Are we going to lose somebody tomorrow?

sting_fan
10-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Setting aside any personal bias, hate, distaste, etc., what is the group's feeling on the exposed Panthers heading into tomorrow's waiver draft? Are we going to lose one player, maybe two? Possibly three?

My take on the situation is we're going to lose at least one player: Bednar. At $500,000/season, there has got to be a willing GM in the league. Losing Novoseltsev, IMO, is probably a probability of about 75%. Had his contract been a little smaller, he'd more then likey be in the same boat as Bednar.

Those are the only two I envision losing. Mason is a possibility, but a small one at that. Trnka just flat out makes too much money.

Heimy
10-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Bednar is just too promising to pass on. Some smart GM will snag him and be grinning like a Cheshire cat by November.

I make Novoseltsev less than 50/50 to be taken. I honestly wouldn't myself. I just haven't seen enough progress from him to warrant it.

I believe Trnka has a 75% or better chance of being snapped up. $1 million is a bit steep for a 3rd pairing guy but he's a much faster skater than Simpson and otherwise quite comparable. The difference between the 2 is Simpson is known as a character player and a good guy in the room. Is that worth a 1/2 million more? We'll see.

I've thought about these players a lot today and unless there are character issues we don't get to hear about I can't understand Dudley's thinking.

Thewbacca
10-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Though if one of these players gets picked up it could be easier to negotiate with Bobby Orr concerning Horton. But that of course won't be a concern if Dudley is truly not going to sign any bonus contracts.

Captain8
10-03-2003, 07:12 AM
Setting aside any personal bias, hate, distaste, etc., what is the group's feeling on the exposed Panthers heading into tomorrow's waiver draft? Are we going to lose one player, maybe two? Possibly three?

My take on the situation is we're going to lose at least one player: Bednar. At $500,000/season, there has got to be a willing GM in the league. Losing Novoseltsev, IMO, is probably a probability of about 75%. Had his contract been a little smaller, he'd more then likey be in the same boat as Bednar.

Those are the only two I envision losing. Mason is a possibility, but a small one at that. Trnka just flat out makes too much money.

I rate the odds of the exposed players being selected as follows: Novo - fair to small chance; Bednar - small chance; Trnka - very small chance.

I think Novo is a player that would draw interest simply because of his speed, which many GMs particularly covet and can use in all situations. Bednar fits a different profile -- he needs to play on a scoring line with talented players. A good number of GMs may not be willing to allocate room for a player of his ilk this early.

Anyway, the exposed list starts to look worse as the apparent acrimony between Dudley and the Bobby Orr camp increases.