Who'll be our 13th and 14th forwards?

Jon Burke
10-04-2003, 11:41 AM
This has been brought up a lot, but I'd figure we could put it into a poll. Who will be round out our roster?

And one more question: what do you project to be our opening lineup?

MVP
10-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Ruutu and May

nucks2001
10-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Ruutu and May

so who bumps them out of the lineup? King and Keane?

Jon Burke
10-04-2003, 12:14 PM
My Opening Lineup:

Top Line: Brendan Morrison at center, flanked by Markus Naslund on left wing and Todd Bertuzzi at right wing.
Reasoning: Over the past two years, this lineup has piled up more than their fair share of goals and points. It's a wonderful mix of size, speed and skill. So why mess with a good thing? I say we keep this line together.

Second Line: Henrik Sedin at center in between brother Daniel (at left wing) and Jason King (at right wing).
Reasoning: Henrik has had a good pre-season and looks keyed up to have a fifty point season. He's always had the skill, now it's just the case of getting the ice time, power play time and confidence he needs to get those points. Daniel is behind Henrik in terms of development, but showed late last season and in the playoffs that he can be a solid second liner. I think he could score 20 goals this season. King has had a good camp, but we'll see whether he sticks for the whole season. I've been a backer of his for some time now and I think he has the shot, skills and hockey intelligence to contribute at the NHL level. I'm eager to see how he does, but I don't think he'll have a monster rookie season (if he even sticks at the NHL level).

Checking Line: Artem Chubarov will skate between Magnus Arvedson (left side) and Trevor Linden (right wing).
Reasoning: I don't know if I agree with my fellow Canuck fans who feel this would be "among the best checking lines in the NHL", but it certainly would be a solid checking line. All three players are good defensively and can contribute offensively.

Fourth Line: Mats Lindgren centering Matt Cooke and Brad May.
Reasoning: Cooke is better than a fourth liner, but he will still get plenty of ice time on the penalty-killing unit and would also likely see the occasional shift on a higher line to provide some more energy and to stir things up a bit. Lindgren is good on faceoffs and good defensively. An ideal fourth liner, but he won't score much at all. Brad May is far from one of my favorites, but he can hit and fight, and is ok offensively, so he's a pretty good fourth liner.

Top Defense Pairing: Marek Malik paired with Ed Jovanovski.
Reasoning: Another case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Malik and Jovanovski were a very solid defense pairing for us last year, and while some may argue that it's not really our top defense pairing, I think it is. Malik is a pretty good passer who is fairly reliable defensively and can be Jovo's safety net. Jovanovski may never win the Norris trophy, but he's a smooth-skating defenseman with good offensive skills and improving defensive awareness. He showed in last years playoff that he can be a clutch performer.

Second Defense Pairing: Mattias Ohlund and Brent Sopel.
Reasoning: Another familiar defense pairing with Canuck fans, Sopel is an emerging defenseman with good offensive skills (a nice shot and decent passing skills) who is decent defensively. Ohlund is a rock solid blueliner who is extremely reliable and can dish out nasty hits. Personally I'm abit disappointed he hasn't done that great offensively, but he's young enough that he may still blossom in that aspect. Ohlund is a good player to help bail out Sopel, who is prone to the odd boneheaded decision with the puck.

Third Defense Pairing: Bryan Allen skating with veteran Sami Salo.
Reasoning: Allen is a controversial player. Some people love that he's willing to play physical, but others are driven crazy as he seems prone to running around and playing headhunter. I fit into the second group, but remain hopeful because of his age. He is nevertheless a player that Vancouver desperately needs. Salo is a good two way defenseman with one of the best shots in the NHL and is reliable in his own end. A solid third pairing, but Allen has some maturing to do before I feel fully comfortable every time I see #5 step onto the ice.

Goalie Tandem: Dan Cloutier starting in the nets with Hedberg working the player's box door.
Reasoning: This is just sort of the default setting for the Canucks goalie situation, but Hedberg is just as good as Cloutier and could take over the starter's role at any time. Cloutier is a feisty, hard-working battler who is determined to win, all attributes that I like and lead me to believe that he can get us a Cup. I think that Hedberg looks like a good one, and I like that he can handle the puck (but hope it doesn't get us in trouble too often). I also like that he had that huge run in the playoffs a few years ago. If Cloutier again does poorly in the playoffs, we have a backup who can take over and get us deep into the playoffs, IMO.

In the Press Box: Mike Keane, Jarkku Ruutu and Jiri Slegr get free popcorn and drinks.
Reasoning: Keane, who I desperately hope we sign, brings a wealth of playing experience to the Canucks along with 3 Cup rings, being the only Canuck player to have any. He also is gritty, tough and solid defensively. I think he could definitely help us on the penalty-killing unit. Ruutu would be slightly above Keane on the depth chart, and brings a fair bit to the rink. Late last season, he was killing penalties and he could help us there again this season. He's a gritty guy who gets opponents off their game with his yapping. He is prone to some stupid penalties, though. Slegr is a solid defenseman who I like. He is a swift skater who's good offensively and he will be a nice depth guy.

That's my view of it anyways.

maruk14
10-04-2003, 12:16 PM
I voted other.

We need more Swedes, Hoglund was just waived by the Panthers, and NHLPA had his salary as 625,000. Could be had cheap.

http://www.fotw.net/images/s/se.gif

;)

MVP
10-04-2003, 12:28 PM
so who bumps them out of the lineup? King and Keane?

If King makes the team, he will not be on the bench, everyone on the organization realize that. So he would play on the second or third line if he makes the team which is definately a much higher spot than 13 or 14 forward.

i know Crawford likes Keane, but he is not signed yet. He probably will, but until than there is always the possibility for Burke to sign someone else like for example Steve Thomas, Adam Graves or Adam Oates. i am just saying those guys are still UFA, not saying we could or they want to come. Or just pick up a guy who is on wavier likes maruk14 said in regard to Hoglund. There is a lot of possibility open until Keane is signed. And after yesterday, Burke has at less close to extra 600000$ to play around.

Ruutu, i like the guy in the playoff but he is not as effetive in the regular season. He will once again be valuable contributor in the playoff but since we are talking about regular season where there is lot more room for offence, therefore Ruutu would probably has a lesser role in comparison to playoff.

May, he played 23 games last season, so his health status should be closely moniter especailly now that he has to provide more toughness than ever with Langdon gone.

maruk14
10-04-2003, 12:40 PM
I just noticed Arvedson, Lindgren, and Hoglund all played on the same team in the SEL, 93-95, and Arvedson and Hoglund are from the same town, Karlstad.

More Swedes I say ......

http://www.lammers.net/Merchant2/images/swedenhome.jpg

:D

incawg
10-04-2003, 12:44 PM
I just noticed Arvedson, Lindgren, and Hoglund all played on the same team in the SEL, 93-95, and Arvedson and Hoglund are from the same town, Karlstad.

More Swedes I say ......

http://www.lammers.net/Merchant2/images/swedenhome.jpg

:D

Hoglund is terrible, plus he's LW and there's no room for him. I'll pass...

canucksfan
10-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Right now it looks like it will be Keane and King.

Nalyd Psycho
10-04-2003, 12:49 PM
May and Ready. King has more to gain than Ready from being in the AHL. Ready has more to gain from practicing with an NHL team.

btw, 4th line = Ruutu-Lindgren-Keane

cnukfan
10-04-2003, 01:03 PM
As a Nuck fan living near Toronto, I have to endure a lot of Leaf games. Believe me when I say that Hoglund is of no use to us. We could bring Harold Snepts out of retirement for 625K and he would be more useful to us than Hoglund. :rolleyes:

nucks2001
10-04-2003, 01:42 PM
If King makes the team, he will not be on the bench, everyone on the organization realize that. So he would play on the second or third line if he makes the team which is definately a much higher spot than 13 or 14 forward.

i know Crawford likes Keane, but he is not signed yet. He probably will, but until than there is always the possibility for Burke to sign someone else like for example Steve Thomas, Adam Graves or Adam Oates. i am just saying those guys are still UFA, not saying we could or they want to come. Or just pick up a guy who is on wavier likes maruk14 said in regard to Hoglund. There is a lot of possibility open until Keane is signed. And after yesterday, Burke has at less close to extra 600000$ to play around.

Ruutu, i like the guy in the playoff but he is not as effetive in the regular season. He will once again be valuable contributor in the playoff but since we are talking about regular season where there is lot more room for offence, therefore Ruutu would probably has a lesser role in comparison to playoff.

May, he played 23 games last season, so his health status should be closely moniter especailly now that he has to provide more toughness than ever with Langdon gone.

I'm sorry but May and his 1+ million salary will not sit in the pressbox

MVP
10-04-2003, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry but May and his 1+ million salary will not sit in the pressbox

Cujo anyone?

maruk14
10-04-2003, 02:27 PM
As a Nuck fan living near Toronto, I have to endure a lot of Leaf games. Believe me when I say that Hoglund is of no use to us. We could bring Harold Snepts out of retirement for 625K and he would be more useful to us than Hoglund. :rolleyes:

My posts were made tongue in cheek, hence the winking smiley. I don't want Hoglund either, I just thought it was funny that they all played together.

Recapture some of the magic ;)

Jon Burke
10-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Cujo anyone?

I have 8 million reasons to pass on that one.

MVP
10-04-2003, 02:33 PM
I have 8 million reasons to pass on that one.

No doubt, i guess that just prove sometimes 1 millions forward could be on the bench. It is a professional league, ice-time depends on performance and not the salary.

Jon Burke
10-04-2003, 02:41 PM
No doubt, i guess that just prove sometimes 1 millions forward could be on the bench. It is a professional league, ice-time depends on performance and not the salary.

Well, even if May started off as a healthy scratch, the reality of the NHL is that injuries DO happen. That alone could buy him a fairly good number of games. Throw in the fact that other players might get scratched or sent down to the minors, and it's easy to see May getting in on a fair number of games. At least enough to make it somewhat worthwhile investing $1 million in him.

And I think he'd probably play over Ruutu as he is a better fighter with better all-around skills, so I think May would make the opening night lineup anyways.

C'nuckleHead
10-04-2003, 02:49 PM

But he's due for a breakout season! :) (Old Toronto joke)

MVP
10-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Well, even if May started off as a healthy scratch, the reality of the NHL is that injuries DO happen. That alone could buy him a fairly good number of games. Throw in the fact that other players might get scratched or sent down to the minors, and it's easy to see May getting in on a fair number of games. At least enough to make it somewhat worthwhile investing $1 million in him.

And I think he'd probably play over Ruutu as he is a better fighter with better all-around skills, so I think May would make the opening night lineup anyways.

Not going to argue about that but if he is playing on the fourth line and total of 45 games this season due to various injuries than would you consider him a Top 12 forwards, assuming there are 12 forwards that plays more games than he does?

i am not saying he is now worth it, his salary status was not mentioned by me.

Waveburner
10-05-2003, 12:24 PM
I voted other...

Keane will be the 13th forward, and the other spot will be left open for callups later on...

cc
10-05-2003, 12:47 PM
the canucks are allowed 23 man roster so they can both make it in a way. King may start with the club and will get sent up and down for conditioning stints in the farm if he ends up in the press box for too long.

keane will probably be 13 and king 14.