What kind of talent does Morozov posess?

KingTY
10-03-2003, 05:07 PM
A lot of people here, dont seem to be too high on him. IMO he's a pretty young, dynamic player. Really good offensive upside, just needs to work on his "D"

Will he play with 66 this yr on even strength?

without Lemieux, how productive would he be?

and lastly, predict his point totals for this yr

GoPenguins
10-03-2003, 05:17 PM
The fans here are not too enthusiastic about Morozov's skills here as the only time we've seen him anywhere near his best is when he's been paired with Mario Lemiuex. Lemieux can make anybody look great. The key to Morozov is he needs to show the Penguins fans he can post great numbers without no. 66's help. With the tides of change in Pittsburgh, Morozov needs to be viewed as someone we can depend on to score goals and shine. Right now, we are only seeing a decent return from him when he has Mario to help.

Mario is currently paired with Straka and Koltsov, so Morozov right now will only get to play with Mario on the PP (for now). This might be his last time to show he can anchor a line and produce.

I personally look for him to get perhaps 18 goals and 32 assists, with probably most of these points coming on the PP.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-03-2003, 05:39 PM
23 goals and 58 points. Evan without Lemieux, I think he can get 20 goals, but it will be the powerplay and the fact he won't have other team's best checkers on him.

Koltsov71
10-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Ask RaiderZero. I'm sure he'd love to tell you all about Morozov.

Evilo
10-03-2003, 09:50 PM
There's no doubt about Lexy's tools.
Some just discuss his toolbox.

Unholy Diver
10-03-2003, 09:52 PM
the best word to describe Morozov's talent is "Wasted"

Jacob
10-03-2003, 10:18 PM
He wasn't exactly a sniper before his wrist injury, and considering how bad he is at offseason training and conditioning I'm led to believe it'll take him some time to get back to his old self, and some would argue that he sucked to begin with.

15 goals, 35 assists.

The Tang
10-03-2003, 10:20 PM
he's got talent, no doubt, but he cant use it w/o Mario, where the problem lies. you shouldnt need a superstar to bring out your potential.

my guess: 15 goals, 27 assists (assuming he does not play on Mario's line). if he plays on mario's line, he'll get more. but then who wouldnt?

Koltsov71
10-04-2003, 06:45 AM
he's got talent, no doubt, but he cant use it w/o Mario, where the problem lies. you shouldnt need a superstar to bring out your potential.

my guess: 15 goals, 27 assists (assuming he does not play on Mario's line). if he plays on mario's line, he'll get more. but then who wouldnt?

Sounds about right to me.

Big McLargehuge
10-04-2003, 09:49 AM

I feel he's still a 20-25 goal and 30-35 assist player without Mario.

Cosmo_Kramer
10-04-2003, 04:49 PM
I think this year Eddie-O needs to keep Morozov away from Mario on even strength to fully see his potential.

I disagree. I think that what Morozov lacks is proper guidance and confidence.

During those games that he played with Mario, he was told what exactly he was suppose to do and as he started to produce he grew more confident in himself and his more productivity was evident. Even when Lemieux was not dressed, when Morozov had to make his own plays and scoring opportunities, he did just that and scored.

I could care less if Morozov feeds off of Mario. As long as he is producing I'm happy. (If he needs a playmaker to creat for him there is alway Eaves coming up)

Cosmo_Kramer
10-05-2003, 05:37 AM
All that proves is that he needs a great passer on his line at all times...

Alot of players need that. So what you are saying is that if he is not an all-star then he has no place being on this team? The Penguins have a plethora of playmaking "passing" forwards. What they lack is someone who can finish off their plays. Morozov can do that. Sure he would need someone to pass to him all the time, but didn't Jagr need that? Isn't that what he did with Hrdina?

who needs a guy that needs a hall of famer to get him to produce, all it means is that he needs Mario to get him to score points.

So what you are saying is that Morozov has shown no ability to score goals except when he was on Mario's line? Did you forget about his little title "The devil killer"?

Morozov can and will produce you goals. He has amazing talent in his hands. His head is just not as quick and he doesn't have the ability to know where to go to get the puck. That's why he needs someone like Mario to teach him and tell him where to go and what to do.

Alot of people have made their careers cashing in on the Superstars passes, (Robbie Brown, Marty McSorley, etc.) there is nothing wrong with that.

The Tang
10-05-2003, 06:52 AM
Alot of players need that. So what you are saying is that if he is not an all-star then he has no place being on this team? The Penguins have a plethora of playmaking "passing" forwards. What they lack is someone who can finish off their plays. Morozov can do that. Sure he would need someone to pass to him all the time, but didn't Jagr need that? Isn't that what he did with Hrdina?

So what you are saying is that Morozov has shown no ability to score goals except when he was on Mario's line? Did you forget about his little title "The devil killer"?

Morozov can and will produce you goals. He has amazing talent in his hands. His head is just not as quick and he doesn't have the ability to know where to go to get the puck. That's why he needs someone like Mario to teach him and tell him where to go and what to do.

Alot of people have made their careers cashing in on the Superstars passes, (Robbie Brown, Marty McSorley, etc.) there is nothing wrong with that.

1) if Morozov is as good as you claim, then he shouldnt need Mario to score. he may be a "devil killer" but other than brodeur, how many other goalies does he light up? answer: none. being good against a single goalie doesnt translate into being a good scorer.

2) i do have a problem with Morozov needed to feed off Mario. 1) it means we wasted a first round pick by getting a warren young or kip miller instead of somone with good. 2) i can pay somone half what morozov gets to do te same thing. 3) it says nothing of what skills they realy have. young dissapeared after he left the Pens, so did bown.

3) Morozov is in his 5th year. by this point he shouldnt need anyone to hold his hand like you want. Roszival and melichar dont and theye're younger. that excuse is bs. Mario will tell you where he wants you,go ther and he gets the pass to you. i takes less skill than for kip miller to pass the puck to jagr. the talent lies in being able to do that with everyone, knowing where to go and what to do. Morozov is lost w/o Mario. About 2/3 of his points these past 2 years have come as a result of Mario, and if you remember, Mario only played 24 games in 2001-01, and i dont think even half were with Morozov.

i can get anyone to play with Mario and do what theyre told and at a cheaper price w/o using a #1 pick. by your definition, all the youngs and browns are good players to, and just needed mario to straighten their head out so they can be good. sorry, thats wrong.

look out for orpik
10-05-2003, 09:22 AM
1) if Morozov is as good as you claim, then he shouldnt need Mario to score. he may be a "devil killer" but other than brodeur, how many other goalies does he light up? answer: none. being good against a single goalie doesnt translate into being a good scorer.

2) i do have a problem with Morozov needed to feed off Mario. 1) it means we wasted a first round pick by getting a warren young or kip miller instead of somone with good. 2) i can pay somone half what morozov gets to do te same thing. 3) it says nothing of what skills they realy have. young dissapeared after he left the Pens, so did bown.

3) Morozov is in his 5th year. by this point he shouldnt need anyone to hold his hand like you want. Roszival and melichar dont and theye're younger. that excuse is bs. Mario will tell you where he wants you,go ther and he gets the pass to you. i takes less skill than for kip miller to pass the puck to jagr. the talent lies in being able to do that with everyone, knowing where to go and what to do. Morozov is lost w/o Mario. About 2/3 of his points these past 2 years have come as a result of Mario, and if you remember, Mario only played 24 games in 2001-01, and i dont think even half were with Morozov.

i can get anyone to play with Mario and do what theyre told and at a cheaper price w/o using a #1 pick. by your definition, all the youngs and browns are good players to, and just needed mario to straighten their head out so they can be good. sorry, thats wrong.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Big McLargehuge
10-05-2003, 09:56 AM
As far as mid-90s first rounders go for the Penguins...Morozov was about as good as it got.

Wells, Berqvist, Hillier...ugh.

Slay
10-06-2003, 12:45 AM
What are you complaining about?

Lemieux, Kovalev, Jagr + several Chech players + Chech coach

I am sure you would make even Kovalchuk warming the bench at Pittsburgh that time.

Previous season Morozov had almost point per game. You just need to trust this guy otherwise don't complain!

The Tang
10-06-2003, 05:42 AM
Previous season Morozov had almost point per game. You just need to trust this guy otherwise don't complain!
thats because he was on the pp with Mario, and the pp at the beginning of the season was running at an insane %.

and the reason morozov never cracked the top two lines is because he never proved he deserved to be there. when someone was injured, he was the first one moved up and continued to show nothing worthy of top two line material.

Evilo
10-06-2003, 10:08 AM
One question for you Raider.
Did Milan Hejduk need to prove himself before being tossed on Colorado's first two lines?
Or was he put in a situation where for his confidence to go high, he's on the top two lines with all star players?
This type of thinking is what has plagued this orgnaization for years. Put talented players on the scoring lines and see what happens. Useless to bury them on the checking lines waiting for them to "deserve" to be there.
And BTW, I'm in no way comparing Hejduk with Morozov.
Just stating two different views. One that's proved successful (Colorado's) and the other that's been a failure (Pittsurgh's).