he's against NHL competition we won't have an idea of what he can do.