Panthers release Hoglund

Jiggs
10-04-2003, 11:41 AM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=56096&hubName=nhl

Panthers release Hoglund

10/4/2003

Jonas Hoglund's attempt to continue his NHL career with the Florida Panthers has ended.

General manager Rick Dudley confirmed that Hoglund has been placed on unconditional waivers for the purpose of giving him his release.

Five other players were assigned to the Panthers minor league affiliate in San Antonio as the team trimmed its roster its 27 players.

Since Florida has a few former Isles , they're a team that interests me alot.

Good news is that a spot is opened up for Kolnik...or was he sent down?Looks like Horton is a keeper and maybe Stewart too.

Coolburn
10-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Those sent down to San Antonio are the following:

Assigned left wing Gregory Campbell, right wing Juraj Kolnik, center Vaclav Nedorost, and defensemen Lukas Krajicek and Jeff Paul to San Antonio of the American Hockey League

I think Nedorost will be back once he is fully rehabbed & ready for full action. Looks like if Horton isn't signed, Weiss might just still be with the big club for the beginning of the season at least.

Chaos2k7
10-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Those sent down to San Antonio are the following:

Assigned left wing Gregory Campbell, right wing Juraj Kolnik, center Vaclav Nedorost, and defensemen Lukas Krajicek and Jeff Paul to San Antonio of the American Hockey League

I think Nedorost will be back once he is fully rehabbed & ready for full action. Looks like if Horton isn't signed, Weiss might just still be with the big club for the beginning of the season at least.

I really wanted to see Greg Campbell in camp this year. I hope he puts up huge numbers in the AHL. Nedorost, Krajicek... conditioning stints I assume...

V for Voodoo
10-04-2003, 12:45 PM
looks like the hoglund signing was only a precaution in case novoseltsev and or bednar were taken in the waiver draft

PanthersRule96
10-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Why did they send Kolnik down?

Acadmus
10-04-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this season...
Two of the three veteran players signed, Hoglund and Gill, are gone. The Panthers lost the #2 and #3 goalies in their depth chart in the waiver draft (and, worse yet, Hurme ended up with the Thrashers, so he gets 5 chances a season to embarass our team), Horton, Stewart, and Taticek are starting to look doubtful as far as being signed in the next 3 days...basically, the only thing different in this year's Panthers are the players are a year older and the goaltending's a little worse (due to an untested backup).

Thoughts?

Peter
10-04-2003, 03:04 PM
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this season...
Two of the three veteran players signed, Hoglund and Gill, are gone. The Panthers lost the #2 and #3 goalies in their depth chart in the waiver draft (and, worse yet, Hurme ended up with the Thrashers, so he gets 5 chances a season to embarass our team), Horton, Stewart, and Taticek are starting to look doubtful as far as being signed in the next 3 days...basically, the only thing different in this year's Panthers are the players are a year older and the goaltending's a little worse (due to an untested backup).

Thoughts?

Seems odd that the Panthers would sign two UFA's (Gill and Hoglund) and then release them a month or two later.

panthers44
10-04-2003, 05:15 PM
Seems odd that the Panthers would sign two UFA's (Gill and Hoglund) and then release them a month or two later.

They were depth signings. Gill obioudly wasn't good enough to beat out Van Ryn, Trnka, Lilja, etc. Hoglund couldn't beat out some of the younger fowards. I don't think it's odd at all, since they both basically signed try-out deals.

Rand
10-04-2003, 05:18 PM

Didn't Hoglund have a signing bonus too?
It's wasted money now.
I expected Hoglund to get a chance in Florida, and there was a bit in the news a week or so ago about Hoglund possibly being slotted in on the Panthers first line.

That can't look very good in the eyes of other players.
If they'll sign a guy, and release him in less then a month then I can't imagine too many free agents will be knocking on their door if they make a habit of treating FA's in such a manner.

This along with the mess Dudley made in losing Hurme for nothing I have to seriously question what he was thinking.

Acadmus
10-04-2003, 06:15 PM
They were depth signings. Gill obioudly wasn't good enough to beat out Van Ryn, Trnka, Lilja, etc. Hoglund couldn't beat out some of the younger fowards. I don't think it's odd at all, since they both basically signed try-out deals.

I don't think releasing them is odd at all, since those clauses were included in their deals. But I do think it's worrisome that, when management says it needs veteran leadership on the team, preferably at forward and defense, three guys get signed and only one makes the team. If a veteran presence was so important, why did Dudley rest on his laurels after signing Hoglund? He obviously didn't think he was a lock for the team since he included an escape clause in the contract. So then, where is the added scoring this team needs so very badly? Yes, one of the worst defenses in the league last year looks to be better (though the new backup goalie is unproven, and the loss of Mason means the Panthers better hope they don't lose Luongo and the new guy at the same time, since they've no NHL caliber backups in the minors), but teams still can't win if they can't score. Even if Olli pops in ten more this season, and offense improves the unlikely number of 10% over last season, they still won't be in the top half of the league. More likely, any improvement would be in the 2-4% range, which won't get the Panthers out of the bottom 10 in the league. Horton was one of the most consistent scorers in the preseason, and he probably is headed back to juniors. Hoglund turned out to be nothing. So who's left? Olli Jokinen and Viktor Kozlov. Nilson will pop in a few, Huselius may also get some, Bure could return to form, but no one else on this team has ever proven to be a reliable scorer.
It's basically last season all over again up front. Even with improved defense, the Panthers' offense was so bad last year that the d won't mean anything in the standings, and you can kiss the playoffs good bye for another year if something doesn't get changed.

PanthersRule96
10-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Everything is shaping up towards Horton and Stewart and probably Tatty, being signed. Horty and Stew didn't play in the Tampa game and are not in juniors, so obviously the contract is the only thing blocking their path. With Hoglund, Gill, and Hurme as well as Mason being gone, the money is there and with a physical presence, the panthers could go far. Screw leadership. The panthers brought in Odelein, much like the Marlins brought in Conine. A team that is younger can also benefit in different ways such as being naive to pressure situations such as the Marlins as they eliminated the Giants today. :yo: But, all in all, leadership is a little overratted. If a team has skill, they will learn from each other and become better together. Messier is there too. Gill is a loser who is pathetic at hockey. He has no offensive skills and couldn't probably even crack our AHL team. Hoglund was let go locking a spot for Hagman and now he has turned it on under pressure. He's the Olli Jokinen of 04 , but to a lesser extent.

Thewbacca
10-04-2003, 07:07 PM
I can't see Hagman doing any better then what Nilson did on that line.

PanthersRule96
10-05-2003, 07:25 AM
If youre referring to me and Hagman locking a spot, i mean on the team. Personally I think Hagman has a better offensive upside than Nilson.

Ohio Jones
10-06-2003, 11:01 AM
I wonder whether a guy like Stumpy Thomas might not have been a better fit than Hoglund as a depth signing to provide some leadership (and scoring ability) in Florida. He's still available for those who are concerned about an "all-kids, all-the-time" approach...